Underdog with secret OP power

Why is the genre so popular?

>Tats
>Underdog

because the average person sees himself as an underdog and likes to think he has great untapped talent

This

Any notable examples, I remember mx0, DMC not really superpowers but will work, Index and thats about it.

Tat's isn't an underdog and just being able to negate powers isn't OP at all.

With the correct use it is (Akashic Records)

>Tat's isn't an underdog
Yes he is. Only his sister goes to the 1st class with a badge on the arm.

I WANT TO KNOW WHAT IS INSIDE TOUMAN'S ARM
I HAVE WANTED TO KNOW THIS FOR AT LEAST SIX YEARS
FUCK

>Onii-sama
>Underdog
>Present-day Shirou
>OP

MGTOW manifesto

How is making swords OP?

Shirou is a shitter though? He dies constantly and the few times he accomplishes something it's with most of the work done by someone else like borrowing Rin's mana

But Shirou is weak. You should have Shiki up there.

Were there any plans for another season there? I feel like they introduced a lot of shit in the last episode or two that they meant to expand on

>Being able to negate powers in a where where 99% of people are only strong because of their powers
>Bad luck but not really
I like IB but I'm not gonna lie to myself and say that it isn't a clever way to make something OP seem like its not.

What about a Overdog with a weak ability or goes off of word of mouth

Series starts with him as bullied underdog who barely got to magic school. Then it turns out he's actually Jesus to make evil bullies look like retards.

Mahouka is so fucking pathetic.

It really isn't though. There are just so many ways it can be overcome. At best it keeps Touma alive during his fights. He has to win fights through other means almost every time.

calm down fidf

What if the underdogs secret power is super autism?

>other means
This is exactly what I'm talking about when I say "clever".
No shit he can't win fights with only IB, it negates powers. Him not being able to win with it alone doesn't make it not busted.

Devil may cry?

Oniisama isn't an underdog, Shirou is a total shitter and Touma's OPness comes from his plot armor not his actual power.

That said, yeah this is really common. I remember when basically every magic battle academy shit had rankings or caste systems in place and the MC was always at the bottom or whatever.

Appeals to chuuni.

IDK first dude.
Shirou is hardly underdog status. There were plenty worse than him in the series and plenty better. I think he was pretty average overall, he just didn't know anything about the Grail/Magic.
And his 'secret power' is hardly OP, it literally is only good vs Gilgamesh unless he goes full an hero status and becomes Archa who can do everything.

TouMAN is something else entirely, his OP power is making people think he's not OP in a world where everyone seems to know that he is OP if he manages to punch you.
But he's a madman.

They are literally me.

But it never stands out as the key factor to winning a fight and is often never used at all. It serves its purpose, but it's ultimately Touma's ingenuity combined with outside factors that wins the day.
In terms of game balancing. It's useful, but not an auto-include even in a magic dominant meta. The Imagine Breaker isn't OP, it's balanced.

god I hope not. that shit was hot garbage

its fun

Classic case of "You wanna know more? Read the novel, friend!"

Unless you're unable to read and transliterate Japanese, in which case you pray that the novel is picked up by someone who can.

There was that Bahamut anime. Not Shingeki, but the other one where the heroine had a tramp stamp. The MC was called the "Weakest Undefeated" because he liked cherry-tapping his opponents with training robots while hiding his actual personal robot, which was a god-machine with time-altering capabilities.

If Touma is so OP then why couldn't he beat Mordred

Except that his "power" didn't suddenly manifest itself unbeknownst to him, he knew he had it all along, and a select few did as well. He was known as the best of the best, I'm not really sure you can group him with those other guys.

Maybe because that middle character in 2004 started the trend?

In the first episode and every one after they realize he's just the best. He's in no way an underdog
>b-but muh nameless faceless students called him a weed

You clearly didn't watch the anime

Because it's every preteen's dream. "No, I'm not actually just an unpopular scrub. I have a secret power that makes me special!" Makes series sell like hotcakes.

Shirou is weak as fuck
His only real power is to be the only counter for Gilgamesh.

It's the kids expecting to get a letter to Hogwarts effect.

Touma literally can't do anything if someone just snipes him from afar

Never read past Chamber of Secrets. Does Harry fall under this trope?

It has much more potential to be entertaining than power levels right off the bat.

>Touma
>OP

IB is an equalizer.
Dragons are irrelevant against everything IB can't equalized.

He's weak to gun.

Because Touma is best boy and we're in love and we're gonna get married

>bullied underdog
How and fucking when was Jesus an underdog? There was a clear reason why he barely got in and it made sense in the story's perspective.

But bullied? You fucking blind or something?