Why did this series ever get popular?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/cEHoVwxz0W4
twitter.com/koi_81
youtube.com/watch?v=NUM8Fp7KUyg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Grandiose martial arts fagbattles.

Because people liked it.

Started off really cool then became DBZ with swords with the author running out of ideas faster than I can ejaculate.

Rukia.

Neat character designs.
A strong start. People really like the SS arc and there's a significant number that insist first arc was even better than that.

Stylish art, hot women, creepy monsters, and super cool swardz. Honestly you have to be pretty homosexual or feminine to not like the start of it.

The SS arc was very tense, Kubo is good at introducing characters but can't, for the life of him, make them relevant or keep them interesting.

It´s a shouned where the protagonist isn´t the "dude austim lmao" retard child that is so common (Naruto, Luffy, etc.)

Normie characters who appealed to normies.

>Toshiro
FTFY

MIAGETA YOZORA NO HOSHITACHI NO HIKARI

>Why did this series ever get popular?
Different reasons.

He had plenty of ideas, they could just be simplified as "add new character".

concept was good, art was decent, and was unlike the other big shounen at the time.

it went south quickly as soon as bankai was introduced

This x 100000000.
That opening alone hooked a lot of people

Only because it looked cool, and the creator has a superb sense of fashion.

The captains were cool as fuck.

Fucking this.

Soul Society > Ennies Lobby

Soul Society. Everyone agrees that this is where Bleach really took off and solidified itself as one of Jump's biggest flagship titles. Soul Society is still regarded as one of the best shonen manga arcs of all time.

Aizen Sousuke

>Soul Society is still regarded as one of the best shonen manga arcs of all time.
By who?

I had so much potenial. The substitute shinigami premise should have been kept instead of going straight into a powerlevel shitfest.

literally the first thing I heard

what episodes is the arc in the anime
and can i skip to it

Style. No personality though. Soul Eater should have been bigger.

just watch the first episodes. It doesnt take long to get to soul society and none of it will have the same impact if you skip the first episodes. Lots of hidden parts that seem irrelevant in the ghost busters.

Asterisk is great but OP9 is the best one.

search animefiller list
skip all filler episodes
bleach has one amazing fights and soundtrack.

The anime had some good music.

It's a shame the manga died so anticlimactically.

21 I think, but you can skip to 25 or so.

The only people who matter: Nips.

The first episodes also have a really good artstyle that later episodes get rid of due to budget.

LE BLEACH IS BAD MAY MAY
It's just as bad as one piss and naruto. The real question when will these meme threads die

The character and art style in general was rather unique at the start. Kubo's strongest point is making shit look cool. Story is less a priority to him, hence why it lost popularity. Eventually he just gave so little shits that his art began to suffer as well.

>implying Ichigo wasn't the most autistic of them all
He had the least personality between the old big three mcs, and that's a fucking achievement. He just got more disappointing and bland as the manga progressed too.

Why people like one piece?

Stop deflecting and accept that some people don't like what you like.

He was only useful as a way to get more interesting characters involved by his presence. Who then get ignored for newer ones.

thanks
not wasting hours watching a shit shounen for one good arc

Naruto was worse. I'd rather Ichigo's "muh protect" than Narutos constant talk no jutsu and "muh sasuke".

No one gives a shit about One Piece outside of Japan. Even Bleach had a larger following. And even in Japan they prefer Detective Conan, Sazae-san, Crayon Shin Chan, etc. anyway.

I dont like bleach. What I am saying is that the whole big three is TRASH singling out bleach as the only trash one is stupid

They all boil down to "muh power of friendship", "I fight for my friends", etc.

I really liked the techno punk style of the earlier ost, that really helped make it stand out. Getting rid of that in favor of the pseudo orchestral shit was a much bigger issue than any changes in animation. It's actually pretty cool how Pierrot kept the animation of the Bleach anime to a decent standard especially when the manga was declining and the cancellation was announced. Pierrot's handling of Bleach and Naruto at the same time was fucking amazing compared to how Toei is fucking up DBS and OP.

Ichigo is a literal plot device man. Naruto has a boring, annoying, predictable personality. Ichigo has no personality.

>And even in Japan they prefer Detective Conan, Sazae-san, Crayon Shin Chan, etc. anyway.
That's friendly TV though. One Piece is the most popular manga back in nipland.

>Ichigo has no personality.
I disagree.

This show wasn't really popular in america though, right?

Bleach was HUGE in America. Where do you think the "Big 3" title came from?

A god-tier first arc, a good opening, a solid character design, and a comfy setting. Naturally, all of that degraded away over time until it congealed into a big blob of shit.

>A god-tier first arc
Yes, Pre-Shinigami really was the best. The SS arc was what ruined the series since that's the arc that made it full shonen instead of a comfy Japanese ghost-busters.

At least Bleach had the Kubo and Aizen factors carrying it ironically. Watching Bleach crash and burn was pretty entertaining and knowing Kubo was doing it half intentionally as a fuck you to Jump was nice. Would be cool if someone could post the last arc reaction compilations, I might have it somewhere. On the other hand watching the Naruto Trainwreck in its last arc with Kishimoto going from Obito to Madara to Tree Queen was just sad.

Naruto actually had a satisfying resolution though. Not to mention an actual final fight that is more or less the pinnacle of the series.

>knowing Kubo was doing it half intentionally as a fuck you to Jump was nice.
Why do some of you keep pushing this meme?

Soul Society also dragged out way too fucking long.

>kewl designs
>fresh artstyle
>kubo knew how to draw nice clothes
>everything until the soul society was great
>bankais
>great openings in the anime

it was the cool kid in the block of anime until it grew to be an oldfag trying to skate in his 40's.
orange orange opening is still a nostalgia trip for me tho.

youtu.be/cEHoVwxz0W4

This is the last one I saved.

>Naruto
>final ninja wars arc
>satisfying resolution
Fucking please user. It was awful, a complete mess. Kishimoto made Madara into the biggest meme villain ever conceived next to Aizen, but the tone was entirely different. Kubo just rolled with the bullshit and embraced it, Kishimoto had no clue what to do and threw it all away for the tree queen.

Can you at least agree that Kubo stopped caring long before his manga ended? He didn't take anything in the last arc seriously and basically winged the entire thing.

tomboipucci

Because it was unique, gritty, and fun when it first started.
Kubo literally should have just stuck with high school ghost busters instead of introducing the Soul Society and Shinigami so early on in the series.
The Soul Society Rescue Arc should have been the final arc in the entire franchise in my opinion, keeping the Soul Society in general one big mystery leading up to it.

>Can you at least agree that Kubo stopped caring long before his manga ended?
I think he cared a lot since it still kept on pushing when his health went to shit in the last three years. Kubo could've easily said "fuck it" and just abandoned the series.

It was pretty fresh take on the genre and pioneered many things that now became cliches.
Then it became a parody of itself.

>The substitute shinigami premise should have been kept instead of going straight into a powerlevel shitfest.
wasn't it in danger of cancellation during the substitute shinigami arc?

>Kubo could've easily said "fuck it" and just abandoned the series.
Yeah, and then get sued into oblivion.
Aren't they under contract?

>Aren't they under contract?
Then he could've pulled a Miura or Togashi.

At the same time Bleach was making him a lot of money, and a series that successful and can be a once in a lifetime deal for a mangaka if he's lucky to get one at all.

That's probably how it is with a lot of shonen. YYH first manga arc was similar to Bleach's first arc but had to be changed and was heavily shortened in the anime. Funny enough Bleach was first rejected from Jump for being too similar to YYH I think.

Honestly the Substitute Shinigami Arc in the beginning was so fucking perfect. Could have been a chance for Kubo to return Bleach to its roots.

I'm still upset that Unagiya wasn't a former substitute shinigami.

IIRC he already had a failed manga (Zombie Powder) and needed Toriyama's recommendation for Jump to even speak to him again. I don't think abandoning a well-selling manga is an idea you have at that point.

Source me up.

Being a successful mangaka sounds so fucking shitty...

twitter.com/koi_81

The worst part about that chart is that I literally do not remember 3/4ths of it even though I religiously read it each week. That's how underwhelming the series was during the final arc.

Author wasn't cut out for shonen manga. First arc was great but when the focus shifted to pure action it felt like dollar store dbz. Shame he never tried for a different magazine and genre.

He was a masterful artist, being able to draw both fast and able to convey emotion incredibly well, but not a very good writer. At least not one that could keep up a steady quality or writing for an extended period of time. If you have those two genius traits, it's not hard to be a successful mangaka. Oda has both, and he also knows what his story wants to be about. Kubo only had one, and he lost even that as he got tired.

AND WHEN YOU FEEL THE PRESSURE

He should be a character designer for games or light novels.

>early parts were pretty good
>several years of releases later
>everyone has a bankai
>main cast have powers on top of powers on top of powers
>the bad guys are just getting silly
>eventually wraps up, good ends all around
>first movie or two were pretty good at least

I seriously cannot think of anything original Bleach did that has become staples in the genre.

Bleach was good for most it's run and it's better than most shonen

i wanted to bone her hollow holes

>Oda has both, and he also knows what his story wants to be about.
Nice try, but One Piece has been severely suffering from the same issues Bleach did.

>Kubo only had one, and he lost even that as he got tired.
I wonder why he didn't hire a competent writer... Can't mangakas do that?

>dbz
An awful comparison. Saint Seiya makes more sense
Oda's not a good writer he just had a decent formula which is getting increasingly stale. Still better than Kubo though

>first movie or two were pretty good at least
The 4th movie fight scene in the beginning was pure fucking sex
youtube.com/watch?v=NUM8Fp7KUyg

They can but why would hw? Also Kubo doesn't sound like the type of guy that likes to work in groups or is tied down when it comes to his art, if his interviews regarding Jump are any indication.

>I wonder why he didn't hire a competent writer... Can't mangakas do that?
They can. From his interviews, Kubo seems really, really protective of his work. He even stated that he wouldn't let his assistants do much because he didn't want their influence to show.

>everyone has a bankai
That's not true and you know that, no one other than the captains and some of the lieutenants had bankai, and the lieutenants are supposed to train for that shit because they often become the new captains when their captains die or retire. Really Ikkaku was the only exception and you could say that it's okay because he was kind of the unofficial lieutenant of Kenpachi.

1. Everybody looks cool. Kubo didnt give a shit about the story, he just wanted to draw cool people doing cool things and thats what shonen anime watchers care the most about.
2. Because every single organization in the show had a clear power structure it was really easy to build hype by revealing their rank. For example, most of the hype leading up to the soul society arc was based on Renji and Ichigo being evenly matched and Renji was only lieutenant, and then Byakuya reveals that he's a captain and utterly destroys ichigo. So when they invade soul society and you learn about the gotei 13 and that 13 fucking Byakuyas are roaming around every new encounter was full of hype.
3. Same thing as 2 mostly since the Arrancar had the same structure with the Espada at the top, but with the new introduction of the highest ranking members being further divided by individual power rankings, which was subverted when Ulqiorra revealed his third form and shot the hype this series had to an astronomical level.
4. Pretty varied powerset from the Zanpakutos made most fights unique. You could get extremely generic powers like Ichigo and Zaraki to cooler but still somewhat uninspired like Byakuya and Toshiro, to the really interesting like Izuru and Kyoraku.

What exactly is worse about Kubo's writing over other mangaka? I mean it's not good but let's not pretend that every other mangaka is good

Well I didn't state anything other than that. Being able to keep up the quality is really what I'm talking about, and Oda knew to put the story level low to never hit a bar too high that he cannot live up to in the future. You could say the formula is the only reason why it works.

His writing is literally what Dragonball super is right now. Random outta nowhere powerups every other weekend

in America, Latin America and Europe it was second only to Naruto, it also had an usually older fanbase than Naruto, and a lot more female fans

Bleach has a really good and unque setting and characters other than ichigo got their chance to shine well except for chad

Why do people shit on Kubo for writing two rescue arcs, but never shit on Oda despite writing more than two rescue arcs himself? Was it that they were handled better? This whole Sanji one was pretty lame in my opinion.

No wonder that fag sucks so hard.

I think it's less to do with his writing being bad and more to do with his writing not standing out from that more or less bygone era where everyone was trying to be the next dragon ball z, relying on transformations, power level logic, and similar to meet new challenges.

Because YuYu Hakusho was great and loved by all.

Most of them do that though. It's not a problem only Kubo has

Too many abandoned plot threads. That happens in a lot of live-written fiction but they are very glaring in Bleach. He set up things then they went nowhere, or were forgotten, or reconnected, way too often. Way way too often. More often than comfortable.

>YuYu Hakusho was great
The last arc says hi.

People missed Yu Yu Hakusho so badly that they accepted this as a good enough replacement.