Anyone else hate that all old TV anime have way too many episodes...

Anyone else hate that all old TV anime have way too many episodes? I don't trust most shows to keep their stories interesting and productions together for 12 episodes, never mind like 50.

Get a fidget spinner you mongoloid.

Well in the case of Macross it has a coherent story and production quality but it does use stock footage for fights like a lot

I've always been of the mind that 40-60 is the ideal length. Any longer and it tends to drag/be bogged down with filler, any shorter and you sacrifice opportunities for character development

Yeah, it's dumb. I can think of very few anime which actually warrant their length. I typically just watch only the best episodes.

Kill yourself, you fucking casual.

No, fuck you

Coherent doesn't equal interesting, and I just used Macross as a famous example of an old and long show.

Most of my own favourite shows are 2 cour. I feel that 2 cours are the perfect length when used right, the problem is that so many shows fuck it up. Like the absolute hordes of 2 cour action shows from the late 90s up until today which have the 1st half be uninteresting episodic plots, and rush a pointlessly intricate grand narrative into the 2nd half. But when every episode is used well, I think there's plenty of time for every part of the narrative to shine. A great example of this is the best show in the last 2 years, Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu. Covers a century long storyline and fleshes out multiple generations of characters in 25 episodes.

>kill yourself for not wanting to watch poorly written, low production garbage that only exists because TV networks demand an abritrary amount of episodes to be made before they run a show
Get higher standards, you fucking pleb.

The Wire and Sopranos managed to do it.

The best show is Urusei Yatsura and it is nearly 200 episodes long though.

my favorite animes

Hardly needs that many though.

>uninteresting episodic plots
It seems you have the disease called shit taste.

Ignore the samefagging autist, OP. You're right, but most retro anime fans on Sup Forums are plebs who think they're somehow special for consuming entry-level retroshit like Urusei Yatsura that everyone has heard of. It's special snowflake syndrome taken to its autistically-screeching limit.

Back in the day both anime and series could pull it off. Sure, it was not perfect and the short ones (being the ones with 24 or so episodes) where better than the ones with 70 but they could pull off longer stories and a better pacing.

It´s all about how many episodes a show actually need to tell a story the way it wants to tell it.

These days they either streatch or rush most of the time but there are still some shows that get it just right.

The smaller format didn't really start until the 90s, but shows being at least 26 episodes was the standard before that. Production, scheduling, budget, and marketing were just altogether different in those days and the late night market didn't exist.

It doesn't need any, but I would have watched 100 more.
These shows being mentioned in this thread aren't even that long in anime terms.
Stuff like Chibi-Maruko, Shin-chan, and Nihon Mukashi Banashi run for thousands of episodes. Dragonball, Gintama, Naruto, and One Piece are hundreds going on thousands of episodes.
60 is nothing.

They were made for children who never got tired and critical of something they like.

fucking millennials

It's not about being "that" long. I just think that form should be chosen to fit content. Shin-chan isn't a thousand episodes long because it needs to be, but because money tells the creators to keep creating whether they have something good or not.

Yeah, but even shows with more mature writing like Gundam ended up having way more episodes than they needed to, and plenty of them were awful.

Doesn't bother me.
Sometimes filler are the best episodes.

>entry level
Hipster faggot.

any old show that is actually bad was filtered out with time leaving only the high tier ones left

There are plenty of bad old anime that people still watch

suuure

Besides, what has that got to do with the thread?

Gundam is a kids show.

>I've always been of the mind that 40-60 is the ideal length
Agreed. After 50ish for me I start to hope there is a Manga since I have no problem reading long running manga. But it depends on the show and the story being told.

>all old TV anime have way too many episodes
>all
No, only the garbage that you're watching

I was exaggerating, but please, list examples of not garbage shows.

>too many
It's only too many if you stop having fun.

> I typically just watch only the best episodes.
Seriously fucking kill yourself. Stop pretending to watch anime and go fucking watch anime.

Can't I watch anime without also having to watch bad anime?

They can't, because the majority of people who pride themselves on watching retro anime have only ever seen popular entry-level shit.

>if it's longer than 12 episodes it's automatically bad
Kill yourself. You're worse than speedreaders.

I didn't say that

No, because you have the brain of a flea.

What's wrong with only wanting to watch good anime?

Based on your posts, you obviously don't have the ability to grasp what either good or bad anime is.

What from my posts gave you that impression?

That isn't what you're saying, how would you know a show is good if you watch 3 episodes in a 101 episode series?

Typically for a very big show I'll look for episodes made by people I'm interested in or produced by a studio whose work I like.

>I've never been right about anything in my life, but this seems normal to me

I didn't say that

This is absolute bullshit, if you're exprienced with the medium and have any critical judgement at all, you can tell when something's gonna be interesting or terrible within like the first 5 minutes.

If you're an autist that blogs about anime, maybe.

Where do you think we are?

It's my main gripe against old shows and the reason I don't watch them often. Though the problem isn't the length in itself, it's the practice of forcing a 50+ episodes length on something instead of aiming for an optimal length specific to each anime. It usually results in many drawn out sequences and plot points, stock shots and low effort unnecessary episodes.
In short, these shows are boring not because they're long but because the pacing and story are sacrificed in order to meet this arbitrary lenght.

I suppose OP is referring mainly to anime that tell a self-contained story.
Comedies are a different beast.

That complaint could still be directed towards many anime today. Heck, that's the biggest problem with television, is that it forces its format. Discrete 23 minute chunks with ad breaks is typically not the way in which a story should be told.

24-26 is much better. Often stuff with 40 episodes is full of filler and tend to be episodic stuff with monster of the week and such. Take Ideon for example, everything is boring misunderstandings and running off until episode 13, and from there on it starts to be Gije's plan to capture the Ide of the week, until the last few episodes in which characters start to mature and culminate in the glory that is Be Invoked.

Of course, forcing a same format on every production always creates problems, be it episode length or episode count. But today it's not in the same way, like 1 cour often being too short. Or not in the same proportion, 2 cour being sometimes slightly too long. I think the ideal lenght for a lot of anime would be 1.5 cour. Too bad it doesn't exist.

It was normal back then, lots of filler episodes.

You can cut the original gundam into 24 and it becomes way better

Do you have a guide or something showing what those 24 are? I've looked for things like that before, and had no luck.

good filler is the heart of a show in a lot of ways. that's where a lot of character interaction and worldbuilding happens. only filler-no-skipping is real

If it's "good filler" as you're describing, then it's not filler. It's an integral part of the story. The whole thing with filler is that it's pointless parts of the story just added in to pad out the series.

Fuck that and fuck you

Escsflowne didn't have enough episodes

Depends on the show, I can't think of many one cour anime which wouldn't have just been better off trimming the fat as a feature film.

I think that the structure of TV shows lends to their appeal. Having each episode made to be its own individual, digestable piece of the story and the character's lives can be far more enjoyable than just having the core plot points thrown together in one long spiel. See: every TV show vs its compliation movie counterpart.

I don't think it's fair to use movie compilations as evidence for that

Well, everyone's gonna disagree on which TV shows are better than which original movies, so I don't have any hard evidence for it then. My point is that is just feels good to watch a single episode which has its own unique focus, it's own structure with a beginning, middle and end, and its own influences from the specific staff that worked on it. You're not gonna get that feeling from a movie or a short OVA.

It becomes a different debate if you put feature length movies into the equation. I was arguing about episode count specifically.

The first Hibike movie was good though. I haven't watched the second one but Shinkai liked it, for what it's worth.

Sure, that would be working with the format instead of having to use it. But not every show is Space Dandy. In case it wasn't clear I'm 100% not saying the tv format is inherently bad or anything.

kys OP you reddit tier faggot

>instead of having to use it
But it's only because they have to use it that they do use it. Art through adversity and all that.
>not every show is Space Dandy
I'm not just talking about episodic, experimental shows here. I'm talking about any TV show. All shows have episodes with specific focuses, whether it be focusing on one character, one plot point, one element of the world, one theme. All shows have individual structures within each episode. All shows have somewhat different staff working on each episode, with different episode directors, animators, sometimes writers. If you take the exact same linear, simple storyline, and tell it through both a movie and a TV show, both will feel different.
>I'm 100% not saying the tv format is inherently bad or anything.
Yeah, but since you were speaking negatively, I thought I'd argue the positive.