How come Westerners loved Keijo when both the anime and manga were huge sales flops in Japan?

How come Westerners loved Keijo when both the anime and manga were huge sales flops in Japan?

Hard mode: no "Japan has shit taste" or "the West has good taste" answers allowed, only serious discussion.

Fujo times.

>no "Japan has shit taste" or "the West has good taste" answers allowed
The West has shit taste
Japan has good taste

Because those girls scared the average nip? This was pretty much a sports manga without the flowery bullshit that usually surrounds females in such genre, and the closest thing to a self insert was dealt swiftly in the manga and didn't even appear in the anime. Also it didn't have enough yuri to keep the /u/ crowd excited.
It was girls giving their all playing a sport, without trying to look or act cute. That's why it flopped in Japan.

>Also it didn't have enough yuri to keep the /u/ crowd excited.
What? The hardcore yurifags I know love it.

>It was girls giving their all playing a sport
Hasn't stopped all-girls sports shows from selling well before.

the publisher did their best to fuck the manga in japan.

memes

Not enough ass men in japan

Explain?

Didn't the creator lose interest? I thought that was the reason for its cancellation.

i read stories about they treating the writer EVEN more like shit than normal writers are treated
giving him impossible times, rejecting his stories whitout reason, not promoting the series at all among other things

From what I read, the manga being axed was the publisher's decision; in fact, it was apparently decided even before the anime ended. So I guess, even though the anime flopped, at worst that was merely the final straw and the manga was already on life support even before then.

The Japanese don't watch anime ironically.

Manga was doing ok. They pumped money into an anime. Bluray sales were bad. Manga was doing ok. Mangaka told to gtfo.

Because it didn't have a beta male MC for readers to self insert

Japanese women are flat and the men don't like curves.

The author claims in a deleted post that the publisher never tried finding assistants for him.

The one true answer

the series is too progressive for the traditional japanese;
it features an all female cast that plays out like a bloodsport. not even the feminists of the west can understand how progressive it was

the people who likes it aren't buyers

Know why? Some bitch thought it was misogynistic or some shit?

it was so mysognistic it did a full 180 and became women empowerment

There are several factors regarding sales like marketing, merchandise etc. and they aren't all tied to the series' enjoyment by fans.
Maybe the publishers didn't think it was viable and scrapped marketing. Maybe it was the wrong target audience who are too busy fapping to other series. The merch was pretty sparse for an ecchi series.

I'm not sure who you mean by westerners. Threads were pretty dead on Sup Forums from what I remember so it wasn't that popular.

Twitter, ANN, MAL, Reddit, and many other Western anime fans liked it.

Gaijin are fucking retarded and stupid

t. Japanon

Because westerners didnt contribute shit to the sales.
How the fuck is this obvious shit even up or discussion?

Did you understand the question? It's "why did the West like it when the Nips didn't?"

>Threads were pretty dead on Sup Forums from what I remember so it wasn't that popular.
Threads were pretty damn popular actually. Keijo was one of the most discussed anime of Fall 2016. Even on 2ch Keijo was ranked in the top 10 most discussed anime of last year.

Because the girls are too old and busty for the average Japanese taste?

because it acknowledges America is superior

americans like the pawgs

What was FliFla's rank on 2ch?

Boobs, ass, cute girls not forcing themselves to be cute, flashy and ridiculous attacks. Also it was a hot blooded manga.
Keijo was fun.

They have different tastes.

There's quite a lot of shit that flourished in the West and failed in Japan, and vice versa.
Though, more often then not, if it fails in Japan, it fails everywhere, but then Ghost Stories.

Japan: ass, tits
Amurica: "sports"

the West has shit taste

Because your garden variety weeaboo is always on the lookout for the wackiest things Japan can produce. The premise is one of the most outrageous things in recent years and it's got fanservice spilling out the sides. Not that it isn't a great show, but its appeal to westerners is obvious. The Japanese were less likely to give it a chance.

>Even on 2ch Keijo was ranked in the top 10 most discussed anime of last year.
Well, I guess my point still stands with regards to sales. It was no more popular on western discussion sites than their japanese counterpart but it didn't matter for the sales anyway.

Americans love big tits and ass.

Couldn't have flopped that badly as a manga if it went over 200 chapters.

It caters to the American dream.

it got popular among normie weebs in the west for its meme factor

Better question is why hasn't the buying power matched with Yuri on Ice?

Tit for tat and all that, you know!

>enjoying "ironically"
What a stupid concept.

Two factors:
1) Weekly Shonen Sunday plays third fiddle behind Jump and Magazine in terms of readership. So the lack of readers will inevitably hurt all sales.
2) After the initial exposition and the east-west battle, author did a relatively mediocre job at world building. He had the ideas down, but the execution didn't work out well, which led to a decline. Sunday noticed this and told him to wrap it up, leading to the Ass Graduation Ceremony. Least it went out with a bang.

>What? The hardcore yurifags I know love it.
read the mango, they have men in it

Because the target audience is braindead people, very fitting for the American public.

A certain yurifag who also happens to track sales liked it.

>implying all shonen aren't for braindeads

Westerners only liked it because it was the least gay sports anime in a while, and saw it as a fun meme. Meanwhile nip otaku ignored it because they don't care about sports or Western maymays. None of the girls were proper waifu material anyway, and the whole "sport" of the series was pretty unattractive in all its pervertedness.

And kemono is popular in nip town because it is for the intellectual

when are you faggots going to finish translating the manga? there's like twenty chapters left.

I still think it was liked alright in Japan. Anime may have flopped, but I wouldn't call an 18-volume series disliked

This

You get densensitized from all the fanservice after the first episode.

When I feel like it

Culture, the type of comedy of the show is more "west" than Japan".

I really hate the fact that this show is considered a "comedy" and ironic meme by feminist and liberal anime fans.

Is it?

Japan is a bunch of idol loving faggots? I heard Inuyashiki is flopping with the pre-orders.

>Japan is a bunch of idol loving faggots?
Then why did Idol Jihen flop then?

Not enjoying ironically, watching ironically. They don't have ironic weebs.

The mangaka had been requesting a help from the publisher in the form of an assistant for months. The publisher just ignored him. It's as if it was their intention to slowly kill the series by overworking its mangaka.

Keijo is just weird. How can you take a 'serious' sports show seriously when the sport itself is so ridiculous?

Didn't stop GuP from selling well.

Honestly for how much fun the series is, the artstyle is quite mediocre.
Anime did a good job but you can't just save its genericness.
If this was drawn by a hentai artist it would have been more popular.

How did the manga end anyway? Did they win that Ass graduation tournament or whatever in the end?

Tanks are cool, though. This is just girls shoving each other with their asses and tits.

Good thing DxD next season got picked up by a hentai artist

It lasted quite a while and WAS animated, I wouldn't call it a flop.

It's not really serious, though

Japan has shit taste.

>if there are men it's not yuri
This meme again.

>If it's all female it's yuri
Here we go again.

That's also not true.

this

It's one of those series that ironic steam weebs love.

>This is just girls shoving each other with their asses and tits.
Well ya plus all the magic. And you say that like it isn't already cool

Hell no. Most hentai art suck.

Pretty much. The threads were fun though,

When is scanlation going to start up again?

It's what normalfags say to save face, because admitting to enjoying it would make you a weeb.

>only 2 or 3 buttjob hentai

WHY. WHY IS THIS FETISH SO RARE IN DOUJINS AND IN PIXIV. ONE NUKE WAS NOT ENOUGH. I REPEAT, ONE NUKE WAS NOT ENOUGH

There are two kinds of sport manga that sell well, fujobait usually with all male cast about hard work and shit, and cute girls doing sports and having "fun", Keijo was neither, it's action comedy and characters actually take this sport seriously.

Japanese people are scared by non-flat asses. They're strange and confusing to them.

this

Japan doesn't understand campy shows. It's why survival game club didn't sell well despite being praised by the west.

Honestly keijo is the only battle shounen show I've seen with actual character development that isn't just GET STRONK TO BEAT BAD. Which is why I liked it. That and they managed to make all their fan service plausible in world believable.

No, but as yurifags would say it's "yuri-friendly". Also from the little I've seen there seems to be some light yuri teasing.

The author wanted to put more things into the story, some of them partially made it into the volumes' extra chapters. One notable thing that didn't happen onscreen (for me) would've been Kazane's rematch vs. Mio.

Also, possibly because the girls were older than the magazine's (Weekly Shonen Sunday) target demographic, so the moe appeal could've been lesser than people might think.

Maybe the male otaku are really spending more money on mobage than anime-related merch, nowadays. And/or the japanese have a bigger soft spot for stories (things they can relate to, emotional appeal, etc.), than they have for tactics/strategy.

I was going to say it's because there are more assfags in the West, but then I remembered that Manyuu didn't do so well either.

So I suppose straightforward fanservice shows aren't very successful because they don't have needless drama, a self-insert MC, or a lot of /u/ bait.

I think that no one (except fighting game fanatics, of the type that can focus on a game's mechanics) can. If Keijo didn't have the comedy element and only had serious fights (again, without comical elements in it or between fights), there would've been an unintentional clash between the author's supposed intention (serious fights only) and the lack of perceived "realism" (in the sense that the characters aren't supposed to think that ass and boob fighting is a normal thing).

>Do tit & ass fighting
>Turn into fake boxing
>Turn into character development
>Turn into female social character development
>Fake boxing is suddenly grounded for what it is
>Turn into sport manga on steroids
>Turn into 100% hetro female sports manga
>Suddenly feminist empowered manga, in a magazine with a neutral angle towards males
I don't even
I just don't even
Its amazing
Now some faggot needs to finish the mango translation, so people can share it unironically.

Correct, Nozomi and her colleagues won against the East's current best (who might be all around retirement age, around their thirties), but most of them had to team up to win their fights (based Mio once again establishing herself as being above her Setouchi colleagues, by winning her match alone, quickly, without taking any damage). Personally, I think that the fact that they needed to team up to win shows that the characters still had room for improvement, with Mio being steps ahead of them.

The last "onscreen" match had an interesting theme (the burden of being the best player vs. the quest for continuous improvement and innovation), with an interesting way to end that fight. After that, there's a free-for-all between all remaining 7 players (all of them being the former Setouchi students), and the story ends. In the last extra chapter, it was said that Kazane won that match, against Mio. That particular match was something I'd really like to read/watch, since the manga kept hyping Mio up, and Kazane would've been able to provide a strategically interesting fight.

I thought the magaka was told to end it even before the show even aired