Only the best within the best

Post only best girls ITT

>best girls
>posts 3DPD trash Asuka
girls who use the main character for sexual validation can not be considered for the title of best girl.

Reifag, I know its you, so get ye gone

I don't waifu any of the girls, but its true Asuka doesn't like Shinji so she isn't best girl. They MUST to be considered best girl.

you dont fool anyone, end yourself

Sorry Asukafag, but she wouldn't love you anyway. She is only for Kaji.

Asuka was, is, and will always be timelessly the best girl.

unpure sluts can't be best girl

There isn't a true Asuka, there's just layers of her. And as long as the layers give Shinji all of their attention until 4am, that's fine by me.

Well in her character song, she kissed him with a kiss that wasn't real. I don't like girls that use others feelings.

Well it was indeed a kiss. And only she kisses for so long and in such a way so win/win.

I'm really glad Asuka exists

I'm suspicious by nature. Still a chance there's a fattie or a man hiding behind the layers.

You mean she's like an ogre?

In some previous threads I said I would make an infographic talking about this kitchen scene, so here it is. It's very hard to collect all the necessary info into one image, so here's kopipe to go with it:

Recently I've been thinking that Shinji strangling Asuka is the act which actually signified global instrumentality's beginning. If you rewatch the scene with that in mind, the timing of 'Kom Susser Tod' is pretty conspicuous.

I don't mean that the strangling was some part of the instrumentality ritual, but that it was probably his motivation for deciding it should be a global thing. So while his relationship with Rei is what gave him control over instrumentality, his relationship with Asuka is what told him what to do with it.
In some way that eludes explanation, it feels like a kind of multi level allegory for what's happening in the moment. At the 'plot' level, Shinji is sitting in the awakened Unit 01 signalling to Rei that 'everyone should die,' per his words. At the 'intra-character' level, Shinji is communing with the postmortem Asuka's soul and killing her as revenge for rejecting him in that kitchen. Somehow these two events are the same thing, from different perspectives. In Shinji's mind he's killing Asuka, while from the objective viewpoint he's sitting in Unit 01. Both have the same outcome of starting global instrumentality.

The kitchen scene may have a different meaning for 'killing' and 'death' than what we're used to. Both these characters are souls in this scene, and you don't kill a soul by having it lose too much oxygen or something technical like that.
Maybe "killing" is referring to the worst conceivable outcome for them both. For Shinji, it's being left alone. For Asuka, it's losing herself among global instrumentality.
Asuka inflicted the former on him, so he inflicted the latter on her.

I meant the character.

That could be interesting. Imagine.
Me too.

It was a kiss for validation, not one yearning to be closer to Shinji. She kissed him to try to be adult, that's pretty much want Asuka desires. She can't stand the fact she's a kid.

I said the same things again. God. Fucking. Damnit.

Finally a description that isn't shipper fanwank, here it actually uses evidence of the anime to show Asuka and Shinji's actions, including the songs.

> I don't know firmly what he means by "Don't kill me"
Maybe, throughout the whole story, Asuka represents real relationships with real women. Shinji's constant inability to connect with her, or even to react to her flirting and come-ons (whether they're real or not), illustrates his social anxiety problems.

At the point of intrumentality, he's thinking about what is most important to him. He's a 14 year old boy and he wants sexual relationships with girls. Asuka represents this. He's begging her image to give him what he wants (if he wasn't so socially incompetent, he wouldn't have to beg, he'd do something about him himself).

Her saying "no" is a representation of womens' general rejection of him, as he sees it. So then he thinks "fuck em - fuck em all", strangles the image of Asuka, and kills everyone on Earth.

Seriously, the little shit. And to think we begged him to get in the damn robot.

Why is he here? Why is he closer to the door?

She thinks both of them see her as not a woman, and that breaks her. Asuka wants to be validated and seen as an adult and woman.

It was just a quick animated way to show Shinji's her only option, or perhaps the person she really wants.

Does she need to be constantly validated? Does she want something .. endless?

In the kitchen scene Shinji tells her, "I want to stay with you always." He's telling her what she wants to hear in that scene (though, it doesn't necessarily mean he doesn't also really mean it)

No, the scene about her screaming for help. Yet Kaji and Shinji are both there, telling her she is just a child. She thinks Shinji and Kaji don't see her as an adult, she wants to be validated sexually and it destroys everything.

Only Kaji tells her that in that scene.

Shinji says something similar ("You're still a child yourself..." grumpily) after he tries to kiss her in the bed scene, but I doubt she heard that

But what if he really meant it?

or maybe it's a cheap bid at guttural/primal psychological immediacy a from a crappy writer who can be interpreted in 133232 different ways because he never properly fleshed anything out

Guttural and primal, you say?

That character design is pure hnnnng.

Magane is the bestest. Shame she is from a shit show.

I know only Kaji said that, but the camera panned to Shinji as well. The scene however is the angel playing mind games with her, because maybe the angel believes something is there that isn't? Its hard to say, its so vague.

>"Why are you there?!"

This is her mind. She's basically asking herself why she sees Shinji as a romantic interest even though he hurts her.
I finally understand why magma diver is in this scene where she lists ways Shinji hurt her, by the way. In the moment she was happy, or perhaps that was a marketing thing? But anyway, I have evidence that magma diver was as bad as the mind-invasion for her psyche.

I wish I had an image showing this, but it would be very big.
So here is the relevant clip. You will have to frame-by-frame this webm to see what I'm talking about.
After Shinji 'kills' Asuka and the crayon slides play, there is a rapidfire flash of all Evangelion's episode titles.
Asuka's life is flashing before her eyes, I think.
During these episode titles' flashing, two episode titles are bright red. Episode 10 (magma diver) and Episode 22 (Asuka's mind invasion) are those. These are episodes that were immensely damaging to Asuka's psyche.
Several other episodes are proceeded by a red frame, although the episode title itself is not red. In these episodes Asuka suffered less severe wounds. In the episode where Touji is selected as the next pilot, a red frame comes right after, for example. If you watched that episode you know something was bothering Asuka, whether it be the additional competition or whether she didn't want another person being put in harm's way fighting angels.

Anyway, this tells me that Asuka was hurt badly by Shinji saving her during magma diver.

>The scene however is the angel playing mind games with her, because maybe the angel believes something is there that isn't?

Arael never fabricated anything. He only uncovered what she had hidden, including from herself.
He doesn't even understand humans well enough to fabricate.

This would seem to indicate that the crayon drawings are Asuka's memories as well.
Which I have always vaguely felt was the case. She seems to be in a lot of them

Do we know what those crayon drawings mean?

No, I really wish I did. The ones like appear to show Asuka and possibly Shinji doing things.

That one in particular is 100% Asuka, look how she's elevated, her hair, her color.

That they were childhood friends.

What if Evangelion isn't Shinji's fantasy world, but Asuka's?

Red frame after Episode 12, which is where Shinji was about to outpace her synchro scores

Episode 15 had a unique title frame look, all white. Only one like it. What could that mean? I have to go look through it

Could be both. They melded their minds and before that they spent all their time very close.

Oh, Episode 15 is the kiss episode

Her mother lost her father to another woman, so this scene might have been extra hurtful on that account
"I suffered the same fate as mama, huh?" you can almost see her thinking.
And then in episode 22 she goes 'insane' due to contact with Adam's progeny, just like mama.

The lavender perfume is the one that Misato wouldn't let her borrow because "it's not for kids."

This whole scene really seems to be about Asuka painfully realizing she's not the adult she wishes she was, and that's also what the mind invasion is about.

forgot the image

I thought wrongly that it was referring to her surface facade, but I now understand differently that "This isn't me!" means something else.
Arael, the invading angel (who is masquerading as her mother here) is showing Asuka all the ways she pretends to be an independent adult that doesn't need mama.
Asuka is painstakingly admitting: no, this isn't me, I actually need you.

Has Anno ever talked about what all these scenes mean? What is Asuka's "real" feelings? Its annoying not knowing the truth.

Get back to making videos Sudostef

I don't know anything about the crayon scenes for sure, but I'm certain that is right

What is it you want to know specifically about Asuka's feelings?

Too bad Shinji was a neurotic shitty teen kid.Every fucking teen thinks the world is gonna end when their first heartbreak occurs.

If Gendo had been a good dad, he'd have cracked open a beer, given one to his son, they'd have have talked about life and women, he'd have given him some good advice, and he'd say something along the lines "It's your first love. You'll have lots more. You're young, boy."

And the world wouldnt have fucking ended in a post apocalyptic giant Rei thing.

What did she want from Shinji? What did she mean by "all you ever do is hurt me"?

I wish I had video editing skills, it would be so much easier to explain things that way. Evangelion is the most fragmented story that exists. A 2-second line of dialogue can interact with one twenty episodes later to form a bombshell theory. It's hard to show that via text or image, you need to see the two scenes.

What's worse is that as you understand Evangelion more you build up something like a vocabulary, or a 'base of understanding', which helps you understand all kinds of things and leads to bigger theories. Then when you try to explain those bigger theories, you have to painstakingly explain the smaller/'vocabulary" pieces as well

Shinji is her foil as a person. He's opposite but the same, like an Asuka in the mirror.
He has the same problems as her. One reason Asuka won't get close to anybody else is because it's impossible for them to understand her issues, they are simply too unique. Shinji could understand them because he had almost the same experiences.

There are more complex things that may play a role. Shinji is gentle hearted and understanding, like a mother. He makes Asuka's bento every morning, and she becomes very upset if he doesn't. It's not because of the food. She's seeking a stand-in for the motherly affection she missed out on as a child. She wants it desperately.

Shinji hurts her unknowingly because he doesn't understand her at all. There's a scene in Instrumentality about this which I'll post in a sec

Here is the scene about understanding.

Shinji never understood Asuka before instrumentality because she concealed almost everything from him. Rei says something that seems to indicate Shinji never made a real effort though, which I guess is true.

Because he didn't understand her, he did all kinds of things that humiliated and hurt her. When he surpassed her synch score and thought nothing of it, Asuka suffered greatly, because he took the spotlight away from her. Asuka relies on the attention and praise of others in order to make up for the void left by her late mother. Shinji steals that praise away from her but doesn't even appreciate it.

Shinji also hurt her ego badly when he saved her in magma diver, although you can't really blame him. See

Just to extend on "How did Shinji hurt her?"
She gives some examples herself in the webm attached to He wouldn't 'help her' (try to understand her), he wouldn't hold her when they kissed, he humiliated her by saving her.

Why did she want his help though during MPE fight if she felt humiliated by saving her? Is it a case of Asuka contradicting herself?

Her mother was with her during that scene, she realized it. "Mama, you were always right here protecting me all along! The AT field!"
If you don't know, Asuka's mother's soul, or at least the maternal portion of it, is inside EVA-02's core.
Similarly, Shinji's mother's soul is inside EVA-01's core.

Shinji doesn't give others something to love. He just takes what others give.

That's his issue and why Asuka can't stand him. She give's too much.

Sorry, I got ahead of myself and said that as if it was an explanation on its own

Because her mother was there, I think she wanted to avoid dying, because she knew her mother wouldn't be in the afterlife.
"Asuka... die with me!" "Okay, mama! Just please don't stop being my mama" - these are excerpts from the mind-invasion episode.

These statements all ring true - makes you wonder if it's exactly what Anno was saying. Do we know how he got on with his Dad?

why does asuka need shinji when she has a box

Because the walls are just cardboard and anything sung with passion will tear them all down.

people who live in cardboard houses shouldn't throw lances

They should only throw one. Give the real one to the one person that really means something.

It don't get how any of it is supposed to be his fault. You can't expect people to understand you if you never tell them the truth and just put on airs. If you get "humiliated and hurt", that's all on you. Expecting people to mind-read you is insane.

Anywhere I went people always guessed what I was thinking.

There are actually moments where she opened up and he was either unresponsive or repulsed.
The closest Shinji ever got to learning about her problems is the bed scene. I don't have a webm of it, but in this scene, just before he kisses her she starts to cry and says "mama", and rather than comfort her in any way or use this information to in some way help her or learn about her more, all he does is roll away and grumpily say "You're just a child yourself!"

I doubt she heard him say that on that night, but she definitely saw it in his memories during instrumentality, and I'm sure it was very hurtful.
I'm sure she wondered why he was able to understand something so deep about her almost instantly, but still didn't put in the minimal effort to help her. It makes me bitter at him thinking about it.

This scene, that is.

It's sort of representative of what Asuka complained about in the webm. He was on board as long as it was a fun opportunity to have a kiss and possibly satisfy his libido, but as soon as he had to deal with her problems, he was scared away.

1.She's been an absolute unrepentant cunt the entire time and he is under no obligation to act as her knight in shining armor or even her friend.
Remember the golden rule

2.Asuka never made it to Instrumentality. She got spear bukakked by those artificial angels. She was a pile of hamburger long before instrumentality even started.

I won't bother responding to your post if you're going to use words like that, they're the biggest symptom of someone who's made no attempt to understand her character.

>If Gendo had been a good dad, he'd have cracked open a beer, given one to his son, they'd have have talked about life and women, he'd have given him some good advice, and he'd say something along the lines "It's your first love. You'll have lots more. You're young, boy."
This.

>Asuka never made it to Instrumentality. She got spear bukakked by those artificial angels. She was a pile of hamburger long before instrumentality even started.

Everyone who died made it to instrumentality, it's why misato and kaji were there. Instrumentality was for souls, the status of the body was irrelevant.

It was the first time for him to feel those things. She's the most passionate person in the world, he was so conflicted he had no idea what to do with the feels she gave him.
>She's been an absolute unrepentant cunt the entire time
Everything I ever need.

I meant if she was humiliated by him saving her, why did she want his help against the MP Evangelion?

Ten to one Anno had the same thing happen growing up. Shinji's parents are so complicated, I refuse to believe they're entirely fictional.

>he was so conflicted he had no idea what to do with the feels she gave him.

He didn't seem sympathetic in this line at all, just grumpy that she pretended to be better than him when she was just as childish and wounded
The fact that he understood this from one single word, meaning he could've EASILY understood her (and helped her) if he took an interest in it, reaffirms God-Rei's words in - "Ikari-kun, did you try to understand?"

>I meant if she was humiliated by him saving her
But that makes it perfect.

This is the moment I meant

>those thighs
saved

Why did they make her breasts so huge in that scene?

Where is his right hand arm going by the way

Different animation directors drew them different ways according to their tastes and abilities
I reckon the characters' bodies during the most 'important' and high-budget scenes are the most on-model ones

I'm sure he made it up to her in the beach episode and during season two. I'm sure they found like an abandoned hot springs and talked a lot after they got the fire going.

I guess with some people it's just really obvious, but from what I've seen in real life, those that expect others to "get the hint" and guess what they are feeling always spawn a shitload of drama and just make themselves (and others) miserable in the end. Meanwhile, the practical "just spell it out for me" crowd is chill as fuck.

Asuka's problem wasn't Shinji and his passivity, it was Asuka herself. Nobody in their right mind would be willing to constantly deal with a person who wants one thing and says another. It's like walking on a minefield while blindfolded.

Good post.
I find it rather obvious that Shinji seems to have some attraction to Asuka, though this doesn't discount an attraction to Rei, too. Really, Shinji, Asuka, and Rei are all messed-up people.

That place seemed like hell to me, I hope god-Rei gave them a restart at some point.

I wish there was some consistency, sometimes she looks flat as a board and others she looks ripe for paizuri.

Asuka would never, ever go right out and express interest in Shinji, she's absolutely terrified of rejection. Her mother rejected her for a doll.
A doll. Does that sound familiar?