Why would KyoAni make such a cynical film?

Why would KyoAni make such a cynical film?

why would KyoAni adapt an enjoyable mango so cynically

it's not cynical

It's not cynical

How the actual fuck did you find that cynical?

>changing is hard even if you strive to
How is that cynical, just because it's not the usual extreme and instantaneous character development you often see in anime? It's just realistic.

>just because it's not the usual extreme and instantaneous character development you often see in anime?
what? they all become friends in the end even after lots of agressions

>just because it's not the usual extreme and instantaneous character development you often see in anime

elaborate

So, yeah. Fuck every slut in that manga that isn't a mom, or deaf. One is a possessive, unlikable cunt, and the other is a narcissistic cunt who thinks she is incapable of doing wrong

It is not cynical, the film starts with a boy deciding to kill himself and it ends with said boy having made friends and being able to see others in the face again. A film with that subject matter had to be somewhat sad, that does not make it cynical.

What about Sahara, Yuzuru, and Maria?

Also of you guys went to the US showings, hope you got your paper goods. My theater didn’t have them the first day and only got them in the second day after the movie ended, so pretty much everyone left without them. Was also missing the poster of them as kids.

Sahara is great, Maria doesn't show up enough, but Yuzuru is a coward

Why would kyoani ruin a manga by trying to adapt all of it cutting out important details like character motivations and history, which gives justification for their actions?

Why would kyoani keep the entire cast, whilist leaving out everything that makes anyone even remotely interesting or relevant to the lead characters.

Why did the sub par direction smother everything in chromatic abbreviation, create poor transitions, and place confusing scenes in terrible order.

Why didn't kyoani just make a film based on the manga, cut all the extra stuff they couldn't flesh out and just make the focus the leads with one or two necessary side characters?

Why didn't they just make a 12 episode anime or ova series in which they could properly adapt the manga and all it's content so that the product would be at least half decent?

Why did the trash animators ruin the character designs and grit in the original art.

Why would they make such a terrible movie and release it in the same time frame as an actually quality film like Your Name, which blew this trash out of the water commercially and critically?

Why is kyoani so shit?

Fresh pasta I just type by the way, fill free to use it anytime some fag makes a thread about this mistake of a film.

>all these stupid faggots taking the bait

Why are you so wound up about a movie about people punching people?

Cause shitting on kyoanus's streak of blunders is a past time for me.

N-no, not really, they did made some connection durring filming, thanks to Shoya and Shoko effort, but they are far from being your typical moeblob friends.
Honestly, as bitchy as she is — Ueno is an amazing character. Miki on the other hand is fucking terrible in every possible way, still would though, but only with glasses on.
The hell are you saying, negro? Yuzuru is fucking based and Sahara is the only coward here, she abandoned Shoko twice because of her fears. Things got better for her and she was a bro in the end, but still.

>Blunder
>Grossed 2.3 billion on less than 90 screens

It's literally one of the most successful movies in the past few years

I know you're mostly just shitposting, but the movie was by far the best version of the story. The one-shot stopped too soon, and the manga wasted too much time on distractions like the movie subplot. The movie managed to feel cohesive and focused from beginning to end.

yall faggots posting in a troll thread
shake my head

KyoAni did an excellent job with the adaptation. They removed most of the trash that was in the manga like the movie subplot or retarded and corny backstories from the side characters, like Shoko's dad acting like a cartoon villain and leaving them just because she was deaf.

The manga had a problem of having way too many "bad guys" with little or retarded motivations to be the way they were, for example Ueno, in the manga she's just a cookie cutter yandere in love with Shoya. In the movie she seems to have a crush on him as well, but it is only implied and that's far from her main motivation for acting the way she did, movie Ueno seemed to be genuinely concerned for Shoya and wanted to make things up for the past. The worst offender was manga Kawai, she was a literal sociopath, the manga had too many convenient obstacles to keep the series going for 7 volumes.

It's funny to see people complain about Kyoani cutting things for the movie, back when the manga was still being serialized people were complaining about this very thing and saying how much better the one-shot was for being more subtle and to the point.

>Cynical

When I watched the film I unironically interpreted it from a religious perspective of doing penance and being forgiven. I didn't see a lot of cynicism.

t. Christfag

>Believing in fairies past the age of 4

>how much better the one-shot was for being more subtle
Subtle? Subtle where???

Anyway, I agree with some of your points, but still the movie is kinda superficial and rushed.

knk blame the victim

>but still the movie is kinda superficial and rushed.
It's not.

Another flawless argument from the KnK U18 fan club.

You didn't have an argument in the first place.

Kawai and Grandma become just plot devices. Mashiba is there just because. And the love confession becomes even more artificial than in the manga.

Lets be honest, its not like you want to 'argue' or discuss anything regarding the film in the first place. Unless its more confirmation of its 10/10 masterpiece status, that is.

These are also not arguments .Why are Kawai and Grandma plot devices here and not in the manga? Why do you think a plot device is inherently bad? "just because" what exactly? What was the point of the love confession in the manga compared to the movie, and what makes it more "artificial". Ready? Now, begin actually backing up your grievances with arguments.

No, you must be joking.

>Movie was by far the best version of the story
???

I agree the movie sub plot wasn't to interesting but it's the catalyst for a lot of the drama to unfold, for relationships to reach their breaking point, for relationships to even be made in the first place.
For characters to be introduced and become relevant to the leads.

Without it 90% of shit feels unjustified or just makes no sense, half the cast shouldn't even be there if they aren't going to flesh them out. And when the characters flip out on each other, it feels so contrived, and without the subplot it's feels even more contrived and poorly written when they magically make up.

The one-shot, really only had the two leads and a few secondary characters, it was by far the best interpretation of the work.

If they film wanted to be even half decent they should have just built on that, but instead they tried to adapt the manga, but cut out everything that made it work in the first place.

It's a character driven drama, it's strengths lay in being emotionally manipulative, and it worked because the manga actually took time building up the characters and their relationships, without any of that it's just a husk that looks pretty, shallow and poorly shot.

I actually got the names mixed up because I haven't read this shit in a while.
I meant Sahara was a coward. Yuzu was amazing

Relationships reach the breaking point regardless of the movie subplot, in both the manga and movie. It is the same in both, Kawai tells everyone that Shoya used to bully Shoko, and Shoya shuts himself to everyone again. This would've happen with or without the movie they were making.

Characters get introduced in both the manga and the movie way before the movie subplot.

Both the one shot and movie only had two leads, you want so hard for the movie to follow the manga to a T that you blame it for not "fleshing out" side characters more.

The manga works regardless of the one-dimensional side characters, not because of them.

The movie built the two main characters pretty nicely, in fact most of the meat from the one shot and manga regarding these two is in the movie.

Without the movie sub plot nothing makes sense.

Why are they all even "hanging out"? It's funny cause the film kept the part in where mc is desperately looking for a reason to hang out with shoko, but completely cut that part when he tries to do the same when bringing back old friends.

And when they do "hang out", the movie won't even show him building genuine or believable relationships with the side characters.

So when it comes time for him to push everyone away the scene falls flat on his ass because the movie never showed him getting even remotely close to these people.

I agree the film sub plot itself was uninteresting but without that catalyst almost nothing in this plot works.

What really annoyed me was how they handled ueno and shokos beef. In the manga ueno uses the movie as an excuse to make amends with shoko after she persistently comes to her.

But in the film they just copy the scene of shoko coming back every night, then cut to something completely different, the cut back to present day and magically ueno and shoko are on better terms.
Like what? Uenos beef was like the most interesting and important conflict and they cut everything that fixed it and pretends it's all okay?

Even without the movie subplot they straight about removed character motivations and justifications for ishida and shokos mom.
In the manga they go into great detail with ishidas psyche and how he lives to fight boredom day after day, they spend a lot of time showing just how far he'd go, so he doesn't appear as just some shallow asshole who's bullying because plot, it fills so forced and unjustified in the film, his just an asshole.

And shokos mom is just a bitch, you claim the dad leaving was heavy handed but that's tame to all the melo dramatic bullshit that happens in both works. It wouldn't fill out of place at all in the film, and they definitely could have toned it down.
Anything to give the mother some kind of depth to her actions.

Who is the superior mom?
Nishimom, or Ishimom?

Because in the manga they at least look like real people in the movie they seem to exist just to perform specific roles.

The confession was stupid in the manga, but there was some nuance, but in the movie got even dumber because the pace is faster.

>like Shoko's dad acting like a cartoon villain and leaving them just because she was deaf.
Even though I agree with your that whole dialogue was stupid as fuck, this scene is important, since Shoko overhears what are they talking about. Also it's not really cartoonish, you will be surprised by how many fatherless kids there around, and these are normal kids, now add disability\dysfunction to it and be terrified that most kids like that are abandoned by their parents. Also, this whole grandma arc was here for the sake of Yuzuru and her mother character development, it got a good conclusion in volume 6 too.
>Ueno, in the manga she's just a cookie cutter yandere
>Be Ueno, be passionate and open about things you like and dislike
>Some african-american doesn't understands your character and calls you yandere
>movie Ueno seemed to be genuinely concerned for Shoya and wanted to make things up for the past
Wow, like in the manga.
>The worst offender was manga Kawai
Well I agree with that, she is the weakest character, the only clear thing about her is that she really wants that sweet Satoshi's dick.
>people were complaining about this very thing and saying how much better the one-shot was for being more subtle and to the point.
What can I say, it's was a good oneshot. Used to think the same, actually.
About the "artificial" confession, I think the real reason here is Ueno, since from Shoko's perspective Naoka appeared and acted in a really strange fashion, and since Shoya decided not to tell her the fuck they were talking about, Shoko got wrong ideas about two, and it really made her think. You can even see it on her face when Shoya doens't come to the bridge the next day, that's some next level facial expression. So yeah, Shoko decides to speed things up before it's too late.
Chex? Check? Check what? Nishimom is way better developed of course, but they are both good.

No, without the film these characters have no reason to even be around each other.

Like the bread, the movie was an excuse for ishida to be with these people, they stressed this so heavily in the manga, and in the film, yet the forget about it when it applies to everyone else.

It flat out doesn't make sense it's a hypocrisy fallacy in the film.

>Kawai tells everyone
Oh lord in the film this felt like the most extra bullshit. Starting issues just because and seemingly out of nowhere, over nothing.

In the manga there's actual build up to this scene/moment coming, the moment when mashiba finds out what ishida had done, they go to the old school for the film and the whole time it's super interesting and tense because ishida doesn't want mashiba to find out what he did, and the reader gets to internalizes that fear. mashiba spashing the old teacher is especially potent because of this, it's the perfect climax and really unpredicatable, this scene let the reader know just how important it is that no new friends found out about his past, and cemented mashiba as an interesting and relevant side character to ishida.

It's this chain of events that leads to kawai spelling the beans, and ishida feeling sick to his stomach right afterwards actually fit.

In the film they argue over nothing, she says what he did for no good reason and the sick to the stomach reaction for ishida feels so overdramatic and heavy handed. Why does he cares so much what orange hair thinks? They have no relationship what so ever. His just there, just cause.

Characters get introduced before the subplot, but the only way socially awkward ishida is able to continually interact with them and build relationship is because of the subplot, without it they have nothing.

NO. I'd rather the film not follow the manga at all and just make a more controlled story based on the one shot, with just ishida and shoko, cutting all the irrelevant friends and forced drama they bring.

>Without the movie sub plot nothing makes sense.
False

>Why are they all even "hanging out"?
I assume you're not familiar with relationships. People are not robots, they don't need a reason to hang out, as long as they enjoy each others company. Try to remember those years where you had friends and used to hang out with them, did you always had a specific reason?

>but completely cut that part when he tries to do the same when bringing back old friends
No? He contacted Sahara because of Shoko, and starting talking more to Kawai because of that, by proxy Mashiba joined as well since he hangs out with Kawai, if anything their relationship is way more natural in the movie. It shows how easy it is to make an acquaintance of someone, before you know it you're friends, that's how it happens in real life, specially during school years.

>So when it comes time for him to push everyone away the scene falls flat on his ass because the movie never showed him getting even remotely close to these people.
I disagree, but that wasn't the point of this scene.

>In the manga they go into great detail with ishidas psyche and how he lives to fight boredom day after day
What? This is just a line Shoya said when he was a kid that never gets to develop at all, or even brought up after that. Great detail my ass.

>he doesn't appear as just some shallow asshole who's bullying because plot, it fills so forced and unjustified in the film, his just an asshole.
You're completely missing his motivations, probably because they were so subtle your autistic ass couldn't figure them out. The whole point of the series is people not being able to understand each other; they bullied her out of frustration for that very reason.

>Anything to give the mother some kind of depth to her actions.
The mom didn't need a flashback like that. She is a single mom with a deaf kid, everyone with a shred of empathy would understand why she is they way she is.

I'm only complaining about how the movie ruins that manga, because they are ones who tried to adapt it into a film.

They took all the emotionally potent scenes and climaxes, and removed all the depth and build up for the plot and characters.
If they had just tried to do their own thing, simple based on the original work and not an adaptation this film could have been a decent melodrama.
Maybe even delivery on a satisfying romance that was teased in the manga or something.

>No, without the film these characters have no reason to even be around each other.
See and read the manga again.

>While manga was still ongoing
>When is this arc going to end? Who cares about the side characters! This movie subplot is horrible!

>After movie comes out
>Why did they remove the movie subplot? Where is my side character development? This is trash!

I will never understand Sup Forums.

>Sup Forums is one person
I will never understand retards.

>People r n robots
People aren't robots, but ishida and shoko aren't regular people.

They are pretty complex, depressed and socially awkward youths.
Ishida especially is someone who can't even look someone in the eyes, let alone hold a conversation.
Another thing the film gimped, the mangaka goes deep on ishida internal monologe, where she really describes his anxiety, and copping mechanism.
He is not someone "who just hangs out". He absolute felt like he needed an excuse just to see someone.

It completely goes against his character if "they don't need a reason to hang out and enjoy other people company"

The fuck is the bullshit you just wrote? He isn't some normie fuck, and that's what makes him interesting as a character.

The fact that you even wrote that into relation to his character just proves how badly the film butchered him.

>way more natural in the film
That'd be fine if ishida wasn't characterized as someone who is so deep down the rabbit hole.

He can't make friends "by proxy", people just don't "join", he never just "starts talking".
All of these things go against his characterization.

Mashiba does attempt to join because his sorta freinds with kawai but in the manga, ishida couldn't even talk to him until after the experience they had with the old teacher.

>That wasn't the point of the "pushing everyone away" scene
I never said it was, the scene itself was impactful in the manga because we had followed this anxiety crippled child on his journey to making actual real connections with people, he actually forms friendships in the manga, they just don't say "where friends now" like in the movie.
Anyways we watch him grow and get more and more comfortable with everyone, and actually build real connections, something that was so hard for him before.

To watch it all crumble down and an instance is genuinely depressing.

in the movie there is no such investment because they never actually show him grow and nurture the relationship.

>Just a line shoya said

It's not just a line, it's part of a detailed character building arc that we're introduced to shoya with, you need to re-read the manga, it's clearly been years for you.

>you're missing his motivations

No, the movie is missing his motivations lmfao.
Not being able to understand shoko was never the motivation, it was a by product of all their conflict. What initially got him to antagonize her was his war against boredum.

It was seeing something new and interesting that caught his eyes, to him was like hitting the jackpot.

Because Sup Forums is a reaction image board, we want something to discuss. While it was coming out the movie subplot was uninteresting, the story went from a blistering past with constant plot proggression, to stagnate, subtle and slow character building and interactions.

Since the beginning the only interesting thing was the shoko and ishidas relationship, and proggressed just kind of stopped and thus the manga got boring for a while.

But it was the catalyst that set up the best scenes to come in the rising climax to the end of the story.

The film copies all of this with all those side characters but leaves out everything that makes them interesting and relevant, it's just bad writing.

A competent studio would have scrapped all of that shit and just focus on the interesting part which is shoko and ishidas relationship.

>It was seeing something new and interesting that caught his eyes, to him was like hitting the jackpot.
That happens in the movie, though it is done through visuals. See minute 5:50
>Not being able to understand shoko was never the motivation
It was, go read chapter 1 again, and his reasons for hating her. His frustration boils down to him not understanding Nishimiya and her situation. it is so obvious when he tells her to speak up if she has a problem. When he starts getting bullied he starts wondering how she felt when he was the one bullying her, he was begging to understand. This is more subtle in the movie but it's still there, very visually and with minimal dialogue, like in the scene at minute 9~

Great post all around, my friend.

>He absolute felt like he needed an excuse just to see someone.
The excuse both in the movie and manga was always Shoko. He went to Sahara because of Shoko, she started talking more to Kawai because of Shoko, he invited everyone to the theme park because of Shoko. Did you really read/watch the series?
>normie
I'm starting to think you're just shitposting, most of your arguments seem to come from someone very ignorant to the plot of the manga.

>he never just "starts talking".
He did, both in the manga and movie, he saved Broccolli and started conversations with Kawai.

I see a lot of people complaining about the movie for not dumping expository internal monologues like in the manga. I saw the movie first and understood the character motivations. The argument about Shoya wanting to beat boredom was not as cringy in the movie, the first scene did a good job in showing how hyper the kid was, I didn't need panels like this to understand that. The movie did a good job bringing home the point of how frustrated he (and Ueno) was at Shoko for not understanding her and thinking her goody-two-shoes nature was out of malice or cowardice.

After reading the manga, I have to give the movie props for including what really mattered, my only real complain is with Mashiba, who didn't really have much to do in the movie I admit.

Yes, the movie took this scene straight out of the manga, except the butchered it.

THERES NO REAL CONTEXT.

In the manga visual cues of the video game he plays and his fight against boredum are connected multiple times.
>pic related is one example.

So when shoko appearing as this huge boss for him it's actually a reference to something.

Not just clips of him playing a video game randomly during a mini music video.

But it's a reference to how he associates the video game to his fight against boredum every single day.

Like many scenes in the movie they straight copy it from the managa, but take away everything that makes it good in the first place.

>It does
It doesn't, you go back to the very first chapter. He doesn't hate her yet, he grows to hate her after bullying her and her confusing reactions confused him.

But he only ever initiated that kind of relationship because she was like the jackpot to him.

I'm As I said I watched the movie first and I did understand that visual allegory, I mean it's not that hard, he sees it as a game and Shoko's arrival is like a final boss to him. You don't need more context than to know what a video game is, really.

I also saw Shoya's motivations as frustration for not understanding her, and you seem to agree with us even without realizing it.
>he grows to hate her after bullying her and her confusing reactions confused him
He may have start messing with her as a game but it grew to frustration.

>Because of shoko
Shoko was the common thread between the characters, but the connections ishida formed for himself where through the movie subplot.

>normie
I'm not saying this as an edgy faggot or anything, he literally cannot interact like a normie can.

For you to suggest that it makes sense that he would just tells me that you're ignorant of the plot and characters.

>he did start talking
You need to re-watch broccollies interaction with shouya then. It was him making good on his promise to himself when he went out of his way to help some random. Turned out he was a geunine lad when he got the bike back.

He didn't turn around and go "hi dude wuts ur name ;)"

He interacted with kawai for the same reason as he did with sahara, he wasn't trying to build a relationship with her, just trying to mend shokos shitty elementary years.

Internal monologues are never dumping if done properly. It didn't feel like a dump in the manga and sure as hell wouldn't in the movie if the director was even remotely competent.

Shoya beating boredum wasn't even an idea in the movie, he just look like a crazy hyper kid.

His personal justifications in the manga actually give depth to his character, reasons for his over the top actions.

They just ripped scenes from the manga and played rock music. All this showed was shouya is a fun and hyper kid.

The manga does all of this but instead of 70s rock, there's nearly placed easy to follow internal monologging but puts us in this kids psyche.

>but the connections ishida formed for himself where through the movie subplot.
Not at all, at least I didn't see it that way.

>I'm not saying this as an edgy faggot or anything, he literally cannot interact like a normie can.
You're still saying normie unironically, probably new to this board.

With broccolli I meant that he went out of his way to help someone else, which goes against your argument of Shoya being too detached from reality to even think about doing something like that.

>He interacted with kawai for the same reason as he did with sahara, he wasn't trying to build a relationship with her, just trying to mend shokos shitty elementary years.
Yes this is what I'm saying, but friendships form out of nothing just like that, you don't need a specific reason. Even someone as depressed as Shoya can make friends like any other normal person. You always see friends of people who committed suicide by depression say how they never saw it coming, etc. It is not unrealistic for Shoya to make friends even in his situation.

>Started messing with her as a game

Well you should try the manga, cause this isn't just a game to him, it's everything, which is why he'd so to such extreme lengths just so his never bored.

Yes I agree with you that he was perplexed by her reactions and it annoyed him to no end, but that's because it's literally explicitly stated. That's just a fact of the plot, but that's no justification for why things even started.

The film has no justification. He bullies her just because

>His personal justifications in the manga actually give depth to his character, reasons for his over the top actions.
Being being bored is a shitty reason. His justifications were his lack of understanding and frustration towards Shoko first and foremost, NOT that he was just bored, that makes him seem like a one dimensional asshole, the movie fixed that.

I can't believe there are people who wanted a 'lol I'm bored that's why I do the things I do' character instead of one with actual realistic motivations.

>The film has no justification. He bullies her just because
It does have justification, just not the shitty "I beat boredom today", it's more subtle and develops into something else, but the justifications are there and he's better characterized in the movie because of that.

Then you didn't see it.
Re-read the manga, just about every important ineraction ishida has with just about every side character is through the movie subplot, it's the catalyst that allows these characters to be together, for conflict to arise etc.

>still saying normie
I'm using normie in the most literal sense, yes you must be pretty new to this board cause a few years back "normie" wasn't a buzzword.

>friendships form over nothing
Lets just be clear, shouya does not develope a relationship with kawaii at all.
And only forms a relationship with mashiba because of the experiecne they both shared.

As I said, it is literally impossible for him to form relationships with other people.

>Still using normie
If you weren't new you'd know that word is frowned upon, people usually say normalfag or normalshit, normie is seen as a Sup Forums tier word

You'd think being bored is a shit reason, but this dialogue is backed by the actions and scenes in the first chapter.

You should go read it right now and you'll actually be convinced of his justifications and quite well written.

>his justification is lack of understanding
It absolutely isn't. He bullies her because it's never boring.

Her confusing reaction to said bullying turn the relationship quite toxic, and was something he never foresaw.

It's not subtle, it's non-existent, it's the exact same reason presented in the manga, just with no explanation.

The whole opening scene was to show just how desperate this kid was to never ever be bored, and shoko is like the jackpot, that's all.

The movie has the same justification, just without the explanation and showing random scenes from the manga without justification.

You're so simple minded if all the justification you saw for the bullying was because he was bored, it's even more stupid when that shit gets dropped after the timeskip, maybe because it was actually never about that. You need to learn to read between the lines. Well written characters never state their motives like that. The whole point of the series just went over your head.

>just without the explanation and showing random scenes from the manga without justification.
I get it now, you're autistic. Autistic people usually can't catch subtlety or deeper meanings.

You'd need to read it, you'll 100% believe him. Just the 1st chapter.

>Let me tell you why Shouya as a character has more depth in the manga than in the movie
>By arguing how his only motivation for bullying Shouko in the manga was because of boredom
>while in the movie, it goes from boredom to actual frustration over lack of understanding
>So yeah, his character has more depth in the manga despite having a one-dimensional motivation

Who does shitposter-kun think he's baiting?

It has nothing to do with subtly, the concepts is simple not mentioned and thus you have idiots like this Who think a different dynamic which is entirely separate is his justification, especially when it makes no sense. since said dynamic is gained after multiply interactions.

The concepts are implied and subtly presented, I'm sorry my autistic friend but he's right, you can't process anything that isn't literal, that's why you like the manga more. The movie is simply more competently made, considering its runtime.

Wrong, by arguing that he gave actual justification for his action, reinforced by showing us a day in his life.

The movie complete neglects the concept of boredom displayed in the manga.

His character has more depth in the manga because his has real justification for his action. He can't build real relationships with others without having unique and personal interactions with them as he can in the films.

Among a meriade of other specific thinks literally mention in this thread.

It's a shit movie, ishidas poor characterization is just one of it's many flaws. Granted you conceded on everything else I mentioned, I can only assume you agree.

See

I can proccess what the movie presents, as I explained before.

In the film ishida is characterized as an hyper and excited kid, through scenes of him doing wild and exciting things with his friends.

That's all the film presents to us before he first interacts with shoko.

No one who just watched the film would pick up that he's just someone who just finds the feeling of boredom excruciating, so much so that he'd rather be dead. So much so that he'd go to absurd lengths just to do so.

cont.

As such the film misses the most vital piece of early characterization for the lead character, in a character driven story.

It's actually worse the more I think about it lmfao.

The real "justification" for his actions in the manga is boredom according to you, that's a bland and simplistic justification. Both the manga and the anime drop that early on and turn his motives into frustration over Nishimiya "not speaking up" and her apologetic nature, he doesn't understand her. The movie does this more subtly and with less monologues but the manga has actual lines of him saying this, it's not even up for debate, you just want to be right no matter what.

Sure, the movie doesn't have him actually saying cringe shit like "I beat boredom today yay", but the way he behaves and this scene make it very clear that it is all a game to him. I watched the movie first and noticed this.

His boredom is not a vital piece of his characterization, not for me, and if that's what the author was going for then this series just got a bit worse since that boredom thing is such an anime trope, it sticks out like a sore thumb in a story about depression, bullying, forgiveness and suicide.

>"I wanted to make a film that said "it will be alright" -Yamada

>the film misses the most vital piece of early characterization for the lead character
Dude, its literally in the first few frames of the opening. Look at his walk vs Shouko's walk.

>Well you should try the manga, cause this isn't just a game to him
YOU should try reading the manga.

>Also it's not really cartoonish, you will be surprised by how many fatherless kids there around, and these are normal kids, now add disability\dysfunction to it and be terrified that most kids like that are abandoned by their parents.
What makes him cartoonish is that he is ONLY that. He's THE bad guy. He's there ONLY to make us angry.

>He's there ONLY to make us angry.
Well, Miki is here for the same purpose, actually she is even doing a better job at it.

and Ueno, and the teacher. KnK lacks 3Dmensional characters.

>Koe no Katachi
>cynical

KnK blames the victim.

I disagree with some of your points but I don't even care, I also hated the movie. More power to your crusade.

>since Shoko overhears what are they talking about

haha what

No it doesn't

too much content, not enough time, rushed shallow film

look at me I read the manga

All the time she's criticized for being the way she is. Then she recognizes it, apologizes, and everything ends well.

The term game isn't literal in my context autist, changing the argument to how terminology is being used is probable the most irrelevant and dumbest thing you could've done.
You're finished.

Are we talking manga or movie

Yes that really tells us a lot about his personal psyche and ideology.

It's definitely not just one of many visual cues that shows how loose/easy going he is.

In both she is treated as if she was guilty of something. But in manga this is stronger.

They like money.
A lot.

The movie definitely doesn't treat her as though she is guilty, and I don't think the manga does either. Shouko believes she is, of course, but I don't think either work is telling us that this is truly the case. There's a difference between what the characters believe and what the work actually is saying.

Just from the opening you can tell he doesn't think about the consequences of his actions. He just goes around and does what he thinks is fun.
He then learns that actions, his actions, have consequences once Shouko blows up on him, he learns how much those aids costed his family, and seeing his mom's earring ripped out dripping with blood. The whole movie is him coping with his actions and learning to forgive himself.

It also runs parallel to the theme of adolescence, specifically when you learn that you are such a tiny, insignificant part of the world. His huge fucking strides and his attitude prior to when he gets bullied reflect this. That's why Yamada picked My Generation for the opening.

Nah, I didn't like Ueno at first too, but she really does well as a character as story progresses, it's not like I wanted her to win Shoya bowl or something, but I felt sympathy towards her. She is rough, but her actions and words do have logic and reasoning behind, Yuzuru thinks so too.
Teacher is not likeable at all, but at least I can understand his apathy towards whole situation. When it comes to Miki it's like completely different level of disgust, and the worst part about it — I don't understand her at all, like all she does is justified perfectly in her head and there is no shame or doubt, and she thinks she is cute. I fucking hate her.
Picrelated. This page is from the chapter in which Shoko imagines what her elementary school life would have been if not for her disability and it's really fucking depressive, but the most depressing part about it, that she also imagine father being around that time, which implies that she knows he left the family because she was born deaf.

>Drop it

First of all this argument was about how this whole thing even started and what kind of character ishida is presented to be before he even interacts with the second lead.

They didn't "drop it", his relationship with shoko just snow balled into the whole "i don't understand this person".

My point was the movie failed to communicate ishidas personal ideology, the reason for his actions, it all just comes off as forced and unjustified in the movie.

>boredum isn't a vital piece of characterization
Maybe not in the movie where his a shallow and boring mc.

But in the manga it is.

I just found the choice of the word "overhead" for a deaf character funny.