Should criminal fines be higher if you make more money Sup Forums?

Should criminal fines be higher if you make more money Sup Forums?

Attached: Untitled.jpg (225x268, 26K)

Other urls found in this thread:

hooktube.com/watch?v=xlRIxkVTyeA
youtube.com/watch?v=xlRIxkVTyeA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>complain about inequality
>advocate for inequality under the law

Just a backhanded way for the author to avoid paying his fines.

Why do shit posters hate the constitution's equal protection clause?
exactly this

This might make sense if the fine was the only punishment for speeding. You can get points taken off your license and eventually have it revoked.

democrats
>we shouldn't charge people the same fines for speeding because it is unfair to poor people
Also democrats
>we should increase the tax on all guns, increase the NFA tax stamps, and increase the cost of background checks so poor people can't buy guns.

No, but they should update the fines from when they were written to account for inflation. Fines for breaking the rules for financial advisers haven't been updated since the 30s. The fines are trivial given all the inflation that has occurred since then. Also, I think they should actually charge the pedoelites with being terrorists. They cause harm and attempt to create political or social change by censoring their victims either through killing them or media shaming them. That is the very definition of a terrorist.

Attached: DTXnKOwWsAARvUc.jpg large.jpg (600x400, 41K)

Progressives hate true equality and justice.

Probably. If the point is to disincentivise the crime, then the fine should be larger for people who make more money.

raises a good point though.

Fining based on proportion of income would be equal treatment.

I think the argument is that the financial punishment is less meaningful if the person has more money, which creates inequality in the severity of punishment it inflicts on the person.

If a poor person gets a speeding ticket, they may not eat as comfortably for the next week or so.
If a rich person gets a speeding ticket, they can far that amount out without blinking.

The speeding ticket fine should maybe be proportionate to their assets.

Also, progressives don't want equality under the law, they want equality of outcome.

This.

What are the wealth factors police have to spend time and money gathering in order to ticket someone under "equal treatment" ?

no. fuck that. no special rules for anybody.

Alternatively, don't criminalize things that don't result in any damage for any party.

If you want to charge people the greater of $200 or 1 day's income for speeding fine, but don't leave a back door where poor niggers get fined 50 cents because they have negative wealth.

yes, I have a friend that won 31.8 million, he parks anywhere as long as its not a tow zone, he doesn't give a fuck about no fines. He likes parking his benz in wheelchair zones the most. He will spend $5,000 on booze and weed and just throw random party in a park, underage he don't care, as long as the charges are misdemeanor or simple fines. I have seen him tell cops, would you rather me pay the $2,000 fine to the government or you?
dud just doesn't give a fuck.

Not inequality if everyone is being fined a percentage of their income instead of a flat rate.

Attached: 1514133660172.jpg (645x729, 135K)

uhh no.

Fucking brainlet commies disgust me to no end

Welcome to Finland where we do exactly this

Does anybody actually think billionaires get speeding tickets.

>Officer, have you ever heard of the Mafia?
>I'm roughly equivalent to 2.3 Mafias.
>And my circle of friends is equivalent to over a hundred mafias.
>Officer . . . Michaels, is it?

That's how it works in Finland. I don't have a problem with it because I'm poor.

Richfags dislike it a lot, because they want to speed without paying a fuckton.

Yes, definitely. The point of a fine is to be a disincentive for violating the law. It makes sense to disincentivize all citizens to the same degree. Therefore a rich faggot should be fined proportionally more so that he suffers the exact same perceived loss as a poorfag. As it stands for example in Russia, for a rich guy the fine is basically a fee to be allowed to break the law.

If the aim is to cause a punitive whack then yes it should be, if the fine is a standard criminal tax then no.

My question is this "If you have such a system, does it change anything?"

We do that in Mexico, it just creates more problems as doing any change to the minimum wage becomes a nightmare since you have to take into account every single thing it is linked to.

I'm a NEET. My fines should therefore be 0$.

Since you guys do not have a real bankruptcy system, can someone basically be kept in peonage if the government wants to ticket you to death?

>government steals your money
thats ok i will just earn more money to make up for it
>hey goy, we noticed you're earning an awful large salary, we'll be taking that

Well I imagine it would make rich people reconsider speeding just because they can pay the ticket easy peasy, 200 bucks is nothing. In this case they would get equally as fucked as a poor person. Also you get extra revenue. However with rich people they can lose whatever percentage of their income and shrug it off, while poor people lose that much and they are still more fucked. Basically the rich would still be able to pay the ticket and get off fine, and be able to afford rent and such, while the poor would pay the ticket and be poorer.

It has it's benefits in terms of more revenue and making some rich people consider not speeding, but it won't stop all of them and the poor people getting tickets are still fucked.

So a homeless man can piss on the street and recurve a non existent fine?

So what you're saying is that poor people shouldn't have to follow the law because they are poor?

Is not a crime equally so, regardless of standing? The law is held to an objective standard, not some wishy washy totem of privilege. As God judges sin, a poor man and a rich man who steal or kill are guilty of the same moral misgiving.

You can't be that dumb.
FINE = (100$ OR WHATEVER) + (1% OF YOUR INCOME OR WHATEVER)

While we're at it, eliminate flat prices in general. Stores can no longer charge $3 for a gallon of milk. Make it a federal mandate that the price must be a percemtage, e.g. 0.00006% of the customer's annual income. Finally, a FAIR system.

Attached: IMG_20180319_045624.jpg (1080x1208, 606K)

This shit won't work in the US where police departments rely on their ticket money to find themselves. They'd start only ticketing the rich

Just make it so you have to pay for the fine with mine credits
You get nontransferable mine credits exclusively by working on the mines

The purpose of criminal law is not to punish, but to make it so that a crime is less likely to occur. When they jail you it's not because the judge assumes God's role to dish out punishment, which would be hubris in its purest form, but because it's the only choice which would make society safe from your crimes. That's also the reason why statute of limitation exists - if you committed a crime 30 years ago and then lived 30 years without committing another crime and being caught, you can't be deemed a danger to society anymore. What should be equal under law is the severity of measures taken against the criminal. And unless you scale the fines with the wealth of the offender, they will fall short of fulfilling their purpose. A fine formulated as a 10% of your net worth is in fact more objective than a simple number without context.

>rich get a chaffeur or taxi instead of driving
>not liable for speeding ticket
silly amerimutt

Close.
Yes OP I would agree to that.
Sure but you have penalties so people don't overstep the boundaries. Effect is lower or even gone when low % of income. Should you be allowed to have lower morals because you have a higher income?

>Fining based on proportion of income would be equal treatment.
So you'll be a okay with the idea of a flat tax then, I hope?

whats 1% of zero fuck tard
checkmate

based neet life

Should a younger man get a longer sentence for murder than an old man?

It is equality you retards. You pay an equal percentage of income instead of an equal total fine. It's not hard to understand, you just get angry about change because you're contrarians.

>Police departments realize that it's much more effective to fuck with rich people as their fines produce a much higher income for the city
Yeah, could see this being abused from day one.

>+100
>canadians in charge of reading

Yes. Our nobility should be held to a higher standard.

we should fire the worst performing employers (pay day lenders and burger kind owners for example) and replace them with better employers.

No, because you're already giving more to the govt to begin with. If anything, the poor should be charged more.

Still paying the base fine of $100...

Yupppppppp.

Fines are a form of punishment, therefore monetary punishment will not be the equal.
Fines should be based on percentage earnings, for example: speeding fine 5% of the offenders weekly earnings

Yes.

$200 for a poor person is most of their money that month. $200 for a rich person is literally nothing.

How will the rich be dissuaded from committing crimes if they receive slaps on the wrist?

you still get points on your license, and you can lose it. plus your insurance will go up

Yes. The ticket should cost a percentage of your weekly/monthly pay. This way it wont effect the wealthy or hurt the poor.

>It is equality you retards. You pay an equal percentage of income instead of an equal total fine. It's not hard to understand, you just get angry about change because you're contrarians.

Not equality friendo.
You do find it hard to understand.
Are all incomes of the same sum earned through equal means and efforts?

hooktube.com/watch?v=xlRIxkVTyeA

youtube.com/watch?v=xlRIxkVTyeA

>1post by this id
we have this thread everyday

No, most poor people work jobs core to societies continued function while they receive a pittance.

mailmen, garbage collectors, street sweepers, sewage workers, hell even the stockers in walmart are more important to the continuation of our society than a CEO of a megacorporation is while taking more effort.

If a flat percentage is considered fair for income tax, I don't see why it would be unfair for fines.

Lefties want to tax the rich at a higher rate than the poor. Righties want it to be closer to an equal rate. Almost everybody would agree that taxing the rich at a lower rate than the poor is wrong (except for social security surprisingly).

A fixed-value fine is the same as taxing the rich at a lower percentage than the poor.

Punishment for crime should not be unequal. Severity is the cause for order.

.05% of net worth per infraction. seems pretty fair to me desu

If the same $ amount is charged, the % isn't equal.
If the same % is charged, the $ amount isn't equal.
Either way it is both equal and unequal.

Yes. I want to make all of my money off the record, then serve a day for every dollar I 'make' for killing somebody I don't like.

a DUI should cost $7500 or 10% of your annual income, whichever is greater

Attached: fucking kill yourself.png (614x444, 503K)

For a billionaire, the time he spends stopped by the side of the curb is more costly to him than the ticket. It could cost him hundreds of thousands potentially, if it's a long stop.

Rich people still get points on liscence, and if you get too many traffic infractions you can potentially have criminal fines or suspended liscence. Those apply equally to people regardless of income.

billionaires dont drive in places where they can get tickets so its a moot point

Sush! Don't call them out on their doublethink!

^^Look at the edge on this fella.
Your comment actually made me bust out this old-ass meme.

Attached: 27E02C3B-B2BF-4E14-A84F-54A1D0640434-2294-00000278CE17A374.jpg (625x483, 64K)

Nice to see this whole thread is nothing but scheming kikes.

Ok, if that's how they want it. We'll fine jews $1,000,000 for jaywalking from now on.

Attached: fi;fui;sdtdt.png (489x364, 71K)

OP is talking about monetary fines, not sentenced time.
I do see the point that someone with $0 income will pay $0 if the fine is just a %.

In order to address this, the fine could be a flat fee plus a %.