Cool Japan Fund Incorporated fails at 10 of 18 investments

Corruption and incompetence in corporate leadership blamed for wasting Japanese tax payer's money to make foreigners love idols and maids.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-11-09/nikkei-cool-japan-initiatives-fail-to-meet-expectations/.123694

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6gP6fdkRyLk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Why are you posting this here? This seems like a /jp/ news material.

Cool Japan was also one of the investors of the anime streaming site Daisuki, which closed down a two weeks ago because it was hemorrhaging money.

I don't understand, Why do the government feel the need to fund stuff to appeal to gaijins?

I feel like Japanese culture is already aware of in anime/manga and other stuff, This "program" seems weird.

Cool Japan is trash. God emperor GACKT even said a while ago that it was a useless money black hole and that Japan had fell behind Korea in entertainment despite the huge headstart. He visited several countries and outside from anime or samurai which was already a known niche nothing else has changed, they have no known actors, their music is unknown and so is their culture. Meanwhile K-pop bands are popular even in countries like Brazil

youtube.com/watch?v=6gP6fdkRyLk

Because if gaijins don't just buy anime and manga, but also all the other cool Japanese culture stuff, that would give more money to Japan.
It's an investment into the future.

If 10 of 18 projects ended in failure, that would mean that 8 out of 18 weren't failures.

>Cool Japan

Surely everyone knows about animal-eared maids.

...yet.

>Japan had fell behind Korea in entertainment
What sort of ass-backwards metric allows you to make a statement like that? The only time anyone gives half a fuck about Korea is when their greatest neighbor is testing out new toys, and that's hardly entertainment. And nobody gives a shit about what Brazil thinks.

>ctrl+f idol
phrase not found
>ctrl+f maid
phrase not found

It failed precisely because they didn't try to make foreigners love idols and maid, but instead, they wasted the money on shit no one cared like Japanese tea and some literallywho TV channel that ANN doesn't even have any information about

>What sort of ass-backwards metric allows you to make a statement like that?
in the article cited in the ANN article

Now they'll blame anime on the failure despite most of that shit having nothing to do with it.

Korea was a mistake

Entertainment and media is one of the us's most profitable exports. Japan understandably wants some action as well.

how the fuck do people care about k-pop?

You know what's always really good at spreading culture? Government programs. That's totally where all of the great cultural artifacts that people are still beaming over twenty years later come from.

The anime industry broke $20 billion this year, they want to control it like hollywood.

The same way people care for idols

I'ts not japanese so you can't be called a weeaboo for watching it.

>[South Korea]'s exports of broadcast content exceeded Japan's by more than 30% in 2015.
>exports of broadcast content
Well, we've found the ass-backwards metric. What's that even supposed to mean, "broadcast content", their music videos on youtube? Japan's culture is overall much better known across the world than Korea's and if your data tells you otherwise then it's too bad for the data.

Girls are actually cute and not island inbreds.

Korean doramas shits on Japanes ones. Not even talking about movies.

>What's that even supposed to mean, "broadcast content", their music videos on youtube?
Are you retarded?
Korean dramas and game shows

There still seems to be a stigma against Japanese content when compared to Korean content for some reason. Like listening to K-Pop is cool but listening to J-Pop isn't.

Wait, what? Really?

It seems like a lot of leftist, libshit hipsters really love K-Pop.

After all that expensive surgery and shit, they better be fucking cute!

Yes, ask any young person who frequents the internet. K-Pop especially hit the mainstream after Gangnam Style, but J-Pop hasn't seen any similar popularity surge in the west.

Amazing what cosmetic surgery can do these days isn't it?

>implying foreigners don't love idols and maids

I think we all know who is really trying to shut down Cooru Japon

Adding on to this, it might have something to do with K-Pop's association with K-dramas, where as J-Pop is more closely associated with anime. Anime is still a pretty cringey hobby, but watching K-Dramas is pretty normal especially among Asian-expats.

What's so cool about K pop? Is it the girls?

And here we go with this again.

That stigma only really exists among autists who don't understand why nobody likes them. From my experiences, it's more that boring normalfags are adverse to having anything that could possibly be called interesting attached to them and are closed to trying any piece of media that doesn't either have a ridiculously huge advertising budget or viral status.

>But in middle school, the other kids searched for my weak spots and attacked them!

Yes, that's how middle schoolers with no real hobbies and nothing to do beyond play petty social games behave. It's not really a good measure for how adults act.

To build up soft power and a trade surplus.
In the long term, it could keep them from turning into a Chinese dependency.

>and so is their culture

Are you retarded? You think kimonos or ninjas are less known than some korean hworangs or whatever?

All Korea has are plastic idols and terrible dramas for old housewives. Anime and Japanese games are much bigger than that. K-pop boom already ended.

Because k-pop idols actually have good choreography

I'm gonna go out there and blame that BabyMetal joke of an idol group.

I saw a couple of episodes on NHK anime shows for foreigners and they were terrible. All they did was meting some completely autistic western fans and trying to shill trash like SAO.

>Anime is still a pretty cringey hobby

Half of the world grew up watching DB, Sailor Moon or Pokemon.

And they don't dress like 5-year-old cosplayers. I never understood nip idol fashion, it's like they think that anything that's cute in 2D works in 3D too.

They should try to shill taigadora instead of boring shit like tea

Yes, and Dragon Ball, Sailor Moon and Pokemon aren't associated with J-Pop. J-Pop's association with anime comes from stuff like Love Live, Idol Master, and Wake Up Girls, which are all definitely cringey to the average western person.

Peoples either don't realize those are anime, or they do but use the "It's not anime if I like it!" fallacy to justify themselves.

Emphasis on "grew up". It's still seen as a kids' thing, or a manchild hobby like MLP.

Japan fashion as a whole is so terrible.

Anime and manga are already pretty accessible and well known, and the fandom is large enough to hold itself up and pay for translation efforts.
Stuff like Japanese tea is not as well known and has a different appeal, so it has the potential to reach a large number of people that anime and manga don't.
But tea in America is probably a mistake.

It's good that this failed.

Government programs are a deal with the devil. Once an industry gets hooked, it won't be long before the government takes your own forcefully taken money (taxes) and waves it back in front of you to get you to act according to the self-serving agenda of a select powerful few in the industry, and failure to take it puts you at a significant disadvantage. This is one aspect of what's called "crony capitalism", and the willing, often angrily protected ignorance of the left in their creation of this dynamic and this notion that antics which are only possible due to presence of the guns of state are somehow the hand of the evil free market on the grounds that certain companies are the ones abusing them are things that desperately need to be countered more vocally.

>We just want a virtuous government that provides a safety net! MORE GOVERNMENT!

The sorts of people who seek control over others are rarely virtuous and are often charismatic and sneaky. This will always happen so long as the government is allowed to have power and resources beyond the bare minimum that it needs to do things like build roads, put out fires, and lock up murderers.

If you want to spread Japanese culture, here's what you do: You, as a maker of Japanese products or a private fan, open up shop in America and/or make deals with American advertisers to get the word out.

>It's still seen as a kids' thing, or a manchild hobby like MLP.
After how popular it was Pokemon Go or Fox having the rights of DB movies i seriously doubt it

found the gook.
Now burn him

Is koreaboo a thing? Like an actual thing where people hate their own people and wish they were Korean, not some theoretical thing. Or was that something only limited to anime?

Neat

>Cool Japan
Wasn't that that thing where OLs and students wear skimpier clothes to work/school?

That would be Warm Japan, surely.

That's Cool Biz

>Japan's culture is overall much better known across the world than Korea's and if your data tells you otherwise then it's too bad for the data.
>It's wrong because I say so.
Sad.

It's like hip hop but everyone is Asian instead of black so it has appeal outside of the ghetto

That part was a joke, autist-kun.

Oh.
Made for a great fap though.

It pains me to disagree but K-pop is exponentially more popular than its Japanese equivalent.

Dumbest statement in this thread. Tokyo is arguably the most influential fashion hub in the world. Almost everybody you see in the wealthier areas is extremely well dressed and fashionable. Even the most hardcore /fa/ autists cry about getting outclassed in Tokyo. The otaku idol industry has nothing to do with Japan's actual fashion industry.

None of that stops it from being subjectively terrible though.

Maybe true for Uniqlo and such but take a look at Harajuku.

I guess so. But when I was in Japan I saw not many people I would call sloppy dressed, and if I did they looked NEET. In America even on Wall Street or Hollywood Blvd you see people dressed like shit.

They don't.
There is a reason why those threads get moved to /trash/

It goes both ways actually.

>Harajuku.
Alright, maybe you have a point. They look like clowns. But even in Harajuku its not like most people are dressed that way.

>Calls selfies "selcas"
What in the fuck.

But maids are European or more recently Mexican and Filipino.
Idols are universal.

I bet all anime that the Cool Japan initiative funded was an utter flop.
Like Concrete Revolutio, which was planned to be one of the flagship titles for defunct Daisuki.
That anime was literally "Cool Japan: The Anime".
As much as I liked it, it cannot be denied that it was an utter flop in both Japan and in the West.

Anime maids with their gothic lolita fashion choice are totally a Japanese thing.
It's something not really considered cute, but more like something embarrassingly childish.
It's like Hooters, but more pathetic.

>a venture to operate cafes specializing in Japanese tea in the United States
Seriously, what are the even doing?

>otherwise then it's too bad for the data
I should begin quoting this

It means that South Korea knows how to export their culture and market it foreigners. Japan does not know how to sell themselves or their culture. Despite thousands of years of history, Japan only talks about Warring States Period, WWII, and Post WWII. They don't even know how to market areas outside of Tokyo to foreigners.

Harajuku fashion is awesome you bakas. I wish so bad I could wear it and get really into it. It's so unique and looks so cool and fun. I never really cared about fashion, but Harajuku really inspires me and fills me with enthusiasm.

That still sounds way better than what history South Korea manages to export. Their history only goes back to the founding of whatever idol group you are a fan of, Japanese history, even in the eyes of the west, is way deeper.

Yeah but the South Korean idol group you are fan of history is selling better than japs long and rich history. That's what we are discussing now isn't it?

>Girls are actually cute
I always get this strange uncanny valley feeling when I see their lifeless plastic faces.

I don't think that the average normalfag can differentiate between gooks and elevens.

Can you? Is there a difference?

Most Japanese can't even. There's a Japanese gameshow where they make guests perform Japanese customs and the judges guess which one is Korean.

Chinese here, Koreans have mistaken me as Korean

Westerns do love pokemon, but 99% of those westerns never heard any of the japanese opening, and if they did they would hate them from not being muh I wanna be the very best

Common knowledge on Japan's history
>had shoguns and samurai at some point
>they probably fought ninjas
>then the war came and they got nuked big time
>now they mostly make cartoons and electronics
Common knowledge on Korea's history
>???
>had a war with USA in the 50s
>or was it the other Korea?
>what even happens there

Catchy songs. I don't know what it is but kpop has it down to a science. JP destroys them in every other music genre like shoegaze, though.

I was under the impression most of the K-pop fanbase were young women.

cool jc1pc1|7

Young wowen also like cute girls they can look uo to.

They invented kimchi, gimbap, and use metal chopstick for whatever reason.

pretty funny how the average user actually knows more about best korea instead

There are differences at the population level but no one could reliably tell zipperheads and nips apart like that. Think of Brits and Frogs

Most people in my country think that Pokemon is a western cartoon, they have no idea it was made in Japan. Same goes for Sailor Moon and similar stuff that aired back then.

Also consider the following: people think that liking things that are being made for kids now is degenerate, but liking franchises you already liked as a child is just nostalgia.

>metal chopsticks
It makes sense, but it still doesn't sit right with me.

>gookshit
No thanks I had more than enough. Seriously though why are they so obsessed with NTR?

What’s the point of this? Japan already has a “cool” image and their soft power ranks amongst the best.

Well from all the manga Sup Forums read and all the anime Sup Forums watched the average user should know some Japanese history

Koreans are empty, hallow, bug-like people who have no lives of their own. They thrive on drama infused into every possible form of media they consume.

You forgot
>Weebs fucked gooks and chinks b4 getting nukes