Konosuba

These are the designs of Darkness, Aqua and Megumin back when it was still a WN.

Say nice things about them.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/G4Pl4PQslGc
streamable.com/28oin
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Darkness design is nice. Generic but I like modest looking women with but really lewd. Megumin is a bit older but not 18 yet.

Aqua looks like a derp.

The web novel designs are too generic and unmemorable. I can see why they changed the design but I wished they kept Megumin older and Darkness without the udders.

Women who hit the weights don't have boobs.

These Megumin and Darkness designs could work in something more serious.

I love Aqua-sama!

I have a thing for chicks in armor, so Darkness actually looks better here, in my opinion.

More Megumin.

Megumin's hime cut and black robe makes her look like a totally different character, yet I can still imagine her with her usual personality.

Darkness WN>LN
Aqua WN

Wow, Darkness actually looks likeable.

No, the WN designs are all inferior. Too generic.

I can see why they changed her design. It doesn't match with her personality in the WN.

the rap of these designs with their personality would probably make these characters even funnier

you would be caught off guard and disappointed more if you seen left act like a perverted masochist or middle acting like a little child.

Eh, neither does her LN appearance. It's kind of part of the joke, she looks to be a proper lady knight but then the image is completely shattered the moment she opens her mouth.

Aqua still looks dumb though. Although you're right about the other two.

Literally better in every way

The dumb boob armor works for wannabe lady knight.

>>Women who hit the weights don't have boobs.

Of Konosuba's highly realistic setting this is definitely the most glaring flaw.

normally I hate the "old > new" opinions but I think I like the WN designs more

>but they look generic
but wouldn't that make things better? that they look like average competent fantasy characters but then they act like the disappointments they are?

do you have the original design of Kazuma?

The OP is just fanart of the WN based on rough descriptions of the characters, so have another one.

That megumin is really nice.
I want her to step on me kinda nice.

>I want her to step on me kinda nice.
That's the wrong way of doing things son.

I prefer all but Aqua's design. She looks better in the LN / anime; straight up. Never been a fan of Megumin's design, and this one makes her look a bit more mature and elegant, but still believably her age. And while I like Darkness' LN design, this one makes her look much more robust and dignified, making her perverse personality a greater sticking point.

That megumin is amazing

She doesn't, she just spends her skill points.

Guys it would be really useful to consider the medium we're talking about. I'm just talking about the anime since the show takes its cues from the visuals of the LN, not the WN. Plus the OP is NOT from the WN, it's fan art.

Aqua is pretty close to a direct translation of her LN form into animated form *when* she is on-model...which is rarely. This is a running theme in Konosuba. If I wanted to really overthink it, it can be said that this embodies the series as a whole...starts with a fairly standard thing then goes way off the fucking rails, real quick.The show (brilliantly) picks and chooses when to ditch rigidity in favor of expressiveness and comedy. (It also just halfasses it sometimes but that's obvious and not the same thing).

I think Aqua benefits from this by far. Going nutso with Megumin is funny sometimes, less often with Darkness, but just absolute gold with Aqua. And it takes real and versatile talent to use that to its full potential, which they do. Look at all those collages of her different expressions. They add so much to the show itself that it elevates it far beyond what it would have been and combined with a VA who stepped up to the plate, it's magical. Sticking closely to the LN or model sheet too carefully would totally blow and lose 90% of her personality. She is sheer magic and even if you hate her beyond all sanity, this IS WHY.

>waifufag spergs out at the drop of a hat

Darkness get a lot of shit for being a one-note character but that's utterly bullshit. People just see what they wanna see, plus the other sides of her do not stick out like a sore thumb and get lost in a show full of visual madness and overblown situations. She is elegant *most of the time*, ladylike, calm and sweet. She is also flat-out heroic and brave, not just because she's trying to get off on being beat up. She mostly saves that for adventuring with her dipshit friends and there is a pretty distinct line between her duties as a holy knight hero, and her masochistic side. She is an epic-tier hero who can hold the tides of enemies in outright warfare and is acclaimed for this, and also for her dignified nobility and kindness. We're just used to seeing her over the top depravity because the viewer is in the middle of those situations because they're funny and the show isn't about Lady Dustiness being elegant, drinking tea, and being a role model (which she is, barring her fetishes, which only her close friends know about and her goddess has condoned).

It's hard to convey this visually and she hasn't been in a position to play the straight man much in the show like she does in the LNs. So she is designed to look like she is mentally-pretty and kind but the trash is right below the surface at best, and her huge boobs and slutty body need to make her character clear. Hence boob armor. I wish the show could get to more of her offhand comments like in the second OVA where she tells Kazutrash that if he is interested in bdsm play, she'll do it with him at home. But it's not in your face.

Aqua is always Aqua no matter what, Megumin never tries to be anything but a chu2 retard and their designs show this. Darkness is in her armor part of the time but in ladylike pantyhose or basically OL outfits when she's in downtime mode. Here are some *non* depraved faces of Darkness.

Is this pasta?

Worse, this is retardation.

>long black hair

See if this was the Megumin in the anime, I would actually understand her waifufags.

youtu.be/G4Pl4PQslGc
Here's the subbed Drama CD from the PS4 game, if anyone's interested.

Megumin is sort of a middle ground. She looks outright idiotic in her gear but has a more "normal" look, at times. When Darkness is in her casuals, Megumin is still chuu2'd to the 9s unless they are in PJs or whatever. She even shops with that stupid hat on. She wears what she is (that's pretty much the point of chuunis and let's face it, teens in general). Her look, bearing and animation nail her personality. I wish there were more scenes that made her scheming, sadistic side clear, not just her naive-young-teenager and cocky chuuni parts. She IS a dipshit like the others, just as bad, but she has a bit of worldliness that the others don't.

I love when she's shown with a more appropriate/realistic body like in the haunted house ep. when she is running around and has thighs like a real girl, not a standard anime waif. She has different legs at home in her PJs or in a towel than she does in her standard gear. Her character design changes.

I despise how so many people claim to love her and want to go full-waifu with her BUT only if they alter her core traits. Shitty boring pleb-tier long hair, boring featureless mage robe, placid eyes, moemoe cuteness rather than a nutcase retard who is endearing *due* to the charm of her idiotic demeanor and deadpan personality that is easily excited by the ridiculous. If your favorite Megumin does not have her weirdo, Hot Topic employee haircut, dangerous eyes and expressive yet eye-roller fashion sense, you don't actually like Megumin and are just making up your own fanwank and copypasting cherrypicked features from Megumin to stick onto your headcanon crap.

The reason she was de-aged is simple. It's funnier. She is also far from a one-note character. Insane explosion girl is a flaw she can't control, not her entire personality. She is also petty and vindictive. Arrogant yet insecure at the same time. HUGE chip on her shoulder. Making her 14 makes all this way funnier and her design reinforces this immensely.

>implying I only started that recently

The anime has her all over the place, but this is the body she is supposed to have. She is indeed supposed to be a beanpole at intro though due to malnutrition, this is part of why Kazuma thought she was younger then she was. After a few months of eating ravenously has her legs hips and butt fill out to what we should see for the rest of the series.

Megumin is best girl.

That Megumin is giving Xellos vibes.

Megumin is for gentle loving after she's expended all fer mana exploding random shit

so a world where the party was competent they look like that

Star with that, then go to

And also for bending over for rough sex.

Oh wow joining the Axis cult really does tank your IQ.

Well no, that's just what you personally want to see her look like. The thing about her starting off as a beanpole would have merit, but she never actually changes. Ep. 20 Megumin and ep. 2 Megumin are equally scrawny. Conversely when she is in her pajamas, she has some realistic thighs but next episode she is the same as the scene she was introduced in. I like that pic you posted but really, it just has more carefully drawn and standard, more toned anatomy. It's not more canon than anything else, in fact it's less canon because THE literal canon is the model sheet everything else is supposed to adhere to, and that pic only sorta fits. So yeah, it's one way she could look when you are going for max healthy sex appeal in a swimming pool.

They weren't competent then either.

Sucks though that attempts at in-depth discussion are met with immediate shitposts that add nothing. Mods are slacking.

Megumin isn't for rough sex, she is like a dog or some other cute pet. She is cute and funny to watch,maybe you mention explosions around her and watch her get all excited just like a dog does when you mention something like walks. But sane people don't fuck their dogs, just like you don't fuck Megumin.

>she is like a dog or some other cute pet
I believe you've misspelt Aqua.

>another Konosuba thread
>waifuwars as always

,,,I tried :/

Actually, due to the animation director not enforcing the models, none of it is 'canon' rather, I prefer to go by the LN art as the 'true canon'. That said, you can distinctly find parts from the anime that match the visuals from that pic from before, whichever key animator is responsible I wish would be promoted...seriously. All these 'official' art pieces , posters and game collabs well... She goes from that body all the way to looking like a six year old. The LN art starts her in 'beanpole' mode, even showing this in the Bakuen book arts, while consistently filling her hips, butt and legs over time.

I miss the old Konosuba fanbase

>Those thighs

But Aqua is for fucking just not a relationship.

Indeed, all her development is below the belt....

Well, she's only like a pet and not actually a pet, you can fuck her just fine.

Anything else would be a mistake.

Dem Ass fang.....

She's small, but not a true flat.... She canonically wraps/ties her buds down...We just rarely see her without them on.

>She canonically wraps/ties her buds down
What? No she doesn't.

Lalatina still best girl.

Since volume one, that's the 'white' you see in the opening of her shirt BTW, it's the wrapping behind them. It's consistent.

Yeah, and in that very same picture Darkness has a proper breastplate instead of a boobplate, so I wouldn't say it's "consistent". Especially considering how often Megumin complains about being treated as a Loli.

She does get treated as a loli (breast have nothing to do with that), and it's consistent as in it's in virtually all her art. She uses wraps in place of a bra (she just doesn't need more, or doesn't want to spend money). That a cleavage slit on her dress BTW, the wraps are why we don't see skin through it.

Their character designs are like some kind of beta test in that pic. She has a chain on her blowjob blackbelt, you can see a fastener where her leg wrapping is kept on. Last bit is interesting because it makes her more of a true Earth chuuni with bandages rather than her usual cloth wrapping that looks like an rpg character version of a chuuni. Her eyepatch is a different one, her hat has the colors changed, Darkness is wearing completely different armor.

There are the getups they wear on laundry day.

Also don't forget that her panties are of the wrong color.

This Megumin reminds me more of Yunyun.

That's not far off (calling them beta) that's only her second image in the books. The wraps are almost always a thing though (This image is from book 11). Also notice her hips and thighs are so wide now they barely even fit in the frame...

The book actually says 'white', her black undies are anime original.

Oh, that's interesting. I didn't know that.

Yup! They are white in the manga as well...That said, I prefer her fancy black anime panties!
Book 12 EP art -
Get a good look at Megumin's...Assets.

THICC
H
I
C
C

They definitely refined LN Megs as they went along. It's like that with any long-running character and a competent artist. Smartest bet is to assume little to no thought was put into making her look different due to story reasons. The artist just tries to make her look better each time or at least they try when they aren't phoning it in.

As to the wraps, they are a little bit inconsistent from day one till now in every form of media she appears in. I think they are there when the pose requires it or it looks good, there's room for that detail, etc.. You don't see them normally other than to fill in the gap in her dress when it would otherwise have shown skin. Sometimes if her dress stitching is sorta pulled closed, you see skin where the wraps should be (maybe it's a small enough spot that adding that white would be distracting and such). Also sometimes you can see into her dress on top and there are no signs of the bandages...I think they do it when it's artistically useful, helps the scene, whatever. Like when Yunyun is pulling her dress down (You'll rip it!) in the strip/paper/scissors scene, she is very clearly not wearing them. Although maybe she stripped them already! Too lazy to check.

They're her training bra, pretty much. And let her have the dress design (which would be really revealing) but keep some decency. At any rate, we all know there are no bras in Australia.

How do you think Kazuma would react to seeing megumin in her school attire?

The big difference there is you are referring to her anime design, which is simplified for animation(but non canon). In general, they do what they can...but this is DEEN we are talking about. The animation director didn't even want o bother keeping the faces straight. You have to really go out of your way to find LN art of Megu in her robes without visible chest wraps though.

I don't need to think, I know.
streamable.com/28oin

This guy gets it. 100% agree.

This Megumin looks gloomy. This Darkness is OK tho.

>gloomy
That's no particular emotion, plus a hint of magician mystique.

Megumin was much better than the garbage we have now.

The mystic of a magician in and off itself suggests an air of gloominess, or at least distantness. If I didn't know her character, I'd say she is a kuudere mage character who probably is much older than she looks and is maintaining her youthful appearance through magical means.

Distance is the correct word. A magician merely deigns to pay attention to the physical world in between optimizing spells and pondering the mysteries of the universe. Or so the mystique goes.

I'm talking about every incarnation of her including the LNs, manga, anime, model sheets, and figures (of which I have 3).

Distant is also generally part of coming off as gloomy, so, you know, as far as impressions from a single image goes...

Are you implying Megumin we have now is not gloomy, mystical and aloof? If so, let's hear it! She even has a mahjek hitem!

That's your bias. Being lost in your own world is rarely unhappy.

It appears that way in the eyes of observers, which is usually the case for what a character comes off as. It's the same reason why pyro comes off as a dangerous maniac while being a five year old child inside.

>gloomy, mystical and aloof
Do any those terms look like they apply to the girl in this gif?

Like I said, that's a personal interpretation. Distance rarely comes off as gloom to me. I imagine you don't like many kuuderes.

I actually do, gloominess is not necessarily a negative quality, it just implies that the character is composed, stoic and rarely cracks a smile.

So when she finally does it becomes all the more precious.

Ahh ok, I understand your context now. I just mean to say that the LN's are the source material after all (As the WN designs are actually fan made anyhow).

Man, those are some delicious thighs.

>gloominess is not necessarily a negative quality
'Gloomy' is a mildly negative word user.

Mildly negative, yes, but so is "pale" and that doesn't stop it from being a desired quality. Just because a word is generally negative doesn't mean that it will be when you attach it to a girl, or even a person.

It also implies being depressed, which is blatantly false for most kuudere.

WAGA NA WA MEGUMIN! IT I WERE TO REMOVE THIS EYEPATCH, A FATE WOULD BEFALL THIS WORLD TOO TERRIBLE TO IMAGINE!