Bd upscales

Which one do you prefer Sup Forums?
>Upscaled BD
>Upscaled BD downscaled back to 480p
>Original DVD encode
of course, under the assumption that the anime was produced originally at 480p

I can't tell a difference

hint: the bd release has one of those filters like the one used in the classic disney's bd, but not as bad, it is acutally more noticeable on the high res releases and on some detailed backgrounds. the first encode also contains some ringing

>Upscaled BD downscaled back to 480p
This.

DVD source and madvr if I need the upscale.

This

I don't watch anime stuck in the early digital 480p hell.

And if studios and publishers are too lazy to reshot the anime. Like Shaft did it for Hidamari x365. Assets weren't HD level but it looks way better than any upscales.

I still dont get why the shitty "1080p" 2GB releases always get the most downloads

People assuming that they are higher quality, without realizing they are upscales?

Upscale does not necessarily mean it's worthless. Sure, if you take a some file and upscale it, the original file is still of at least equal quality.
But that is not the case with BDs vs DVDs.
DVDs typically carry low quality encodes. BDs, even if upscales, typically come with more data from the original master. That means they are better.

I hate upscales.

I cant decide between RF 17 or 16 on DVD encodes

This.

upscaling usually goes along with filtering, which actually loses information

They all look the same to me, what are the differences?

>Spanish speaker
>Have tons of DVD releases from Anime Underground
I can't be the only one that burned DVDs am I?

Nothing's perfect, and I would never claim that every BD release is better than every original release.
But as a general rule I think it holds true.

BDs are 1080p.

Broadcast TV is 720p.

DVDs are 480p.

These are the correct resolutions. Only one thing I can think of that may change that is black bars on the top and bottom in movies, which is not worth re-encoding. Correct me if there are more exceptions.

576p for PAL muslims.

Those are the "standard" but many broadcast are now varies between shit and 1080p and BD can sometimes just an upscale with scene correction/fixes.

most modern anime is produced at 720p
most bds are actually just upscales

>a video upscaled and filtered with actual, good quality methods like vapoursynth and waifu2x
>a video upscaled in real time by your video player's upscaler and filtered with who knows what
gee I wonder what will be the best one

broadcasts may actually be at different resolutions
kakegurui was 810p

Yeah, there was a case of JoJo airing on one of the Japanese channels and it was lower than 720p and looked much worse than the CR rip. Can't find the comparison pic now.

>kakegurui was 810p
On Netflix?

i just dl the highest resolution i can (but prefer 720p bd to 1080p tv) because i'm too lazy to research all this shit.

If I uploaded a good quality 10bit DVD encode of Haruhi would you download it instead of the upscaled blurays?

>vapourmeme
>waifu2x
>wanting to bloat filesizes with fake data
I feel sick.

DVD can be 576p too

no, but if I were to this would be the best option

I'll take an upscale if they didn't filter it too much. It's usually worth it if it gets rid of rainbow artifacts or pixelation from an anamorphic encode.

>good quality methods like vapoursynth and waifu2x
You are fucking retarded.