Should I read hunterxhunter? I’ve heard it’s as good of a shonen as things like one piece and jojos which I love...

Should I read hunterxhunter? I’ve heard it’s as good of a shonen as things like one piece and jojos which I love, but unlike those two I hate how it looks. Is it written well enough to make me like it despite its bad art style?

HxH is like the only manga where I'd recommend the anime adaptation.

Also the art during the Chimera Ant arc is so bad it's plain unreadable, fuck off I don't care if the paneling is still good.

Some don't, some do. It's divisive enough that you should just give it a shot, because you could fall into either camp.
Also, if you're going to follow the advice of I suggest you at least read the first chapter so you're not confused about Kite being a thing.

Yes. In my life I've regretted wasting my time in many things, even things I actually like. But reading Hunter x Hunter isn't one of them. I don't know how you'll feel, though, when I started reading it the memes weren't a thing and I started reading it as just another good shonen, without having heard much stuff against or for it. I don't know how my readthrough would've felt if I had seen O MY posters, overhyped people on youtube, waifufags, shotafags, or "Togashi is a god" and "Togashi is a hack" posts beforehand.

The volume relases fix a lot of that, though. And Togashi is indisputably a good artist, he's just an even better writer so at times he doesn't give a fuck about what he's drawing as long as he conveys the message he wants to deliver. Seeing him go back and forth from shitty scribbles to insanely well constructed and accurately detailed drawings -not through long periods of time, but just within chapters, pages and even fucking panels of the same page- is quite the experience.

hxh is great but it's not for everyone. You need a high IQ to actually appreciate it. If you only like battle shounens with nonstop fighting then stay away.

Hisoka best boy

I've liked Hunter X Hunter since I was 12. You're not special for liking a manga.

>Is it written well enough to make me like it despite its bad art style?

it has better writing that jojo and one piece, and as a manga it has one of the best panel work on the industry, but it can get very wacky at times due to Togashi not being that consistent of an artist

if you like reading things fast then watch the anime, the manga goes ham with details at one point, you'd prefer watching/listening than reading it to get the whole thing, If you stop to read things carefully then just read the manga

Serious question, I have never read or watched this series but have been aware of it since the early 2000s, don't the characters age?

Not significantly.

It's by far my favourite piece of media Japan has produced; I dunno how it manages it, but it strucks all the chords I like in an unadulterated way, without adding artsy bullshit.
I almost immediately found it special and it just seems to keep evolving to go in line with my tastes as I grow up.

If you want a good long running shonen, read Gash Bell

>I'd recommend the anime adaptation.
I hope you mean '99 version and not the shitty 2011 one.

>If you want a good long running shonen, read Mankin
ftfy

Mankin is okay at best.

OP fuck off and kill yourself.
You're wasting a thread slot with your dumbass question, if you want to read it, read it.
If you don't want to read it, don't read it.
Don't waste other user time reading your spiel, give this board some respect user.

>okay at best
You misspelled Godtier

Yeah you need lots of space for all those "what's worse Naruto or Fairy Tale?" or "The great debate [Image with two random anime]" threads that are constantly being made.

>asks as if he had limited time to read manga
>posts in Sup Forums

Read the first chapter and then watch episode 2 onwards with the 2011 version. Contains little to no filler.

Weak bait

They're about 2 years older by the current chapters, and the differences are somewhat subtle with more muscle detail and whatnot

HxH is the shounen to watch when you've seen all other shounen. It's truly the endgame shounen

>he's a 99fag

Just read psyche, its better

>Bait
>Implying it’s not a caricature of the fanbase’s holier-than-thou attitude

that was a bait

O

Saike is enjoyable to read but it's not as good as HxH.

This.

You have 10 seconds to legitimately praise HxH

find me 1 thing wrong with this webm besides "muh edge". It's not even deep either, just a very basic outlook but helps drive the point home

Read the first few volumes and decide yourself, simple as that. Don't listen to people praising it because they overhype it. HxH is not flawless, far from it. It has many flaws and if you don't like what it's doing feel free to drop it.

HxH knows how to be a great story. It isn't necessarily deep all the time but has beautiful messages and fantastic characters. Togashi really loves to emphasize human strength without dependence on typical strengths like physical strength or even mental fortitude at times.

Most humans live pretty good lives. That there are bad (horrific) points doesn't erase that, nor is it healthy to pretend that animals with no drive but to procreate and multiply are better. That kind of outlook leads to people wasting away their life because it "doesn't matter anyway."

But that arc also had Komugi teach the King the good points of being human, so it's not as shallow as that webm would be alone.

I don't want to get into spoilers since this presumably isn't a thread made by a reader, but I do think HxH fans focus on the wrong things about the series. In that regard, "edge" posters do have a point.

MY

>Most humans live pretty good lives
no

Yeah, that's actual nonsense

Even at lower levels of the ladder most people are better off than your average wild animal that's likely to get sick or eaten at some point in its life. And anyone reading HxH is several levels above that.

>But that arc also had Komugi teach the King the good points of being human, so it's not as shallow as that webm would be alone.
It's clear that this was exactly Togashi's point if you read chapter 315. Humanity isn't inherently evil.

It's worth reading just not right now. If you do end up liking it, you'll only end up regretting catching up because the author goes on year long hiatuses very often.

I think people ignore that point to trash the arc.

it's cute and sometimes surprises

>has beautiful messages
That’s called being pretentious

I wish I lived in their world, it's so metal.

The arcs have a good variety in content and style between them.

>Having a message is pretentious
Can you at least say how or why it's pretentious

You would get killed quick if you wanted to be a fighter there

it's bad unless it's nothing but powerups and mindless fighting

>Bad art
That's what you get for reading it online

I'm around 40 chapters in and not really enjoying it, though I've been told that it gets good a bit further in? I don't find any of the characters or the setting in general particularly engaging at all.

Honestly, I think it was better before it had long going story arcs with endless fighting. The slice of life comedy was supreme.

Up until the final arc (which everyone agrees on being sorta weak) it basically dipped back and forth between the two.

Drop it, in the beginning Togashi tries to bait a reader into being interested who the hunters are while not giving more info than the main character knows. If it's not good it won't be good.

it's also bad if it only has powerups and mindless fighting.

I remember earlier this week, 80% of the threads were some shounen shit. Mostly "who's stronger" "one piece" and DBS threads.
Has this board been filled with 14 year old Mexicans?

oh my god the fucking pedros again.

>Tries to impart the readers with a message, while the message is the author’s supposed worldview and the main focus of an entire arc, message had little to no value to the overarching story
By the book definition of pretentious
Sasuga

who?

DBS brought about the great Mexican anime resurgence. God help us all when the Saint Seiya remake arrives.

This is stupid, do not listen to him.
Read it, the volume releases clean up the rough sketches, and yes you HAVE to go with the volume releases. You read Hunter x Hunter for the storytelling and writing, not the art though he has a lot of good pieces when he wants to. If you are going to watch it, watch '99 first up to the end of the OVA's and if you must continute watching it, jump to 2011 for two more arcs but always read HxH first.