Does 'over-directed' anime exist or is it as much of a meme as 'forced animation'?

Does 'over-directed' anime exist or is it as much of a meme as 'forced animation'?

It's a fucking meme. There's no such thing as over-directed, forced animation, or artificial difficulty.

Sup Forums users are so used to meme shit like Kemono Friends and Umaru that they've forgotten what it looks like when someone puts effort into art or animation. It's pretty frightening and upsetting for a lot of them.

It's like walking into someone's migraine.

Yes, it exists, and always refers to a scene where pointless over-exaggerated movements happens. Mostly, the character suddenly behaves like a twitching sperg.

This webm is semi-infamous now on Sup Forums.

>Does 'over-directed' anime exist
No
>'forced animation'
This one does.

It's even more of a a meme, at least you can understand what people mean by forced animation, even though they use it in bullshit cases, however what the fuck could over-direction even begin to mean?

"Over-directed" is new Shaft while actual good direction is old Shaft. That's the difference.

In directing animation of any sort, motion is meant to call attention to something. In series like Hyouka, the focus is often lost because they felt like giving detailed animation to completely useless things like someone entering a door. It's the animation equivalent of having loud music during a quiet scene.

Bingo.

Hyouka was still great, though.

they're both bad ways to refer to real phenomena. when the directing or the animation feels like it's all in on what amounts to flourishes and you think the basic fundamentals of the scene or movement are lacking regardless.

Fuck off, Kizu and 3gatsu are the best things SHAFT has made.

>detailed animation to completely useless things
But that "detailed" animation is their standard.

Yeah, I meant to exclude Kizu but forgot sorry.

>motion is meant to call attention to something
>giving detailed animation to [...] someone entering a door
maybe you can try putting 2 and 2 together

>artificial difficulty.
This actually does exist, but only if you're talking about things that rely too heavily on luck or patience.

>forced animation
It exists, it's just incredibly rare (Nanoha dinner scene, for example).

Any work of shaft

Is this over-directed or under-directed?

anyone know more websites like animecinematography.blogspot?

>patience
???

Despite what Sup Forums may believe, "direction" is not a competition or an endurance of how much be added to a film or medium. When people discuss filmmaking from a technical standpoint, it's typically screenplay analysis to theorize and hypothesize WHY something works, or not. If you can't elaborate, then really there's no discussion. It's safe to say that the level of discourse here is very superficial and infantile.

blog.sakugabooru.com, kinda.
This is just poorly produced, the composition is not that bad.

Assuming you're going in a Sup Forums direction, things which rely on the player just out-lasting their opponent, or having to keep doing something over and over to have any effect, something that's really just a endurance test is artificial difficulty.

Imagine being this dumb

I still don't understand what you're trying to say. Endurance is a skill like any other.

>'over-directed' anime

Isn't that just an excuse for people with shit taste to try and blame good anime for being good?

that blog rarely even talks about sakuga, their posts are mostly about the business of the industry

Normally what it refers to is not something actually becoming more difficult, but just more of a pain in the ass. For example, lets say you took an enemy in a game where you can avoid taking any damage at all. Then you give it four times the health it normally has. You haven't made fighting that enemy any more difficult, you just made the fight take longer. Or you could increase the damage it does by a similar figure. It gets fuzzy on when it stops being proper enemy design and starts being artificial difficulty.

Should use this in hentai desu.

Yes, but if that's all there is, its artificial. For example, having to repeatedly fight enemies which have next to no chance of winning for an absurd amount of time is not "difficult", its just tedious.

I think that "over-directed" and "forced animation", are innaccurate terms, but I get what people mean when they use them.
The job of direction is to make sure that the audience can follow the events of the story and can read the emotions of the characters. Sometimes, less is more when achieving that. Good direction is about making judgement calls on what visuals will be appreciated by the audience and help their understanding at what momements. Direction can use stylish, ostentatious visuals to convey actions and emotions, but that might just make it confusing for the audience to tell what's going on, and not make the emotions of a scene hit home. I think "inappropriate direction" is a better term for this.
Animation is similar, and is linked to the overall direction. Having a sequence of impressive animation at a pivotal, high energy moment in the story can make a scene really hit home. But having it during a scene where it isn't necessary can just be distracting and ruin the flow of the scene. A fucking prime of example of this, that happens all the time, is when there's an emotional scene of a character crying, and they show like a 10+ second cut of the character thrashing about with their face contorting in intricate ways. That isn't emotional, because it's clearly just meant to be impressive and lasts way too long. And it isn't impressive, because it's undercutting an emotional moment. A single still, lasting for maybe 2 seconds, of the character's tear streaked face would be far more striking and effective. Again, sometimes less is more, both the direction and animation should display an understanding of this, and I think "inappropriate animation" is a better term.

>tri-monthly OVAthat looks worse than Shaft's weekly TV shows
How did they fuck up SO badly?

Yes, but we don't call it overdirected we call it badly directed.

>you just made the fight take longer.
Which makes the fight harder, because you need to survive for longer.

No need to be mean to this movie, clearly it's the director's weakest work but it was his first time directing a movie and he turned up his usual style to 11 with all that budget.

Still more aesthetically pleasing that some of Go Hands productions.

>blog.sakugabooru.com
A bit off topic but am I the only person that's annoyed with the ratings on Sakugabooru? It seems more like a popularity contest than an actual judgement of quality. Mediocre animation from a big-name shonen will often outscore amazing animation from older more obscure anime, often from the 80s or 90s.

If it's a difficult foe, sure, fighting against it for a substantial period is more difficult than it dying instantly, but there's a point where it stops being "real" difficulty, and the only difficulty is because of ridiculous numbers one way or the other.

I honestly just wanted to talk about directing in anime. I actually like the director's work, although he went a overboard with this movie.

Link to some "high level discourse" then.

>blog.sakugabooru.com
They mostly talk about 'who did this, who did that'. Not to mention wanking on Yamada too.

What is the best directed anime of the year and why is it The Dragon Dentist?

>QUALITY and 3Dshit up the ass
>pretentious

Pure garbage

Are you capable of articulating why you think it's good, or did you just see Tsurumaki's name attached and that's it

What did it pretend to be that it was not?

>over-directed
>forced animation

I don't know, but I'm sure there's such a thing as a forced meme

Forced animation and artificial difficulty exist, though.

The only instance of "forced animation" I can name is that rotoscoped scene from Idolmaster that looks like it was animated by a group of drunkards at the final hour of production.

Tsurumaki's name is more than enough reason to assume it is well-directed, then again I haven't watched the thing, so maybe it is trash.

It's trash unfortunately