>No thread about Kino's Journey
What the fuck happened?

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/idohori_people/status/926120814574952448
youtu.be/Gsfu82kv3iE
youtu.be/pLjT89nANvU
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I'm curious about that too.
It seems like every Kino's Journey thread these days just dies around 50 posts or so.
Maybe it's because there just isn't that much to talk about, and a majority of posters here don't even read the LN's so all they can only talk about is what the current episode brought to the table until the next episode airs.

If only this new series wasn't so underwhelming then maybe these threads would be far more popular and reach the bump limit every time. Maybe, just maybe if this new series was actually compelling and thought provoking, then maybe anons would actually pick up the LN's and we'd be discussing this series all night & day.

Be around on the day it aired, that one reached the bump limit.

Is the series bad? I've been watching it and so far I've been enjoying what I've been seeing.

The new series is just too mediocre to constantly post about.

I don't think it's bad, I just feel underwhelmed by it.
To be entirely fair though, after all these years my own personal expectations for any reboot/remake/new LN story adaptions of Kino's Journey would far exceed anything that we'd eventually get.

I think this new series is sweet and pleasing in a sort of "Saturday morning cartoon" kind of way.

I'm just a little surprised that it's underwhelming is all, considering I just watched Kino singlehandedly topple an entire country. Hearing that makes me want to see what happened in the LN.

The old series was kinda underwhelming as well, it's just that your expectations were lower back then. I watched it for the first time earlier this year and I think the new series is about as good.

You should pick up the LN's.
With any literature it's up to the reader's imagination to paint the story in their heads and fill in any blanks, interpreting the words as they see fit. That's why I've always found reading to be more entertaining than watching. Your mind can either make a story exciting and interesting or could make it very boring. It's all up to you.

Obviously your experience reading them may vary from mine and you might develop unrealistic expectations for future episodes or any other anime adaptions like I did. Gotta have an open mind... something I'm working on.

The 2017 series is almost as good an adaptation as it gets. It's pretty much 1:1 with the LN, and no filler, no fluff, no warping the entire plot of a chapter into something unrecognizable, and no silly "it's all a dream" hints.

If you dislike this series that much, you wouldn't like the novels. That's not to say that this series is perfect, but it serves it's purpose very well and I feel Sigsawa has a much more hands on role in this series than the 2003 one. I'm honestly amazed by how well they were able to replicate the artstyle, I love seeing the 21st LN cover in the opening, and Kino actually looks good in this.

If there's something that is bad though, it's how they don't animate the flashbacks. Like in the last episode, they didn't anime the head priest selling Photo or anything like that, or the Ship Country where they didn't animate Herme's story about Ti's parents.

>It's pretty much 1:1 with the LN
That's the problem I have with it.
When an LN or book gets adapted on screen I want to see the director take some creative license with the content he's given, making something that does the source material justice while polishing off any rough ends with their own unique content. Of course I don't want him/her to turn it into their own twisted personal vision that isn't true to the LN's, just something that the readers can enjoy without having to watch a carbon copy that's missing some parts of what they just read. Obviously newcomers to the series will enjoy it too since they have nothing to compare it to, kind of like me when I first watched the 2003 series and became interested in the light novels after. The '03 series was a bit "unique," now that I'm looking back on it, but at least it was enjoyable and kept me compelled enough to watch whole thing.
In the end I guess anime adaptions really are just glorified advertisements to sell off their source material. It's good at least because it means more people will be picking up the LN's, popularity begins to rise, and hopefully we get more out of it.

I don't think either of these scenes really needs a flashback, unless it would add something I'm not aware of not having read the novels. Keeping the action linear was probably better for the pacing.

The problem with the new series is the lackluster direction. The better art doesn't outweigh the fact that the old series profited from the broad vision of a genius like Nakamura, while this new guy, a literal who, is just content with presenting everything in the blandest possible way. There's no atmosphere, no human warmth, no philosophical depth. The last episode was exemplary in its ugly crudeness.

Oh haven't seen you in a while

He isn't wrong.

Turn down the saturation, you'll get your atmosphere back.

Not an argument.

I'd like to make an argument, but I honestly don't see a way to argue with any of your points. Like, what the fuck can you say to "There's no atmosphere" other than "yes there is you fucking faggot fite me IRL"?

Everything would be perfect IF Ai Maeda voiced Kino in the 2017 series and Aoi YĆ«ki re-dubbed Kino from the 2003 series.
Their respective voices would match the design of each others Kino's so well.
Aoi's more tomboyish and slightly huskier voice would be perfectly fitting for potato Kino while Ai's more softer feminine tone would be stellar with this new Kino's more girly design.

What about the other two points?

Same thing. It's all subjective stuff and there's really nothing I can say about that.

You're no fun.

Not an argument.

It's not really subjective. The ''atmosphere'' he speaks of is created by cinematography, music etc.

I guess the closest thing you can relate this to is aesthetics, and aesthetics can be discussed in objective terms.

>while this new guy, a literal who, is just content with presenting everything in the blandest possible way.
I'd totally be okay with this literal who director if he only took some risks with the direction like Nakamura did. Even if his direction utterly failed in the end then I'd still respect him, provided that he took risks within reason. Although I wouldn't want him to go full snowflake and end up like Hiroyuki Morita did when he completely butchered Bokurano.

He has atleast one trick he have used 2 or 3 times already.

Yeah but that doesn't count as a directional risk in my opinion, just a gimmick for shock factor.

Well, I'd say that atmosphere is something beyond all that, if you like the music say you like the music, if you like the direction say you like the direction, everything in between is atmosphere, the intangible feeling you get when you watch an episode. Maybe it's not entirely subjective and you could actually analyze what makes up a show's atmosphere, but my point was really that if you say "I don't like the atmosphere" then there's really nothing left for me to say apart from "I do".

I still think people have a wrong idea of what exactly Kino's Journey is as a series. Not every story is slow, philosophical and introspective in nature, yet when they see the show as something contrary to what they were expecting, they become put off by it as a result.

Also, I think articles claiming Kino to be an SJW character without a gender or even being trans is harming the western anime viewing community's willingness to watch it as well.

Oh hey, someone made Kino in CM3D2.
twitter.com/idohori_people/status/926120814574952448

>Kino being trans

How in the wold could anyone that has ever actually read the novels or watched either show draw that conclusion?

Disgusting.

The new series is too bland and lifeless to warrant too much discussion.

dropped it

The dream like atmosphere is what made the 2003 series work so well. This new adaptation takes a far too literal approach to adapting the source materiel.

Why can't we just use the show as an excuse to talk about the source material, since that's usually what happens for adaptions?

I seriously cannot wait for this next episode.
It will be the first time we've seen Master since 2005.
This is some exciting stuff.

Because the source is so old there's nothing left to talk about.

>articles claiming Kino to be an SJW character without a gender or even being trans
What the fuck.

>character without a gender or even being trans
This reminds me of the whole Zelda/Sheik gender argument... This is just too fucking ridiculous.

2003 OP/ED> OP/ED

youtu.be/Gsfu82kv3iE
youtu.be/pLjT89nANvU

There's a new volume every year and age is a jack-shit excuse when people can and do still talk about old series like Evangelion, SEL, Haibane Renmei, etc. Etc.

At this point I'm starting to think the source material wasn't that good to begin with, and that it was only the director of the old anime that managed to make it good.

Yeah, I haven't read the LN's but this doesn't make me even want to try.

No argument there, though the ED in the new one is still way ahead of the OP.

>that it was only the director of the old anime that managed to make it good.
You kind of hit the nail right on the head there, user. The LN's are special in their own right, but Nakamura managed to turn them into something greater.

You might be right. I mean the director of the old version was a behemoth. And there's plenty of examples of shit source material being turned into anime gold. See: Kyoani.

The LN's work well because it is up the the readers imagination to fill in the blanks. The 2003 the series tried to capture this with the dream like atmosphere surrounding the show. The 2017 version feels so lifeless due to it trying to just straight up adapt what is on the page.

All the Way is so comfy.

>watch the new nu-kino no tabi
>the repeat the cgi parts

Lost all interest after the horrible first episode and learning that the next one was a retread. Sorry my dudes.
Maybe I'll binge watch after it airs.

The CG is literally the definition of soulless

Are the LNs actually translated?

A lot of them are, yes.

>ywn cuddle up against Kino underneath a blanket next to a campfire and listen to her tell stories of her travels

Wonder how many horror stories would she tell me.