Cambridge Analytica

Redpill me on this company. Why are they The Evil Of The Day?

>Cambridge Analytica (CA) is a privately held company that combines data mining and data analysis with strategic communication for the electoral process

It does seem like they were doing exactly their job, as advertised

Attached: 512px-Cambridge_Analytica_logo.svg.png (512x493, 25K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/mpbeOCKZFfQ
nytimes.com/2013/06/23/magazine/the-obama-campaigns-digital-masterminds-cash-in.html
civichall.org/civicist/how-cambridge-analytica-exposes-life-in-facebookistan/
np.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/85p30j/deletefacebook_movement_gains_steam_after_50/dvz4y6o/
vocaroo
archive.is/kQE2y
news.ycombinator.com/item?id=16624791
youtube.com/watch?v=FXdYSQ6nu-M
vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/10/16/15657512/cambridge-analytica-christopher-wylie-facebook-trump-russia
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

They allegedly did data mining work for customers the mainstream media dislikes. It's a partisan hit-job.

Attached: 45 - lrRGyBP.jpg (3440x1440, 646K)

>redpill me
flumptard detected

>flumptard
i dont know what that is.

youtu.be/mpbeOCKZFfQ
Ch4 piece exposing them

They've probably been running half this page.

So, how fucked are the GOP come November?

Pure unmitigated MIT evil, that's what.

Oxford Mathematica

Of course they're evil, it's the (((Mercers))).
But the story broken by that pink haired leaf faggot is deep state shit pulling. They just want to eliminate a private sector competitor to what they've been working on for years.
Look up Strategic Communications Laboratories and Sandia National Laboratories.

Attached: hemannicelogo.png (1200x480, 45K)

Holy shit it's the grail emblem.

Creepy.

>They've probably been running half this page.
bingo give that man a coconut

Attached: robert mercer.jpg (3019x4492, 2.5M)

Attached: robert mercer AI.jpg (1894x967, 521K)

whats the word?
>Thunderbird.

What’s so bad about being targeted by ads?

Not at all because its not illegal, they didnt steal the data and Obama was doing it before it was cool. Getting some bullshit demographic data from Faceberg is a long way away from the shady shit FusionGPS did/does

Attached: 1521504194484.jpg (1000x500, 412K)

>They allegedly did data mining work for customers the mainstream media dislikes. It's a partisan hit-job.

This, it's a big hit job.

>Strategic Communications Laboratories and Sandia National Laboratories.

It's Bennu

Course it's everybody else whos being manipulated. Not us Anons. No siree. We're too leet haxxor to have our buttons pushed by frightening videos of third-worlders invading Europe en mass, accompanied by scary music and atmospherics.

didnt affect me at all. im sure it didnt affect you lads either.

absolute fucking propaganda

Attached: Untitled.png (1311x1133, 702K)

>give $10 million to Bannon
>give $10 million to Bannon
>give $2 million to Bannon
way to diversify that portfolio, Mercer

It's probably a You Too.
Last week one of the old lich's minions admitted to wanting to
>control the EU
and influencing German foreign policy to suit Soros' needs.

Attached: 399911.jpg (898x628, 98K)

>The left-wing influence tool calling out the right-wing influence tool.

Well put, that's exactly what it is.

youtu.be/mpbeOCKZFfQ

This has been going on since the days of Edward Bernays, arguably since the invention of the printing press. There's nothing shady about it, people are just convinced that there is because they don't understand the underlying technology. It's just advertising.

/thread

it is also why you never hear anything about hillary data operation, even though facebook executive leaders are caught telling john podesta that they wish to help "in any way that they can".

This is nothing more than a hit job rife with riotous indignation. Obama literally did the exact same thing in 2012

nytimes.com/2013/06/23/magazine/the-obama-campaigns-digital-masterminds-cash-in.html

the services they offer are legitimate.
however, if they are using sex workers to blackmail individuals then it's a little different.

also, if they did manage to get 50m accounts worth of data from facebook by telling them it's for academic research, then they may have committed fraud.

The MUH RUSHA narrative is dead this is the new MUH RUSHA IMPORCH BLUMRF

My name is Dr Pepe Harambe Covfefe and what I'm about to tell you in regards to the President of the United States of America may shock you to the very core of your foundation. I will return to this thread in precisely 1 hour.

>It does seem like they were doing exactly their job, as advertised
No, you are naive if you think that is the case.

Even my local shit newspaper is on this one... a cartoon of a republican elephant sucking data out of Facebook...

Let's be honest:
If I had a tool that lets me win (elections) every time, this would be called unfair.
Winners get accused of unfair cheating, when they totally dominate the field.
If it was possible to win every US election by holding a database that nobody else has, it would get banned.
If the databases move the result only a little, then people would not mind.

Attached: 1477788991101.png (388x400, 338K)

It's funny that C4/The Guardian are accusing CA of using entrapment, when that's precisely what they've done. The data was all obtained by another company prior to mid-2014 (when Friends Permission was scrapped), so CA didn't commit fraud (although the other company might have), and it was all long before Trump was involved.

Both sides do this, the Obama 2012 campaign was hailed worldwide for its digital strategy and people like Jim Messina went to work on all sorts of things (including for Remain in our EU referendum). They're just butthurt because they lost this time.

Grasping at straws

Tesla

the tricks my side uses are genius
the tricks your side uses are evil

*righteous

Ducking Russians hacked my auto correct

They did the same thing for Trump that Facebook did for Obama, and It's Evil When YOU Do It, Not When WE Do It.

Liberals are losing their shit because Trump did what they do better

Don't run a shit candidate and you don't lose

>Why are they The Evil Of The Day?
Because the media has to make it seem like
>ZOMB
>BAD EVIL TRUMP
When it's
>ZOMG
>BAD EVIL AMERICAN CORPORATIONS
>HAVE BEEN DATA MINING
>TO SELL US SHIT
>FOR 20+ FUCKING YEARS
>AND OBAMA DID IT
>FOR THE SAME REASONS WE ARE BITCHING ABOUT
>IN 2012 AND 2008
>BUT FFS
>DON'T THINK ABOUT ANY OF THAT
>THIS IS JUST A 2016 EVIL GOP AND TRUMP PROBLEM

Attached: renhammer.gif (474x266, 619K)

Attached: file.png (490x187, 17K)

civichall.org/civicist/how-cambridge-analytica-exposes-life-in-facebookistan/
>Forgive me for being frustrated by the spectacle of lawmakers suddenly asking questions about what is essentially Facebook’s business model as if they were just born yesterday, and investigative news reporters hyping “data breaches” when in fact these very same lawmakers and journalists are themselves running campaigns and working for corporations that themselves collect gobs of user data with little awareness themselves.

Like the left werent doing the same thing...

laughable !!!

In our state election i know teams of people created voter profiles. This was based off facebook data among other things.

We are a backwater town. this stuff has been going on for ever, so for it to be going on in the US is really a Duh moment.

Data mining for me, but not for thee

>don’t hold your breath waiting for either Congress or Facebook to take meaningful steps to reign in the rampant use of people’s profile data for political or commercial targeting; or for mainstream media to do a better job of explaining the difference between a “data breach” and the regular everyday abuse of data people have blindly and willingly given up because they’re too lazy to read a so-called “privacy policy”
>mainstream media to do a better job of explaining the difference between a “data breach” and the regular everyday abuse of data people have blindly and willingly given up because they’re too lazy to read a so-called “privacy policy”
>the regular everyday abuse of data people have blindly and willingly given up because they’re too lazy to read a so-called “privacy policy”

Attached: thesuperlativelaugh.jpg (455x675, 113K)

this /story

np.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/85p30j/deletefacebook_movement_gains_steam_after_50/dvz4y6o/

So let me get this straight. Gathering massive amounts of readily available, willingly provided personal information, from a public website, is now illegal? What have they done that's against the law? They used their proprietary technology on public data..... definitely not illegal. Unethical maybe....but not illegal.

>It is actually the British that Hack the election

1776 2.0 when?

Hillary went to Facebook a year before the election to discuss "gender research" with COO Sheryl Sandberg.

Despite having such a close partnership, giving API access to Cambridge Analytica is being portrayed as monumentally worse for Facebook, and they're getting thrown under the bus by the dogs of Open Society for not deleting anyone more conservative than Tim Pool.

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-03-20 at 9.22.12 AM.png (1586x996, 163K)

Checked, and yes, it's another pile of shit from the butthurt brigade, clutching at straws to explain their loss because the truth is too painful.

the difference of course is spreading misinformation and literal fake news using that data.

furthermore, the data was agreed to be given to the professor at Cambridge, not his for-profit consulting/tech firm. it only takes like 60 seconds of reading up on this to understand why this instance is set apart from the usual. dont get me wrong, we should be asking serious questions about how social media data is gathered & used in general, but dont be willfully ignorant.

>misinformation and literal fake news
Oh please, read the article I linked above, this is a classic moral panic

t.drumpfkin

this is the article you show anyone who says this whole thing will be trumps end

>Why are they The Evil Of The Day?
Because the media is Leftist and they helped Trump do what Obama did for the last 8 years, therefore its evil because someone they hate won.

Attached: Media sucks obamas dick over big data.jpg (3500x3500, 3.68M)

bump

Attached: CAmemeball.jpg (659x735, 56K)

Listen what has CEO to say about all of this.
vocaroo com/i/s0aqFTxvFkUQ

Attached: g9ig94.png (202x110, 42K)

It’s admirable to be introspective every now and again but sometimes you have to be reactive and take actions. If not you wind up with people on trial for teaching their pugs tricks.

I'm a former political consultant (stopped after Trump campaign)
This stuff has been going on since 2012. This is exactly what FaceBook is used for too. This is just modern elections in a digital age and there is nothing that Cambridge Analytica did wrong. The Channel 4 exposes nothing illegal - the CEO never said that they would be bribing or hiring prostitutes (those are the words that the Channel 4 person ascribed to it) and if it was against the law in the UK/USA doesn't mean it's against the law in the country that they operate in such as Sri Lanka. And them using a different DBA isn't bad- heck so many clothing and marketing lines have different brand flagships. They did nothing wrong- just a scapegoat. What was stopping these other parties from hiring another competing firm and getting opposition research?

>there is nothing that Cambridge Analytica did wrong.

I know it's legal to use propaganda in the american public but it's still fucked up and the same campaign that elected Trump gave us Nikola Cruz.

Lol nothing stopped them, and they absolutely did that with FusionGPS and a litany of other companies we don't know about.

There are hundreds of companies which do precisely this for both parties and have been for decades. Democrats bragged over how effective the Obama campaign was at it in 2008 and 2012. So yes, they're the Evil Of The Day.

>They've probably been running half this page.

Between Russian bullpens and CA I'm beginning to wonder if I'm the only real person on Sup Forums.

This looks like one of those Glenn Beck blackboard drawings from his days at FOX News.

"Propaganda" only works if you are dumb enough not to realize what's happening to you.
If you realize that those candy bars placed at the checkout are there for impulse decision buying- you tend not to buy them.
And you realize that this marketing stuff is what people want to hear- right? That is why it's effective. Because instead of me getting advertisements on tampons or other shit I don't use I'm getting specifically tailored products/messaging tailored to my preferences and needs.

>we dindu nuffin pol i swear

Propaganda IT'S NOT a consumer product, it's doesn't works like buying beer, it works by social pressure and an options copting.

That's why you never vote third party, because it's "a waste of the vote".

Here's the red pill, this has gone on since 2012, in fact Obama used the exact same """backdoors""" in Facebook in order to harvest data about voters archive.is/kQE2y
When Obama's campaign did it, it was heralded as the future of democracy. Even the social media director for Obama's 2012 campaign acknowledges that they did the exact same thing that CA is being blasted for now . Basically what happens is since forever Facebook has allowed any developer on it's systems to access all the personal information and 'friends' lists of any FB user that uses your app. The app can be a game, a link to a survey, a donation button, a like button, ect ect. Remember all those "Find out where you are on the political spectrum" surveys pimped around here? Those hope you have a FB account so it can match up your identity with your responses, so your info can be put into a campaign dossier and then you will be targeted directly with propaganda.

Here is how it was used in 2012: news.ycombinator.com/item?id=16624791
>It's not an "exploit". This stuff was freely given to Obama back in 2012. My best friend was a canvasser and before going into each house, the iPad they used told canvassers what to talk about and not to talk about. It knew who was pro-life so you wouldn't bring up abortion. It knows who's pregnant and who's recently had an abortion (you can get this through knowing what purchases someone has made and not made). There is a file on everybody, their intricate political and consumer dispositions, and this is Facebook's product. CA has blown up in the news despite being only one of many consumers of the same thing because journalists can make the technically true charge that they are "Trump’s election consultants" and millions are primed to go apeshit at that. But CA is just one of many buying the unethical products, and Facebook is just one of many producers of these data sets.

Attached: Morpheus-Matrix.jpg (1400x700, 73K)

You can always ignore the ads, be above the social pressure, and opt out of those options.
You could always not vote and then they'd waste their resources and money on you.
Just because sheeple fall for tricks doesn't mean the rest of us do.

They don't want your vote, just your implicit compliance, if you don't actively fight against their options they win anyway.

I think its pretty fucked up a foreign company can infiltrate a nation's politics and practically rig elections in the favor of the candidate who bought their services.

See this guy gets it, likely because he's from a country where propaganda was once heavily used to manufacture consent. It's not about you personally being able to resist the propaganda, it's about them creating a society where it would be suicide to do anything except silently be complicit.

San Francisco is like this today. There is enormous peer pressure to censor your speech, and be compliant with marxist doctrine. If our livelihood depended on making money there, we would be totally compliant through silence, not willing to risk the backlash. That is how propaganda works, even if you know it's fake it doesn't matter because the stage is set so you fall into line regardless. Today it's marxist shilling tomorrow it will be some other new turbo totalitarian type ideology.

No, user, you aren't a real person.

illegally harvested data from facebook with an app created by "Aleksandr" Kogan who was a Uni Cambridge student back then (but at the same time was working for Lukoil and St. Petersburg State University).
This app was supposed to only collect data for academic purposes, instead it collected data of not only people who installed it, but also their facebook "friends"

rest can be seen in Channel 4 vids posted already in this thread and also this interview:

youtube.com/watch?v=FXdYSQ6nu-M

or here:
vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/10/16/15657512/cambridge-analytica-christopher-wylie-facebook-trump-russia

FUCKING LIBERALS YOU LOST THE FUCKING ELECTION! ITS BEEN OVER A YEAR NOW! THEIR IS NO SCANDAL EVERY CAMPAIGN COLLECTS DATA WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS LUNACY?

Attached: rageface.jpg (300x168, 16K)

How is using public data such as the Voter Registry or freely given data through FaceBook "rigging" an election. You think when you go to the store and use those Cards to get a 15% discount you're not giving them a free survey on your purchases and demographic profile? It's a Win-Win for everybody bro.
You're getting a discount of 15%, the company finds out what products are more successful to what groups and starts advertising them to you or finding more products you like so you can buy more and be happier with your purchases.
Same thing with these marketing companies. You're who you are already - you have your preferences and likes and dislikes - you've given that data freely with what you Like on FaceBook or whatever data collection thing you've opted into. These companies simply use that to give you messages you want to hear and to help you make the choices for the candidates that you prefer. If you can't see behind the obvious marketing schemes then that's on you. Obviously when you get an advertisement or get suggested likes based on videos on YouTube they are trying to get you to do a certain thing- just don't do that thing, buy that product, or vote for that candidate if you oppose it so much.

The truth is they did nothing wrong, Facebook fell into a Sup Forums trap.

its not illegal, its a facebook feature. 2009 the privacy commissioner of Canada warned this was happening, Wikileaks repeatedly warned this was happening in 2010. It's completely legal because you authorize faceberg to do this when you sign up, and twitter, and snapchat, everywhere.

Glumpf BTFO once again
SAD

Attached: trumppolicies.jpg (660x660, 55K)

Then it's on the citizens to break the conditioning and disagree. Like I said, only sheeple get put in line because of social pressure/stupidity. Be an individual and think critically.

In the US you have a 0.0 percent chance to elect a third party, does that mean the republican or the democrat was always the best option, or just that your people can't see any way to get out of the duopoly?

If all CA did was collect data and give advice to a campaign on what areas to target and with what messages that would be fine, but they are engaging in thuggish tactics that range from spreading fake news to play with the fears and anxieties of voters to allegedly blackmailing candidates (if the BBC report is accurate). I don't know about you, but I think we're heading down a dangerous path if we think we can keep winning elections with fear and manipulation.

So, Faceberg hearing about this ahead of time and selling off his stock is /not/ insider trading?

Better odds than Russia, who has a 0% chance of electing a second party

Shit nigga, let them keep doing this
It's the rope they'll hang themselves with

Wrong, russia had many different government types over the last 200 years, while you only had democrats of republicans, it's a two party dictatorship.

You're a retard that knows nothing about American Politics if you think America only has had Republicans and Democrats throughout its entire history.
Federalists, Whigs, Democratic-Republicans to name a few.

That's all they did in the Trump election and that's what marketing is- fear and manipulation or as they say "hope and fear" are the two main factors. And again, blackmailing and bribing candidates/entrapping candidates is bad but it's not like they invented those things and the onus is on their political opponents to act honorably.

This is what marketing is. This is what political campaigns are. It's unethical sure- but it's the game.

>Idiots voluntarily give personal information to the Facebook botnet.
>Some company takes advantage of this.
>People get triggered

>Federalists, Whigs

Lasted until 1801, if I count correctly that's more than 200 years.

And democratic republicans are just honest duopolians.

They did more than that, they actively spread propaganda that had a sizeable effect in swinging voters towards the GOP. Its fucked up and it should be illegal and honestly I don't think foreign companies should have anything to do with political campaigns. If you want to data collect you should have to finance it and do it yourself.

They did finance and collect it themselves, you are totally misinterpreting what happened here.

Facebook allows anybody on earth to collect this data freely if you are a developer on any of their systems, including WhatsApp, where chats can be harvested and analyzed by sophisticated analytics/AI to determine everything about you in order to sell to some campaign manager in the US. This is exactly what Obama did in 2012, Trump did in 2016, and what Trump will do again in 2020 because there's nothing illegal about it.

They didn't 'spread the propaganda', Trump's campaign manager did using their data analytics to target specific people they knew everything about thanks to the data harvesting. This happens here too, it's how Jewdeau won the last election by hiring these outfits (there's hundreds of them, all leaked in the 2010 Wikileaks Spyfiles release) for the preparation of directed propaganda that benefits his campaign.

Guys the solution is simple let's ban campaigns from gathering any data.

>We're too leet haxxor to have our buttons pushed by frightening videos of third-worlders invading Europe en mass, accompanied by scary music and atmospherics.
lel yeah nobody would have thought that third-worlders invading Europe would be a bad thing unless viewed on a video with the right sort of music.

>furthermore, the data was agreed to be given to the professor at Cambridge, not his for-profit consulting/tech firm.
Who the fuck gives relevant data to some bastard who is known for exactly one thing (using data in his internationally famous for-profit) and then expects him not to do exactly that one thing? Its like handing your playbook to another football coach and being surprised when he uses it to counter your plays next time you meet his team.