Aniplex is working on something new for Fullmetal Alchemist 2003

Aniplex is working on something new for Fullmetal Alchemist 2003.

You didn't hear it from me.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4tEj6gXA_eA
youtube.com/watch?v=c87UfRXNczQ
youtube.com/watch?v=BXQLrkW33f0
youtube.com/watch?v=KNXbTYImQ4E
youtube.com/watch?v=IY2ooUDDVfo
youtube.com/watch?v=xTdcClmFQ40
youtube.com/watch?v=Tg-oV3NoVQ8
youtu.be/brFeaTh73fI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I hope not, 2003 had a near perfect run.

I hope so.
It better be Conqueror of Shamballa turned into its own season.

Are these opinions ironic? I absolutely loved 2003 but it was far from flawless and CoS made the weak ending worse.

As someone who only watched around half of Brotherhood, I'd like to ask: what are the differences between it and 2003?

No my opinion is not.
CoS seriously deserved far more fleshing out than it got. The original unbutchered script would have actually been good.

Completely different story past a certain point.

Bones just made up their own shit when it went past the point where the manga stopped. Brotherhood is a better adaptation of the manga.

2003 is edgier

Brotherhood is literally shounen shit, 2003 is not.

One followed the theme of equivalent exchange while the other was "lol fuck that motto, here's your shit back"

Brotherhood is faster and has tight pacing for a shonen anime, but it lacks a sense of introspection 2003 had: the characters actually felt their loss, it was genuinely greatly directed and scripted, even though the plot took a nosedive at usual BONES hysteric plot points, which made it a bit hard to follow. However, I was a teen when I first watched it, so I don't remember things correctly.

The difference between how the first arc is handled in both and the length of them (almost half of the show versus 10~? episodes) is particularly telling. I'd go back to 2003, but not to Brotherhood.

Energy coming from parallel universes' despair from fascism was weak to you man?

Also, Conqueror of Shamballa was indeed weak, but can we agree that the animation was pretty amazing?

Bluray restoration seems likely, no? Show's 15 years old, and ending was convoluted enough to have nigh zero remaining audience that still remembers it.

Unironically, that would be amazing. The director and Arakawa illegedly wrote a script long enough to be a full 13 cour series on their first draft. The movie was probably so shitty because they gutted so much of the original plot.

>Brotherhood is a better adaptation of the manga.
But 2003 is an overall better anime. Really makes you think.

I didn't like the very end with Ed trapped in fascist land and Al resurrected with amnesia, but the lead-up and your spoiler are perfectly fine. I think I liked it better than the chaos that was Brotherhood's ending. CoS is definitely my bigger complaint, though. I barely remember the animation these days, I should re-watch.

You watched the wrong half of brotherhood.

For all the shittiness of early 2000s anime, not submitting directly to the cold incorporeal nature of digital and trying to imitate cell wasn't one of them.

However, how bad would a restoration look like?

I probably haven't seen the ending of the 2003 anime since I was a teenager, probably around 2006, but I still remember very clearly what happened to Ed and Al, not only in Shamballa but also in the series finale, which I choose to consider the true ending to the series (it's more poignent and less retarded that way). However, I read the manga as it was being published and I watched Brotherhood as it was airing, meaning I experienced that ending twice. And I still don't remember what the fuck was going on.

roughly around where Ed and Al meet greed, 2003 goes off to do its own thing.
In 2003, Homonculus are the result of trying to use human transmutation to bring back the dead. In Brotherhood, Homonculus are (majority artificial) beings who have been bonded to philosophers stones
in 2003, the big bad is Ed's dad's ex gf who uses human transmutation to cheat death, and just wants to keep doing that forever. Ed and Al only stop her because she wants to bodyswap to that brown chick from the first arc as her next host body.
in Brotherhood, the big bad is the original homonculus, who sacrificed a whole kingdom to turn himself and Ed's dad into living philosopher's stones. His plan is to do the same ritual again but using all of amestris and become a god of alchemy, second to none, not even the 'god of truth' behind the gate.
2003 ends with ed stranded in a parallel world as payment for getting Al his body back, followed by the movie which ends with both Ed and Al living together in that world. Brotherhood ends with Al sacrificing himself to give Ed his arm and leg back, and Ed sacrificing his very ability to perform alchemy to save al and get him back in his body.
also some of the homunculi are different, 2003 sloth is completelty different to brotherhood sloth, wrath is pride, etc

brotherhood puts way more emphasis on politics and ideological differences than 2003.

An upscale would probably look pretty shitty, but it would probably still look better than any DVD rips currently floating around.

equivalent exchange was always meant to be an overly cynical in-universe meme that fascists and dictators used to justify the most heinousness of crimes against humanity, on the justification that the pay-off was mathematically worth it, culminating in literally the entire population being sacrificed 'for the greater good'

>It was my first anime so its better than the manga

I dunno, I just remember that the catalyzer of something (the philosopher's stone?) was in the back of the assistant of Roy for some reason and everyone got into a hugeass fight in the capital because the homunculi were inside the goverment. Also something about Ed's father spreading shit across the land for some reason. Am I close?

Your point is pretty solid though. Even if it was insane, 2003 developed its themes beautifully.

I call bullshit, the colonial relationships were way better implemented in 2003, explicitly in giving the cross faced man a meaningful arc. Brotherhood just had a lot more of "playgrounds".

>Brotherhood just had a lot more of "playgrounds".
I'll concede my bias here. that's what I prefer.

Michiru Oshima's best work by far.

youtube.com/watch?v=4tEj6gXA_eA
youtube.com/watch?v=c87UfRXNczQ
youtube.com/watch?v=BXQLrkW33f0

what was on her back was the alchemical formula for flame alchemy, which is OP as fuck, but Roy burned the tattoos away after he learned it so that nobody else could wield it after he dies. it wasn't actually a mcguffin anyone was fighting over since only roy and his assistant even knew what used to be on her back.

Ed's dad was planting philosopher's stones around the country to create a counter-sigil that could nullify the ginormous alchemists circle the big bad was having sloth dig and having the amestris government commit slaughter on key points where said circles lines intersected.

2003 is edgy garbage. Already forgotten.

>t. shounenfag dicksucker

t.nostalgic edgelord

Fullmetal alchemist is over. Let that shit die. It doesn't deserve anything else, that would be like trying to add more Cowboy Bebop episodes. Don't they see how shitty Dragonball Super is? Just let it go and do something original.

Agreed.
She really is a modern day Beethoven of our time and isn't appreciated nearly as much as she should be in my opinion.
youtube.com/watch?v=KNXbTYImQ4E
youtube.com/watch?v=IY2ooUDDVfo
youtube.com/watch?v=xTdcClmFQ40
youtube.com/watch?v=Tg-oV3NoVQ8
So many great examples of her talent, but yeah, Fullmetal Alchemist OST was really up there at the top alongside a few other of her works.

Nakamura makes 2003 better than Brotherhood for me.

He seems to be in Brotherhood too though

Me on the right.

Brotherhood made me distance myself from this franchise. I couldn't deal with all the newfag normalfags it brought.

>Muh sekrit club

I liked 2003 when it came out but Brotherhood is just better

FMA is literally what got me into anime like 12 years ago.

I can rewrite an episode by episode review of FMA 03, except for maybe where a few episodes like the Black Hayate episode and the Major's little sister. But I couldn't for the life of me piece back together my memories of Brotherhood past volume 8. The story is so disjointed and all over the place. FMA varies the whole spectrum from most memorable anime to the least depending on which one you've watched. Amazing really.

It would be nice to see Al's time alone fleshed out a little bit more.
I got the feeling that he far surpassed his brother Ed in alchemy.

FMA Brotherhood is a prime example of following the manga =/= better. But for some reason this is the main argument the remakefags bring to the table whenever adaptation wars break out.

God this scene fucked me up so much back then.

Brotherhood is shit where the heroes run away from every combat.

I'd argue 2003 fans are the more moral contingent. The anime teaches you about the universe's cruel but just process that should be respected and not attempted to meddle with because doing so begets innate problems. The Homunculus, just for instance, being personifications of a gifted defying taboos to act in their own interests, and creating monsters that want the same. It also serves an allegorical tangent that pursuing happiness and truth is not a sin if the laws are upheld, and holding unto faith in them is rewarded ala the story of Job. "Though He slay me, though He bruise me in mine own selfish or unseen ways; yet will I trust Him day by day."

Brotherhood on the other hand has no moral subtext. It's just a magic action romp that appeals to the proud rather than humble-hearted. It offers no edification to the characters or audience other than that your inborn self-will alone is sufficient to absolve your karma. It subverts any role to the All is One by having the protagonists act basically in the same fashion as what gave the story impetus in the first place. They learn nothing except that all you can count on is the circumstances already in play align with your desires, and not try to find any higher meaning in the Universe because you'll touch the sun and die like Icarus.

Same goes for HxH 2011

Anyone can copy and paste manga panels, it takes real talent to be given a concept and go that extra step further to make it your own.

Reminder that FMA 2k3 writer also wrote this classic.

>watch HxH 2011 immediately after finishing the original
>why the fuck is everything so bright?

oh yeah it's modern shounen anime, oversaturation is necessary for the ADHD ridden kids of today.

Can't tell but for some reason Brotherhood is liked by teenagers and kids while 2003 is liked by grown men.

2003 had the better Hohenheim design. No idea why they flattened his face so much in Brotherhood.

The directors are hacks

If you're referring to Brotherhood, the problem is first with the manga. But given the way they handled the first episode and first half you also aren't wrong either. I know it's a horrible idea, but the best thing as a director would have been to do some kind of flashback like the English version of DBGT before the Lost Episodes was brought over. Fast-forward through the crucial parts and differences from 2003 and then move on. However, like I implied, nothing can redeem the source material.

Something that always stuck with me for 2003 was how grim it all felt. There was never a point in the show where I thought the protags had shit under control and would have a positive outcome. It was just despair and dread waiting for whatever nightmare ending to happen. Brotherhood is very upbeat and even at its darkest it was still pretty positive.

>Brotherhood is literally shounen shit
In what way?

>Not brotherhood

Fuck this shit.

He must be an excellent writer then.

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

>It was just despair and dread waiting for whatever nightmare ending to happen.

That can get pretty trying. There should be a balance between the light-hearted moments, it makes the grim scenes hit harder.

Nah there shouldn't. If you want light-hearted watched One Piece.

An exhausted protagonist gritting his way through trials can be compelling when implemented well, and 03 did have its lighthearted scenes. It was overall very grim and I can agree that can be trying at times, but actually Brotherhood's comedy was too flagrant and garish for me; it went too far to the other end of the spectrum. Full wackiness doesn't jive well with how much of the story would realistically impact emotional atmosphere. Scenes like that were too jarring and thus off-putting, for me.
The sweet spot is hard to find, I think. Or at least hard to implement.

But in that picture the left side looks more interesting. The thing that 2003 did better was Huges and the other first arcs with Nina and that priest that had the stone.

Another game maybe.
Don't bother us with such trivial news.

>flattened his face
Eh? But his facial features are more pronounced in those pictures from brotherhood you posted, except in the last one with young Hohenheim.

Maybe flattened was the wrong word but him and Scar have such wide faces in Brotherhood that just look off when compared to 2003's proportions.

Not that guy, but I know what you mean. I think every anime should be super serious but have like two episodes devoted to humor which contribute to the plot. Outlaw Star did this well with the psychic cactus and the hot springs episodes. And like I said mentioned above the haunted warehouse/Black Hayate and Armstrong's sister episodes also did this well for 2003. Although serious anime can still have funny moments in the middle of serious situations, it's very rare and circumstantial. Like Eureka Seven, when Stoner is in his room packing his things while the Gekko takes off on its most dangerous mission.

The manga's the best FMA thing out there. Just read that unless you're an ADHD fuck who needs noises and moving pictures to be engaged in something. The pacing is perfect, the comedic bits are tucked into small panels in the corners rather than taking up a whole screen for seconds, and the art is superior. In addition to that, the paneling in FMA is something a lot of people don't really take notice on. Especially around the Ishval Flashback, Arakawa's whole page layout somehow becomes way more clean, yet more dynamic at the same time. Shame it didn't carry one to Silver Spoon, but that's not really an action series, so whatever.

But yeah, 03 was a better produced series, that tells a worse overall story, whilst Brotherhood is a flawed adaptation, whose rigidity to following the manga 1/1 makes for a rather boring visual direction, save for a couple highlights, and botched pacing to catch up to the coveted "simultaneous ending".

What Ishval flashback?

That's silly. Any drama worth it's salt knows how to balance the lighter moments unless it'll be unwatchable. Why the hell do you think Puck was introduced in Berserk?

>Brotherhood's comedy was too flagrant and garish for me; it went too far to the other end of the spectrum.
I hated those scenes so much. It was so repetitive and one note.

2003 is edgy fan fiction
Brotherhood is the perfect anime

(You)

I think people just wanted the series to stay edgy like 2003 was.

i think that both versions are worth watching, i don't understand the hate.

They both followed it, except where the Philosopher's Stone was concerned. Even though Ed got a trade back in the manga he still had to give something up.

Equivalent exchange is a lie

But it's true. Maybe not so much 2003 bashing though

The writer really liked Peter Pan and Legend.

2003 had better OPs.

youtu.be/brFeaTh73fI

No doubt

It was backwards, the 99 HxH is darker fo no reason.

2003 nostalgia fags like to defend the "mature shit for mature people like me" just like 99 hxh fags do.

2003 is just better. That's the difference.

The first one i watched was a 2003version. Then after many years ive seen brotherhood. Around year ago i rewatched 2003 and i can say that i like 03 more. BH is just a generic shounen for me. Ofcourse its really good type of shounen but for me it's missing the atmosphere of 2003. I really like the idea of homonculi being a byproduct of human transmutation. For me both are really good series but i just prefer 03more.

>Can no longer use alchemy.
Wow what a sacrifice. Totally equal to the life of his brother. No equivalent exchange was thrown out the window in Brotherhood

>>Can no longer use alchemy.
>Wow what a sacrifice.
isn't alchemy the basis for their society and those who couldn't resulted in thirdworld countries like the ishbalans?

>you can now re-experience that shitshow in BD quality

Can't wait for all these shattered nostalgia goggles

>you can't match the value of human soul so you can't ressurect people
>you can't match the value of human soul so philosopher stones are powerful, but ultimately flawed super-batteries
>you can't match the value of human soul, so a homunculus with all the world's knowledge but no soul is ultimately hollow
>"hurr it was about equivalent exchange"

Are all 2003fags this retarded?

>can no longer use his biggest strength and source of pride, the thing he commited his whole life to

Wow, yeah, what a triviality

>lose an argument
>s-s-stop posting, meanies

Pathetic.

What argument? It's pretty clear you're making a false equivalence.

Heheh. Get it? Just like Brotherhood's ending.

>Al is lost body as a result of an alchemical transgression
>to get Al back, Ed gives up the ability to ever commit said transgression again
>false equivalence

>To bring a human back to life, can never abracadabra again
Wow, how will he ever survive?

I prefer the manga's story to the 2003 anime's filler and on the rails second half, but greatly preferred the tone, pacing, and art direction of the 2003 FMA to Brotherhood.

I wish there was a culmination of the two.

alchemy has the potential to make him immortal

*off the rails second half

It's literally turning the equation around, how dense are you.

Losing Al and his leg was the price for seeing the truth beyond the gate. By giving said gate up, he can get the other side of the equation back.

Equivalent. Of the same value. If he couldn't do that, that would be explicitly admitting that the exchange from the beginning of the series WASN'T equivalent.
Fuck.

Nobody would want that.

But in Brotherhood they explained alchemy uses the earth's natural forces. So no matter what he can still learn Alkahestry. They can't permanently take away his abilities. Unless of course, we're talking retcon now. Then that would be the most bullshit ending in a whole other caliber.

We are... not talking retcon are we?