Why are modern character designs so shit?

Why are modern character designs so shit?

Why is anime so gay now?

VNs suffer the same fate.

Pic related.

You were saying?

Japan went from flying gas-fueled planes into warships to sitting in their bedroom watching mass-produced idol anime in 2 generations. The soyboy phenomenon is real.

Honestly this sounds like bullshit considering the astronomical amount of god-tier artists you can find on the internet alone
Many people draw pieces for free to hang on their instagram wall that would have been put on display in museums had they been produced 50 years ago

Everything on the right is better

>astronomical amount of god-tier artists you can find on the internet
lel

they reflect the femininity and lack of individuality of the modern Japanese man

Pretty sure it has nothing to do with soy considering Japanese people have been consuming soy for thousands of years.

>left
>MC's from the 70's, 80's and 90's
>literally a 30 year period

>right
>only MC's from 10's
>a 7 years period

This comparison is dishonest as fuck. Every decade has its trends and patterns. There was a time when all MC's were Kenshiro or Golgo rip offs.

When it was decided MCs should be beta soy boys rather than respectable alphas

Male MC's all look the same for some reason, Mostly because they all choose the hairstyle where they need a middle spike between the eyebrows.

I don't know why this trend has picked up because it's fucking stupid.

both are shit honestly. Bricks who punch and bricks who cry like bitches and do nothing, they've both still got about as much personality as a fucking block of industrial cement. Nota single realisgic human being on the entire chart.

Blame light novel adaptations!
LNs are killing anime.

Is that flaming homosexual supposed to be Ippo or have I missed something

Also the black/dark brown hair to look "ordinary" many of them with blue eyes combination.

Modern MCs have to look as normal and bland and boring as possible so the audience (consisting of normal, bland boring people) can self-insert better.

t. retard

>characters must be realistic to be good
Trust an idiotic ESL to believe this

>every decade has its trends
>lists 3 different decades and cries unfair
Quite the moron you are, eh?

>There was a time when all MC's were Kenshiro or Golgo rip offs.
If you weren't retarded, you'd realize the OP is suggesting that's a good thing, and a lot of people agree with that notion.

>characters must be realistic to be good
but this is correct

Sorry, idiots like yourself don't dictate what's good and what isn't.

Normally I'd choose right but the changes in hairstyles are terrible. Like what the fuck happened to the third guy in second column? And every character's face changed in such a way that they don't resemble the old designs.

t. proud cuck

you can think of the most advanced and surreal world ever, but the characters within have to be believable, in accordance to humans who would be put in such a world. Otherwise - what the fuck is the point

e.g. original GitS vs GitS SAC, the former is a masterpiece, the latter is trash, even though both feature the same characters and world, but it's in the details of the characters, what they do and how they do it, and that leaves a grand canyon sized gap between them.

Because you compare the best, most influential character designs with the shittiest, most generic ones?

The ones on the left are the ones that stood the test of times. No one will remember the faggots on the right.
If you added all the shitty generic 80s-90s characters on the left that would be fairer

We will never have as good quality as GitS or Hokuto no Ken in modern anime.
Fukumoto anime does not count though.

No. Characters must be distinct from each other to be good.

Even if that means having weird body types or spikey hair in unnatural colours. That's what animu is all about.

Get some reading comprehension skills.

This is an unfair comparison because you can't nitpick anime from 3 different decades and compare them with recent anime from half a decade. It's dishonest, because if you dig into one specific year in anime and watch most ofr the shows you will find MCs as generic and bland as these from right but they're muscular, or pilot giant robots now.

>OP is suggesting that's a good thing
What OP image is suggesting is a lack of variety in modern anime MC, and what i'm saying is that this isn't a problem of modern anime only and it's just a trend. But if you're okay with bland and generic MCs as long as they're muscular and badasses you just gay

You're only further reinforcing your stupidity here.

>Hokuto no Ken
>good quality

Behaving realistically yes is good. Realistic visual design doesn't necessarily equate to good, however.

Kamijou Touma's single spike hair is worth all left combined.

>You
>Not autisic
HnK had great quality after Shin's arc and during Raoh arc

>dumb esl being this dumb
What a shock.

>because if you dig into one specific year in anime and watch most ofr the shows you will find MCs as generic and bland as these from right but they're muscular, or pilot giant robots now.
Guess what? That's a good thing. Again, since you're a braindead ESL, it just didn't occur to you that people prefer their MCs to be men, not boys.

>What OP image is suggesting is a lack of variety in modern anime MC
Based on what? Your impression?
How about the guys on the left are alpha and the guys on the right are skinny faggots? Too difficult to figure that one out Pablo?

It's even worse when you actually know the characters personalities. The guy in the yellow outfit is meant to be a sarcastic wise cracker, which his original design complemented perfectly.

In terms of protagonists, I think they've gone to shit because self-insertion has become a more popular thing. Now we're getting limp-wristed dudes with no threatening feature on them.

If that's the case i wonder why we still get asshole flawed MCs like Kazuma but still designed to look like the self insert template.

>left includes female characters and right doesn't

Of course there will always be some variation, but the majority of these protagonists have:
>hobbies usually limited to anime and vidya
>NEETs or some type of shut-in
>are reluctant to kill or are terrified of killing when forced into a life-death situation
>above-average intelligence but below-average social skills
Most of these things accurately describe the average anime fan today, and unlike their real lives, these protagonists almost always have a cute girl be madly in love with them, and sometimes a full-blown harem.

Fans don't want to aspire to get /fit/ like Goku as many fans did before, they want to live through a character who is similar to them - these characters become successful with women and life in general, that's what they are looking for.

visual novels are all trash so it's really no surprise that it's only gotten worse

It's really boring arguing with blatant falsehood. Can't you at least find real things protags all share?

But the the characters in SAC are much more realistic. In the movie they're just exposition spouting dolls.

We will have Female lead MC's as the next trend for anime since females buying more anime than Otaku.

>protags all share
If you couldn't tell, I was talking about modern protags. And not characters like Naruto or Luffy, those characters were created in the late 90s. I'm talking characters who were thought up in the last 10 years.

Too many fit these categories for me to just ignore them.

What's the series from the 00s?

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

It's a Gundam manga

Yep brown/black with a spike pointing down is all we get.

Wouldn't surprise me honestly. The only thing the old anime has over modern anime is probably character designs.

This should be the only reply in the thread. If you think it's anything else it only goes to show how naive you are.

>The only thing the old anime has over modern anime is probably character designs.
>lelouch
You really are a shitter arent you?

>Modern MCs have to look as normal and bland and boring as possible so the audience (consisting of normal, bland boring people) can self-insert better.
Bullshit. We dont watch JoJo because we are fabulous 7ft tall square jewed muscular totally straight chads.

>square jewed

>We dont watch JoJo because we are fabulous 7ft tall square jewed muscular totally straight chads.
Speak for yourself mineral-let

Can't wait for Female GAR MC's like Moms and Mature women having prominent roles in anime

Of course, comparing three decades' worth to less than a decade's worth of TV series is going to show such results. I mean, it's a bullshit comparison.

I'm more than sure that had you you done a fair comparison of the time periods (e.g. The same 7-8 year chunk from the 80ies, for instance), you would see very similar character designs across the board there as well.

But we do watch comfy SoLs because we're little girls, r-right?

I take it that you don't play them. If you did, you'd know that while a decent chunk of them are simplistic and most of the Western-produced ones are ass on shit buttered toast, there are some damn incredible experiences out there.

You know, just like every other industry. That said, if you don't partake, you will likely not even notice. Just how there is only one Maid Dragon for every thousand Anne Happys or Asterisk Wars, yet we don't seem to focus on the latter and instead spend endless time talking about the good.

Of course.

>Realistic visual design doesn't necessarily equate to good, however.

This, the whole point of anime is that you can have characters that doesn't have real life counterpart.

By "realistic characters", most people tend to mean rslistic personality traits, motivation and reasoning. Not body types, you autistic fuck. Things that a decent piece of fiction cannot exist without.

Lurk more.

no

Back then we were stupid kids that wanted to be cool men.
Now we are stupid men that want to be cool kids.

On top of that, you have on the left:
>sport anime
>medieval fantasy
>dark-fantasy
>cyberpunk
>sci-fi
>comedy
>detective/criminal
>more and more
No wonder they are this more variety among then than in right:
>SoL Highschool Romcom

Just like politics amirite

Very much true.

This is very much true.

What's so cool about being raped and cucked?

Not to mention, he's comparing some three decades' worth of a variety of anime on the left to...maybe, 5-7 years' worth of a single genre on the right.

As we say back in my home country, "yeah. No shit".

Don't tell me you haven't fantasized about it as a teen. Just imagine the sympathy. As you grow older it becomes more shameful.

But modern designs are clearly superior. Everything before 2005 is ugly as fuck.

Main reason why now-a-days I stick to CGDCT and occasional manime is how generic all modern male MCs look like. It's hard to believe pretty girls would be all over these default bland guys.

>JoJo
>Totally straight
Also above part 3 characters are just chad in their spirit, not in their bodies

>Boom Boom family
You... I like you

Hey OP, I wanna fuck you up.

>I'm more than sure that had you you done a fair comparison of the time periods (e.g. The same 7-8 year chunk from the 80ies, for instance), you would see very similar character designs across the board there as well.
Except you wouldn't, idiot. If you bothered to watch more than 10 anime, you would fine far less anime was being produced through those decades compared to now, and even then, any small period from that era would've had a far higher volume of alphas compared to any year today.

Literally a shitter version of pic related, not that an underager like yourself would know.

>Cel vs Digital.
Yeah, Cel is better by far.

Bobobo was unfunny ugly garbage.

Actually that is not true, you have Iseka Fantasy and Mecha stuff on the right as well ( SAO, Re:Zero and Aldnoah Zero), and those are just the ones I recognize.

Character art simplification is pretty noticeable, whether or not there is more variety is debateable, but there has been a move towards a more bland look in terms of design and color palettes. There has been a conscious trend towards simplifying artwork so to make it possible to have more animation fluidity, IMO that would be justified if modern anime all looked like Akira ( which has simpler character designs than say Mikimoto or Hirano ones), but it just comes off as more boring because they don't do that much special with the animation. Also, AI Pictures is shit and a lot of the bland garbage is coming from them, they produce a lot of anime every year, nuke their building and things would be a lot better for character design.

They all look the same. Whiny little shit-children

Also, Motoko is more masculine than all those pussies combined.

Cel is better, but that alone does'nt really determine design. You could make the same design digitally, it would be the textures and the colors that would be inferior there.

It's the same shit it just depends on the genre.

Bait, but I answer with pic related.
That's from 2001...

dude, Eren is better than most protagonist in the left

shi katana nai

Underage idiots opinions dont count

That's one way of admitting you're a teenager.

are you really calling someone underage for not liking a show that still got airtime less than 10 years ago?

That's one way of admitting you haven't read the manga