Pre 2000's Anime Thread

Watching any classics recently Sup Forums?

Im having fun with Urusei Yatsura

Other urls found in this thread:

natalie.mu/comic/news/256972
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Not recently. I love Utena, though. I'd probably put it as my favorite anime.

Bakuretsu Hunters was okay.

I'm watching Saber Marionette J, Dat Satoru Akahori greatness.

I rewatched Lain last week. Still don't really get it

I assumed that the slapping in zeta was an overplayed meme but God damn the first 10 episodes are a bitchslaping simulator

Zeni is cute

Recently checked out Towards the Terra, which was one of the most gorgeous movies I've ever seen(damn good character animation especially, very impressive stuff), but with some pretty bad pacing and directing choices at times. I also watched Prefectural Earth Defense Force and Call Me Tonight, which were both hilarious, and I finished Dirty Pair TV, which was so much fun. I also watched Dragon Half, which I was'nt a fan of - the "lolrandumb" fantasy stuff just never does it for me. But the best thing I've watched recently is the two Ariel OVAS, which had amazingly strong directing and soundtracks, which made the faux drama all the more hilarious, and really, a giant mecha who is also a floofy haired 80s anime babe in a leotard is too much my conceptual niche for me not to be in love with it, even if the animation and art was a bit lackluster at times.

Right now I'm starting up the original Yamato and Devil Hunter Yohko.

After the suffering Maison Ikkoku put me through I'm a little wary of trying anything else Takahashi has done.

>Im having fun with Urusei Yatsura

It aired 2000 but fuck it. I recently watched Argento Soma. I remember completely writing it off as an eva clone back in the day.

I thought it was amazing. Had this melancholy feel to it, mixed with great music, some philosophy and great exposition. Shame I never seen anyone ever mention the series it's definitely underrated

>Key frames only the dance

rip madoka hikaru was better anyway

>suffering
Did Godai and Manager san being retards on the last part of the series make you angry user

Just watched Ninja Scroll once again after playing Nioh made me want to. Other than Genma being a total fucking pushover it's easily one of my faves. The ultra violence is spaced out enough that it doesn't sour the experience.

Something about god

bump

how do you feel about bright slaps?

Wew, hardly.

Zeta starts rough, but I think it's the pinnacle of Gundam.

I wish there was more

I got genocyber but haven't gotten around to it yet.
Good luck finishing urusei, I got like 50 episodes in before burning out and losing my spot.

I am not watching anime but I have been reading a lot f Ozamu Tezuka works, right now I am checking Black Jack, pretty cool to be onest.

Been trying to motivate myself to rewatch Dirty Pair.

I plan to watch Black Jack soon too. Pinoko looks like a cutie.

Pinoko is one of the most irritating characters I've ever seen. I've only watched the OVAs and movie but Pinoko actively made every scene she was in worse.

What was irritating about her? She just looks like a cute little girl.

She's an 18 year old living tumor with a cunty voice and the vocabulary of a 5 year old. 90% of the time she's irrelevant to the plot and just tagging along for comedic relief except she has never done something funny in her life.

I've been watching through the entirety of gundam. Currently watching wing as a break from the universal century

Im gonna give you some advise. Don't binge watch. Trying to watch more than 2 episodes at a time you start to realize just what insufferable cunts the Lovely Angels really are.

Every episode is BICKER BICKER COCK COCK!

Don't

Thats not how I remembered it, but then again its been over a decade since i watched it.

Elaborate

I ended up watching about one a week. Spacing it out that much ensures you don't get sick of it and that much time suits the show.

Dirty Pair is complete garbage

natalie.mu/comic/news/256972

The Utena exhibition looks quite fancy.

Although it's right on the edge of the pre-2000s category, I recently started watching Ojamajo Doremi and it's fucking fantastic, for real. Not every episode is individually great but there's something about it that just sweeps you up into its fun atmosphere. As a result I've watched more of it in the past few days than I have of any other anime in the past month entirely.

Anyone who's looking for a solid character development focused slice of life should check it out, regardless of whether you're really into magical girls or not.

Poor Lum, she could be living her dream love story with a decent boyfriend.
Instead she's stuck with Ataru.

>but then again its been over a decade since i watched it.

I just did a watch through recently. They're constantly cat fighting or going about how much they want to get the D. Some of the OVAs and specials are generally better because they do more but the TV while not without some good parts is really hard to sit through in bulk.

I downloaded all the Urusei Yatsura movies/OVAs/show and I'm feeling quite overwhelmed. How do I attack this?

there was a Kickstarter for Wonder 3 and several other tezuka titles to be translated

sadly they wont come out for quite a while. Wish I could read them now. Ive been itching for tezuka for a while

I notice that actually helps a lot for a lot of shows from this era. Especially the more episodic stuff.

> luring people into okay '90s fantasy with rare eyecatch

How shameful.

Just watch the show for now

1st movie has characters that are all introduced in the 1st season. 2nd movie has certain characters introduced in the 2nd season.

You should be set after that.

You might have picked this up because of me.

Well, that's how they're meant to be watched. Binge watching CCS was a slog

I preferred the dub

Oh, I realize that and Im more than willing to accept my own blame in this regard. I just feel it should be mentioned for anyone going in who may be preparing to watch a bunch of episodes at once which is kind of the norm these days.

Doremi is amazing and everyone should watch it at some point.

Its started in 1999 so it counts

Yeah, I'm watching CCS at the moment and I've hit a wall about 20 episodes in. I enjoy it, but every episode being "Sakura is the perfect daughter being cute with Tomoyo and sometimes there isn't even a card to capture" make it clear that if you try and smash out a load of episodes at once you're gonna burn out real fast.

Argento Soma is a proud father of many mecha series of last 15 years.

I didn't watch the dub but the OVAs were so much funnier than the main series.

Well I guess the OVA where closer to the Manga version. Which is why there where all the tits and stuff

It gets worse with each episode. The first was great, second and third were good, fourth was okay, and it's downhill from there. Kagato and Mihoshi were a mistake.

I just rewatched this a few weeks ago and liked it. I don't remember anything from the series after the first OVAs, though.

If you don't like that boy howdy are you gonna hate what comes next. That's considered the good part.

Dela best girl, my musical jewish wife

Oh boy. OVA 1 is the best the series has to offer. If you don't like it then I'd advise you to drop it right now.

>I don't remember anything from the series after the first OVAs, though.

After OVA 1 it's where the focus shifts from Tenchi and the girls to the writer wanking all over his universe and nothing but extended family trees. Oh and Tokimi shows up. I guess.

Gonna be honest I always preferred Tenchi Universe. Less Power Level bullshit and even when you count the filler shit happens.

It's been a very long time since I've last watched it. I only remembered that Ryoko was the best girl and the Tenchi/Ryoko/Ayeka triangle was fun. Mihoshi literally does nothing to the setting or plot, and Kagato is there only to turn a fun anime into a boring fighting shounen that isn't even done well. Slayers were so, so much better in this regard. I wish Tenchi Muyo stayed with romance comedy only.

I also never watched any other Tenchi anime besides the first OVA.

You might want to give the manga a shot then. It actually manages to balance the wacky fun harem comedy antics and the cool space adventure stuff better than most of the anime does.

Let it be known far and wide that Ryoko is the best.

Personally I like Ayeka

Did you ever watch El-Hazard? It was by one of the Tenchi creators that split off after OVA 1 because he wanted to give Tenchi some actual direction to the show. Far better, honestly.

El Hazard is great.

Does Digimon Adventure count?

good taste

>Premiered: Spring 1999
what do you think?

I don't know you tell me

Such a shame how literally everything other than OVA 1 is awful though.

Why aren't modern anime able to pull off the sci fi vibes they had in the 80's and 90's anymore? You have all these classic shows with cyberpunk art styles, futuristic designs and those "lost paradise" type of worlds, and now all we get are aseptic white enviroments and CGI mechas.

The VHS future was so much cooler and interesting, I wish that art design came back.

I thought the TV series was okay if a bit goofier. And even at it's worst Jinnai is always a delight to behold

I liked (most) the Universe filler. Kiyone and Mihoshi shopping for groceries was comfy.

idk bad art direction i guess? or digital art just doesnt work well with the old stuff.

>Why aren't modern anime able to pull off the sci fi vibes they had in the 80's and 90's anymore?

What are you serious? Because most of those shows where made in an economic high point and where, quite frankly, just ripping off whatever was popular in Hollywood at the time.

More to the point they where still just a select minority that where brought over because they matched western tastes while the bulk of shows where basically the same crap we have now.

Look I miss the 80s and 90s to but every time you ask a question like this you're just showing off what an idiot you are.

Oversaturation. There are fucking hundreds of shows like that pre-2000, people just don't want more of it. Now it will be CG garbage.

Well that's kind of the thing. In Universe filler even if an episode didn't really contribute to the MAIN plot the episodes plot still found Tenchi in the gang in an amusing or wacky situation.

An Universe filler will have Washu turning a fair exhibit into a portal to hell, or a galactic bikini contest or the gang turns their ship into a hostess club. What happens in OVA land? Everyone farts around the house till someone's 2nd cousing twice removed great grand father's podiatrist who is also their sister shows up and does nothing.

can't beat GTO mate

>Now it will be CG garbage.

CG can be pretty decent to good. It's just a matter of how much effort the creators want to put into it. And don't go around pretending OLD anime all looked fantastic. There was plenty of bad animation long before CG and there's gonna be plenty of bad animation long after it.

Started G gundam. Honestly I don't know what to think about it yet. It's different and it's fine but the setting looks so weird.

I think that UY is the best Rumiko work (although I love most of her other works).
She does tend to take things very, very slowly.
I've been reading Astro boy finally after reading all of his other major works, black jack is nice but a little drawn out.
She's just there to calm Tezuka pedophile nature.
I think you can watch all the movies after episode 100 (except of course the final, movie 5 I think) but honestly I watched them all after I finished the series which is also ok. Have fun with that one.

Jinna was always solid, but I loved Ifurita the most and they butchered her in the TV series. Detractors of Tenchi Universe have no right to complain about flanderization until they've seen the El-Hazard equivalent.

I get you, I'm not one that blindly hates CG. I liked Regalia for example and I don't really mind CG, but when it's pretty much shovelware it makes it hard to stomach. I dropped Buranki? whatever that anime was last year because it was just too much.

I got a habbit of watching good old anime movies with my bong.
>Neo tokio
>Memories
>Robot Carnival
Thats quite an experience

They didn't butcher her they just made her a different character. She was the most extreme change sure but she wasn't trying to be the original and the OVA didn't get retconned or go away.

And I liked the change from angst bot to goofball. She was actually a funny character and it was a nice shift to see her NOT join the good team and actually form a relationship with Jinnai

Etotama had some good CG and while it took them a while to click with the choreography Majestic Prince was a blast

why did he pretend 14 year olds arent sexy?

I watched the second movie back on Sci-Fi channel in the mid-90s before I'd seen any of the series. At least I'm pretty sure that's where I first saw it. It definitely could have been enhanced by having context, but watching it standalone it was entertaining anyway as long as you could get past the weirdness.

For additional weirdness, I rented Lum the Forever from a local Blockbuster or Hollywood at the time. I'm not entirely sure even context would help that one make sense.

>aren't
What? Didn't he? I'm pretty sure in the first episodes he literally said he wanted to see cute high school girls and commented on aho titty girl a bunch of times. Been years since I rewatched it though.

Started back on Capt. Taylor earlier this week after a break from feeling burned out. Saber Marionette J is next on the back log after that.

watching saint seiya,just started the gold saint arc so it's finally getting somewhat interesting but honestly still don't think that highly of anime so far (or the arc desu),think I might might just drop it at the end of the arc.

Also 18 episodes into Ojamajo Doremi and still just alright/fine,still not attached to the characters I like them somewhat but to a great extent.

I honestly never got the appeal of Seiya.

It's the cute boys, you have to be gay to understand.

I'm starting this once the new years starts,heard some mixed thing about it.

1. It's the greatest romance anime of all time.
2. Endless misunderstandings and a horrible cast of side characters that are all assholes and get no characters development.

Maybe cause I'm a pessimist,I'm almost certain two is true,but even still going to have to work through it.

I look at a lot of Takashi animes and see the episode count and just nope out.

Still working through Yamato, Getter Robo and Lupin.
Yamato has quickly become one of my favorite shows. The directing and key framing is amazing.
Also, I know it came out after 2000, but the sequel to the original Mahoujin Guruguru isn't nearly as good as the first season was. They also randomly retconned a bunch of stuff. It's still pretty good, but not in the level of the 90's series.

200 episodes isn't even that long, you fucking casual. Just watch one or two a day.

It is when everyone episode is the same tired will they won't they misunderstanding.

I didn't watch all the Maison Ikkoku anime episodes, but I did read the complete manga. It kept mixing in new elements to keep things relatively fresh.

That said, the pacing for some of those anime episodes could get noticeably slower than the print version.

Who cares? That's the set up. It's not meant to be some serious drama. Enjoy the comfiness. This is one of those meme complaints I see on here a lot, but it's really a good thing a lot of the time. If Ataru confessed to Lum, Urusei Yatsura would have been ruined. It's putting that moment off continually that keeps the show and characters engaging. Same for Maison Ikkoku.