Yu Yu Hakusho's second season is the best arc of any Shonen anime ever. Prove me wrong. Protip: you can't

Yu Yu Hakusho's second season is the best arc of any Shonen anime ever. Prove me wrong. Protip: you can't

Other urls found in this thread:

webtoons.com/en/challenge/keit-ai/list?title_no=36825
fictionpress.com/s/3206139/1/Keit-AI-Tomoyuki-x-Seiko-Keit愛-奉文-x-聖子
youtube.com/watch?v=XHfyLv6t5to
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Chimera Ant arc is the only one above it. You cannot disagree with me because I am stating a fact.

But Chapter Black is the best YYH arc

>genkai returning
Yeah, no.

there's too much uninteresting dookie and jobber fights crammed into the middle of the tournament. Tournament arc has a better climax and story woven in to it but chapter black was much more consistent and interesting even though it went downhill with o my demon blood

I liked Chapter Black and I thought it had some interesting but when the actual fight with Sensui started I found it hard to stay interested desu

Tournament arcs ruined YuYu. The fact that they went back to mystery detective sheit but decided to go back to tourneys in the end was greatly disappointing to me.

I agree with this guy

Bad points about Chapter Black

>Revisionism #1 - The ranking chart throws the major villain from the last arc under the bus in a fairly transparent use of power creep
>Revisionism #2 - The old mentor who lost her life and passed the torch down to the next generation is back also I guess [drink if you got spoiled by the episode preview titled "Genkai's Ruse"]
>Kuwabara gets put out of commission for a good deal of the arc
>Another character who's effectively set up to die, in a fairly powerful psychological moment for the series, gets to come back anyway - recurring theme of wind taken out of sails
>The last fight with Sensui is "no my power is stronger than your power" "no my true form is more true and more powerful"
>Revisionism #3 - Taking the relateable "overcoming hardwork and impossible odds" human protagonist and throwing all that hard work under suspicion

Good points about Chapter Black

>Great strategic battles pre-Sensui
>Human antagonist and explicit parallel to the detective protagonist is a refreshing take
>The tremendous soundtrack, particularly the theme when Kuwabara breaks free
>Yusuke getting punked out of the finishing blow is an unusual end to a shonen story arc, is as frustrating to the viewer as it is to him and provides foreshadowing for next arc

Good tastes ITT, the Dark Tournament is my GOAT shonen arc because it had legitimate stakes and really made Toguro seem like a respectful villain who dragged Team Yusuke into this mess just so he could justify taking a different path from Genkai. It gave lots of other characters spotlight and the casual talk in YYH in general made everything seem more emphatic.

Chapter Black was really well done up until Yusuke's ancestry asspull which entirely defeated the whole purpose of the previous arc which just finished implying that there is strength in being human and some other things. All thrown away which sucked, but at least most things before then (barring those 3 redundant dorks Genkai hired and that video game kid's revivals) were at least appropriate.

Chimera Ants in HxH was just downright sad and made us feel empathy for some of the ants so much throughout the arc and let us get their reasoning in their plans. Didn't like how everyone's character just became downright serious and everyone's IQ suddenly became 200+ though.

The animation and visual style is really where S2 of Yu Yu Hakusho excels

I can't

Just going to gripe that by all accounts, Yusuke vs Chuu should be remembered as having one of the most brutal, testosterone pumped endings to a YYH fight, but the anime adaptation ruined it by constantly cutting away and using a souless animation loop.

So many great animators worked on the Dark Tournament: besides Wakabayashi, there’s Akitoshi Yokoyama, Tetsuya Nishio, Hidetsugu Ito, Takashi Tomioka, Hiroki Kanno, Masayuki Yoshihara, Satoru Utsunomiya, Tatsuya Oishi, and tons more.

>finished implying that there is strength in being human and some other things

No it is wasn't, it seems you barely understood that point

Remind me then, from what I remember the Dark Tournament showed the consequences of Toguro's inhuman path. This became pretty clear when everyone in the audience started to finally begin rooting for Team Yusuke near the end after seeing what Toguro's demon energy was capable of.

40 episodes taking place almost entirely in the same boring arena doing the same generic boring shounen fights, with very little happening outside of that. It was incredibly fucking dull.

I wish more tourney arcs would utilize a team format. Made fights more interesting when you legitimately didn't know how certain fights with MCs were going to go even if the main group was still going to win overall.

Putting it in a sense of "demons bad, humans good" would muddy up the fact Yusuke befriended demons before and during the tournament.

Toguro's deal was that he basically sold his soul to get power he felt he couldn't obtain himself having plateaued in his time and felts liberated by his own limitations. He told the same thing to Yusuke when he reached his level, that with power you can be free to do whatever you want.

The DIRECTION by Akiyuki Shinbo though. Completely unparalleled.

Not him. Wouldn't say you're wrong to take that message from the fight, I just think the situation is more nuanced and open ended. Yusuke vs Toguro was essentially pitting the life style that Genkai adhered to against that of Toguro. But part of the reason Yusuke was able to win at all that way was that Toguro wanted Genkai to be right, and purposefully gave Yusuke every chance to win. I feel there's no clear theme screaming at the viewer as to how to live their life, but rather just a character study into Toguro and his guilt ridden personality.
Admittedly, Yusuke becoming a demon came out of nowhere, but I actually think it ties in well with Sensui's own perception, that not all demons are bad, and not all humans are good. So I'd go as far to say that making Yusuke a demon provided us a good ground to test Sensui's conclusions in the final arc.
It all kinda leads into each other, one point of view contradicting another, and Yusuke getting to see multiple sides because of it.

O MY 100% PERCENT

Right, although during that whole fight he was pretty dead-set on making Yusuke unlock all his spirit power at all costs. I can't remember it that clearly, but was Toguro trying to bring out everything in Yusuke, even going as far as harming his friends, as a way of testing everything Genkai stood for? Or was he trying to make a statement to Team Yusuke that his path was justified had he won? (because Toguro did say that he didn't want Yusuke to end up like him after he lost but who knows if this would have been the case if Toguro won (now I can't even remember if he even wanted to win in the first place))

>I feel there's no clear theme screaming at the viewer as to how to live their life, but rather just a character study into Toguro and his guilt ridden personality.
I found it interesting that Toguro insisted that he suffered some eternal torture after his loss despite being offered a lighter sentence, even if he chose to go down like a warrior the fact that he decided an eternal punishment was appropriate for him really goes to show just how guilty he must have felt after losing, yet he seemed the exact opposite all the way up until his final match.
As for that Yusuke demon revival, I still don't like it. I would've liked it if they reworked it to end similarly to Toguro's death in the way that Sensui would have only learned of his weaknesses by being defeated, and eventually coming to terms that Yusuke was alive specifically because of his neutrality with both humans and demons to an extent. Also the way Sensui went out felt a bit grim, that Itsuki just took him into some void for eternity, like it wasn't a really wholesome conclusion imo.

I would say that by the point Toguro is introduced, his character arc is already nearly complete. He lived a life seeking power while being conscious of the fact that it was temporary, and would go away. But of course while he was very dedicated to this, he was also human and cared for his students, who were slaughtered. I believe this lead him down an unstable path, where the only thing he felt was reliable was strength, not human sentimentality. Becoming a demon was both a move to rob him of that while making him powerful indefinitely. But at the same time, part of him still wants to be wrong about that, he wants to believe that Genkai did the right thing. So when we're introduced to Toguro, he's a man who is explictly and desperately trying to be proven wrong, and of course, once proven wrong, all the guilt that he could have been better came out. This is really just Toguro voicing his own inner demons after having his students killed, trying to put Yusuke in a similar scenario.
God, love Toguro as a character.
Honestly with Sensui, I feel l'll have to reread the series to completely get his deal, as my memory of his motivations and progressions right now aren't the clearest, so I couldn't give a better defense of him.

Am i the only one that thought it was extremely boring? The trick house the preceded the arc was more interesting to me than the entirety of the Dark tournament arc. I really liked the show right up until the saint beasts then it just didnt have the same feel anymore.

Yu Yu Hakusho is just a JoJo Part 4 rip off.

You could elaborate instead of repeating this ad nauseam in yyh threads.

Toguro Ototo falls in love with Genkai.

Unable to confess, he is gifted by a deus ex machina with the old girl's phone number. Never minding the strange area code, he immediately calls her, and is overjoyed to find out that she has a crush on him as well.

But, the next day, when he recounts the previous day's confessions to the martial arts master, she only looks at him with a perplexed expression. After some investigation, he finds out that the girl he called is not the same girl he fell in love with. In fact, she doesn't exist in this universe at all. She is Genkai's alternate universe counterpart, who has fallen in love with the muscleman's own AU self, who too is blissfully unaware of her crush.

Hijinks ensue as the two strike up a deal to give each other their darkest, most private secrets in order to equip the other with the weapons they need to conquer the heart of their other selves. While the two chase their respective loved ones, DRAMA ensues as they begin to fall in love with each other instead and question the NATURE of STRENGTH.

FINDS

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Keit-Ai. The humour is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of multiverse theory most of the jokes will go over a typical viewer’s head. There’s also the MC's deterministic outlook as he longs for the AU version of his crush instead of his crush, which is deftly woven into his characterisation- his personal philosophy draws heavily from Philisophical Taoism literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realise that they’re not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE.

As a consequence people who dislike Keit-Ai truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn’t appreciate, for instance, the humour in the copypasta's catchphrase “Keit-Ai finds a way,” which itself is a cryptic reference to the works of Alexander of Aphrodisias. I’m smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Sup Forums’s genius wit unfolds itself on the film version of Keit-Ai, which is Kimi no Na wa. What fools.. how I pity them.

And yes, by the way, i DO have a Keit-Ai t-shirt. And no, you cannot see it. It’s for the ladies’ eyes only- and even then they have to demonstrate that they’re within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel kid.

Already a thing.

webtoons.com/en/challenge/keit-ai/list?title_no=36825
fictionpress.com/s/3206139/1/Keit-AI-Tomoyuki-x-Seiko-Keit愛-奉文-x-聖子

Chapter Black sucks. Sensui is a shitty mary sue.

Good shit OP, you're right.

Tired of seeing these MHAfag threads.

Shaggy Dramatically Reads Keit-Ai.

youtube.com/watch?v=XHfyLv6t5to

Agreed. The problem is though that no one on that team besides Sensui should have actually been a problem. Yusuke could have killed all of them instantly but hesitated due to them being human.

Dark Tournament is still the best of the series. Perfect characters all around. I want something new.

It's good, but the second they added in Sensui being sick and only have a month to live it ruined everything for me. Toguro I understand, his entire purpose in life was finding someone stronger than him, but Sensui didn't even hint at shit like that.

Yu Yu Hakusho, manga or anime?

To be fair, what I remember in the dub is that scene when they enter the Makai, Sensui was conversing with the other persona about their next course of action after the portal opens and the demons start rampaging and Shinobu said, "You know we won't live long enough to see that".

manga

They're essentially the same thing. Give or take a few different scenarios and stories that were cut from the anime. Both had different takes on an the ending.

You know for all the corniness of YYH's dub... it was honestly a pretty enjoyable dub.

Nothing corny about it, they did a fantastic job.

It's one of my favorite dubs ever. I prefer it to Japanese honestly.

>MC is a Josuke rip off
>Ghost stuff
>Characters powers are just a worst version of stands

>MC is a Josuke rip off
YYH began serialization in 1990.
Jojo part for began serialization in 1992.
>delinquent main character who's more than what he seems isn't a preexisting archetype
No one copied anyone here, likely.
>Ghost stuff
YYH's concept of a spirit world is a lot more concrete and explict than Jojo's. Honestly, if it lifted ideas from anyone, it lifted from Dragon Ball, which was in turn lifting from preexisting mythology.
>Characters powers are just a worst version of stands
Have you even read more than one 90s manga? Again, here YYH has more influence from DB than anything. It's just another shonen trying to do its own version of energy system based combat.

Jojo's great, but next time try not to be a tard who stereotypically thinks everything is a Jojo reference.

>implying I will read all of you bullshit
Nice try fag.
Togashi is a talentless hack and has copied everything from other authors, is a fact.
I don't even like JoJo, but I have to be honest.

tldr dates alone prove you're full of shit and you don't sound like you know what you're talking about
Also nice back pedal.

Yeah, Chapter Black is the best one

>Implying Araki hasn't the entire story planned already in 1987
Lmao, do you even read the manga?

>Araki plots his manga that far ahead
>Togashi somehow stole his ideas before they were published
Yeah, you're full of shit. Have a nice day.

>implying Togashi hasn't sneaked inside Araki's house and stole ideas and CDs
Yeah, you're full of shit. Have a nice day.

That is the following arc. The one no one likes