Akagi or Kaiji?

What did you like more Sup Forums, Akagi The Genius Who Descended Into the Darkness, or Kaiji The Ultimate Survivor?

Other urls found in this thread:

gamedesign.jp/flash/mahjong/mahjong_e.html
nicovideo.jp/watch/sm18245885
youtube.com/watch?v=uJQa9b_8h1s
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Akagi is just boring mahjong autism starring Edgy McEdge
Kaiji is far better.

The one that's not about the game that I can't play nor know how to play.

Akagi is far better
Kaiji is for gays, closet gays and fujos

How do I know which one I am?

The one where the MC doesn't cry for half of every episode.

you're posting here so I can narrow it down to gay or closet gay

Akagi has no tension. The MC is on constant god-mode and somehow keeps consistently winning in a game of luck by calculating the trajectory of every molecule in the universe

Akagi ruined most anime and manga for me, now my standards and expectations for strategy/tactics have risen too much.

I am 17ish episodes into Kaiji, does it get better? I liked the ship arc but it's gotten a bit meh to me. I expected lots of actual games of gambling like Akagi, not just people crying on a bridge.

>Edgy McEdge
retard

I like both but I prefer Akagi because his character arc is actually over and incredibly good. Kaiji's development is ongoing but I don't think it can top what FKMT did with Akagi.

Have you ever had to overcome a point difference of over 29k with only 4 rounds remaining? How can someone think that this isn't a tense situation to be in? Unless they don't understand the game, that is.

Kaiji is probably better but I find myself rewatching Akagi a lot more.

>does it get better?
Absolutely

Kaiji

ok, this whole time I thought they were the same show. Maybe I need to actually watch them

Don't miss out on FKMT user.

Z E R O
E
R
O

Reading through Kaiji right now, and even with these slightly modified Mahjong rules, I'm pretty lost.
I have no hope for myself if I ever decided to get into Akagi.

Which part of it did you have trouble understanding?

I barely understood anything when I was reading Kaiji but I got into Akagi pretty easily after playing a few games on gamedesign.jp/flash/mahjong/mahjong_e.html

If it can help, the hardest part in Kaiji 3 is the japanese naming.
In this modified mahjong, the characters can building their hand using 34 tiles at the start of the game, which is A LOT and makes it very easy, so to balance that they have an additional restriction of making a pretty strong hand : a mangan hand.
A hand's value is measured in han. To get a mangan hand you need at least 4 han, which you can acquire if your hand fits some "templates" called yaku (pic related). There are a lot of them but they're pretty intuitive (e.g. only use one suit, don't use edge tiles like 1-9, stuff like this) and you get used to them after a while. But the japanese naming of these yaku will probably throw off new readers.

In this modified mahjong, once both player are one tile away from victory ("tenpai"), the game starts and both players try to avoid discarding the tile the other needs to complete their hand (a hand is complete with 4 triplets and 1 pair).

There's no perfect defense strategy for this but in general the most dangerous tiles are the 2-8 (because if your opponent has a 3-4, he can win with a 2 or a 5, and so on, which makes the 1-9 safer in comparison).
The honor tiles are even safer than 1-9, because they're not numbered you can't line them like 3-4-5, you need 3 of the same which is harder.
Finally your opponent CANNOT win with tiles he discarded himself which makes them 100% safe.

Tldr: don't pay attention to ching chong bullshit, the characters are just chaining domino together

It's not tense because we know he won't lose, no matter how impossible the odds may seem on paper.

The beam walks are basically the low point for Kaiji in a tactical sense. I still enjoyed it for the psychological exploration and such, though. Don't worry, next game is another great one.

>nor know how to play
Think of all of these awesome stuff you're missing, so, please stop missing.
nicovideo.jp/watch/sm18245885
(not featured: the fear of knowing that everytime Teru wins a round, the amount of points she wins is obligatory higher than her previous consecutive win, so the 3 other players have to team up against her. Also, the other epic heroic sacrifice in that same match)

It's not about whether Akagi will win or not but how he's going to make his opponent shit his pants

Or download them.
youtube.com/watch?v=uJQa9b_8h1s

I personally liked Akagi's realization that the game allowed a playstyle based on making your opponent fold, and prevent them from forming a winning hand (as a kind of opponent manipulation, fight for control -- something like, the one who's closer to losing is the one reacting to the opponent's actions and/or having his/her options limited by the opponent; the one who's closer to winning is the one with more freedom to act -- and avoidance of disadvantageous situations rather than having to respond to them when they happen, that's not normally seen in manga/anime). In retrospect, it was nice to have seen it in action against Yagi, Ichikawa and Urabe.

>Think of all of these awesome stuff you're missing, so, please stop missing.
Maybe one day
I finished Kaiji anime and then I went onto the Manga and I got right up to where they start and my brain was ready to explode at that point

You put it in words nicely.
I also like this "to survive you must die" way of thinking. Sounds stupid but it's not.

Most of us were there. Just focus on what tile he's waiting for, that's all you need to pay attention to. Then start learning and playing mahjong.

The beam walks made me shit myself from the tension. I have a literally crippling fear of heights, putting myself in the characters' position made me have sweaty palms through that entire mini-arc

Like you said though, definitely not much to it tactically. The following arcs are so much better, and season 2 is way better than season 1.

Both had their strengths and weaknesses

so, Kaiji?

how are the Akagi's live drama?

> I find myself rewatching Akagi a lot more.
All of it?

Akagi is pretty good until Washizu ruins it.
Seriously, at least in the manga the pacing isn't that shit (or maybe it's because you can skim all the washizu autism)
It's even worse in the anime where they have like 2-3 episodes about that Dora Xia alone
Too bad you chose the worst oponnent.
>meltdown
>haha what was I thinking
>you'll die with this draw akagi
>oh nevermind
>you'll die with your discard akagi
>oh nevermind
>wtf I'm in hell
>I'm back
>you'll die this time akagi
>meltdown
>you'll die with this draw akagi
>wtf I'm in hell

I mostly prefer Kaiji as you get to have a lot of different games, as opposed to mahjong which relies too heavily on luck to actually have actual planning behind it.

As a character I probably like Akagi more. I enjoy him being more ruthless, as opposed to Kaiji barely scraping by. That's why I liked One Outs so much as well.

I have troubles with reading Kaiji part 3 now because I want to strangle the fuck out of the MC.

>they have no backgrounds all the same but their teams are incomparable
one shitty Buddhist priest from Ten is already worth one Sakazaki and Sakazaki was great
>Akagi's time is more interesting to talk about
post ww2 > post Bubble
>It's a lot of Akagis against one humble Kaiji
I mean what if Kaiji gets a son figure instead of a father figure like some anons thought it could help him to grow as a person?

I liked Akagi more until the end
I felt like them cutting it off was cheap

New season isn't being subbed, unfortunately.

>hating Washizu
Same.

>Akagi is just boring mahjong autism starring Edgy McEdge
Read Ten you stupid faggot

Or Akagi

Are you talking about the anime or the manga? The arc was ongoing when they adapted it, so there wasn't much choice but to cut off the match.

The anime, it was just like "haha akagi won it's over"
I figured the arc was going when I finished but that still didn't make it feel less shitty

How do you think it should have ended? Genuinely asking, not being a smartass.

Should've ended here.

Didn't the arc end this year? That way Akagi was just sitting there after victory was spot on.

That was basically the ending of that arc in the manga too.

Yeah, ended a few months back. Really wish Washizu hadn't survived.

I like Akagi (both the character and manga) but he was way more autistic as a young man.

I've yet to go through all of FKMT's works, so I don't think I can rightly say. I like Akagi but I've been reading a lot more Kaiji so for now at least I like him more. It's just so incredibly compelling watching him be very human and relateable, falling deeper and deeper into despair each time he thinks he's about to be saved, only to desperately claw his way back out.

He was never autistic, stubborn maybe, but he was like that in Ten as well

Kakegurui

I don't know, but even though we knew Akagi was gonna win (because he's MC) there was so much buildup and then it was just over
Felt super unsatisfying, didn't even get to see Washizu actually shit himself in the end

Wasn't that the point, kind of? Akagi is always left unsatisfied.

Wonder if the pacing would've been better if they hadn't cut out the Nakai mini-arc, so Washizu mahjong wouldn't have stretched on as long.

This is a good point, though.

Washizu is still a villain here so no surprise here. Once Akagi finally joined the sperging out the dynamics became great. All that cheering on and taunting, like come on later parts Akagi was fun and it's the direct result of Washizy talking shit a lot

Washizu does it several times. Even in the manga, after he finally loses, it's super unsatisfying.
Washizu gets back up after Akagi left and throws a tantrum again.

I don't even want to know how shitty the other mangas in Kindai Mahjong are when it is this endless Washizu shit that is carrying that magazine

Stop fucking crying and go read the battle, it's fully out and it's great. You wouldn't know just how many anons had the story on-hold FOR YEARS because no translations and then no ending. It's here, it's finally here, what are you waiting for?

>Washizu will never die the way he killed his opponents
He'd better die after some significant monologue, at least. It's so unsatisfying having him survive.

Both series have their peaks and lows. Urabe match + aftermath was pure genius while Washizu stuff was milked to death, and chinchirorin was a perfect from beginning to end while helmet guys could go fuck themselves.

>Washizu is still a villain here so no surprise here.
What?

In the anime, Washizu ruins the pacing. Seriously, I already mentioned those 2-3 Dora Xia episodes. Or when he's talking a few minutes how his draw is going to kill Akagi. Or when he's talking to his slave that he's going to kill Akagi with his draw/Akagis discard. Or when he's talking how he's going to kill Akagi with his discard. Or when he's talking how he's going to kill Akagi until he gets to draw again which brings us again to the part where he's going to kill Akagi with his draw.
I recently watched the anime

It's not so bad in the manga but maybe it's because you can skim through it

Adult Akagi is the same as old Akagi, he's just more thirsty for battle but they share the same principles

you forgot level 5, you've mastered Mahjong

Clearly there are people who didn't read the manga here. WHY ARE YOU POSTING WITHOUT SPOILER TAGS? Fucking underage phoneposters who can't ctrl+S.

They've had ages to catch up, retard.

is it 4 or 5 months since the p-pon? Fucking HELL m8!

Urabe was pretty genius mindgame but I think Washizu went beyond that. It's not just about the tactics, the Washizu mahjong talked about humans facing their own minds and weaknesses and coming to terms with their death. There's something satisfying with Akagi outbraining people but it's secondary to those themes

I wish Anime-only fags would learn to read, like, reading through a manga from a point after the anime ends takes a lot less time than watching the anime
an animated episode takes like roughly 22 minutes, but you can breeze through a manga at an even faster rate
I was able to read all of Gintama, all 600+ chapters in like three days while I needed like 9-10 days to watch all 300+ episodes of the anime

Not our problem either way.

Thank you for the yous but please go and never come back to this site.

>In the anime, Washizu ruins the pacing
>only in the anime

Fuck off already, no one cares.

Not even worth it after all those years

I like Akagi more, especially after reading Ten. The ending still means a lot to me. I used to prefer Kaiji when I was just getting into FKMT and only watched the anime.

Seems like that's how it goes for a lot of people. Hope Kaiji's ending will rival Ten in significance.

I challenge anyone not to get moved by Ten last volumes.

Still can't believe FKMT made something this great with 250 chapters of one game just by having more monologues than game. The mahjong is better in Ten and even there you have these motivational quotes at the end of a chapter but it didn't go as far in that regards. That must have been a hell to follow but it's a blast to read

Reading that in one go was the best part of my summer but I always liked shit out of Washizu character. Let's not forget about his main character feature, being a consulting company founder which recovered the whole fucking ruined country. Mainly how he actually shows muh consulting skills through his incredible adaptability while being honestly a shitty mahjong player after each one of his losses and wins all the way till your pic which wasn't out of character at all. We still need closure but it won't change much to me.

Washizu only played bad after Akagi shook him up to make him take bad choices like not winning his yakuman. Otherwise he seems like an okay player.

He's just the Yami Yugi of Mahjong, they mention it all the time how he pulls tiles out of his ass.

>more polished style
Please what a weak case of damage control of earlier anons. Anime can't work with two different looks of the same MCs, remember madhouse adding glasses to Kiseijuu one? same case of the manga character looking more innocent in the beginning which couldn't be cheaply adapted, animators usually need a consistent model. But clearly drawing younger naive and clueless Kaiji in the style of older addicted post traumatic one isn't a good thing at all. Trying to pass that as a plus is laughable. Here we see the moment of awesome box taunt. Retarded looking warrior of justice manga Kaiji and deranged looking anime one. No wonder so many faggots misunderstand the arc, m-muh addiction kicked in oooh I soo feel this guy I know this feeeel. Hahaha pathetic.

Akagi is wasted on Washizu!

I hope Kaiji doesn't die. I could imagine him losing it all again but perhaps taking down Teiai in the process or alternatively becoming corrupted himself.

I really want him to have a happy ending, but I just can't think of one.

Yeah, unless he gets rid of his crippling addiction, that seems very unlikely.

How about this:
He gets a nice life/achieves important goals but goes bald?

Either he wins big and takes over Teiai, or he loses everything and marries Mikoko.

Truly, a fate worse than a painful death.

Alright, but which anime has the better soundtrack.
Keiji makes better use of it since it doesn't have Washizu (or rather Washizu intro battle)

Don't tell me it can't be a possible ending.

Kaiji 2 > Akagi >= Kaiji 1
Phoenix Star and Shoubu are the best

Kaiji becomes a sararyman, marries Mikoko, has 2 ungrateful shitty kids, buys a Nissan Micra and goes bald.

that's the bad ending

They're both good due to being unpredictable.
Akagi you know he'll always win, but how he's going to do that and how his enemies will struggle is a constant entertainment.
Kaiji you know he'll always lose in the end, but those few times he gets an insight and pulls through or the way his enemies are going to fuck him over are also a constant entertainment.

>Akagi you know he'll always win, but how he's going to do that and how his enemies will struggle is a constant entertainment.

It's not 1995 anymore

So are you guys hating on based Washizu-sama just because you wanted a one-sided slaughter but it was a cute little psychotherapy session all along?

Kaiji.
While I enjoyed both, Akagi is just too unbelievably smart and the show just doesn't have the same level of tension because of it.

He kills the pace.
He doesn't play smart (his gimmick is luck).
His arc takes way too long.

FKMT might not be for you if you think Washizu kills the pace

But the arc is about him not Akagi. In the beginning it looks like he falls into insanity thanks to Akagi's mindfucking but over time it appears exactly the opposite as the mindfucking actually doesn't harm him at all but rather removes some of these shells made out of pride accumulated over his long life (along with the money of course) and Washizu becomes more reasonable, "younger self" without loosing the attitude too so we could have a nice 10 yo tier bitch fit in the end. I'd say it's a bit too much to happen in just one night considering how conservative old fucks are and you say it's too little. Weird as fuck

I can totally see him becoming corrupted and building his own shitty evil corporation, then Ichijou and some other antagonists come back as his henchmen.

Well, he becomes the pace of the series but I think Akagi's prior opponnents were more thrilling and the plot moved faster.
I might be wrong but I don't remember any chapters that are just about "WHAT DID HE DRAW?"

Honestly I think it would've been better to have Washizu have several, different appearances throughout the manga or at least different Mahjong games but then again the only reason Akagi managed to get him out of his shell was using his own life as bait

keep going, if you don't get fulfilled you'll definitely be surprised instead, kinda the same for the sequel

Let's see, the reason this manga exists is to establish the character people wanted to knew more about, right? Being a prequel and all. So our somewhat silent protag was an enemy of the reason the manga exists for awhile and it took THIS long in the Washizu battle to get some honest responses how he sees things and life and everything. Kid Akagi told us everything we needed to know easily but this one. Fucking loners how does they work? Both the Akagi's aggressive mahjong theme and Akagi as a character called for a long arc. Mahjong part -- I feel like all the smaller opponents were here just to show off the ways to push people to fold in cases they don't have much resources. But then the apotheosis of being resourceful appears, and with the game of double teams with essentially triple drawing where he kills people due to him having the overwhelming money back up, no less. Think about it, with an opponent like that you only have one try too, that's the third thing why I think it's good it was this long. There's not a single way to say it would be better shorter, besides "it hurts reader's attention span".