Ghibli Thread

Hey lads. I just watched Castle in the Sky for the first time. Although I havent seen all of Studio Ghibli's works, this is by far my favorite of those I have watched. It brought a tear to my eye.
Which is your favorite Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

vimeo.com/179564507
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Most people here would say Porco Rosso, but I agree with you OP.

Castle in the Sky is just plain GOOD!

Personally I love princess monoke, but there's one I can never remember the name of about a girl with a gun which is pretty good too.

I've only seen Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away, but they were both pretty good. It's really weird, both films were really well made and I could appreciate them on a surface level, but had no emotional connection with either one. It's like looking at a mountain from far away without feeling the joy of being on the summit.

Probably because none of the characters in those movies were interesting or complex.

Grave of the Fireflies is still one of my favorites, though many ignore it because it's not Miyazaki

Not him but I think that's why I like Porco Rosso so much, since it's a more lighthearted film centered around the protagonist's development rather than the world around them.

I need to see that movie again. It's the only Ghibli movie that probably deserves a rewatch.

Castle in the sky is also my favorite
Something about floating castles just does it for me
Pom poko is also great

?

>Not him but I think that's why I like Porco Rosso so much, since it's a more lighthearted film centered around the protagonist's development rather than the world around them.
he doesn't develop though

he doesn't change back from a pig

Yeah BOOOOIIIIIIII

no problemo

read the manga its much much better

nausicaa was ghibli's first movie, before it was even a studio, a lot different than the manga blah blah

actual spoiler here for the plot

nausicaa advocates in the end for essentially the destruction of 90% of the human race because she's adamantly against modern technology and think people should die if they can't live without it

She killed millions.

Nausicaa was so fucking fun to watch, I don't even care that the plot is truncated. It feels like a fantasy epic moreso than any other anime.

Grave of the fireflies or Princess Mononoke were the best I've seen so far. I watched Castle in the Sky 2 weeks ago and found it quite boring. The characters weren't that interesting and the setting felt like a less fleshed out fushigi no umi no Nadia.
Manga is better.

The mono audio one.

I've been marathoning Ghibli films in the last few days and so far I've watched Nausicaa, Laputa, Porco Rosso, Spirited Away, Mononoke and Howl. I already downloaded Kaguya and Only Yesterday, what else is worth watching?

apart from earthsea they all worth watching

Marnie is my favorite, followed by the Cat Returns, Spirited Away, and Ponyo.

The Wind Rises
Porco Rosso
Nausicaa
Princess Mononoke

Those are all 10/10s imo but so far Ive never seen a bad ghibli film. Which one should I watch next?

Only Yesterday
Earthsea
Yamadas
Ocean Waves
The Cat Returns
Whisper of the Heart

Whisper of the Heart.

Whisper of the Heart

That movie gave me some serious feels.

Probably cause I watched it not too long after my grandma died.

vimeo.com/179564507

>but had no emotional connection with either one.
That's really odd. I had a large emotional connection to both, and still do.
>none of the characters in those movies were interesting or complex.
lol what? Did you even watch them? Miyazaki characters all have an incredible amount of subtle depth. It isn't offered to you on a silver platter, but most non-autistic people should be able subconsciously recognize it.

I have this poster hanging in my room. I think this one came out too early to get hyped in the west. I was talking to a guy yesterday who claimed to have seen all of ghibli's films and even listed off some really lesser known works but had never heard of Nausicaa

Earthsea feels like a bad Zelda movie

Well, he's not wrong. Nausicaa was technically made by Topcraft, not Ghibli.

When can I watch ghibli movies in 4k on my 75 inch tv?

I don't think going up to 4K will improve much compared to existing blurays - even with Ghibli's quality, neither the cels nor the backgrounds are THAT detailed.

Now go watch Future Boy Conan.
It's more or less Laputa: TV series.

Ghibli/Miyazaki is over-rated pos.

Sheeta a cute!

Literally watched it last night for the millionth time and for some reason that scene you posted hit me harder than usual

Who is the cutest Ghibli and why is it Kiki?

It's Totoro.

Kiki will always be my favorite
besides that I like the older ones a bit better due to that 80's charm

why is everyone hating on earthsea again?

*tips*

Because it's got a mess of a plot that makes little sense regardless of whether you read the books or not, a shitty main character, and the production values are nothing to write home about either.

Did you watch it? It was pretty fucking dull.

I haven't watched any of the Ghibli films in a very long time but Laputa (CitS) and Mononoke have always stuck with me for their imagery and imagination.
Kikifags get out

Not that guy, but he has a point. I read somewhere that Spirited Away is considered the best cartoon for the last twenty years, but I'm pretty sure some Disney movie is better than that movie.

If it was the best movie in Japan I could understand, but to enjoy the movie completely you really need to understand a bit about Japanese culture and history, and without that knowledge I think the movie is a bit dull.

Then again I'm a big Disney fanboy.

Iblard Time is one of the most underrated Ghibli works. Although I guess it can't really be called a movie.

>Iblard Time
huh. First I've ever heard of this.

It's amazingly beautiful. It's also just a slideshow with little bits of ambient animation.

>I read somewhere that Spirited Away is considered the best cartoon for the last twenty years, but I'm pretty sure some Disney movie is better than that movie.
What Disney movie from the past 20 years is better than Spirited Away?

Cars? Finding Nemo? Wall-E?

good one, user.

I would put it like this:

Best:
My Neighbour Totoro
Only Yesterday

Great:
Grave of the Fireflies
Kiki's Delivery Service
Porco Rosso
Pom Poko
Princess Mononoke
My Neighbours the Yamadas
Spirited Away
Ponyo
The Wind Rises

Good:
Castle in the Sky
Howl's Moving Castle
Whisper of the Heart
The Tale of the Princess Kaguya

Meh:
Pretty well everything else

I think Ghibli movies have a particularly great replay value, there's so many little details that can pass unnoticed when you don't have the whole narrative in mind yet.

imo even modern Ghibli still has an old school style.

The Wind Rises came out in 2013 but it feels like something from the 90's, I guess it shows how Miyazaki rejects modern trends and only cares about his own way of doing stuff.