Ito Junji appreciation thread

Uzumaki is still giving me nightmares and daytime creeps.

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/a/9ut9n
kissmanga.com/Manga/Jigokusei-Remina/Vol-001-Ch-006-005--Army-of-One?id=171461
kissmanga.com/Manga/Uzumaki/Uzumaki-Chapter-1?id=56778
youtu.be/bwA-eVV4zk4
bato.to/comic/_/comics/uzumaki-r106
bato.to/comic/_/comics/jigokusei-lemina-r1207
imgur.com/gallery/C7tab
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-10-12/junji-ito-collection-anime-reveals-visual-staff-january-7-premiere/.122619
imgur.com/gallery/zmfi3
imgur.com/gallery/kVYFI
imgur.com/gallery/IKOUx
imgur.com/gallery/juapW
imgur.com/gallery/i2IJ6
imgur.com/gallery/MIe4x
imgur.com/gallery/9hbcn
imgur.com/gallery/djVzu
imgur.com/gallery/0nEKM
imgur.com/gallery/mvyFF
imgur.com/gallery/y3pvO
imgur.com/gallery/KTtZI
imgur.com/gallery/Uemm1
imgur.com/gallery/lUTV2
imgur.com/gallery/Hn5Sb
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

What is he so happy about?

Finally a leg day.

DDR DDR

Where does it lead?

An enigma

Welp, I read 2 chapters and I'm not sleeping now, guess I'm binging. Thanks user.

Believe it or not I find Uzumaki to be a relaxing and comfortable read nowadays. I own it in hardcover and I rather enjoy hunkering up in bed and going through it every now and again.

>That one story called something loke The Woman Next Door where she turns out to be a robot thing with crazy legs, or the one where the woman across is a witch or some shit
Spooked myself

I've read 3 Juji Ito stories so far. The grease one, the hole one, and the ears one. The art is good, and a bit creepy, but I haven't been impressed by the writing in any of them. Is this more of the same?

You gotta check out Army of One, Window Next Door and Uzumaki. Uzumaki is probably his magnum opus.

Window Next Door:
imgur.com/a/9ut9n

Army of One:
kissmanga.com/Manga/Jigokusei-Remina/Vol-001-Ch-006-005--Army-of-One?id=171461

Uzumaki:
kissmanga.com/Manga/Uzumaki/Uzumaki-Chapter-1?id=56778

A lot of the short stories revolve around an idea and emphasises that instead of quality writing. The actual manga he did like Uzumaki are well written though

Great Video talking about his work

youtu.be/bwA-eVV4zk4

Uzumaki and Gyo. Real bizarre nightmare stuff. Ending of Uzumaki still creeps me out, Gyo is completely fucked up.

GA-SHUNK

we hate kiss* here, this is a reminder

>welllcome to the circus!

My Apologies, I'm still a NewFag

Uzumaki:
bato.to/comic/_/comics/uzumaki-r106

Army of One:
bato.to/comic/_/comics/jigokusei-lemina-r1207

But not as much as we hate batato, try again.

Stop being a faggot

So what's with the window? Is the whole house some kind of creature? But why didn't she knock?

Spooky

Ito's horror is a bit like Lovecraft, you don't get straight up spooked but the ideas that the stories plant in your head will always unsettle you because you don't get an explanation.

>But why didn't she knock?

Maybe shes just shy a cutie is living next door

This. In the back of my mind I'm worried a giant tree will slap my shit no matter where I am

This kinda stuff is why I'm into Lovecraftian Horror, and Junji Ito does that great. The Horror that Lingers.

>Hang out in this thread late at night
No sleep tonight it seems

Scariest part of that is how everyone who sees their hole get irresistible urge of getting into it.

>sees their hole get irresistible urge of getting into it

I shouldn't say it, I really shouldn't

A Deserter in the House is another great one. Granted both parties in the story are guilty, the twist ending is pretty good.

imgur.com/gallery/C7tab

The Case of The Pillar, or something similarly titled was one of the weirdest. The first time I read it was like 7 years or so ago and at the time thought it was Ito essentially shitposting. But for some reason I can't stop thinking about it and it freaks me out

Is there a collection of all his shit!

Yes?

The first 5 or so chapters of Uzumaki were so good and creepy, then it goes off the rails a bit and becomes more funny and ridiculous (like the spiral hair battle), with some legitimate creepy sprinkled inbetween.

Ending chapters are good too though.

probably the only kind of horror I can get into

What I love about Ito is that everything is played between the creepy and funny, how grotesque it is.

For a horror manga, Junji Ito does a great job making Waifu Quality girls that actually look attractive without going the whole moe or generic route.

>The fucking hurricane children

Souichi is best boy

i get you

I get you 2

>Tomie with blond hair
Cute but not diverse

Reminder that Junji Ito worked with Pokemon Team to create art

Yeah I guess I can get that, one flaw with Ito's work is that all his female and especially the male leads look similar.

>That time in Uzumaki when the fat kid and the bully both turn into slugs and have gay snail sex and the teacher steps on the eggs and then he becomes a snail too

because they are reincarnated to suffer in endless cycle

how much do you think Studio Deen is going to ruin the anime?

I wouldn't call that a flaw, the characters are only a device to expose the horror. It really doesn't matter who they are,

Later on when they start EATING the snail version of their neighbors by LITERALLY CLIMBING INSIDE THEIR SHELL

>Deen
Please tell me they aren't the ones who are going to anime it. Please.

I have low expectations, Ito has perfected the art of tellying horror though manga, but I will give it a chance.
Between this and the new Baki anime I fear two of my favourite authors are going to get memed to death because it looks funny icsd.

sorry, friend
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-10-12/junji-ito-collection-anime-reveals-visual-staff-january-7-premiere/.122619

That spoiler is scarier than anything Ito wrote.

Uzumaki is my favourite yaoi manga

*PTSD FLASHBACK*

From my experience, replicating literal works of art never turned out that well.

Your doctor said you have liver Tomie

>Deen
Eh, they aren't as bad as they used to be.
Could be worse - could be Pierrot

Aren't Pierrot the people doing Jojos?

I want my KyoAni Tomie

They made Naruto but I understand your confusion

I don't know, Junji Ito might actually be up Studio Dean's Alley

That's not too bad. I've only seen a few eps of the show and The Last and it was pretty well animated. Deen on the hand...

Come on, they done effective horror before, at least give them a chance.

It's not that, its just Itos style I think won't translate well to anime

Is this the only good horror manga artist? What else is there for horror?

Kago Shintarp, Hideout, Fune no Tane. I was freaked out by what I've read of Knights of Sidonia and Blame but I wouldn't say they're horror

Kago Shintaro.

>I was freaked out by what I've read of Knights of Sidonia and Blame but I wouldn't say they're horror
I can relate to this for Blame!, the sheer incredible size of time and space left me in awe in some points, but yeah it's not horror.

I agree, it doesn't even need to be the same style, but I've seen few anime studios do "creepy" well.

Shaft can do creepy. Madoka and Monogatari made me feel really uncomfortable with all the real life photos and textures everywhere.

Uzumaki wasn't scary at all. I read it for the romance

It got bad once they started flying and shit.

He's a zombie. Why wouldn't he be happy.

Yeah, Shaft have done creepy but they stepped outside of typical anime by using as you said real life photos and textures.

Are these gonna be animated with shitty digital coloring techniques? Fuck that, then.

The most terrifying story he's ever written is the face balloons story, the one where the balloons try to hang you.

Also the story with the tunnel where people disappear is great too.

Unfortunately junji ito has a bad habit of ending things abruptly. Sometimes it's just too blue balling like in the manikin story where it ends during a fucking chase.

Also the story with the short kid living in a manor with dimension portals felt very unresolved.

>Deen
I am now excited for all the QUALITY rage

I've never watched anything made by Deen, is this a meme or is the studio really bad?

Anyone else not get scared by manga?

I'm a massive pussy and horror movies/games scare the absolute shit out of me to the point where I avoid them altogether, but manga has never scared me. It's something about reading things on a page that completely sucks the horror out of it.

Books have never scared me either.

Random Junji Ito Comic Dump

>Human Chair
imgur.com/gallery/zmfi3

>The Chill
imgur.com/gallery/kVYFI

>Anything but a Ghost
imgur.com/gallery/IKOUx

>A Deserter in the House
imgur.com/gallery/C7tab

>Army of One
imgur.com/gallery/juapW

>The Hanging Balloons
imgur.com/gallery/i2IJ6

>The Enigma of Amigara Fault
imgur.com/gallery/MIe4x

>Library of Illusion
imgur.com/gallery/9hbcn

>Woman Next Door
imgur.com/gallery/djVzu

>The Black Alley
imgur.com/gallery/0nEKM

>Long Dream
imgur.com/gallery/mvyFF

>The Groaning Drain
imgur.com/gallery/y3pvO

>The Enigma of Amigara Fault
imgur.com/gallery/KTtZI

>The Window Next Door
imgur.com/a/9ut9n

##################################

>Telescope (Short Ito Story)
imgur.com/gallery/Uemm1

>Cat Dairy (Not scary, but cute after reading the ones above)
imgur.com/gallery/lUTV2

>Glyceride (This one is fucking gross)
imgur.com/gallery/Hn5Sb

well, i guess Ongaku Shoujo and Konosuba was ok in terms of animation
and they did an amazing job on Ranma
but almost everything else?
wew

Ordered this a few days ago
what is Sup Forums's opinion on it?

fuck i'm so retarded

Much appreciated, there are some here I haven't read before.

scumbag loser

Its funny