Hack or genius?

Hack or genius?

Both

How come this dude basically stopped doing anime after NGE?

yes

NGE finished anime as an art form. Anything after it is superfluous.

They finally let him do shitty live action.

Eva was based on his disillusionment and hatred of the anime fanbase

hard to get back to anime after that

Hideous Anus is a hack fraud con man

The logical next step is decadence. Decadence themed anime by anno when?

mememe?

Good point. Now make it into an anime, bring in some distasteful elements of modern day society like obesity and the classic shut-ins and whatever. Then sprinkle some giant robots on top for good measure.

Depends. Are you talking about Togashi or Anno? Nips all look the same so I can't tell. If Togashi, then genius. He's arguably one of the greatest mangaka of all time. He understands the world and creates genius philosophy. If Anno, then hack. I've never watched Evangelion but judging by those marker drawings in the last episode I really can't say someone like that could have talent.

Genius, and someone who clearly loves animation.

Yes

Genius hack.

I do believe he has a sexy voice

He's famous and popular, I cannot allow myself to enjoy the works of someone like that, so I have to say hack.

You're still talking about his work after all this time.... Genius.

Both

He was doing an adaption of Kare Kano, but got into a fight with the mangaka who didn't like his adaptation and he quit in disgust. After that he didn't do anime for years, aside from his brief Cutie Honey phase in 2004-2005, and the occasional guest director/animator spot.

>shitty live action
>Shin Gojira

Genius, whether you like NGE or not that's indisputable. His media has left a permanent standard for all anime following NGE.

a man of integrity, a man with a vision

It's really the same traits that cause people to label him as one or the other. Which camp you put him in depends on how gating you find those traits.

Also Rebuild undeniably has problems, though people disagree on what those problems are, but the presence of problems itself has soured a lot of opinions regarding him. 4.0 will really determine if he goes down as "flaws but enjoyable director" or "Japanese George Lucas."

still wish he did more stuff now other than EVA
he reached his peak too early