What makes english dubs so horrible?

What makes english dubs so horrible?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=a8ccPr6WWhc
a.pomf.cat/kegmnd.webm
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Nothing. Just watched Madoka dubbed and it was cool.

Listening to E grade voice actors.

the japanese voice acting industry and the american voice acting industry contain radically different sorts of talent

Nothing, really. Finished Highschool DxD and it was a better experienced than subbed, starting Blood Blockade Battlefront now and it's pretty sweet so far.

>people watching dubs
>on Sup Forums
What happened?

The theatrical and silly nature of anime/Japanese dialogue doesn't translate well to English.

>certain lines sound unnatural when translated into English
>VA’s with real acting talent choose jobs in live-action and cartoons instead because they pay better
Still, there’s the odd dub that’s actually pretty good

There are a lot of acceptable dubs, but like anything, if you go into something expecting it to be awful you will trick yourself into disliking it and you will automatically hate it.
People don't "get convinced", they either convince themselves or stay placated in their opinion.
Time to stop browsing Sup Forums if you can't face those facts.

Japaneses tend to have high pitched voices that burgers can't imitate without sounding like retards.

In a lot of non-english speaking countries, quality actors cut their teeth on dubs of american movies/tv shows. In the english-speaking world, cartoon dubbing is seen as the slums, and anime dubbing is the worst of it. So you get shit-tier voice actors who have way too many gigs at once to give a shit about the material.

I downloaded Tekkon Kinkreet without the subs by accident, and said fuck it and gave the dub 5 minutes of my time, was easily the best dubbed anime I've ever heard, watched the whole thing.

Voice acting in Japan is an actual business while in America VAs are just failed actors.

You know that the high pitched "ehhhhhh"-type tone in anime isn't how people normally talk, right? Jav is fake too.

Hearing americans trying to pronounce japanese names is painful

Lack of care from the companies translating, and a lack of English-speaking voice talent. It's not that it can't be done, because good dubs exist, just that it can't be done 'cheap enough'.

Do you find Japanese saying English words to be endearing and funny, though? Just wondering.

Non-japanese female VAs are fucking terrible at acting

There are some japanese female voice actresses I cannot fucking STAND listening to.
I actually like how english women have deeper voices, far less flinch inducing.

English itself.

Japanese people can't tell if an english speaking actor is bad or not.

I've never heard an english VA do a young girl voice well. Since most anime characters are teenage girls, this is obviously a huge problem.

Older woman and male characters are often superior dubbed, though.

youtube.com/watch?v=a8ccPr6WWhc

Lack of passion

The voice actors aren't very good and doesn't fit the characters they are supposed to represent.
Majority of dubs uses the same bunch of voice actors, which unlike the Japanese bunch never bother changing their voice.

Seiyuu have higher industry standards, the thing that they provide voices to is for their own culture and in their own language, there are a good number who are also either singers or idols at the same time. Higher profit and more lucrative career advancements.

Now, to understand why english dubs are generally shit just basically reverse everything in the above. It's bottom of the barrel, half-assed work done by novices or the washed up. On the technical side of things they have to butcher sentence flow to fit lip flaps and a lot of Japanese cultural things don't translate over well to American.

There's plenty of fine dubs, and they've gotten overall better in recent years. It's okay to prefer dubs, and in some shows it's preferable.

Panty and Stocking's is the only one I can think of where English version is objectively miles better though

not your blog, stop posting halfass "psychology" bullshit

>halfass "psychology" bullshit
It's common sense, actually, but you're kinda pathetic if that seems like psychology bullshit to you.

I just listen to Sup Forums and let them form my own opinions.

Most of the time the English VAs don't really put in effort and just say their lines deadpan and awkward.
And when they DO put in effort it seems really embarrassing and makes you realize why you wouldn't share this hobby with friends if you had any.

Endearing? No, more like silly or funny but I've been watching anime for a long time so I'm kinda used to the nips occasionally butchering the english language. Though if it's something they repeat a lot of times then it can get grating

Why are dub voice actors so much worse than the people who do voices for English language cartoons and animated movies?

I find that these days, Dubbing has gotten quite better.

If a series is relatively short and I enjoy it, i'll watch both subbed and dubbed.I enjoyed Mob Psycho's Dub from last year (Particularily Reigan, he was a blast to listen to in English), and I think Hero Aca's was acceptable (I think All Might is so much more better to listen to dubbed than subbed). However, sometimes a dub is okay, but has one character that ruins the experience. Code Geass had a decent dub, but Shirley, a really likable character in the sub, ended up with a bad VA in the dub, and her character suffered immensely

Because those are seen as legitimate productions, so you get actual actors like Mark Hamill and Tim Daly.
Anime dubbing is low effort because companies like Funimation are typically working with a smaller budget, so they get acting school rejects and pay them $20 to voice an episode.

Japanese dub industry
>the good ones are treated like fucking celebrities and thus are expected to work hard
American dub industry
>failed movie and western cartoon fucks
Guess which one will deliver the superior product on average.

I actually feel real sorry for dub actors and actresses. You try your hardest to capture these already hard to emulate characters in a language completely different to what is originally intended, usually voicing characters half your age all for everyone to say that you sound horrible and unprofessional. I dont know how they do it. Money doesnt fix ego

Lack of quality VAs
Anyone with talent will voice movies, cartoons and even games before voicing weeaboo crap

they need to take voice actors for western cartoons, and use them in dubs
they don't do this, because that costs more money than voice actors who almost exclusively do dubs

Not all of them.
>Space Dandy
>Golden Boy
>High School DxD
>PS&G

Don't pretend the reverse isn't also true.

>You try your hardest
No.

>xD
Fuck off

SJWs

they grew up Sup Forumsnon, time for you to do the same

Ten voice actors in total, zero effort, zero range on most actors

english voice actors don't really take the extra step to add more emotion into it, especially with female voice actors.

Japanese theater traditions influence anime greatly, and it's very difficult for English voice actors to try and overact in order to achieve the same effect. It's also easier to ignore the horrendous dialogue when it's being said in a language you don't understand

It's the American anime dubs that are the problem.

When they try and sound cute or angry is the absolute worst

They don't sound like they try is the problem. It's like they don't give a shit. They don't try to fit into the character, they always sound like they are just reading lines.

>implying anybody ever complains about dialogue itself
Unless it's DR3

Without your imagination as a filter you realize how awful the script is

Everyone else saying "higher industry standards" or "anime is like their hollywood" are just weeaboo faggots

>there are EOPs in this very thread

I don't know about that. All my Nihonjin Japanese teachers speak like that, and they actually want us to sound like that as well.

Bad acting, poor voice direction, compressed script, and the fact that the animation timing forces script writers to fit two sentences into one japanese sentences. Dubs have lines where people don't pause at all between sentences. Its terrible. Watch an episode of the HxH 2011 dub to see what it looks like when scripts and animation are retimed and actually sync. Its much more bearable.

VA here, it's a combination of things.

Funi dubs most of the shit that's out there and the less popular somewhat awful shit and harem garbage tends to get worse voice direction due to a lower budget for voice work, though they've started just straight up skipping dub releases for those.
As such, they churn out a script and let the worst people they have write it, then they tell us VAs to just do one or two takes for each line because more takes = more time = more money they have to pay us.

Another thing is the fact that you aren't exactly allowed to yell when dubbing shit, because it might damage the equipment. In Japan, they don't care as much about the equipment. This results in characters "talking loudly" a lot in dubs as opposed to yelling.
Also a lot of lines just straight up sound weird when translated to and spoken in english, especially shit like puns.
The more popular higher end anime like funi's simuldubs (Kekkai sensen, space dandy) are much higher quality due to having a higher budget and care for voice direction.
In some instances as well, the script is forced to be ruined in the dub as naturally, the dub is supposed to be more comfortable for english speakers and normies so many japanese jokes and pop culture references are changed (ie: the 2chan references in steins;gate being changed to Star Trek)

Oh, and the voice industry in murica is garbage compared to Japan. I can't even join a union because I'll get blacklisted by every small company and as it turns out voicing Japanese games and anime is fun. Fuck Call of Duty though that shit ruins my throat

Whats the difference between a regular dub and a 'simuldub' exactly?

Also I heard the sort of shit VA's here in the states goe through, didn't they have a strike a bit ago for better working conditions?

What characters have you voiced? I know you might be smalltime but if you're allowed to share i'm interested

Do you think the best voice actors in Japan waste their time dubbing shitty western cartoons, or do you think they give that role to some shitty rookie who will accept pay in packets of ramen noodles?

It's the same situation.

simuldubs are a rather recent thing funi started doing, where they simultaneously release dubs for the show alongside the official Japanese release, but air it on either toonami or their streaming service.

I'd tell you but I don't want anyone to know I browse this website, I'd get a lot of angry tweets.

yuri lowenthal

Which dubs did you watch?

It's not japanese

English is just a harsh sounding language. Japanese just flows better linguistically. Though other languages like Chinese and French sounds like Klingon.

Mai Waifu is a dub and I wouldn't have her any other way.

For some reason I can only stand english dubs when it's videogames
otherwise it's suffering

The fact aside that many English VAs don't seem to represent the character as well as JP VAs(although I will concede that there are good dubs out there), dub is objectively inferior as a whole because many good animes don't even have a dub, only sub, therefore dub as a concept can never be better.

>What makes english dubs so horrible?
American VA think anime are the same audience that watch Dora the Explorer and Doc mcstuffins, they make voice hilarious for pre-schoolers

Madoka have voices of drugs addicts whores (particularly Sayaka), but they dont are drugs addicts whores.

>ESL criticizing dubs

localisation?

Because dub VAs are some second tier shitters who can't get real jobs. Meanwhile Japanese voice actors are literally celebrities.

Did you actually expect anyone to believe this garbage?

because they don't need to care if they got the original seiyuus

Nice

Leldittors infested Sup Forums (mainly Sup Forums) during the US elections and now not only they are not leaving, but they are also shitting other boards

>people compalining about english dubs
>had to watch everything in italian as a little kid

Shitty direction
VAs are too shitty to actually work on cartoons or videogames, no one is even close to, let's say, Nolan North.

VA can't act for shit.
And english sounds disgusting by default.

This, and "clever" rewrites because they can't be bothered to rework a joke.

Sticking to the original script makes them horrible.

That's why panty and stocking and ghost stories are dub > sub

>during the US elections
Sure there was an influx, but they were here long before the US elections.

The hacktivist group meme that was all over the news is what really killed this site.

How is reworking different from rewriting?

Most VAs in American cartoons and video games were once dub actors, but they got the higher paying jobs because they actually had talent.

I'd like to ask a more succinct question: What made cowboy bebop's dub better than the original?

I was going to say something, but the reality is that Nolan North is wasted on his Generic Snarky Protagonist pidgeonholing.

One is taking the same intent and writing it in a way that works in the language you're translating to, the other is throwing out the joke entirely and putting some twee garbage or dated reference in instead. There's a part in one of the Lupin specials where they rewrite the whole scene to shit on Bush.

Hyouka dub is good, all except for main girls voice.

>Lupin specials

Weren't those dubbed like 10 years ago? Got any more recent examples?

Those were a minority. With the elections, the influx was huge

Does that somehow invalidate the point?

>Change the actual story by adding retarded political talking points
>no emotion or care, clearly D list "actors"
>even if one person is good, if the rest of the cast is grating it hurts
>very rarely get people who match the character/original intent and just choose the same 3 people even if the roles don't match
>American women all sound like old men not nearly cute enough

If it stopped happening 10 years ago then yeah, kinda.

Maid-Dragon's SJW shilling?

>union
Great for the worker, until their is no work because the companies don't want to deal with the union.

Who said it stopped? I was asked for clarification, which I gave along with an example, I don't recall acting as though that's the only example. In fact, rewrites have become more of a plague in almost all respects, just look at what Nintendo allowed to be done to Fire Emblem.

Using the word "patriarchal" is not SJW shilling any more than this

a.pomf.cat/kegmnd.webm

by the same writer is Sup Forums shilling.

Remember Ghost Story or Excel Saga? I bet you don't you upstart originalfag.

>>>/tumblr/

Different show and different writer. The fuck does that have to do with the post you quoted?