Harems were so comfy back then. What happened?

Harems were so comfy back then. What happened?

Isekai

I've been on that kick lately. Late nineties to mid aughts harems were truly the pinnacle of anime.

was this shit any good?, I never se it mentioned here.

this was a comfy harem

Around what time did harems become shit?

this

Maybe in 100 years once Japan has organized the entire isekai realm into comfy harem structures, the harems of the 2000s can return

At the beginning.

I don't really watch much in the genre, what exactly is un-comfy about modern harem? Are they too serious? Too lewd? Too competitive? Too by-the-book?

First off, modern harems are too accepting. They fall in love with the MC for seemingly no reason. It doesn't matter how bad the MC's moral compass is, or how much stupid shit he does, the women will just throw themselves at him and are instantly dedicated to him eternally, to the point of complete subservience. Total unrealistic wish fulfillment bullshit.

Additionally, many authors just pick random archetypes for the various girls instead of giving them any actual personality or character development. There also seems to be a push for "quantity over quality", which is the most annoying of all. Remember back when "harem" meant just a few core girls who were well developed and were deeply connected to the MC over the course of the story? Those were the days.

I think the basic difference is that earlier harem stories accepted that the harem premise is unrealistic and tried to depict what somewhat realistic girls might do in that situation. Not being very into the MC, having to be won over by even more unrealistic feats of bravado and virtue from the MC, etc.

More recent harems just kind of accept the harem premise as given, but there's just not as much to work with from there because let's face it, once you have girls already accepting being in an actual fucking harem, the entire romantic tension of the situation is pretty much gone

This show was shit and you know it.

I cannot watch harem at all because relationships never get anywhere. It's always stuck in this 'we know we want to fuck, but we pretend we don't know' bullshit. Doesn't help that the MC freaks out every time he has a chance to go for it, because girls are sooooo scary.

Really, it's almost the same for every goddamn series. It always has this dumb open ending.

They were shit back then as well.

They still are. You just got old.

Harems can still be comfy.

That aired over three years ago though.

Just watch/read hentai.

Magic school battle harems happened, Isekai also happened at some point and then industry pandery happened (histories about mangaka, otaku neets, LN authors...).

I also miss harem old style.

harems were never good

They didn't need to be good

>amaenaideyo
Holy fucking shit I can't believe I forgot about this. I dunno how I ended up with the DVDs but god damn this being my first introduction to ecchi outside of the hentai ovas that were popular like violence jack and urotsukidoki.
MUH TEEN DICK

>First off, modern harems are too accepting. They fall in love with the MC for seemingly no reason.
This. It ruins the whole experience if the MC doesn't have to at least make some effort

k on

I hated that the end of the manga was completely open without any closure at all. Either pick a girl, two girls, harem end or none, but at least pick a damn end!

Love Hina