Will Sup Forums get an Oscar now?

Now that Pixar is in problems because of Lasseter, which movie will you root for?

Other urls found in this thread:

cartoonbrew.com/award-season-focus/proof-that-oscar-voters-are-clueless-about-animation-109456.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

A Silent Voice was better than Your Name, but received ZERO attention from japanese critics.

So it should win just to blow them the fuck out.

In This Corner. Great film.

Hate to burst your bubble but Oscars for animated films are bought and paid for by Disney. Coco (Which actually looks like a great movie from a creative standpoint) or something will still win.

This. This shit is rigged to no end, they usually don't even watch the anime, the jury is pants on head retarded.
I am too lazy to search for that link again but it gets posted every year and basically confirms the jury doesn't care enough about cartoons to watch all the BDs and just vote the shit that is the most popular in the west, which is always some CGI pixar crap.

Loving Vincent deserves the win. Even hardcore weeaboos cannot deny this one.

Haven't seen Silent Voice, but In This Corner stands out as the only movie I've seen yet where the protagonist reacts loudly and angrily to the news that World War 2 is ending. Maybe that happens in all the other Japanese-made period movies set around that time, but it was new to me.

this counts as animated movie?

Coco will win the trophies
Your examples are not "family friendly" as the animated category works, sadly, now.

In this Corner.
Liked the Silent Voice manga but the movie wasn't good IMO.
I googled that to shit on you because I hate all these "family friendly" CGI and expected it to be one but I have to agree now that this looks pretty great and I didn't know the West even actually animates stuff in this day and age. At least not movies.
It will lose to Pixar/Disney or Dreamwerks though so don't get your hopes up.

>Loving Vincent
I really didn't like this one, the gimmick gets old fast

The only anime movies who have a realistic chances at the oscars are Ghibli ones.
Those two won't even get nominated.

As a Kyoanus licker I'm at least happy that Fireflops completely bombed at the box office and received horrible reviews, I couldn't care less for the Oscares as long as SHAFT knows its place.

What was so bad about it? Haven't seen it yet.
I barely ever like Shaft stuff or Kyoani though.

Say what you want about KnK, but it has one of the most realistic depictions of bullying I've seen

In this Corner is incredibly overrated.

Every Oscar thread:

cartoonbrew.com/award-season-focus/proof-that-oscar-voters-are-clueless-about-animation-109456.html

It's literally just 2 hours of beautifully animated firreworks
Also i'm lying

The Oscars for animation are a complete shitshow.

I remember a few years back I read the judges comments and they're all fucking awful. They don't even bother watching all the movies.
Look at this fucking shit, how do they even find these people and make them judges?

I think it is. It it a touch of being boring at times and significant events were never shown. I think showing her arm and kid dying would have have great to stress the horrors of war finally catching up to her. My general opinion is, if there were not already a dozen or WW2 anime movies of common Japanese ravaged by war, yes, it would deserve an Oscar. My pick would be Koe no Katachi because there are hardly any movies about (mostly) non-physical bullying and the harm it could do. Basically, I chose the one that has a stronger message.

read

Voter #5: I only watch the ones that my kid wants to see, so I didn’t see [The] Boxtrolls but I saw Big Hero 6 and I saw [How to Train Your] Dragon [2]. We both connected to Big Hero 6 — I just found it to be more satisfying. The biggest snub for me was Chris Miller and Phil Lord not getting in for [The] Lego [Movie]. When a movie is that successful and culturally hits all the right chords and does that kind of box-office — for that movie not to be in over these two obscure freakin’ Chinese fuckin’ things that nobody ever freakin’ saw [an apparent reference to the Japanese film The Tale of the Princess Kaguya, as well as the Irish film Song of the Sea]? That is my biggest bitch. Most people didn’t even know what they were! How does that happen? That, to me, is the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever seen.
MY VOTE: Big Hero 6

A Silent Voice just came out way too close to Your Name, so it got highly overshadowed. It's a real shame.

No Oscars allowed for anime unless it's made by Miyazaki-sama

If MEMEME! didn't got an oscar then nothing will.

Kono Sekai was great. Probably the best Japanese war time film I've ever seen. Totally deserves an Oscar. A Silent Voice was good but it still seems too otaku and teen oriented to get the award.

That really stood out to me as well.
>tfw no jap imperialist gf ready to die for her country

I really hate nukes. The fact that more Americans and Japanese would have died without them is sad to me, and maybe the world would have ended up worse, but I wish Japan got the opportunity to end the war on even terms with conventional weapons.

>Beautifully

It's mostly CGI, aside from a couple shots the movie is very badly animated

It literally doesn’t matter how good the movie is, if it isn’t some Disney released Ghibli film it will get 0% attention. It’ll be Disney/Pixar no matter what since the voters don’t care about animation and only pick what their kid watches that year.

Japan would have gotten raped by the soviets and split in half like Korea

>I pick movies based on their message and not on the actual quality of the movie itself

>imperialist gf ready to die for her country
You totally missed the point. Completely.

She wasn't "imperialist" or ready to die for her country. She was angry because of the sacrifices she made, the sacrifices the whole town and its inhabitants made. She lost her arm, home city, her new home, her parents, her niece, her friends and expected her childhood to die. When bombs are falling on your head every day and all these sacrifices are pilling up you can't just sit here and have the leaders of the nation tell you in one short sentence that it's over and all these people died for nothing. It has nothing to do with any political ideology or nationalism.

A crowdfunded movie with literally no marketing budget that had 1/5th of its original story cut out due to lack of funds and was originally only shown in 68 theaters wins almost 2.5x as many awards as the 4th highest grossing foreign film of all time. Good job Shinkai
not the same Sup Forumsnon but he was praising it because there WASN'T an "imperialist gf ready to die for her country"

English isn't your first language isn't it.
When said >tfw no jap imperialist gf, he was mourning the fact that he doesn't have an imperialist japanese gf, not praising the fact that he doesn't have one.

Just started watching this.

What the fuck she's like a cute little grandma.

It's boring and overlong

>he thinks the academy watches obscure japanese cartoons for nerds and children

How is Silent Voice otaku? If anything Your Name is the most otaku film of the three and look at how popular that is.

Yes, user. Sup Forums will get an oscar and we will feel so honored to finally have anime acknowledged in the west as an art.

This are casuals in a nutshell.
>I don't know anything but this one series but I know it's the best series in the world!

>tfw no jap imperialist gf ready to die for her country
About that.

neither will be nominated
Mary and the witches flower might get nominated but I dunno what the window for that is or when it opens
Loving vincent should win but they might also give it to Coco just because Disney

>Now that Pixar is in problems because of Lasseter

Honestly what happened? Another sex report?

yeah he inappropriately hugged someone and had to make a public statement then resign

This. It actually got emotional response from me, Your Name didn't, not even the reunion meeting at the end didn't do it for me. Decent film though.

100% wrong you dumb fuck. Its the yamato damashii.

I remember reading a quote that the Oscar critics said that "two random fucking Chinese films no one cares about" got nominated and how wrong it was. So don't expect either of them to win

Too bad it will receive the same fate as Your Nomination.

those quotes are from academy members who vote on nominations

A Silent Voice would be Oscar bait if it were live action, but none of them will ever watch it

Yes that it. Very sad to see

I'm glad there's no such thing as political correctness and sexual misconduct in japan

I'm ashamed to be a westerner

Had to dry my eyes. Powerful stuff.

At least #2 and #7 had the good sense to abstain because they know they weren't qualified to vote just because they sat through Frozen with their kids.

The people that vote for the Oscars are in their 60s. They aren't going to vote for a teen drama.
The Red Turtle over Your Name for the same reason.

Princess Kaguya wasn't Miyazaki

>sexual misconduct
>he doesn't know

That's what Toho gets for dropping it in Shaft's lap at almost the last minute.

ask Yamakan about it

KnK broke me Sup Forums. Bullying hurts me to this day.