Which one was better?

strawpoll.me/14463654

also why

Other urls found in this thread:

fictionpress.com/s/3206139
youtube.com/watch?v=OpwXATNGUsQ
youtube.com/watch?v=-OB2tdu1AZc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

They're very different so it's hard to compare them. One was a flashy supernatural romance and thriller, the other was a grounded drama. One focused on creating stunning visuals using detailed backgrounds and lighting, the other focused on creating realistic and endearing character animation. Neither were flawless, but both did an excellent job in what they set out to do. I hate that they will always be compared even though they don't deserve to be just because they came out in the same year.

I don't get why people compare them

KnnW but they are both good as is in this corner of the world

Both were kinda disappointing. I'd still choose Koe no Katachi because the pacing in Kimi no Na Wa is beyond saving.

they are both teenage love stories with something sad happening in them, and they were both very much above average visually
also yes they both came out at a similar time

Both are good but Koe no Katachi smacked my feels around a lot more especially with all the suicidal moments
But it loses a few points for having an ambiguous ending with no handholding

Katawa Shoujo > Keit-Ai

Your Name is better. It's cliché but characters acted more realistic than KnK characters.

I watched KnK last weekend and thought it would be a romance movie between two leads. I liked the movie but didn't understand why did they hang out with Ueno (black haired girl) even though I did understand why she kept harrassing the lead. People like that are way too toxic to have around and it just stresses you and they create unnecessary drama for everyone.

One is a realistic, divisive drama with flawed characters with subject matter that not everyone is going to empathize with, presented in a way that not everybody is going to understand. Not to mention it requires some analysis to understand.
The other is an idealist spectacle tailored to be massively appealing to as many people as possible. You can watch it once and understand every detail since there isn't much to read between the lines.

It's pointless to compare the two. It's like comparing Nietzsche's Genealogy of Morals to Harry Potter.

Both great but i'd probably give the edge to kimi no, wasn't huge on the endings of both, but the knk end just seemed to appear outta nowhere.
I assume the characters are much more fleshed out in the manga, just going by the film their relationships/interactions just feel so janky and unrealistic. Definitely hurt the end payoff scene imo.
also no romantic hint, what the fug
Certainly would have worked better as a series I reckon.

Kimi no Na Wa is a nice original, KnK is a fucked up adaptation of good manga

Story-wise I can understand Your Name fans to an extent, but I prefer to the more thoughtful and challenging narrative in Silent Voice. Yamada's visual language is far stronger, and she doesn't hold back here. Strong layouts with clever editing, visual metaphor and cutting-edge digital technique. Not that Your Name lacks any of those, but my personal preference leans heavily towards Koe no Katachi. In terms of animation, Your Name is without question the more technically adept of the two. But outside of the abstract sake trip scene I find it largely uninspired. Koe no Katachi is far more interesting in terms of animation, to me, due largely to Nishiya's brilliant character designs. Bridging the gap between Horiguchi-style and later, more realistic Kyoani, they move softly, both delicate and provocative. Just a pleasure to see in movement. And while overall the movie moves less, I'd argue it's never bad, and no scene is ever brought down by a lack of full animation. The great character acting was enhanced by the voice talent; I was particularly impressed by Saori Hayami's performance. Ushio's soundtrack work is transcendental and Koe no Katachi is likely one of the best anime of all time in that regard. If anyone hasn't seen the Inner Silence cut of the film, it's quite the experience.

I prefer Koe no Katachi.
Your name is kind of cliché and skipped a lot of development in the middle that made me care less about the couple. KnK is more grounded in reality and developed the characters (the main one especially) in a believable way.
When it comes to the visuals they are both excellent, but maybe Your Name comes out slightly on top.

Nice blowjob, 9/10
t. Kyoani

Is this even a question? One is the most selling anime of all time and also have saved anime.

>I assume the characters are much more fleshed out in the manga
nope and the romance doesn't go anywhere either, I suspect it was something the author tried to setup but ditched it after a couple of chapters

The one with Ueno because it has Ueno.

he's right tho
he uses so many buzzwords and he might not even know what he's talking about, but he's right
>KnNW sold more so it's better
>also avatar is the highest grossing movie of all time, hence it's the best movie
fucking salesfags I swear

Stop posting that because it's already a thing.

fictionpress.com/s/3206139

Keit-Ai. Because memes.

Because Koe no Katachi is literally the most forgettable film so KyoAni fags have to insist it's better than Kimi no Na wa to give it some actual validation

is it better to have shit reasons for being right or to have very good reasons for being wrong?
mind elaborating on that, also not to sound like you're the one without any argument?

Bad plot progression, retarded 'artsy' camera effects in every scene, no actual interesting emotional resolution...

Half the plot gets cut out from the manga so there's no genuine character development. The only thing worth writing home about would be the art quality, but it was so overwhelmed with cinematic after effects that the animation itself doesn't stand out at all.

Not the worst movie ever made, but completely average, and there's a good reason you almost never hear people bring up KnK without insistently saying "it was better than KnNw"

At least act like you've watched the movie before you construct your bait.

Your Name

Kyoani shillbots really really wanted KnK to be the best animated thing of 2016 and failed drastically so now they need to shit on KnNW as though it was worse.

>how do you like your KnK manga adaptation
>just cut my shit out sempai
>say no more

I love em both. KnK broke me.

What's the context for this page?

Pretty sure it's the night after the hospital scene. When Yuzuru takes down the photos. Shoko is contemplating what to do next.

FACT:
apples > oranges
only a retard would disagree

You can't suck an apple

>one has a happy ending
>the other just kind of ends at a random spot after dealing with some stuff

>Bad plot progression
>retarded 'artsy' camera effects
>no genuine character development
so it's bad because you read somewhere that KyoAni is bad in general and these were the reasons?

I WOULD HATEFUCK UENO SO HARD SHE'D END UP IN A WHEELCHAIR FOR A WHILE AND BOND WITH SHOKO OUT OF A SENSE OF CRIPLENESS CAMARADERIE

Shoko is thinking about how happy her life could have been if she wasn't deaf.

see

the question was which movie is better, not whether the KnK manga is better than the movie

Only one can find a way.

I agree, KnK ends after meaningful character bonding and people maturing and even Ueno getting closer to being a half decent person, KnNW on the other hand just ends on a random stairwell when they, who knows how, recognize each other

I didn't dislike either one, but I liked Your Name more as a movie, but Silent Voice manga is the best one.
I did like SV movie but it left out many good character arcs from the manga, for obvious reasons, I'm not arguing that the adaptation should be 100% accurate, but the side characters were just pointless because of the changes and it was so rushed in everything. It would've benefited from more drastic changes. I'll rather just read the manga.

>KnK ends after meaningful character bonding and people maturing and even Ueno getting closer to being a half decent person
It just ends halfway through and leaves a lot of plotpoints unresolved

>the side characters were just pointless
idk user. Every time someone tries to show me character development in the manga, it was in the movie. Any subtle changes were to make the characters more realistic, like Ishida's reasoning to bully Shouko in the first place.

>It just ends halfway through and leaves a lot of plotpoints unresolved
like what?

>like what?
Like the whole romance stuff?

Careful arguing with sourcefags, it's very difficult to sway them that the adaptation didn't need to be a scene for scene perfect copy to still do it's job. t. western sourcefag who is dreading WoT.

>Like the whole romance stuff?
That was part of Shouko's attempts to pry Ishida out of his shell, it wasn't a plot thread on it's own. She tries to act like a normal person so Ishida would let his guard down and stop shutting her out. The scene just before it was when Ueno met with Shouko for the first time since elementary school. Ishida was clearly bothered by it but wouldn't talk to Shouko about it, prompting her usual sad smile.

Fully resolved by the night bridge scene after Ishida wakes up.

It depends what the criteria is. For a good film story I would go KnK but YN beats it on visuals/OST/Animation and most other things, I voted KnK anyway but both are amazing.

YN ending just felt so rushed, I wasn't a fan.

>no kiss in either film

They're both shit

What would have happened if she said "I love you" instead of "I love moo"

the criteria is which one is better, overall
this bothered me much more in KnNW
in KnK they don't kiss but they hug and cry together on an empty bridge in the middle of the night
in KnNW the lewdest thing is taki drinking mitsuha's sake, they don't even hold hands ffs
after all that they should have at least hugged each other after the sake trip and they don't even hold hands

I liked Kimi no na wa better more because I could relate to it. Koe no katachi was good, but his actions at the beginning pissed me off. Plus, it doesn't help the copy I have has some shitty subtitle work that looks as if someone ran it all through Google Translate and called it a day. I can't seem to find a better version, either.

His picture isnt referring to revenue, though. Its referring to critical acclaim. In this corner hardly made any money, yet its the most recognized of the three. Knnw simply is a significantly better movie than KnK. The fact that it sold more is just a nice bonus.

>54%
Sup Forums finally got some taste.

I wanna fuck the fat guy.

Left easily

Right easily.

>Koe no Katachi
>Love story
Are you serious?

I'm pissed I missed the North American release for A Silent Voice.

>what is the Roche limit

They both came out at the same time

Hello, I'm Japanese and a failure. I think I'll kill myself.

>also why
Because fuck kyoani.
That's why.

Implying she wasn't in the shell herself. That's why she didn't use sign language to express her love towards moon. You're right that this whole scene happened because of Ueno, but I don't think Shoya closeness was the reason, it's way more simple, since Shoya didn't explain anything and just run off, Shoko got the wrong idea about two, even Yuzuru figured it out and asked Shoya directly if he is going out with Ueno. Shoko is a bit afraid of losing Shoya and she is too scared to ask questions, at that point she realized she cares for him more than just as a friend. Shoko decided to avoid Shoya for now, making up story with pain in her stomach, pain is actually in her chest but then the phone message with explanations comes through and Shoko understand that this is the time to take a stand before it's way too late, but she fails miserably of course.
Feeling you on this one, Shoya, stay strong though.

CHOO CHOO TRAIN COMING THROUGH

WOOO WOOOOOOO

>Implying she wasn't in the shell herself.
Well yeah, that's like half the movie. She's too afraid to speak her true voice. She hesitates to pry into Ishida's troubles, she gets chided for saying sorry all the time by Ueno because she apologizes instead of directly expressing herself.

>Shoko got the wrong idea about two, even Yuzuru figured it out and asked Shoya directly if he is going out with Ueno.
I don't think that happened in the movie, and I don't remember the manga much. Even in the movie, it wouldn't be wrong to say that Shouko felt at least threatened by Ueno, but that fits under my claim that Shouko only acted like that and confessed in an attempt to get closer with Ishida. Ishida always keeps Shouko at arm's length and it upsets her a lot.

You Name ended up being a lot more boring than I expected from reviews, all flash and no substance. The characters were flat, I couldn't tell you anything about them other than that the main girl - actually, does cutting your hair even count as a character trait? Never mind. The plot started out good but the climax was stupid.

Koe no Katachi was about 7.5/10, it did most things right but not in a very impressive way - at least it was a good movie and not a disappointment.

Koe no katachi went too fast.
If they took some more time actually explaining what these characters were going through it would've been a lot better.
Half the time you were left wondering why these characters acted the way they did.
Take the suicide scene for instance, literally made no sense whatsoever

Funny. I didn't like YN because I couldn't relate to anything in it, both protagonists have cardboard for personality.

I could relate to KnK since I used to have depression myself.

KnK was a movie pretending to be about a deaf girl while it was actually about the male lead's depression. His suicide attempt makes perfect sense if you consider that.

My bad forgot the MC also tried commiting suicide at the beginning, I meant the deaf girl's attempt.

>Take the suicide scene for instance, literally made no sense whatsoever
Dude she literally explains it during the bridge scene after Ishida wakes up

Try watching it again, only paying attention this time.

KnK was better but Your Name was more enjoyable.

> not expecting all flash and no substance
You weren't expecting a makoto shinkai movie m8

>Shouko only acted like that and confessed in an attempt to get closer with Ishida.
And that's why everyone hates kyoanifags. They always try to find DEEP meaning in everything and go through extremely complex mental gymnastics when someone calls their show plain and simple. KnK is extremely straightforward with what it's trying to say. Like for example those crosses on people faces on people faces which fell off when Ishida opens his heart to others. This way even the most brain dead retards would be able to understand when MC becomes closer to others or he moves in the opposite direction. They follow similar pattern of explaining everything and using the most obvious symbolism during the whole show

Now about Shouko. Shouko confessed because she loved him. It's that fucking simple. And later kyoani simply decided to not develop this romance plot line any further.

The suicide attempts made perfect sense, but that doesnt change the fact that the movie is complete bin tier anyway with atrocious pacing, a cardboard cut-out side cast and a high focus on "shock value", which made it incredibly cheap and ultimately bland. Its bad, plain and simple and its only upside is its art direction (which looks incredibly bland to anyone who has a watched a couple KyoAni shows as well)

And don't even get me started on the shitty forced melodrama that knk loves so much.
How anyone can take that movie serious is beyond me.

I thought he was getting better

They both suck

He is. He is the "new miyazaki"

He has a Japanese waifu and probably understands the language better than most anons on this board. What's your excuse?

KnK won the two big ones though, while KnNw just only won the weeb awards.

>what's your excuse?
that anime isn't real

Then why did Shouko put her hair into a ponytail, and try to talk like a normal person?

I watched them in the cinema on the same week and liked KnK more, even with the shit they left out from the manga.

calm down autist

I think we need a true professional to sort this out
youtube.com/watch?v=OpwXATNGUsQ
youtube.com/watch?v=-OB2tdu1AZc

Didn't really like the old one too much desu

Because that's how confession is made. People say "I love you". And later she couldn't clear the misunderstanding with signs because of extreme embarrassment.

Why do retards believe I need any emotion to call other people retards on the internet?

I mean, it's a pretty fair reading of that scene which he contextualized within the overall narrative, and you don't exactly have anything to say that contradicts. You can't just say deep in all caps to discredit things you don't agree with.

Opinion of one "professional" is worthless in modern world. That's why everyone don't subscribe to blogs anymore or visit sites dedicated to movie reviews. People just go straight to metacritic or rotten tomatoes and check aggregated score. So one critic is simply 1/20th, 1/50th or 1/100th of that score. Nothing more.

Don't act like a retard, you are what you hate.

What does that mean?

I don't know, neither movie truly impressed me. I guess I'll go with KnNW because at least it didn't actively irritate me at times like KnK did.

Koe no Katachi was honestly the most relatable piece of media I have ever experienced.
It was uncanny how much I saw myself in Ishida, especially his self-ostracization and anxiety.

>modern world. That's why everyone don't subscribe to blogs anymore or visit sites dedicated to movie reviews. People just go straight to metacritic or rotten tomatoes and check aggregated score. So one critic is simply 1/20th, 1/50th or 1/100th of that score. Nothing more.
Oh boy I really want a BBC 1 review of Dragon Maid.

It's the opposite, where aggregates have become useless since everyone's voice is heard whether it ought to be or not.