Pseudo-intellectual shitstorm incoming

The University of Wisconsin is dropping over a dozen useless meme degrees in humanities and social sciences in favor of expanding degree programs with "clear career pathways". Liberals everywhere are flipping their shit, and chief amongst them of course, is Reddit.

washingtonpost.com/news/answer-sheet/wp/2018/03/21/university-of-wisconsin-campus-pushes-plan-to-drop-13-majors-including-english-history-and-philosophy/?utm_term=.8e301e6d284e

Attached: 20180323_131250.png (1440x2373, 482K)

kek. /ourworld/ now.

>"we are literally dropping...."

When the next Reich is established, can we please set up a death camp exclusively for people who overuse the word "literally" ?

Attached: you fucking idiots.jpg (306x306, 65K)

do you need to do a degree in philosophy to learn about philosophy? can't you just read about it?

literally kys

Awful, truly awful.
More importantly:
>walk in
>see this
Wut do?

Attached: 1521130131324.jpg (768x1024, 90K)

>philosophy
>pursuit of truth
Spurious factoid at best.The
>this is what I think therefore its the truth I'm a philosophy major you can't argue with me because you're not I'm right so there - t. Reddit nigger

>plebbut
>meme school
>claims it's the entire state system doing it
kys faggot

Attached: 1520475125136.gif (480x600, 85K)

>If you consider philosophy less valuable than marketing I don't even know what I say to you.
You would think someone who knew the importance of philosophy would actually be able to mount a solid argument for why philosophy is needed.
>this is the fallacy fallacy
Sure, but it does point to the actual education being worthless, not philosophy as a field itself.

You don’t need a business degree to push paper at an office. You don’t need a degree for most jobs. Higher ed is a scam and normies are waking up because it’s hitting their pocketbook. The same will happen in overall society. People have noticed that society is collapsing because it hasn’t hit their pocketbook yet... once they start struggling to pay for things, they’ll freak out.

Find a blanket to keep Lauren comfy.

Now the Bernie supporters will fuck off to Minnesota or Chicago and Wisconsin will turn a solid Red.

Philosophy is a legitimately important study, but it's something that should be taught in elementary school, not college.

This.

Universities have nothing to do with learning or intellectualism. They are probably the least philosophical places at this point.

>there is no truth to be found in marketing
LMAO to the Nth Degree

Go Joe Biden on her ass

>threatening to beat her up
Faggot.

Attached: bptl14m94tl01.jpg (400x400, 18K)

feed eggs

how is "fire science" not Chemistry
also marketing is a meme, i'm very sorry for you laddies, people that fall for stupid ads on tv should also be put down

This is going to start happening at a large scale for universities. A lot of funding is being cut from state schools 6.5% budget cut for the university I work for, which happens to be the largest in state. They have meme degrees like internation studies focus on middle east. I actually met a girl who graduated with that degree 3 years ago. She's still delivering pizza kek.

I knew plenty of philosophy majors in college.

Every single one of them went to law school.

Humanities are important but there are clearly too many studing it.

Philosophy is one of the most diverse fields intellectually-speaking. The essentials of deductive reasoning and symbolic logic are foundational for all thinking, the kind of stuff that really teaches a person how to think. The classics are great for their immense cultural and historical significance to all Western thought, and exposure to different kinds of philosophy, even shit philosophy like Marxism, is useful to teach people how to evaluate arguments.

Then you have your bottom-of-the-barrel deconstructionist horseshit that even leftists like Chomsky will attack and an endless echochamber of "Well we don't really know anything so therefore I'm right".

Philosophy is important though......I agree things like gender studies and others are not.

This is a bad thing. Currently many leftists get degrees in these worthless categories and then spend the rest of their lives unemployed and essentially irrelevant. Why would we celebrate the dissolution of this self marginalizing mechanism? So we really want leftists with real jobs trying to poison other people's minds?

Who /literally/ here?

Most of the humanities departments need a purge anyway.

>if you believe x then i dont even know what to say to you
What a pathetic retard

desu college isn't supposed to be a trade school

Yeah anything with " studies" should have been cut first

There should always be an elite educated in the humanities. There is a big difference in reading about history or philosophy and being an expert in the field.

the issue with humanities is that the bad just aint high enough, especially with philosophy.

if you were to raise the complexity and diffuculty of the course significantly then it may be a viable alternative to STEM

that being said philosophy is vital, i’m so grateful i did it in high school, best decision i ever made.

True.

Make college exclusive again.

Have schools within it be essentially trade work. Give loans to these schools and let the college be nearly a separate entity

they're upset they won't have as many indoctrination classes

shit
*bar just aint high enough

They shouldn't be removed but student aid and loans should be unavailable to people who pursue such studies.

>low demand for meme degrees
>college suggests dropping meme degrees
>"REEEEEEEE MUH MEME DEGREES"
>"Everyone else's tuition should be higher because my degree is not profitable for the college!"

humanities are basically just an incubator for the next generation of leftist activists nowadays. It makes sense for a serious Republican to purge them. If I was President I would probably abolish college athletics and make a law dictating how much money colleges are allowed to spend on administration.

put a ring on it

Make the pursuit of the study available to the gi bill free and encouraged. Having citizen soldiers learning humanities would be a boon versus the limp dicked soys that gravitate there as a default

>You would think someone who knew the importance of philosophy would actually be able to mount a solid argument for why philosophy is needed.
The acceptance of said argument is necessarily predicated on prior choices and conditional factors.

At least insofar as an argument about the importance of philosophy qua philosophy, rather than say the tangential economic utility of being trained in critical thinking, I would argue only those who intuitively grasp the importance of philosophy at some level could be persuaded by such an argument to begin with.

this is stupid desu. universities shouldn't base their programs solely on what gets jobs. isn't that what trade schools are for?

where do you go for a proper classical education now?

>teaching Heidegger in elementary school, not college
K.

I think there needs to be a total divergence between STEM school and universities teaching humanities. Humanities schools should be extremely expensive and reserved for the elite.

Philosophy is usefull, yet universities are not teaching people how to think but what to think. And you don´t need 5 years for that.

Good point. SoD Mattis graduated from university with a BA degree on history

Lol, depending on your University your basketball/football program is what brings in many millions of dollars. College athletics is one of the oldest traditions in college. In fact, they should require that able bodied student participate in athletics to learn the importance of dedication, team work, and pushing your physical limits to achieve success. That kind of exercise is important for building a young mind as well.

I hate how people associate stem/business degrees with trade schools.

Are places like stanford or MIT trade schools? In every country one of the top 3 schools is stem/business based.

Clasical education is something like ppe at Oxford. It should be elite and hard to get into. Not watered down shit like rap studies

The problem is that universities aren't as exclusive as they used to be and people that shouldn't be there start picking degrees with low job prospects while also getting loans.

>dropping the English degree
Fucking finally. English departments in universities are so up their own ass or having a completely useless degree.

So what does a philosophiser actually do these days?

ARE YOU EXPECTING ME TO STUDY PHILOSOPHY WITHOUT THE TITLE I CAN USE TO TRUMP CARD HOW WOKE I AM?

>implying these meme degrees aren't profitable

lol

>attract a bunch of people with mediocre intelligence who think they need a degree
>offer them a course that takes almost no effort to teach
>charge them fat stacks of cash

You think there's more people taking good degrees than there are taking meme degrees?

Universities should neither be for career or for women/minorities. It should be for the cream of the crop, and that means like 10000 graduates a year nationwide. It should be limited to things like mathematics, law (not lawyer), philosophy, religion, history, and other pure academics. We then need specialized career-centric institutions to take over after high school, ones for science, medicine, engineering, and other fields for SMART people (not women and minorities). Then the rest can sort themselves out without tax payer dollars and figure out a career after high school.

>So what does a philosophiser actually do these days?

Ask not whether you want fries with that, but WHY you want fries with that.

philosophy, literature, history, and liberal arts are only a meme because they accept every 90 iq moron

they used to be respectable. but in all honesty degrees like accounting and engineering and business which are necessary for the economy should probably be tuition free

the education system is trash desu

Only if I am allowed to execute anyone using the term "ironic" in any manner whatsoever. I used to love the word, because it meant something extremely rare, something to be highly treasured. Now I just want to eradicate it and anyone using it.

if nothing else, philosophy teaches you the malleability of human language

Anyone who is interested in philosophy can read the books, for free, on their kindle. Those classes are nothing but Marxists indoctrination camps funded by tax dollars.
The University long ago stopped being about the education of the 1% and are now nothing more then glorified high schools. Let it all burn and those of us that care will save the scraps from the ashes.

Attached: 1513218042876.jpg (530x502, 29K)

play adams family music kneel in front of her and click my fingers to the finger clicking part so she awakes to that

>internation studies focus on middle east

Those degrees are on deck boxes for Policy School. But policy schools are hard to get into. No surprise a pizza delivering CC rider wouldn't make the cut.

Seriously, what the heck is "Fire Science"? Is this a normal degree that people pay out the ass to study in the Land of the Free?

or anything.

it's probably something related to firefighting and pyrotechnics I imagine it's quite technical

Attached: 2CAB63FE-E8A9-42FE-BDAB-EAA365E05712.png (352x438, 75K)

I studied philosophy for 4 years. I don't regret it, but as a degree it's basically useless.

Everyone needs to read more, though. I try to get my friends interested in reading philosophy, since they all acknowledge its virtues, but no one even tries to get beyond the wiki article. Sad.

>including-english-history-and-philosophy
I've never studied philosophy outside of getting in a wikipedia rabbit hole, so I can't account for how good or bad it may be... I did study English and history in higher education though, and found them pretty fulfilling. Maybe it's different in America but I learned about History and English in those classes and it's been genuinely useful. Well, it was useful somewhat, I didn't do too well at history in the end but to this day I'm shocked at the degradation of English in the hands/mouths of everyone around me. I'm surprised to see no one here kicking up a fuss about that. These classes shouldn't be dropped, they should be revitalised.

Yes goy make sure to do a business or accountancy degree to work for Goldstein Corp. Do you like our grey, glass offices? Very good, this desk with two screens to stare at for 10 hours a day will be your life now! Thanks for the profits hahaha!

>Seriously, what the heck is "Fire Science"?

It's a legit field. It's the difference between knowing that all fire started and burned the floor, killing three people or thinking that a husband murdered his wife and children and then giving him the death penalty.

Good ones are world leaders or psychologists or something, meme ones are baristas

>conservation law enforment
>Sir, you are under arrest for not conserving your momentum
That's pretty cool, I wish we had your cops. We'd have less black people too.

idk why but i'm very attracted to this and everything about it.

there's just some charm about the shitty shag carpeting, blueish grey walls, and the smell of cheap air freshener and perfume in the air.

Shitty 80's office life is actually comfy, minus the Jewry part.

I read it in my spare time, working on Evola at the moment, I will be your friend finbro. But sadly I know how you feel. In real life I am completely disconnected from people. Oh well I will always have my collection of dead people, and Sup Forums
Yes I know there is lesson from Nietzsche and surrounding yourself with the dead, at least I think that applied to books but I may be a brainlet, but I am not yet ready to leave their company and venture into the real world.

Attached: 1514163794667.png (350x421, 28K)

I don't doubt that there are real world applications to understanding fire, but doesn't that seem a bit niche to base an entire degree around?

Kek.
University is obsolete, the only reason you go there is to get a piece of paper that tells employers you might know something relevant to the job they need doing.
People don't want to go to uni to get indoctrinated with leftism, and an increasing amount of people are deliberately not going to uni specifically to avoid leftism.
This university seems to understand the situation far better than most.

keep telling yourself that and make sure to raise your kids to believe that too--the world will always need janitors and landscapers, after all.

I'm sorry but if you think studying to learn how to sell pepsi to the young adult age demographic is more important than studying the works and thought of individuals who have made western culture what it is then you are objectively wrong and should probably be euthanized.

STEM and business degrees are valuable for keeping the economy going but they don't make for powerful, proud nations.

>Seriously, what the heck is "Fire Science"? Is this a normal degree that people pay out the ass to study in the Land of the Free?

Fire science is actually a pretty important part of the design of large buildings. You learn about how fire spreads, how different materials react to fire and how their properties change with heat, and how to design architecture to properly mitigate the spread of fire.

Maybe the folks who designed that slum tower in your country speak with someone knowledgeable in fire science.

I love you Wisconsin

Happy to hear it!

If you feel disconnected from people, surrounding yourself with books seems counterproductive. On the other hand, if you're honest with yourself you'll know when you're ready. Remember to throw away the ladder when you have climbed it.

And people who show actual promise in them. Every fuckwit is not a philosopher or an artist but he can be taught useful skills. Let the ones with promise go to the places meant for them.

Sadly our communistic system won't allow for that but maybe not for long

Ever heard of this thing called the internet?
We were studying nuclear physics when we were 12 for a giggle, you don't get that at school until you actually go study it at university. Why the delay?
The way it should be is to just educate yourself online and if you want a degree, you take a series of tests at a certified supplier.
Of course, that would mean the education industry loses a shittonne of income. (((Can't have that.)))

Office life is now being told how bad you are for being a white man and doing soul-draining "work"

I'm being ironic right the fuck now motherfucker

hehe

Now they just need to drop "social science" and "political science" and bring back civics.

Then they need to drop universities all together and teach all that in high school where kids should already know this stuff before entering the work force at 18. Secondary education post high school should be for professional development in your chosen field and that's it.

I'd love my uni to do this. It would even be good for those retards that study meme degrees, as they would not be able to take huge loans to waste on shit careers.

>When the next Reich is established,
the one you are in was established in the 1940s

There is a difference between taking a philosophy course and being a philosophy major. They are eliminating the major, not all of the courses. Good move, honestly.

Attached: 1521241253480.jpg (640x779, 77K)

Philosophy in college is for people who don't think and want to prop themselves up by memorizing quotes from talking heads of the past without knowing how to apply what they said.

If you need to go to university to learn about philosophy in the era of the internet you're probably (definitely) too fucking stupid to understand any of it anyway
If anything you would be learning much less by having somebody spoonfeed you
What a fucking idiot

Wonder if they still have Gender Studies and Postgraduate Dinduism

Having a teacher who is an expert is a good thing no matter what you're studying, if you are intent on taking it to a serious level.

When I studied philosophy our teachers were always trying to get us to debate each other. You won't learn that by reading about it, only by practice, which means you need at least another person, and preferably an expert to moderate.

certain super niche stem degrees are definitely worth it if you're willing to move around for work

mining engineering is another good example

Philosophy Degrees are fine as long as they're not being subsidized by the Government.
Same with most of the Humanities and Social Sciences

Philosophy isn't even real; it's basically like being back on the elemantary school playground and kids declaring what powers they have like force field immunity or teleportation.

desu to be able to be a true autodidact when it comes to philosophy you probably need a iq of over 160

there's no shame in studying it from a professor, it's not as trivial as it seems

>Political Science
But I like that one.

>philosophy isn't even real
What did he mean by this?