So why did people like this? It's barely half as good as anything else he's released

So why did people like this? It's barely half as good as anything else he's released.

Other urls found in this thread:

fictionpress.com/s/3206139
webtoons.com/en/challenge/keit-ai/list?title_no=36825
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Best animation for an anime to date.

It's pretty.

Because of the choo choo train.

clever twist

>implying every other Shinkai film isn't mediocre too

It got a lot of noise because it pandered to normalfags. People browsing Sup Forums obviously know better. At least, a bit better.

The best ending among all Shinkai films, which is something.

The ending was closure for the hole left in my heart after watching 5cm per Second however many years ago.

>normalfag-friendly happy ending
>legitimately good and well-executed plot twist

>if the ending isn't constantly some massive disappointment or depressing garbage it's normie

Fuck out of here faggot. 95% of all anime has shit fucking endings that no one ever wants. Kimi No Na Wa actually ended it weill for once.

So, tell us when w have to laugh. Your joke is bad though.

Its the most enjoyable out of all his works.

It found a way.

>No Cheetus
Absolute garbage

Already a thing.

fictionpress.com/s/3206139
webtoons.com/en/challenge/keit-ai/list?title_no=36825

Keit-Ai has been made into:

>a wiki
>a fanfic
>a fictionpress story
>a manga
>a meme
>a series recognized by TV Tropes
>an anime preview
>an anime episode
>an anime series
>an honest-to-goodness anime movie
>Oscar considered
>a critically acclaimed box office success in Japan
>a worldwide hit
>the no. 1 highest grossing anime film of all time
>a certified fresh movie on Rotten Tomatoes
>a live-action film

Meme magic is amazing.

Ah, that one person on Sup Forums that type out all the opinions on this board ever. I wonder if at some point i conversed with him.

why dont you give us an example of your impeccable taste then, faggot

Won’t Heaven’s Feel be better?

Just Shinkai's other films.

This story was more childish than usual, didn't have the emotional weight of his other films and at least from my perspective Garden of Words was better animated.

What's her name ?

No Shinkai film has any emotional weight

People who don't even like anime cried to 5cm per Second bait-kun.

I can't understand why. The characters are so bland that it's impossible for me to get invested in them.

I cried because I was in the same situation once. I sent a letter to my local council afterwards.

Fuck public transport.

So you need to have experienced something that happens in his movies to enjoy them?

At the least you need to have left the house once or twice.

I don't understand the meaning of this post.

Leave my thread and KYS you autistic fuck.

Ending sucked, Rest is great. I think it gets overblown by the shitters who wank off Ghibli films though.

Rude

You're forgetting the Your Name. Light novel

Garden of words make me throw up because it looked """too good""" just like hibike euphonium

It was better than 5cm/s

Not really as the other endings suck ass.

It's adorable teen bodyswapping shenanigans with a cute ending, instead of the meme downers of 5cm/s and Garden of Words. Of course people like this better instead of having Shinkai shit on you at the very end

The ending is just as unsatisfying as every other Shinkai film's endibg

ending should be permanent body swap

you mean 'twice as good'

I agree, but imo that's almost the only good thing about it, the story leaves a lot to be desired

garden of words is so much better it's not even funn

It's an ok movie, but I don't really understand why they put so many muical segments in anime movies. Are they so stuck with the formula that it wouldn't feel right to not have an OP and ED song?

Could someone tell me what the twist was, I can't remember there being a twist.

lmao how new are you to shinkai films?

The girl was already dead

It was my first, actually, but I noticed that too when watching Koe no Katachi

Visuals? Definitely
Animation? Eh, it was pretty mediocre outside of a couple scenes. Koe no Katachi was overall better in that regard.

Imagine if half of the screenings would have shown the real ending, and half of the screenings an ending where both just move on without turning back to meet each other.

THIS
that's the only reason also
the story itself is as deep as a plate

I've seen Heaven's Feel twice. Anjmation in the fight scenes are great, although the slow SOL moments in the movie had some moments where it felt like some frames were missing. I've also noticed some of the random civilians are poorly drawn as well, but those are really rare moments. Overall it does have great animation.

its not that deep, but its told well enough and is paced well. Not all animation can be as deep as Rick and Morty.

It's alright, it's not a show for people with a simple mind.

It was *so* Japanese. You'd understand if you had been to Japan, both countryside and the cities. Makes me want to go back there so much. It was a good mix of fantasy and reality.

I recognized a couple of locations in the movie where I'd been near to, like in Takayama when they were stopping at the ramen shop.

Caters to normalfags and their faggy love feelings. It's garbage, any sane user knows that.

Fuck you.

It's a good plebe filter, anyone who thinks this is anywhere close to the best Shinkai film is an absolute untermensch

what about Reddit and Memey?
apples and oranges here

The world is not fairy user, we live in a world where despicable me 3 grossed over a billion dollars and bought out Dreamworks.

>Your Name: $300mil worldwide
>Despicable me 3: $1bil worldwide
Holy shit, you're right. How did it get so big? The only recent movie I can think of that hit 1bil was Toy Story 3. Movies that deserved to hit billions and are well-loved such as Wall-E and Moana only hovered around $600mil

So it was great

>a manga
Which one?

Because memes.

That isn't a joke, either, it's just memes. Normalfags are in love with those fucking yellow things.

Daicon IV had better animation

I remember people on this board liking it a lot. They had a nice time talking about the story and timelines and shit. Of course now the reverse historians are here to say why Sup Forums always knew better than to like Shinkaishit
Great thread

*revisionist

Referring to the same 20 people who actually bothered going to see it in theaters circlejerking in the same threads over and over again as "people on this board liking it a lot" is a bit of a stretch.

>theaters
I guess no one watched the rips then. Or the chink hardsubs before that
I’m being baited aren’t I

Once it had subbed BDs threads were like this for awhile, then once that died down it was a newfag nest circlejerking it until all discussion of it halted (which is how most finished series end up, in all honesty).
Your Name got WAY more discussion when it started topping sales in Japan. Sup Forums just doesn't give a shit about the actual movie. Honestly I think Kizu was more popular than any other 2016 movie.

You just didn't understand this movie. That's all, and it's only your problem.

>Kizu was more popular
I seriously fucking doubt it.

>Kizu was more popular
I fucking knew it

Sup Forums has this weird fascination with the monogatari series. Personally I never understood it.

Bake was the second highest selling anime season of all time for years. It's not Sup Forums, it's just popular.

Of course, it's gone considerably downhill since then both quality and sales wise.

Can't speak for other movies you might be thinking of, but Your Name uses the musical segments to disorient you.

The first half hour or so of the movie is intentionally bombarding you with information at a fast pace, and sometimes with a non-intuitive order, specifically to make sure that you can't process it all in time to see the twist coming. If you had the time to really look at all of the information being thrown at you, it would become obvious that there was more to what was going on than they were saying.

>the twist
Aside from visuals and Radwimps, is the twists really all this movie had going for it?
I feel like I fucked myself by being spoiled before watching it. It made all the plot convenient amnesia and not-looking-at-calenders all the more obvious.

well
it has a quite nice story,nice VAs
also plenty of fan service

that's why

Watch kiznaiver

I'm afraid you did. I went into this movie blind the first time, and that's the way this movie really needs to be seen the first time.

What Your Name does, it does really well. But what that thing is is playing with your perceptions and expectations. That part of the movie is masterful, but its something that can be absolutely ruined if you know too much about it before you see it. Like how a good joke loses something by already knowing the punchline.

The twist was well done, and the visuals and music are obviously impressive. What I appreciate about it are the level of detail such that, much like the movie The Prestige, it stands up to multiple rewatches very well as you pick up on specific things and make connections you didn't realize before. Stuff you couldn't possibly have been on the look out for when you were first watching it.

The downside to the movie is that, by its very setup, the characters have to be thinly drawn. So much of the first part of the movie is Mitsuha and Taki not as themselves that there isn't ROOM too much complexity in their individual characters without making a mess of things, so the movie effectively has even less time than a 2 hour movie normally has to get you up to speed on them as people. I think they do a decent enough job with what they have, but the movie is what it is.

I think the people on Sup Forums that don't find anything to enjoy in Your Name are the ones that, ironically BECAUSE they consider themselves dedicated anime fans, shot themselves in the foot and spoiled themselves. There is a lot to admire about the craft that went into this movie, but you have to let the movie do its thing. Trying to get ahead of the game really does spoil it for you in the most literal sense of the word.

Who is this qt?

Yep. My younger brother, who didn't like UBW 2014 even said this movie was great, and that the action scenes blew UBW's out of the water.

You're argument makes sense. I took the movie to be this grand spectacle that plays on our inherent desires of romantic love and security in someone else. Though, you have to get swept up in the spectacle to fully enjoy it. If you don't you get lost and confused with all the emotions flying around (which is what happened to me). By spoiling myself, as you say, I denied myself being swept up into the spectacle. Since there is no real "groundedness" to the movie, I didn't really take anything meaningful out of it.

Honestly, it reminds me of Millennium Actress. Another movie that failed to sweep me up into its spectacle of film and adventure that I didn't really care for. I don't particularly care for those kind of movies in general.

And thats fine. Not everything is for everyone.

>So why did people like this? It's barely half as good as anything else he's released.

>create a movie with the advertised premise that it's a simple teenage body swap romcom
>halfway through the film change it to a disaster movie with the dichotomy of predestination and the ability to change your fate
>have the disaster movie also portrayed from the perspective of someone who wasn't in the disaster but lost a loved one in the disaster (seeing the familiar village absolutely destroyed, finding the name of a loved one in a ledger, desperately calling out to them in a dream to leave and save themselves before the disaster hits)
>film becomes a major hit in japan because they constantly get hit by disaster
>film becomes a major hit outside japan because disaster movies are usually about the person in the disaster trying to survive, it's a familiar premise with a unique twist non-japanese audiences probably aren't familiar with

I wasn't able to predict that the comet had killed Mitsuha, but I did predict that they were time travelling.

Simple but fun romance story. Has a couple tweests to give it an air of 'something deeper' to normalfags. Brilliant animation and all that other visual stuff.

And I forgot, but this isn't as big a reason as the others I listed:
The ending is open. People can come up with how they lived their lives together, which satisfies everyone.

nice music, "what was her name again"-chan is cute and the movie looks nice.