I'm about to start pic related so lets have a 2000's thread...

I'm about to start pic related so lets have a 2000's thread. What are you currently watching or plan to watch from 00'-10'? What am I in for with this? Looks like the beta version of Jigoku Shojo but I'm going in with an open mind.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=efpkXjkFydw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Aired the same season as OP.

Spring 2000

Good luck understanding it. Cool atmosphere, great OST, but no fucking clue what was going on. Apparently you need to read the source material but I think it's just one of those shows either way. I didn't watch much of Jigoku Shoujo but I don't think they're similar from what I remember.

Meh. Series that are too cryptic to understand are my least favorite but I'll still watch it. Theres definitely some merit in ambiance over story quality but I feel like it kind of loses its charm when you walk away from it saying 'what the fuck did I just watch'. Like the atmosphere is wasted because you were too busy trying to figure out what was going on to really appreciate it.

A few episodes of Jigoku Shojo were like that where the scenes flipped so fast and without any explanation that you weren't really sure how you got from point A to point B but the premise was simple enough that you could set back and go with the flow. Heres hoping I walk away with something from Boogiepop.

April 19th, 2000. I know some of you anons love to bitch about this one.

The "source material" isn't actually very helpful as the anime is actually original material that fits into the LN timeline. It does give a lot more context like what Echoes and Manticore are, but that's kind of it. And some of the other stuff doesn't even come up until Boogiepop at Dawn, which is about novel 6.

do you like lain?

Each episode is one person's story. Don't expect stuff to be explained later because it's mostly not. Don't expect the leads of each one to come up again apart from brief cameos.
Oh, and there are three main time periods: "six years ago", "one month ago", and "now".

I don't understand why somebody thought it was a good idea to make an anime sequel without first adapting the stuff that came before. Loved the atmosphere but I didn't have a clue what was going on at some points.

I read the manga adaptation after watching this and I think it really helped me understand what was happening in the anime.

Haven't watched it yet, so I don't know. I have this crazy idea in my head that I'm just going to go through each production year and watch every single anime I can stomach so I just randomly picked 2000 as my starting point. Eventually I'll go back and work my way through the 90's and 80's so I'll get to Lain some day.

The live action movie was made at the same time. There would have been no point making the same story twice.

Shingu is definitely one of the most unique shows I've watched. Also one of the last shows animated on cel.

Usually I don't do this, but I gotta' say I just finished episode 1 and I'm conflicted about my opinion. On one hand it had some great cinematography, the music is good and the overall vibe is actually a little spooky which I have to give it credit for. Most anime fail in that regard. However, the OP was visually shit on a stick and I don't like the random use of sounds (rather than music) to set the tone. I'm sensitive to some noises and that weird grating sound that loudly played right before Muto's friend told her she'd lost her virginity gave me some anxiety. I hope every episode doesn't have that or something like it.

It wasn't exactly what I expected but I don't hate it.

I fucking love Shingu. Except maybe the ending. It's great how it manages to maintain a cosy slice of life atmosphere while keeping the plot advancing for the whole show.

just finished watching episode 8 of boogiepop myself. I like this kind of what doth life bullshit

>Except maybe the ending.
The ending plot was pretty nonsense but the journey is more important than the destination and it didn't really leave a particularly bad taste in my mouth so I'll give it a pass.

Maybe I'm just too used to shows that have no idea how to end themselves.

tsundere done right

Oh I agree. Some shows have a shitty ending that kind of ruins the whole show, but Shingu's was just kind of weird and not great rather than awful. Still totally worth it.

I implore you all to watch Zegapain for a really good sci-fi story. The mecha action is pretty weak, but the strength of the show is in its sci-fi and not its mecha action so don't let that put you off.

If nothing else the 3D has aged far better than any other CG mecha shows to come out in that period. You compare Zegapain to Gigantic Formula which came out a year later and it's like night and day.

youtube.com/watch?v=efpkXjkFydw

I still can't get my head around how some early 2000s shows completely botched their jump to digital and some shows were completely unaffected by it.

Overman King Gainer aired at the same time as Gundam Seed and yet it looks as clear and crisp as a show aired today.

Another example is Brigadoon, airing in 2000s. A very weird show with consistently good animation for some reason.

Then you go look at something like Scryed and everybody looks like they're melting.

I'm going to start this either today or tomorrow.
No idea if it'll be good or not, wish me luck.

This isn't a bad explanation. It's very episodic. That said, this thing is on the list of shows that explained shit less than Lain. That's not a very long list. It doesn't help that the novels were mostly untranslated, although I guess Others and Dawn are the most important two. I'm reminded that I never actually finished watching the movie, I probably still have it downloaded on an old HD.

Just finished Last Exile. It kind of petered out in the second half and Delphine was a painfully dull villain but it was good overall.

Time to not watch the sequel series based on the impressions I've gotten, I guess.

Sure, but unlike Lain it doesn't leave you wondering what stuff is real. And it's mostly pretty explicit about when stuff happens, even if it's not easy to follow. Doesn't help that the subdued palette and character designs mean everything and everyone arr rook same.
Basically I think it's a different kind of confusing bullshit from Lain. I don't think it expects the viewer to be smart, just attentive.

Watching SoulTaker currently. I feel like this show could have been so much more - at the very least the monochrome color palettes and eccentric shot composition makes it a fairly cool watch.