What does Sup Forums think of the old Pokemon anime? Does it still hold up today?

What does Sup Forums think of the old Pokemon anime? Does it still hold up today?

Other urls found in this thread:

a.pomf.cat/cprzzr.webm
youtube.com/watch?v=EAdGv89e0sE
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Every other series were varying levels of shit. Ranging from Diamond&Pearl being not so shit, to Advance and Best Wishes being quite shit, and the reboot series being complete fucking shit

No. Over half of it is filler, no real character development or focus, and shitty animation. Every later series was an improvement over it.

I'd rank.them XY > DP > BW >=SM > AG > original

>no real character development or focus
Ash himself? Pikachu? Charizard? Yeah, the secondary human cast is shafted compared to later series, but saying there's no character development is just wrong.

It's mostly nostalgia.

>Over half of it is filler, no real character development or focus
Ash has more development in OS than every other season combined.

Pikachu development was all in the first episode. Satoshi develops in every series pretty much. Lizardon is one Poke on, compared to later series where almost every main cast Pokemon has some kind of development or focus. Shigeru shows up in like 5 whole episodes of the first series, making his rivalry with Satoshi seem nonexistant compared to later ones like Shinji, Alan, and even Shooty.

It's sad when Haruka had a better rivalry with Shu and Harley than Satoshi did with Shigeru.

It was honestly always pretty bad, but I enjoyed it when I was a kid. I liked it a lot more before they went digital with the animation, though that's most things in general.

>Does it still hold up today?
No. Never did. Never could. Animated series is a glorified video game commercial, just like Gundam is mostly a toy commercial.

If you want a good Pokemon anime, try out Origins or Generations (even though it's a short series)

>The actual anime are better than those abominations. Origin was shit

I enjoyed it while I was in its target audience and a few years past that.

it was made for 5 year old, does it hold up today? it doesnt

>If you want a good Pokemon anime, try out Origins or Generations

It's a decent fun show, the show has some very good music even up until today, despite the decline in quality though the battles are better in the other seasons, though those seasons had Ash decline in personality as time went by.

Charizard is a faggot and is the reason Ash is on this stupid endless quest though I still prefer this to the other seasons.

Who are you quoting?

It's pretty awful but also pretty enjoyable in short bursts I guess. In the right mindset you can have a good time laughing at how bad it is.

Morons.

What the fuck was his problem?

Not a good show but has a certain charm to it. The bonds between characters and Pokemon feel more genuine in the first series, in the others they just rehash the same relationships. The future series had much better battles.

I think the Diamond and Pearl anime was the strongest overall.

I loved it as a kid but I doubt I'd like it now
it's clearly for kids, it shouldn't be expected to hold up under critical scrutiny

Does Sup Forums have good taste?

bad post, kids stuff still expects critical scrutiny and a lot of them have help up really well over the years

The original series was the only one worth watching. It's the only one about a trainer just starting out, and fully aware of just how silly it is in concept.

Idiots will try to tell you XY was the best, but it's just an action borefest for children and manchildren (especially the latter).

I rewatched the Kanto series recently to help with my Japanese. I don't think you will enjoy it without the nostalgia factor but in that regard it's good enough.

Stupid kid

XY > Indigo > Advance > The rest

>still
It didn't even hold up back then. If you made it past Johto, you had the patience of a saint or the brain of an Ash.

Do you remember?

a.pomf.cat/cprzzr.webm

I will defend it to the death, the original Pokemon had such a better world and atmosphere.

Reminder that there is a general on /vp/ dedicated to STILL watching the anime, week after week.

It's probably one of the most idiotic threads on this site.

I realize this is Sup Forums, but you still sound like such a pathetic weeb using the Japanese names for fucking Pokemon, which everyone here knows damn well you first watched dubbed.

>using the original japanese names from a japanese anime is bad
Compelling argument.

>Watched first dubbed

So? I watched Digimon dubbed first but I've seen the Japanese for so long that the english names don't seem natural at all to me anymore. Same with DBZ. Don't see why Pokemon should be any different.

>Pokemon Origins
youtube.com/watch?v=EAdGv89e0sE

It had a memorable soundtrack that feels like some actual heart and soul was put into it, a couple anime-only tracks and tracks that take straight from the game.

Some literal Saturday-morning cartoon shit, just some shit you put on when you want to be a brain-dead potato for the day and just chill on the sofa. No huge plot, just every episode being a creature feature of sorts with the occasional good shit that had some message to say.

Compared to the other seasons, it's a lot more chill with the atmosphere and sometimes it gives you moments where it just pans over shit and treats itself like it's a fucking nature documentary. Later seasons 90% of the time just treats Pokemon like actual human beings who only sometimes act like animals, and pretends there is no language barrier whatsoever when interacting with other humans.

Basically everyone has grown up with foreign Pokemon names (english, german, spanish, whatever), not just because of the Anime, but the entire culture surrounding it in the late 90s to early 00s.
There's a huge difference between that and using the original japanese names of Pokemon that you only would be able to know by watching and playing the japanese games and being hugely focussed, or "obsessed", with them.

So, there's a huge difference. Obviously, also, makes him a weeb, but this is Sup Forums which is to be expected.

And, as may have just pointed out, it doesn't have to be the cause of pretentious reasons. Because he wanted to feel superior and, thus, has become self-centered enough to say things others wouldn't be so much aware of.
It just can be the case of. What he just said.

In any case, it certainly isn't a big deal as makes it seem like.

Although, I don't see why the fuck he had to use jap-only names, even for the Pokemon, when most of the board will simply be confused by it.
This can be excused by just googling that shit, for either sides, but I think the guy should be self-aware enough to just use the "normal" names on a board that really doesn't watch the Pokemon anime as a whole. /vp/ would be different, I guess. But, also, /vp/ is shit and full of retards.

This is true.

this, too

Sun & Moon is good.

Will it ever be subbed?

It actually is. Pokémon works better as a SoL comedy than Ash and Girl and Boy of that Gen working down dirt roads, meeting a CoD that has a Pokémon and Team Rocket try to steal it and Pikachu

Why not just not give a shit about what names people use when talking about a character?

I've seen enough people bash other people for either using the dub or sub name, all you niggers know what character is being talked about so why give a shit about the name

Motherfucker, that user already made himself seem like a bitter asshole the moment the user made the presumption that someone was being a snobby pretentious dweeb just for using a particular fucking name.

>watching any of the anime
>not reading the manga

>lusamine 5th
Not bad.

You know they discuss Precure week after week too? And Aikatsu week after week.
This may not be the board for you if you find watching anime every week and discussing it idiotic.

>You know they discuss Precure week after week too? And Aikatsu week after week.
You're only making your shitty board look worse. Just stop, retard.

>People enjoying things that you don't find enjoyable is idiotic

perhaps it is you, who is the idiotic.

I think it's mostly rose-tinted goggles, but I do still like the Kanto season and I do think it's much higher quality than the majority of the rest of the series. It was all just a big ad, but I always appreciated how they seemed to put more effort into making an interesting story or scenario for the pokemon of the week.

>shitty board look worse
You mean Sup Forums?
How much of a newfag are you?
This board can't help but look bad when it has posters like you.

>still watching and enjoying a kids show every week, with the same main character for 20 years with the same formula
Sorry, you are very clearly an idiot.

Back to your own board, retard. Nobody is going to watch your shitty show.

Not really. Once you remove your nostalgia goggles, it isn't really remarkable even as a gag series.
Even then, it's along DP and XY as the best seasons of the pokemon anime, which tells a lot about the quality of that series overall. That, and the fact that it's specifically made to be a commercial ad for 10yo kids.

>it's along DP and XY as the best seasons of the pokemon anime
Spotted the manchild.

Yes, Aikatsu and Precure are discussed here. But neither are in contention for the title of "worst anime ever". Pokemon is.

Oh hey, a Pokemon thread, wonder if there's any decent discussion?
>that guy from Sup Forums that always shits up Pokemon threads is here screaming at everyone as usual
Guess not.

Please do explain in an objective manner how enjoying something you don't enjoy is idiotic.

JELLY

Ash is still shit.

>5 votes for Sightseer
Aaahhh yeah my niggas.

90% of anime is just an ad.
You guys do realize you don't look smarter for shitting on pokemon on gundam because you happened to realize it's an commercial for something while jerking off whatever manga/VN/LN adaptation I know you don't shit on just because it's an ad. In fact, it's just the opposite, you look like a fucking retard when your argument is "it's bad because it's an ad!"

If you're talking about the dude calling people idiotic for still watching Pokemon, that would be the most ironic thing on the planet.

DONUTS

>90% of anime is just an ad.
H-HOW DARE YOU SAY THAT? FUCKING SHITPOSTER.

PLAY TO WIN

Yeah the OP didn't help much, no wonder you're going to get kids who are too good for actually watching anime posting in this.

You have the right to watch whatever garbage you like, even Pokemon. But don't try to pretend you don't have an abysmal taste; you are what you watch.

And what anime do you watch user?
You, uh, do actually watch anime right?

>Dawn
I'm calling ballot stuffing. There's absolutely no way Dawn is more popular than May, Serena, Hilda, Rosa, or Chicken.

>my argument to defend my series:
>"I liek it"

That guy has been in nearly every Pokemon thread I've seen the last two years or so, regardless of what the OP looks like. He used to get banned relatively quick for obvious reasons, but moderation on Sup Forums hasn't been the best recently.

There is no such thing as "bad taste" and "good taste" just watch whatever the fuck you want. It's all just subjective, why go through a dick measuring contest over how good one's taste is? If you judge someone else's taste then don't get insulted when other people calls your shit taste.

That's one way of admitting you're an idiot who knows nothing. Dawn's always been extremely popular.

>"That guy"
>anyone who says things i don't like must be "that one shitposter"
Why don't you go back to your general, faggot?

Awfully defensive, aren't you?

judging other people's taste is a byproduct of human nature to share things you like/dislike and claim it's the best thing you've ever seen. To say one shouldn't judge other people's taste is to say one shouldn't talk about shit they like or don't like.

You need to vary your writing style a bit more if you want to pretend you're multiple people, kid.

I honestly don't have a problem with watching the anime, considering the drivel people on THIS board watch. /padt/ is massive cancer for other reasons though.

I always figured Dawn was the most traditional Asian looking heroine, hence her popularity in Japan. She has long straight dark hair, she has smaller breasts and a thing frame like most Asian girls, and her short skirt gives her a Japanese schoolgirl look.

May on the other hand was a brunette with tomboyish style clothing and huge breasts, given her a more western look. May looked like a white girl traveling throughout Japan. Serena of course is French with the blonde hair and blue eyes, and being a Kalos native.

Dawn is the most Asian looking of all the girls. May and Serena feels white and Serena European, hence their larger breasts.

I think that you should fuck off to /vp/
>inb4 muh porkeman is also an anime
Sure, let's see the pokemon threads currently on /vg/, /tg/, or in /toy/.

>judging other people's taste is a byproduct of human nature to share things you like/dislike and claim it's the best thing you've ever seen. To say one shouldn't judge other people's taste is to say one shouldn't talk about shit they like or don't like.

?????????????????????

>Hey, I like X. Probably the best thing I've ever seen in my life and it's my favorite show.
>X huh? I think it's a bad show, I didn't really like it.
>That's fine, I just thought I'd share my thoughts
>Same

Wew that was so hard

But I'm not? Also you're clearly samefagging.

I've barely posted in Sup Forums Pokemon threads for over a year now, that's how I know you're a paranoid retard.

Diamond and Pearl was the best
I hated how Misty was the "muh mature girl character" and I found May really generic and forgettable

Dawn was cute and likeable as fuck and she felt more like a realistic 10 year old like Ash

Since when does May have 'huge breasts'? They might've been big for a kids show initially, but they fixed that. The only ones who draw them huge are fan artists.

Yeah but that rivalry with Paul in DP was cuhraaaaaazy. Paul was such such a badass.

Dawn should be first

I looked at it and it seems it's cancer for the exact same reason this thread is cancer - a tiny handful of autists that see a Pokemon anime thread and decides that everyone in it needs to be told exactly how much they hate the Pokemon anime and people that watch it.

Not to mention that most people played the games too

Shouldn't you fags be on your hugbox at /vp/?

Not even fucking comparable.

Every now and then they feel the need to spread their autism here.

I watched it a year ago out of curiosity and it's not as good as I remember it being. It could have been much better than it was. Ash not even making the semifinals of the pokemon league was such an anticlimactic way to end the series.

You SoL faggots are fucking ruining anime with your gayass faggotry.
The high points of the Pokemon anime were the epic animated movies not mundane garbage for basement dwellers like you.

I love how much growth May goes through from the beginning of AG. She goes from a girl who has no idea what she wants to do with a weak Torchic and Wurmple to become a fairly strong trainer/coordinator by the end of her run. And her growth with her rivals Drew/Harley was fantastic.

Thank got Tomioka wrote May's character arc so well, even if the Contests themselves had some growing pains until DP started.

>to end the series.
But it wasn't even the end of the OS series, let alone the series as a whole.

Template of the old man?

Pokemon has no business trying to be shonen. It was like watching a retarded cripple try to play sportsball.

>Dawn was the most traditional Asian looking heroine
Lol what?
Dawn deosn't feel particularly Asian. None of the things you listed are exclusively Asian features either and Dawn's hair is blue not black.

I think she's popular because she's the most like Ash with her energetic and more childish nature. She also seemed to get along with him better than Misty/May ever did.

It has no business being SoL trash
It's always been an adventure series. Fuck off with your preference for mundane shit.

>Lol
Also, that's pasta.

May was one of my first waifus when I was like 13
god bless her

underage /vp/ crossboarder. shonens is baby's first anime.
Literally you
>wow these moves are hella fucking epic
>wow look at that on character animation
>wow look at all those flashy effects
Like a toddler impressed by fireworks.