I don't know what to feel after watching this

I don't know what to feel after watching this

I'm not American so no decades of anti-japanese propaganda could deface this masterpiece to my eyes.

Glad that the nips got bombed back to the last century.

So? Want a manual?

I feel manipulated.

>brainlets STILL think this is an anti-American movie
It must hurt to be so stupid.

>muh evil jankee
>don't forget the two bombs

japs are so butthurt

I should've stopped thinking there was going to be a happy-ever-after from the first 5min, boy was I in for a world of hurt.

most of the movie could have been avoided if the brother had sucked up his stupid japanese sense of honor or pride and stay with his aunt / not try to be so entirely self sufficient when he's a shit head teenager after a war where japan lost in complete disgrace

he killed his sister and died a meaningless death

Not even american but not even this piece of japanese propaganda was enough to make feel sorry for them.

This. Every time. It's no war movie, it's a stipidity movie.

You should probably feel sad. It must awful being an American unable to feel empathy for anyone.

>Spends the entire film thinking his father is still alive serving on the IJN-Unfuckingsinkable slapping yankee butt away from the home islands
>Dreams are crushed as he watches his entire hometown set ablaze and is told that the entire fleet has been sunk
It's more of an anti-war film that mocks the Imperial Japanese spirit. MC literally dies because MUH HONOR prevents him from sucking it up and staying with his aunt instead of starving.

I can't believe this has to be explained again and again. my head hurts

Is that the major theme of the film?

>dont feel a shred of sympathy for the seita for the entire movie, only feel a bit sorry for setsuko
>movies utterly fails at establishing an actual link to the audience, all it feels is anger
>final 5 minutes roll around
>well lets just show setsuko in a tiny coffin to force some tears, that way people will delude themselves into believing that it was the character writing that made them emotionally attached to the cast and not the shock value of the final scene
Basically, this guy got it . GotF is the cheapest and most manipulative "work of art" the medium has to offer.

this, though his death wasn't meaningless, he was stupid and he died. this is important

today in America stupid people live on government subsidies and procreate the most

It's amazing how many people get all flustered by this movie.

It was a very effective movie.

I think the bomb was justified, but if you don't feel sorrow at two children suffering because of a war they had no part in, you're subhuman.

So why didn't they just swallow their pride and go back to their aunt's house?
No one would've died if they had done this

He didn't realize how serious the situation was until much too late.

>O MY YAMATO DAMASHII

Everything is the MC's fault

that fucking bastard is responsible for everything bad that happened in the movie

???

>a 14 year old Japanese boy caused WWII

in the movie

WW2 started outside the movie.

He firebombed his own mother?

you telling me you were the pinnacle of common sense and responsibility at the age of 14 after having near all the people you knew wiped out in a single day?

People who say it's "Japanese war propaganda" are missing the point far too much. The specific conflict (Japan in WW2) isn't particularly relevant, since it has a universal connection, ie the setting could be changed to any country/war (even fictional) and still maintain impact. They are children. Children cannot think, control, or decide for themselves properly. The whole plot of the film is about being thrown into an unforgiving situation that was out of the child's control/understanding - this idea isn't limited to war either, it could be something incredibly minor, and still have personal relevance to the audience. The children are neither Allies or Imperial fighters. they don't care. They are simply only trying to survive the hostile conflict, because that's all they can comprehend. Not once in the film does it promote either side, because it isn't relevant. It doesn't need any serious political overtones (however, ww2 is an interesting topic, with plenty to mention), because the the conflict is already interesting enough. People who say that the film is anti-war are probably more correct (a claim denied by the director). My personal take on the film is that there are many things in this world that are simply beyond the control and understanding of a child, therefore it is a critique of the recklessness of society, if anything else.

Japan should of surrendered. Plus lets not forget the copious amount of war crimes and human experimentation (including live vivisection's) they did. Fun Fact, Shiro Ishii had infected locusts he wanted to drop on the States but the dumb Emperor said no.

>should of
Also, you're missing the point.
See:

Shut up chink

>WAAAAAAA MY AUNT IS MEAN
>WAAAA I KILLED MY SISTER
>WAAAAA
dumb fucking movie like said

Very cerebral post, user.

Sadness and depression.

yea i didnt get it. the kids basically went delinquent in a time of war.
you dont do that. if they had tried hard and still got their shit kicked in cos japan lost then id be empathic

Everything that happened was their fault.

His aunt started denying him and his sister food you fucking moron. She forced them to leave.

i agree, but children are used for war propaganda all the time. They don't need to be able to understand the situation they're in, the medium that uses them just needs to claim "look at what X did to innocent children"

Angry that your time was wasted.

The story is based on an autobiography by the older brother, about how his biggest regret was putting his pride above his sister and getting her killed by not going back. He fully admits she wouldn't have died if he did the right thing.

retards who never saw the movie but had to comment anyway.

>a movie with no massage
it was really nothing other than meh sadness

I've seen this movie. Who hasn't?

>WWII was caused by two children

The opening scene was gut wrenching but otherwise eh. People hype it up in my opinion.

well she sure was right , i mean he wasn't working or helping anyone why should she share her precious food with him

Edgy stuff there, user.
What were you doing when you were 14?

>when

Reminds me of Into The Wild

>decades of anti-japanese propaganda
I know I'm hours late to respond, but are you fucking retarded?

I've heard from a former professor of his that the main character of that book might have had asperger's.

Dresden was better tbqh

That actually makes a lot a sense.
I remember watching that movie for some class in college then analyzing it afterward as a group. My turn went something along the lines of "the MC was a giant fucking retard" though obviously in more diplomatic terms.

This is how autism looks like in written form.

The opposite of that happened to be honest.

They got bombed out of the shitty half modernized, half archaic purgatory they were living in and into the modern age?

But didn't they get the rice from selling his mother's stuff?

I like it, but you should watch In This Corner of the World next. In my opinion it's just a better WW2 movie.

I wish Japan would make more ww2 and imperial themed fiction. Itd be fun to have an isekai where MC gets transported to an alternate Japan where the empire won.

A yes,lets judge a child over the absolute cunt of an aunt who probably knew just how shit the outside world would be for homeless children.

Kono Sekai is definitely refreshing after watching GotF. In Kono Sekai the adults actually act human and not just Cinderella 'evil stepmother' caricatures.

That was an alright film, why is this such a contentious thing for Sup Forums

It's not just Sup Forums, people everywhere have had mixed reactions to the film since it first came out.