Devilman Crybaby

It's not fun to discuss which show will be AOTS when we already know that this is going to win

Other urls found in this thread:

anime-now.com/entry/2017/11/06/230049
ippnw.org/pdf/nuclear-famine-two-billion-at-risk-2013.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Devilman
>good
Enjoy your shitty edge shonenshit mix that fails at both parts

Devilman is a fundamentally a story about hope, love and human destruction. And the futileness of war and hate. Only a fool would assume its shonenshit. It didnt have a huge following after the student protests in the 60s for no reason. Young university people and adult intelligentsia loved the manga at the time because of its relevant anti-war and anti-establishment themes.

>And the futileness of war and hate.
Humans would have been just as fucked without hate and war though, because the demons would kill them. If anything they would have been worse off. And where was the hope or love?

nah it doesn't show in the story since it's just MC beating up fodder then everyone is suddenly paranoid and EVIIILLLL then it's over and god was supposedly the bad guy but not really because the demons were objectively cunts and (somehow) killed billions of people

when ryo convinced akira to fight for the human race as a devilman and he felt betrayed by the very people he wanted to protect and love interest.

>reminder that ryo got what he wanted from akira, the dick

>nah it doesn't show in the story
>I don't know how to read

they were setting off nukes and shit and humans couldn't even take out fodder demons till they got their demon stormtrooper core out who mostly killed regular people

The hope and love was more intimate and human in nature between Akira, ryou and Miki. The whole story or characters are basically driven by love which due to hate, mistrust and jealousy lead to the death of humankind. Mikis death was a metaphor for the loss of peace and hope.
Humans did have the power to fight the demons if they banded together. Their weaponry was strong enough, and the demons recognized that. Especially with the help of the Devilman. But this story was more functioning as a wake up call or mirror to human nature so that is sadly not what happened.

>when ryo convinced akira to fight for the human race as a devilman
Which was just as futile as anything else.
>love interest
That went as far as, "Akira sure is hot now he fights punks instead of avoiding them". What a touching romance. Or is it about the futility of love as well?

Except it looks like shit

Billions of human should have stomped. Demons are too dumb and not enough to be an actual threat. A few hundred hobos (Devilmen) were enough to fight them.

>Especially with the help of the Devilman
No, Devilman and friends would have easily been killed by any army

>has violence
>le edgy

Grow up

Who cares if demons kill humans.
What matters is will it have almost-explicit sex scenes where girls are fucking girls while being fucked by guys and demons?

Compared to alot of other things
not really

>The hope and love was more intimate and human in nature between Akira, ryou and Miki.
Akira and Ryo were driven by fear and desperation in the face of the demons returning. Miki didn't do shit.

>Which was just as futile as anything else.
>hey look I have hindsight
just because it was futile doesn't mean that it wasn't the point
>That went as far as, "Akira sure is hot now he fights punks instead of avoiding them". What a touching romance.
still a love interest, don't know why you're complaining about this

Netflix shills pls go kill yourselves.
I'm not going to watch this shadeless cartoon who happens to be made in Japan.

she died

Go Nagai is a fucking amazing artist and one of my biggest inspirations.

>Miki didn't do shit.
you mus not know about two hands miki. I wish I could see more girls like her she is completely different in the anime.

Yeah, comparing a hyped "high budget" anime that's years on the make with a shitty CGI adaptation made literally by a bunch of guys whose previous experience were Teekyu is totally, absolutely, fair.
Except it's not, retard.

>Go Nagai is a fucking amazing artist
I would say an amazing expressionist than artist

how about I compare it to Hand Shakers then?
is that fair?

Your post is a bit too nonsensical and misses a lot of important points that were hinted at or implied that lead to the situation we saw at the end. Nuclear Winter and famines for example.

I think you guys are missing an important point, is the soundtrack gonna be good? cause I am estatic from getter robo's soundtrack, more precisely GR armageddon.

I agree Devilman and humans should have been able to kill the demons.

they were going to, but lucifer started taking control.

Good points but billions of people? I can buy population diminishing but not outright extinction (especially when the Devilmen survived, they're pretty much just slightly superpowered regular people), and the nukes were erased by God himself along with part of Russia.

Realistically the demons' only chance was to nuke everything before the war started. Once the humans know about them and about possession they can't do shit anymore

anime-now.com/entry/2017/11/06/230049

>In the nightclub scene where Akira becomes Devilman, for example, explicit sex and nudity are front and center as Akira trips on drugs among the flashing lights. This then turns to ultraviolence as several of the clubgoers merge with Devils and transform into eldritch horrors and feast on the rest.

>Literally at one point, you watch a woman’s bare breasts stretch and warp as the nipples become enormous and erect before turning into mouths with razor sharp teeth that begin eating the screaming people around her.

Seems like its the case. Probably some scenes between akira and sirene too.

>don't know why you're complaining about this
Because it never gave me any reason to care about it and was totally irrelevant to anything that happened.

they also had mass hysteria to thank for too. where everyone thought everyone was a demon and turn on themselves and I'm pretty sure the government, especially the Japanese were infiltrated by the demons and wanted to nuke each other

Will they include the totally-not-gay time traveling fun times?

so what are we talking about here? she was a love interest and then she died.

I'm not sure she was, because he didn't actually show any interest in her. Regardless: Why is her being a love interest relevant to anything in the story?

>because he didn't actually show any interest in her.
doesn't make her not an Love interest but probably for two reasons, he's iving under her father's house and he's too busy worrying about demons.

>Regardless: Why is her being a love interest relevant to anything in the story?
just saying there WAS a piece of the story that was about hope and love and she fits in the love part.

A nuclear war would kill billions of people and change the earths atmosphere and environment to a nuclear winter which would then if the conditions are right contribute to human extinction. Sickness, famine and hunger, societal collapse, war and lastly demons roaming around the world and killing the last remaining humans. Without anyone capable of operating the technology humans are an easy target. God only attacked once as far as I know and didnt really stop other countries from launching nukes. The Devilman would have been the last remaining humans due to their superpower and higher resistance.

ippnw.org/pdf/nuclear-famine-two-billion-at-risk-2013.pdf Here is a pdf of a scenario of how devasting a small nuclear war would be.

Good thing there was no nuclear war in Devilman then. Or at least none that was spoken of.

>y-you just have to make your own headcanon for the story to make sense

Also, killing 2 billions on 7.5 billions doesn't mean complete annihilation

She was definitely a love interest. I think that much is clear. Go Nagai in his other material made it quite obvious that they were supposed to be a couple. Her being a love interest is relevant because I said that love is one of the driving factors of the story. She was what made Akira have hope but also turn on humanity after he got betrayed.

>he's iving under her father's house and he's too busy worrying about demons
We get plenty of his thoughts, so I kind of doubt it. But alright, narratively she's a love interest.
>there WAS a piece of the story that was about hope and love
There were also pieces of the story about international relations, evolutionary biology, and C12 Itallian literature. Romance is even less relevant than any of these.

>futileness
Back to middle school, friend.

>that they were supposed to be a couple
That didn't come across at all in the manga I read.
>She was what made Akira have hope
Nor did that. I don't remember him ever thinking about Miki other than trying to make her not die just like everyone else.

>There were also pieces of the story about international relations, evolutionary biology, and C12 Itallian literature. Romance is even less relevant than any of these.
no since ryo loved akira and made him devilman leading to the when struggle in the first place

>Miki other than trying to make her not die just like everyone else.
>forgetting the scene where after akira saw miki's parents he was about to be depressed ut had hope to save miki above all else.

The manga was set during the cold war.The Vietnam War was going on too. People at the time feared getting destroyed by a nuclear war, so did Nagai. Its implied that humans destroyed themself through nuclear warfare, I mean russia, possessed by demons, would have dropped some if God didnt intervene. That was most likely not the only case of such a thing happening. Nuclear winter is just the natural consequence of that. And yes all of humanity could be wiped out not due to the nukes but the aftereffects. The pdf i linked does talk about the potential death toll of a small nuclear war.
But even after a normal war, without technology to depend on demons would have an easy time against humans.

>Its implied that humans destroyed themself through nuclear warfare
No it's not, the only nukes that are evoked are the ones that get deleted. You'd still need an huge amount of nukes to do real damage and after Russia it's obvious the humans would take the necessary measures to avoid that happening again.
>But even after a normal war, without technology to depend on
??????

There's no need to try to justify it, Nagai just wanted to write some shonenshit where a few hundreds humans with power are enough to take on the demon army while the billions of humans with all their weaponry are useless. The story goes out of its way to say that Devilmen are the only hope for humanity. It goes out of its way to make sure it's retarded from the beginning.

War is futile it merely delays the inevitable, one must gain peace through other means. Even shortly after ww2 ended we couldnt rid the world of war.

>ryo loved akira
Eh, I guess.
But like everything else in the story I'm left wondering why I should care. Ryo and Akira's interactions are all entirely about the demon invasion.
>forgetting the scene
If there was any such scene then yes, I have forgotten it.

>No it's not, the only nukes that are evoked are the ones that get deleted. You'd still need an huge amount of nukes to do real damage and after Russia it's obvious the humans would take the necessary measures to avoid that happening again.
You need to reread the manga again. It was pretty clear that after those 20 years humans destroyed eachother through war. And of course nuclears were used too as russia already tried to do that.
The whole setting is influenced by the thermonuclear atmosphere of the century this story was written in. Its an anit-war story so obviously its anti-nuclear war too as it was written during the cold war. Like this shit is obvious. Even the Devilman Crybaby trailer is showing you scenes of cities getting blown up by presumably nuclear bombs.

>diebuster shitting up the threads before this fucking anime even started

please kill yourself already

Would rather see a Cyborg 009 anime. That OVA was fuckin sweet.

Peace would have been just as futile though. That's not anti-war, it's nihilistic.

Cutie Honey project when

>You need to reread the manga again. It was pretty clear that after those 20 years humans destroyed eachother through war.
No, you only have a single page saying humans are dead. And it doesn't make sense either way since you have both of these things
>Devilmen are more dangerous than billions of people
>humanity doesn't try to avoid nuclear war after the nukes were sent and deleted once

>But like everything else in the story I'm left wondering why I should care.
you don't have to

You forgot that the president broadcasted the fact that hateful feelings, stress and frustrations are transforming humans into demons. Fear was rampant and with the world already being divided after ww2 and the cold war multiple wars and civil wars broke out in every country. Humans dont always act rational especially not if they are afraid of the unknown, hitler after all started a whole war just to kill the jews. For example the US would in fear of what they did to the africans murder every one of them before they could transform into demons.
And that is how the humans exterminated eachother. The actual demons waited till humans got weak enough and then killed the rest.

Here is the panel of how the destruction has looked like. That is obviously a nuclear detonation and these bombs were several times stronger than the ones used in hiroshima so the impact on the environment and therefore food sources was immense. Dont forget that at the time the human population was at about 3,7 billion.

We had this discussion last time, you're a retarded fuck who's too thick for a rather simple poignant story.

Who the hell though it was a good idea to put "Crybaby" on the title of your series.

It makes sense.

ITT: Dumbass arguing whether the apocalyptic scenario is feasible or not

This is why dumb westerners should stop reading manga. Literally who gives a shit whether the apocalyptic scenario is feasible or not? How will you even know that given that the world hasn't ended yet?

Are you triggered yet?

>7.5 billions doesn't mean complete annihilation
are you a retard?

The population was way less than that in the 70s.

Not him but the manga explicitly states that after that doctor delcares to the world how the demons are possessing people, it says that basically every nation and ethnic group turned on each other thinking they'd become demons. Someone post the Sup Forums image of the paranoia created.

Because Akira was a crybaby before he became devilman.

>Someone post the Sup Forums image of the paranoia created.

This took longer to find than I thought

Ignore the guy. We had this discussion before and he came up with the same retarded points.

>triggered devilkeks

>mangareader
Also what kind of asshole writes their shit upside-down?

Basically "everyone goes crazy because the story said so". Great writing.

The pdf is about a 2013 scenario case.

>because the story said so
More like because humans are inherently irrational and tribalistic and this news only fed that.

stop shitposting. You're baiting no one.

>durr hurr everyone goes crazy because i said that the story said so
At this point you're just shitposting for the sake of shitposting.

Keep in mind that really, the demons only attacked once. Hundreds of millions were killed in that attack and most cities devastated, but after that they just hung back and started doing the suicide possession, knowing that would unnerve people enough that humans would just start suspecting each other of being demons, and Dr. Rainuma certainly did not fucking help by not understanding what causes demonic fusion (it's a lack of reason, not from resentment and emotion) and saying we need to wipe out anyone that's suspected for our own good. He also refused to acknlowedge the existence of devilmen, shrugging off Mikiko asking for mercy since she was no different from a demon to him.

After that first attack, the demons don't really have another fight until the devilman army fights them 20 years in the future.

I think it looks good, but it's hard to ignore the disregard for Go Nagai's style, they could've worked it out somehow but they went for something entirely different, doesn't feel right, I feel like older looking art-styles are coming back and this feels like wasted potential.

Dude, burgerland invaded and started wars for no fucking reason but greed and revenge multiple times. World war 1 was fought over the dumbest reason ever too. Wars are started over people having different religions of all things. Humans when cornered or blinded by hate and greed do stupid shit.
What happened here in Devilman is way more plausible than most other wars of the last century. You are full of shit if you dont get that.

reminder ryo was raped twice and raped devilman lady and gave birth to akira
holy shit was go nagai on acid at this time?

wasn't he impregnated by him in hell THEN gave birth to him

add that to the list. still can't wrap my head around and the funny part is after the reveal akira barely had a reaction

That's cartoonish crazy, not genuine crazy. It's obvious Nagai has no idea of how to write things on a big scale, which is evidenced by the fact he actually thought the Devilmen would matter in the grand scheme of things (they wouldn't).

Pic related isn't "humans being humans". It's fucking stupid just like the rest of the story which is just meaningless padding like the spiders shit or the Devilmen recruitment (which never mattered since they got offscreened).

Stop shitposting, spic, we all know it’s you.