Tournament Arc

What's your favourite tournament arc?

surely not a togashit yo ufucking soyboy

Best fight

Did you have a stroke?

>le wacky gay characters with shit story and constant asspulls

togashit is literally made for soyboys

I think you have brain damage, see a doctor.

>Watched Saint Seiya's
>vague memories of YYH's first (not as much vague about the second though) and DB's
I didn't even knew tournament arcs were a thing back then. Wasn't even rooting for the characters to win (much less bothering about tournament brackets), was just waiting to see what would happen next. Anime was like a pastime for me back then, at least until I started spending more time with videogames and arcades.
I don't get the appeal of tournaments in battle anime, as a "genre". The fights being interesting was more important to me even back then (to name an example, Seiya/Shiryu/Shun/Hyoga vs. their dark copies before fighting Ikki, was more interesting than the tournament arc before it).

The one from medabots

The whole point of tournaments are to create interesting fights. It allows characters who wouldn't usually fight to do so.

skipping all the filler and getting to the final fight was grand

I need justifications for tournament arcs and this seems like a good thread to ask what makes a good tournament arc.

Anyone else get weird boners from Kurama vs Karasu

This "arc" can be divided in 4 parts (qualifiers, 4on4, 2on2 Clear Mahjong, then the 2-player Mahjong), all of these have interesting fights.

Like Uraraka vs Bakugo in BNHA, watched that fight recently and I'd be lying if I didn't say her grim determinationdidn't make me feel for her.

Man most tournament arcs feel like an excuse for less writing to have powerups or delay story progression.

Unironically though, I did enjoy the first tournament arc in Naruto

As far as I'm concerned, just give the main people involved a good reason to be there, with personal stakes on the line. Sports manga/anime generally have some competition or tournament running at the center of it, and the drama is often that the subset of characters we are interested in have something on the line -- whether its aspirations for a future professional career, prize money, an intense competitive desire to be the best, a rivalry, or just needing to feel you proved your competence at something before you leave high school.
As with anything, what really matters is what's at stake, and whether the author can make you care about what is.

22nd tenkaichi budokai
every single match in the final 8 was great

22nd Tenkaichi was fucking hype

23rd was pretty good

YYH Dark Tournament

BNHA's Spors Festival

Negima's Mahora Festival

>BNHA's Spors Festival

Which they had the balls to make Midoriya lose.

Eh it's not an unheard concept in shonen. Goku lost TWO tournaments before he could win the third one.

The MC losing isn't something new though. YYH's second tournament did that, although what surprised me more, is that the tournament winner (and the chosen ruler of Makai) was apparently a nobody that managed to avoid the favorites who were either weakened or abstained.

Minus arc

Actually, does the first Pokemon League in series 1 of Pokemon count, it was a tournament, but Ash was the only real person to root for.

I love Battle City

Amazing tournament, Joey had a hype match against Marik.

Isn't that technically the third tournament since there was Genkai's and then the Dark Tournament?

lmao doesn't Kaiba throw a card to Yugi who not only is allowed to play it, he sets it without knowing what card it actually is?

I don't know how many years it's been since I've been into Naruto, but I'd be lying if I said that Rock Lee dropping the weights wasn't still the hypest part of any tournament arc I've seen.

Super shitty they interrupted it for that fucking terrible Noah arc

fucking this

I just pretend it didn't exist

it's completely inconsequential anyway

>BNHA's Sports Festival
I liked how they mixed the events and character matches up in a way that I didn't expect.

But I was a little disappointed that more students didn't make it to the final tournament and give more of Class A chances to shine as individuals. Was holding out for frog girl to get a match at least.

Correct, I completely forgot the first tournament.

I dunno' about everyone else but the tournament in BNHA is so damn good to me because it felt less of an asspull fest with powerlevel trumpcard shit and more actual fighting with their skills in mind. I just love the way Midoriya was keeping Todoroki at bay with that arm outstretched who was zoning him with ice.

Or the way they went out their way to show that even Uraraka has the potential to beat someone like Bakugo to the point he was being very careful not to let her touch him

G Gundam

We was robbed.

Wouldn't Uraraka have killed Bakugo if he didn't manage to destroy all the debris she attempted to drop on him?

I don't have any pictures but the War Games in Tiger Mask W was fantastic.
Tiger Mask W as a whole is a fantastic show.

That one, i like that one right there

I was really hyped for the Keijo scanlation releases, don't know if I'd been as hyped if only I watched the anime due to not having to wait a week for the next chapter, and due to the anime's adaptation compression.
Then after the tournament arc, the manga entered scanlation hell, I got tired of waiting, spoiled myself and caught up to the raws, and relived the hype for new chapters when the next tournament arc began. I was really feeling the tournament pressure of not being allowed to commit severe mistakes, even as I have no idea of what the opponent's playstyle is like (and in the first tournament, having no idea of what would be the most optimal team dynamics; in the second tournament, having the feel of slowly walking into the match where you feel you'll lose, seeing that famous, accomplished player who will play against you in just a few moments)

It was crazy how the powerlevels scalated so quickly but I didn't think it was bs or anything.

Toriko cooking festival arc was the best jump arc in the recent decade.

Original Dragon Ball one for sure.