Should I watch the original adaptation or Brotherhood?

Should I watch the original adaptation or Brotherhood?

Watch both.

Manga.

Are they different enough for that to be worth doing?

read manga
watch 03

Yes dummy watch both

Read the manga

I'm not a big manga person.

Both are worth it for their wildly different directions in later plot/character progression and overall tone
Though I'd still say Brotherhood is the overall stronger piece, it still skips many early emotional beats and the introduction to the story that '03 absolutely nails

this user summed it up perfectly
don't listen to people who say to read the manga, there's no reason to whatsoever

Original THEN Brotherhood.

People in the thread will back me up on this.

Watch 2003 series until episode 25 (skip the "other Elric brothers" fillers) then watch the Brotherhood from the episode 2. The first episodes are kind of recap but you get better picture of the story you are going to follow so you are on the track for the rest of the journey. This way you get best parts of the both versions, nice emotional touches of the first adaptation and conclusive ending. Don't bother with the movies.

don't listen to this dipshit
if you watch the first series, watch it all the way through, and don't forget the movie because it's canon

This. Hell, just watch the original to the end of Greed's arc then watch Brotherhood from the beginning.

the fuck? then he should watch brotherhood
just watch both

Watch the original first then brotherhood so you understand all the changes.

this user is correct

original has a really well paced intro with a ton of emotional scenes. Brotherhood has most of these scenes, but it is paced much quicker, because the director knew everyone had already seen the original.

Brotherhood goes through a lot of the early exposition quickly. The original anime adaptation is pretty slow and enjoyable for all of the background stuff. I would watch both and read the manga.

It's a mixed bag.

I prefer the original FMA's style, direction, pacing, and sense of emotional tone.

But I prefer Brotherhood actually following the manga's story and knowing what to do with the second act.

She's hot

I don't think you can go wrong it's a good series. just do it all, you have time ur a fuckin loser anyway so it's not like u need to stop watching anime

i understand your opinion but that image is cherrypicked as fuck

Are you the same user who asked about One Piece?

Brotherhood. You can skip the original tbqhfamalam

True. Though I still prefer the old visuals, and there are still some shots I remember much more vividly in the original. Like when Scar wrecks Ed's arm and we see it its internal workings as its shredded apart, while in Brotherhood its just a quick side-view explosion.

Though for scenes like that I guess you could argue that Brotherhood's director was rushing through it to get to what hadn't already been animated before. Which kind of hurts it more as a standalone series in my opinion, but whatever, people were waiting to see something new.

03 then Brotherhood. The beginning of Brotherhood on its own without having seen 03 is shit because it's rushing to get to where 03 split from the original.

All entries, in production order, every time.

nah. I'm the user from that thread who saw all of OP

Depends on your preferences.
If you have a high tolerance for slow pace and BONES filler and are into mid 00s animation 03 is worth a watch alongside brotherhood.
If you just want to watch an anime and dont give a shit about that kind of stuff just watch brotherhood

Then maybe check out conquerer of shambala just to get an idea of the crazy shit that went down in 03
My friend did this and he said it was enjoyable in a watching a trainwreck kind of way but your mileage may vary

Yes, but watch the first one first, or else it will be shit compared to FMAB

100% correct.

time to change then

i just finished the original about a week ago, im just gonna say it hasn't aged well at all.
it's like your grandpa that just sits there and shits himself.
i had to force myself to watch the last 20~ish.

Watch 03 then