Mahoutsukai no Yome

What is going on with this show?

I'm not a slave to marketing but I thought it was going to have more to offer than this. It's not bad, but it's certainly not great, the best way I'd describe it is extremely well produced mediocrity. Any manga readers want to chime in, does it get better?

I really don't get how someone can judge this way a show with almost 20 episodes to come.

Are you actually retarded?

I am on episode 5 but I am kind of forcing myself to watch it as well. I guess it gets better?

I kept hearing good things about it on Sup Forums and tried it, but I honestly can't bring myself to like the protagonist. It looks pretty, the world is nice but the characters haven't drawn me in.

Yes

its OK but it does feel like it lacks something. I can't really get into the whole qt animu grill is falling in love with horrible skull monster who is very unlikeable and bland

It is good for a shoujo. But if you don't like shoujo anime this isn't for you.

>Any manga readers want to chime in, does it get better?
I'd say yes. As more characters are added and Chise starts acting independently the series becomes more interesting and less formulaic with Elias taking Chise somewhere and then leaving so she can get in to trouble. But the general theme is still the same, Chise helps people out while learning magic and occasionally some dick shows up and disturbs her comfy English life a bit.

>It is good for a shoujo. But if you don't like shoujo anime this isn't for you.
There are much better shoujo series out there.

Do I need to watch Akatsuki no Yona and Akagami no Shirayukihime before watching this?

I love Mahoyome, it hits a lot of right spots for me. Really interested where the story will go.

I think the weakest part is the main villain, Joseph. I don't find him interesting at all and the story is generally more interesting and better when the conflicts come from another source.

>tfw no eldricht abomination husbando

No, watch Twelve Kingdoms instead.

There's not much point in watching the anime. It's a pretty bland adaption and doesn't offer anything over the manga.
The manga is decent but not great or anything.

I read up until...I can't really remember, Chise getting hurt and riding a giant ant while another wall of exposition was being dumped is the last thing I remember, and it was incredibly formulaic with Chise constantly fainting, waking up in some unknown place, talking with someone, something happening, her fainting again and waking up in some unknown place once more. That was the part I couldn't stand the repetition anymore, and with the suspense surronding Elias being gone, the manga became bland and uninteresting.

You don't like the Jew?

Pretty much this. I just don't care about Chise, and by extention the show.
I want to like it, but I guess I don't.

I don't like crazy villain archetypes in general, I think they make uninteresting antagonists and characters. I was hoping the manga would give Joseph a bit more character but it hasn't happened, at least yet.

What makes you feel suspense around Elias is gone? I'm caught up with the manga and I think he's still pretty spooky.

I thought at least it was interesting that the author used an established mythological base

I can understand not liking Chise repeatedly exhausting herself and collapsing I don't understand your point about Elias, I think the mixture of him feigning humanity while also being driven by unrefined emotions to be interesting.

I don't understand the way you judge shows. The first episode of a show should pull you in and make you want to watch till the end. Obviously the substance of the show should still continue to build from there up until the penultimate climax or take you up and down like a Rollercoaster in a long running show. But to be 8 episodes in out of 24, one third of the whole show, and still have to wonder "when is this going to wow me?" something is off.

I'll use an example, made in abyss had it's first episode change up the events of the first few chapters of the manga that it adapted to create more of an powerful first episode. It's that hook that it set up that probably kept a lot of people on board with the show during its mid-run pacing issues. This show hasn't set that hook yet.

It's your typical shoujo, but with great budget and artists.

The Objectively AOTY meme has been really popular for this is show in the last few weeks.

They're entirely different kinds of shows though besides the great background art. If Made in Abyss is a roller coaster then Mahoutsukai no Yome is a hiking trail, it's not supposed to wildly fluctuate and make you piss yourself with excitement. I found that the opening episode(and the prequel/flashback OVAs) served as a good hook for that kind of experience and how they establish that the fairies aren't pokemon and want to use and abuse Chise just like every other party in the series.

Did you watch the OVA? The OVA is what got me interested in it. I can see why just looking at the anime it'd be boring, but the OVA shades the narrative in a new light and makes Chise a much more interesting character as a result.

I feel like a lot of people are missing out on the OVAs because it "spoils" Ruth's nature and the fact that he joins them despite the fact that the opening does the same thing.

No, but those two are both better than this.

I think the whole point of this manga is that it’s supposed to read a bit like a fairytale. Not the happily ever after kind, but more traditional folklore. To me it’s essentially Natsume Yuujinchou if Natsume was more suicidal at the beginning. The anime is a bland adaption, but the manga is pretty good. You have to have some suspension of disbelief because the target audience is teenage girls. Let them have their comfy self-insert British magical adventure.

The problem is Chise being Japanese and not Irish. I refuse to acknowledge her as the former.

Yona was not better than this, with how her in universe appeal is staring intensely and grown men stopping in fear and awe, give me a break.

At least they're not bullshitting that she's a purebred Nip though.

I like the soundtrack and the setting. Its just that protagonist girl is... pretty much unlikable.

How long until Chise and Elias have make-up sex?

What's wrong with her?

Not that guy, but when you look at the first episodes
>she was willing to sell herself, but still hopes for the best and screams when her clothes are taken off
>blindly and naively follows the fairy in the middle of the night for no good reason
>everyone is nice to her and nice things keep happening just because

I don't think she was though the alchemists were going to have her do a naked virgin sacrifice tho

>extremely well produced mediocrity.
Extremely good choice of words.

Was the dog NTR?

It's just shoujo.

It's just genre and your tastes.

This is absolutely my favorite anime in quite a while. I like that it gives me spice and wolf vibes and is calm but interesting.

She is just so passive. Stuff happens around her for really no reason. Last ep at least she got angry so I guess theres that. I'm watching the show but haven't read the manga. Maybe it gets better as the characters develop.

Friendly reminder that it takes time to build a world and the characters. This series heavily relies on the bonds that are built between Elias, Chise, and to an extent Ruth. Think of this like a mountain, and the part where Ruth joins the cast as the peak. Everything from now on will be fast and crazy rather than slow rising. Chise is getting better at magic, as well as becoming more independent; the buildup is paid for by the result because she's not afraid to dirty her hands later on

She's emotionally fucked and a magic magnet. From next episode onwards she starts doing some things of her own volition like helping the succubus and befriending a loli.

This is where I think people would seriously benefit from watching the OVA beforehand. I felt the backstory as to why she is the way she is works to dispel a lot of the annoyance I might have had with her being so passive.

But then again, I don't really mind girls who are doormats. Assertive girls are annoying. They always think they're entitled to something. Doesn't it just make you want to slap them around a bit?

It's shounen.

It's a shounen manga, idiot.

In what sense do you mean bland? I think the color design and some of the digital effects are incredible even if the CG is grating at times. Soundtrack is good. Voice-acting is solid. It does the source justice, which I find rather surprising for a TV-production.

Chise's passivity is initially the core of her character, to the point where she barely has any self-preservation impulse. If you don't find a character who starts like that interesting, this may just not be for you.

I watched the first 3 episodes in theaters and I hated it

> extremely well produced mediocrity
I think that exact phrase was used to describe captain earth back when it was still airing.

you're a retard

I think they're just saying that it uses narrative formulas that you're more likely to find in shoujo-demographic publications, not that the work itself is technically categorized as a shoujo.

Do you think it's because you are.... hummmm... a self-absorbed teenage boy with a bad case of privilege?

Unless you further classify it by calling something alongside Shoujo or Shounen is pointless outside of demographic discussion, since a Shoujo story could almost be anything.

A shounen could portray anything, but most shounen manga have a particular "guts and effort and perseverance!" theme.
Everyone knows you're referring to the most common denomination of iyashikei works dealing with cute girls doing cute things when you say "moeshit."
A bodice ripper could certainly have a very different plot than its peers, but harlequin romances tend to have a particular flavoring and direction that uses a noticeable pattern of formulas.
A visual novel could contain anything, but even if it's not primarily a bishoujo game, it's often the case that it will have elements in common with a bishoujo game, especially regarding the character traits of its heroines.
Ditto otome games, always presenting you with a line-up of bishounen hunks, each needing to fulfill a particular niche, even if individually they put an interesting spin on that niche.

There are generic properties to each of these nonetheless diverse mediums that I think everyone knows crop up a whole bunch which come to mind when you say them. Mahoutsukai no Yome obviously feels like a shoujo story even if its published in a magazine targeted at the shounen demographic. Which is funny, because even though Chise is supposed to be the main heroine, I honestly feel like I relate more with Elias despite him being a centuries old demon-looking motherfucker who we don't get the benefit of an internal monologue from.

>I relate more with Elias
This.
Mahoutsukai is a shounen where you're identifying with a cool wizard trying to tame a girl.

Agreed, I would probably love it if it wasn't for the mc, she ruins it with her lack of personality.

>To me it’s essentially Natsume Yuujinchou if Natsume was more suicidal at the beginning.

She just doesn't have the heart Natsume does, suicidal or not.

Possibly controversial opinion: I like it

so you hate her because a cute girl who didn't get raped is just as suicidal as you are? because you got raped and she didn't? because she gets over it and you won't? because you hate everything that even reminds you of how you really feel and how weak and pathetic you act in real life?

>She just doesn't have the heart Natsume does, suicidal or not.
you dislike her for being misanthropic? you're posting on Sup Forums man come on

I never finished Twelve Kingdoms. Is it actually good? I got so bored during the flashback about the previous ruler. It just seemed like super self-indulgent shoujo, I probably would have loved it if I had watched it when I was 13.

It's a slow, world-building type of story.
Everything feels so deliberate and calculated, things rarely feel like they happened on a whim. The things that DO happen suddenly feel extremely serious because of it.
Like pic related, or the old man vaporizing in front of the succubus, or Chise punching Elias in the face
The way its structured satisfies my autism in the same way Mushishi did.

>misanthropic
She doesn't hate people, she is more boring than that.

I think Chise has the same sort of kindness that Natsume does. Natsume is the comfiest show I’ve ever seen, and I love it a lot. I can’t really pinpoint what about it makes me like it more than Ancient Magus Bride, but that isn’t to say I don’t like it. I find Chise and Natsume to be pretty similar, considering their upbringing and the core of their characters being their kindness and desire to help others at the expense of themselves.

>she was willing to sell herself, but still hopes for the best and screams when her clothes are taken off
She didn't scream, she resisted meekly. And she already knew that she wasn't going to be tied up in a sex dungeon based on auctioneer-san telling her she was valuable.
>blindly and naively follows the fairy in the middle of the night for no good reason
Elias introduced them as neighbours and neglected to inform her that they're crazy just like all the other things that have chased her throughout her life.
>everyone is nice to her and nice things keep happening just because
She's Elias' apprentice, why wouldn't his acquaintances be nice to her? You're also forgetting that Alice threw her in a lake after saying "nothing personal".

i want to fuck the dog

I want the skeleton and the girl to fuck.

I want to fuck Stella.

Does he even have a dick?

He could probably fake one just like his faces.

He's so autistic he probably doesn't even know what the mechanics are

He's probably read about it but doesn't understand the appeal.