Hack or a genius?

Other urls found in this thread:

hollywoodreporter.com/news/japans-anime-industry-grows-record-177b-boosted-by-your-name-exports-1058463
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

He's eh.
None of his works are that impressive from a directing standpoint.

>Your Name

And?
Your Name succeeded on it's visuals, not directing. Visuals is what Shinkai is actually good at.

faggot

This guy speaks the truth.

no

The directing is fine, his characters are the problem, the main reason why your name succeded where every other work he's done failed is that it had a more likable and appealing cast

He's very good, but that's widely known, so Sup Forums will mostly tell you the opposite. Not because the majority of Sup Forums believes it, but because the minority are more motivated to justify their opinion.

His directing isn't terrible, just meh. His characters, plots, and themes tend to be really mediocre, but propped up a little higher with his visual flair.
To me, Your Name isn't really that different from his other works from a strict narrative standpoint, but it is his best work by far, visually. He also didn't attempt some sort of artistic, niche theme and went for a pretty tame one that more people can empathize with.

He knows how to compose some amazing shots, that's for sure, but how his stories play out are actually pretty average. He'd probably make a killer music video but he should have someone to structure the flow of his films help out alongside him.

I Agree.
The fact that he got so big and popular this far into his development as a director actually makes me want to follow his career more closely from now on. Who knows what could come out if he keeps this level of visuals and also learns how to write a script.I Already see some improvement in that area with your name.

I still believe than The Garden of Words is his magnum opus.

>hollywoodreporter.com/news/japans-anime-industry-grows-record-177b-boosted-by-your-name-exports-1058463

At least he does something right that other directors couldn't.

>but what about the plot
>fuck the plot let's draw clouds

He made a masterpiece with The Place Promised in Our Early Days, everything else he have made have been subpar except for 5cm/s.

He does one thing only, but he's worked so much on it that he does it really well.

I think he should just embrace his visuals and go for more unconventional settings instead of just "modern day Japan".
I don't even care if he rehashes love stories all the time, I'd love to see Your Name's budget and flair in a hard sci-fi setting or even a high fantasy setting

He can only tell one story.
It's an ok story, but it gets kind of old after a while.

It´s shit

>He also didn't attempt some sort of artistic, niche theme and went for a pretty tame one that more people can empathize with.
This.

Hasn't he made stuff like that already? Hoshi no Koe was kinda sci fi

A bit, but I want to see it on the scale of Your Name.

His specialty seems to be modern day landscapes, i wonder how well he could pull off a sci fi or a fantasy setting