ANY YEAR NOW

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryūtarō_Nakamura
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Fuck I don't wanna cry today.

Stage 1: denial. ;_;

it'll probably unironically happen eventually

Never ever ever.

Yoshitoshi Abe thread? I'm about to start watching Niea_7 for the first time, what should I expect? Pointy-eared girl is a QT.

NieA is not very good

Whats that?

I've heard that a lot, general consensus seems to be that it's mediocre at best. It's the only Abe show I've never seen so I feel I have to watch it. I'm going in cautiously optimistic that I'll find something to enjoy but not expecting a masterpiece.
Literally the filename

Never ever

I asked ABe at a meet n' greet about the status of Despera but his translator basically said no information could/would be given at that time. This was about 2-3 years ago.

It'll be worth the wait

Let it go

Niea is a strange one, it has a big tonal shift in the middle and ends in a really weird place.

Not with that attitude mister, you just have to believe and have faith!

Fuck you Dad you don't control me.

On Episode 17 of Tex. Sooo glad I stuck with it, this is fucking phenomenal. Didn't expect the Class fag or more fights. Really wish Yoshii had stuck around though.

I hope you're ready

Hell yeah motherfucker. More cyberpunk grimdark cyborg gang warfare, my body is ready!

If Kizu can happen, anything can. That's what I tell myself at least.

Yoshii did nothing wrong

Damn straight.

I've heard it comes out in summer 2010

They just found a new director, give it time damnit

Ryuushika anime when

He failed

Oh, really? Holy shit I can't wait!

R.I.P. Nakamura

>just
It's been almost exactly three years since ABe was misquoted

never. and at this point I honestly hope not since Nakamura is gone. Look at the new Kino episodes and compare them to the old ones. Despera would be the same thing.

It is very good for the kind of show it is. But it is indeed weird.

How the fuck does this guy even put food on the table he hasn't done any work in 7 years

There are still good directors in the industry. Whoever made Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou is great, at least.

I don't know. the creator seems pretty depressed.

I'm talking about the director of the adaptation. Though the original author is also pretty good, if a bit suicidal.

It's surprising that MAPPA isn't already on the project, since they don't really seem to care about overtly unfundable or personal projects (they will fund anything Watanabe wants to do, for example, and they are STILL on Dreaming Machine, from the old days at MADHOUSE after Kon's death). It shouldn't be a project that would be hard to sell, since ABe's designed works are quite respected (to the point that some western fans collude everything he has worked on into ABe shows, which is kinda silly there is quite a difference between Lain/Texhnolyze and Haibane Renmei and Niea_7, for example).

The loss of Ryutaro Nakamura is great, since he was one of the most interesting and singular directors in the late 90s/2000s, but that didn't stop Texhnolyze from being made entirely with a new staff in MADHOUSE while he was working on Kino no Tabi, even though the animation was horrific for most of the early episodes (probably due to budget issues concerning "saving up" to the end). It should be considered that the real driving force in Despera (Lain and Texhnolyze) is really Chiaki J. Konaka, who is, in fact, the original writer of the whole Despera novel as far as I understand.

Maybe he just got consumed in Babymetal? I personally don't know. What director could take up this task, also? The Steins Gate director? Sayo Yamamoto, who is now swimming in cash? A heterogeneal group of freelance directors? (This could be interesting)

Not at all.

> What director could take up this task, also?
I'm still hoping that eventually Hamasaki will end up directing Despera.

I don't know if I'll be able to resist another show with such blaring whites.

i-is he dead?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryūtarō_Nakamura

i know.

I just still want to believe

Stage 2: more denial.

>8D
Stop it!

>NieA is not very good
YOU TAKE THAT BACK!

I feel like Lain and Haibane Renmei were 9's for me. I wonder if Despera would've been a 10

One of life's great mysteries. Maybs he gets NEETbux.

Was Despera actually a novel? All I had heard of was a manga made to promote the anime.
The years come and go but the tears still flow.

It's going to be worse than that

Be gettin your contemporary art history books instead lol

Oh dear.

Haha.

> he hasn't done any work in 7 years
If you mean Konaka Chiaki then he's been lecturing in The Film School of Tokyo for years now. Obviously, he's doing scriptwriting courses.

> Was Despera actually a novel?
It was supposed to be something of a multi-media project from the start as far as I know. Konaka wrote the novel which has been published monthly chapter after chapter and then anime should kind of provide its own spin on the setting and characters. It would probably eventually got a short manga adaptation, too, as these things usually go but that's just a dumb speculation.

Think of something like R.O.D for example which also, contrary to popular belief that it began as an LN series, started as multi-media project which were supposed to (and did) span LN, anime, manga, CD dorama, etc. Different spins of the same setting and characters with one creator at its core (Kurata Hideyuki).

>If you mean Konaka Chiaki
I think he meant ABe
>Despera explanation
Cool, I didn't know that.

>he's been lecturing in The Film School of Tokyo for years now.
Hasn't he dropped a single hint about the future of the project or any other project? Dude's a fantastic scriptwriter, one of the best in the industry.

> I think he meant ABe
Oh, in that case, ABe had serialized manga since 2009 which ended like 2015 or so. He published a few artbooks, held few art exhibitions, drew new illustrations for Lain and Haibane BD-boxes and provided original character designs for anime "Project D" which has been announced this year. From time to time he draws cover of some novel. And he also has new currently serialized manga Kodomo no Gourmet.

It's not like he's doing nothing.

> Hasn't he dropped a single hint about the future of the project or any other project?
Well, funny thing is that recently Konaka started up his own Twitter account (@yamaki_nyx) which basically serves as promotion for upcoming Digimon Tamers BD-box. He's not really dropping and bombshells but shares some interesting bits here and there. For instance the BD-box will pack new CD drama which will reveal a bit of Takato's and others' futures.

Sadly, I haven't noticed any hints for any upcoming projects of his.

It's a good show, it's just that most people expect too much of it having just watched Lain or Haibane Renmei. It's a decent but flawed SoL with great atmosphere in some episodes but it was made as a means for the staff to cool off after making Lain so it was never going to be a 10/10 masterpiece of the genre.

Oh, that's interesting, maybe I'll make myself an account to ask him about next stuff he's gonna make. Some of the best late announcements have come from the silliest resources: Kenji Kamiyama announced SAC 3 (?) in broken english through Twitter when an anglophone fan asked him nicely and Mushishi Zoku Shou was hinted by Hiroshi Nagahama in a Granada con of all places. I don't know how secretive Konaka might be but it might be worth to give it a try.

so I never understood the hype around this

did Sup Forums like haibane renmei alot? I watched it dubbed as a kid and got the context but it felt mediocre

It wasn't precisely the crew of Haibane Renmei, but Serial Experiments Lain (ABe, for sure; but most importantly, J. Konaka and Nakamura as writer and director respectively) who was going to be in this. It could've been the anime of the decade as far as we know .

> maybe I'll make myself an account to ask him about next stuff he's gonna make
I don't think it's worth it since his account description mentions that he won't be answering any questions. He wants to keep things Tamers related. Maybe he has some project in the works, I don't know. I want to hope, though.

Oh, what a shame. Thanks for saving me the embarassment. Also, the "no questions" rule says a lot by itself, to be honest.

ANY DECADE NOW

He's also been doing cover illustrations for a variety of books. AYNIK was most notably done by him, but there's also been a variety of other stuff he's drawn. A few months back he was featured in the Japanese ILLUSTRATION magazine.

Still, I wonder what else the guy does to make his money. He's a huge technophile and camera otaku, and Apple tech/DSLR gear doesn't come cheap. Recently he's also been updating his blog with pics from his vacation to Belgium.

Welp, completely missed how you mentioned he does cover illustrations in your post. That's a sure sign that I should get some sleep.