Imagine The End of Evangelion never existed, and the TV ending was the last we ever saw of NGE

Imagine The End of Evangelion never existed, and the TV ending was the last we ever saw of NGE.

How do you think people would look back on the series today?

Other urls found in this thread:

animeid.tv/v/until-you-come-to-me-1
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Anno probably wouldn't hate us as much as he does.

wasted potential

especially with the directors cuts

it has a great ending by itself

only brainlets like end of evangelion

wrong

This. To be honest, I still consider Eva to be wasted potential to some degree. If only there was an anime like Eva, but without the mecha.

Wouldn't change a thing. Still shit.

true

There is, it's called Flint the Time Detective.

The TV ending is the patrician ending, if anything the series would be held in even higher regard because in that timeline Gainax would have never pussied out and delivered a straight forward addendum.

Imagine if director's like Luis Buñuel or David Lynch had released straight forward re-caps to their works. It would significantly demean their reputation and standing as artists.

Although the animation on those last two episodes were poor and simplistic, it stand really well story wise as a different yet similar ending to the series.

Ignoring the animations quality difference, i cant really tell which ending is better. I dont get what the fuzz about it was back in the day. You mist be really dumb no to understand it.

As a 2deep4u clusterfuck for tryhards
So roughly the same, but less entry-level

It would have been better overall

Little difference. End of Eva is mostly an action movie anyways.

End of Evangelion is what the creators wanted to do in the show before running out of budget

Wait when did Asuka Slit her wrists? I don't remember that.

Anno still hates himself more than he hates any of us.

It's not even 2dep4u at all, they tell you straight to your face the message they are trying to convey.

Yes, and this is a perfect example on how facing adversity it brings something much better than what was planned.

The Movies are completely unnecessary, and are for the most part a cashgrab and something people wanted because they once again, failed to understand a message so simple as "move your ass and enjoy your life"

Hell no, garbage ending by itself. No amount of pseud will make it acceptable.

Episode 24, opens up with her apathetic in a bathtube. Its suspiciously red, and given that the city was destroyed about 1-2 weeks ago, its hard to believe its just rust. The main theory is that she cut herself, thats why they drugged her and she was in a coma at the start of EoE.

Another implied suicide attempt: EoE opens up with shinji drenched in the spot he met Kaworu. In the thermal expansion episode, he states he isnt a good swimmer / cant swim.
Some theorize he tried to drown himself.

embarrasing and cheesy, just how i like them.

i think it would be a better world to live in.

The nature of art is that you are always running out of everything. Running out of money, running out of time, running out of energy etc. It's an essential part of the artistic process that these pressures and limitations exist. You never have everything you want, it never turns out exactly as you imagined it. This is why it's no surprise when successful artists who are given all the time, money, and resources they could possibly want produce garbage; while some of the greatest works of our time were produced under the most strenuous circumstances with the least amount of support.

Gainiax running out of budget was the best thing that could have happened to them because it created a fertile creative soil from which innovation could rise. Necessity is the mother of invention. They were put in a position where they couldn't end their giant robot anime with a giant robot fight. It was that difficult situation that gave rise to an ending significantly more unique, intriguing, and original, one that has divided opinion and ignited discussion decades later.

Whether EoE was what was "originally planned" or not is irrelevant. Another important aspect of art is that you don't get do-overs. You have one try just as you have one life. Going back and re-doing artistic works with additional money or insight is akin to trying to go back in time and re-live your life. It's unnatural and unnecessary. Life and art are what they are because of this ephemeral nature. EoE was Gainax caving to petulant and immature fans that at the time couldn't appreciate just how significant the TV series ending was. As I said no great film director of abstruse works would go back and re-make a dumbed down ending for any of their films after the fact.

And if they did, no one would forgive them for it because "it was what they originally wanted".

>yfw rebuild is a sequel no a remake

animeid.tv/v/until-you-come-to-me-1

More like, a cash grab turned into a mistake, what a fucking load of shit.

how? no one pays for chinese cartoons here

honestly i feel like eoe and the tv ending come together to create something holistic and getting rid of either of them would decrease the value of the show. two halfs of a whole ya know. eoe (for the most part) externally shows instrumentality while tv ending is whats goin on in internally in shinjis mind (+other minds that have been connected with his) during the transition into tang, up until he decides that tang is overrated

If there was no EoE,they should have ended the anime with a shot of Asuka's red bathtub and shinji at the bottom of a swimming pool.This would be the last piece to fulfilling the deconstruction of the hero happy go lucky good wins in the end genre.

Exactly this, ever since I first watched Eva my headcanon has always been that the tv ending was shinji dealing with his internal problems within his own mind and then EoE happens during and after that. I didn't even consider both endings as separate until I saw people online talking about it that way.

Their subject matter and underlying themes are completely different. Eva is about human interaction in a very broad sense that can be applicable to just about anyone's life. Lain is about how the technological revolution will affect society and people's views on things, it deals with human interaction somewhat as a part of that, but on a much narrower scale.

It would make them less of pretentious assholes.

but episodes 25 and 26 aren't lynchian at all

all they do is fail to give an actual conclusion to the series. they basically sum up all of the morals and lessions and themes of the show and serve them on a platter to you. that anti-lynchian. that's anti-pretentious. it's actually lame as shit.

End of Evangelion is more iconic and discussed than the TV ending

I consider both different, at least starting from the instrumentality itself. The first half of EoE cover multiple questions of the Tv ending

Alfred Hitchcock, Francis Ford Coppola, David Lynch and George Lucas have all shot prequels, sequels, added deleted content into their films and otherwise done things to improve them after their release in theatres. You don't know what you are talking about

The first half of EoE + the show ending would work, like we were meant to get. Although the Tumbling down scene is flawless.

episode 24, one of her wrists is bandaged in EOE.

Eva really is wasted potential.

Show ending was better and more positive.

Any Bones original ending will tell you that.

This I feel is completely correct. Show's positivity would be sort of null without the struggle and hardship of EoE post-instrumentality image.

>Alfred Hitchcock
You mean the remakes of british films or the monstruosity the made him do to Topaz's ending?

>You have one try just as you have one life. Going back and re-doing artistic works with additional money or insight is akin to trying to go back in time and re-live your life. It's unnatural and unnecessary.

Completely absurd, user. If the artist knows what they are doing, the new images on top of the original will flourish as completely new meaning. Some anons here comment on David Lynch and it is precisely the best example in a contemporary scale (this year, precisely): Twin Peaks' "niche" grossly misunderstood the work that he put forward, and he has repeatedly given pathways to properly examine it (FWWM and The Return), expanding and butchering it alike.

Also, one could say that even if it doesn't involve "the same characters/story", the artistic creation of further works serves as a reexamination on the past, also. John Ford and his depiction of the West is a great example here.

EoE served to bring conclusion to fans, for sure, it was more comercial than the original ending, maybe less interesting and potent, but I really believe it also brings another perspective as a whole.

>You mean the remakes of british films
yes, the american version of the man who knew too much is better

Certainly.