Tournament arcs

What is their value? Why does Sup Forums hate them so much? Are there good ones?

Hating tournaments is like hating fun.

Liking tournaments is like liking filler episodes

You the guy from the BnHA vs YYH thread before?

The problem with tournament arcs is that your story moves very slowly. Things are also formulaic. They are not necessarily bad.

It's fun because it's often a good way to force characters that are usually on the same side to fight each other and compare their abilities. It also can give more obscure members of the cast the opportunity to shine. Also, given the rules, it also means characters can fight without necessarily having to die, it's not guaranteed that the MC and his friends have to always necessarily win. Problem is, they tend to get boring really, really fast. The stage is almost always the same, and even if it does change, there's only so many battles in a row one can enjoy before burning out. Not to mention they're always very long, and force the plot to grind to a standstill. They're fun in short bursts, and even then that's largely gonna depend on how well they're written.

>tournament arc ends in two episodes with two battles

reminder that the best fight of naruto took place within a tournament

I like the tournaments in HxH, in the hunter exam the last part do get a little dragged out but it's okay. in Heaven's Arena it's a good way to introduce NEN but again they could've made it a little shorter.

Did you not realise that basically every single shounen anime has those?
DB has, OP has, Fairy Tail has, Naruto has, Bleach has, everything has!
Name me one single shounen anime that doesn't has one and isn't going to get one in near future, I dare you.

bleach doesn't have a tournament

The whole anime is entire tournament arc

where is the jojo tourn?

Dark Tournament
23rd Budokai
Chunnin Exams

Those are really the only tournament arcs worth watching.

Aria.

I like them because they're usually the only times side characters get any development in shounenshit, and they allow the author to prevent the plot from advancing without making it feel too unnatural.

Tournaments can be pretty good but most of the time it just gets used as filler in long running shounen anime. Good ones have a lot of fights between side characters wich are less predictable than a fight including one of the MC'S. Like Kengan Asura's current arc.

I would like an original anime that is composed of one big tournament. There should be no definite main character and all of the entrants should be fleshed out a bit. You could even do some clever social media integration with Characters commenting on the events of an episode on twitter or other social media. This can be a neat way to build characters without wasting screen time on it in the show. This way the show can exclusively focus on the fights and maybe some TV like stuff like joke commercials and panels including fighters discussing the matches. The fanbase would be divided between all of the characters which results in the biggest waifu war ever and free advertisement for the show. I bet that if they added some musical stuff ala symphogear in it, it would be a pretty lucrative show.

Take time off the plot and throw some focus to side characters?

I'd like to see an SOL anime focused on the guys that work a tournament instead of the competitors.
Construction guys, clean-up guys, concession guys, level designers, betting bookies, etc. All the peripheral stuff.
The tournament can go on in the background, just not being the focus.

You couldn't be more wrong

Bleach is all about sneak attacks and hax

I like it when the main character loses in the first round.

I've had this exact same idea, I think it would work really well as a oneshot or a short series.

BNHA has the best tournament arc. Not even a fan of the show.

>Entire anime is a big tournament´
This could be actually pretty nice idea if done right. We have multiple "MCs" who will face each other at some point.
The only downside is, it ends at some point and what is supposed to be after the tournament is finished?

reminder that no one gives a fuck about naruto.

The winners face winners from other tournaments.
It never ends.

They care about it leagues more than namefags.

FMA

Soul Eater as far as i remember

>BNHA has the best tournament arc
It doesn't

school tournaments
then regionals
then nationals
then internationals
then we go into DBS territory with inter planetary bullshit.

Yeah no.

My original idea would be to have the winner of the tournament fight a legendary fighter who occasionally appears in the anime as commentator. The second season has the same premise as the first one expect the winner of the second tournament will fight the winner of the first one. Maybe change the rules up a bit and have team battles or something.
I'd rather not escalate the premise and have the tournament already be on a worlwide scale from the start. Otherwise it would be hard to keep the other fighters that didn't win in future seasons since they would be no-names in the grand scheme of things. And it also prevents them from participating again which fucks over the fanbase of the character.

Tournament arcs are entertaining because we have an excuse to make good guys fight each other without the need of drama. Also useful to introduce new characters.

The one from Nanatsu no Taizai is good.

I liked the tournaments in YGO except that bullshit part where Joey lost to Marik

Because they are 50% talking/explanations, 40% flashbacks, and 10% fighting.