Are there worthwhile battle shonen and if yes, why not?

Are there worthwhile battle shonen and if yes, why not?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=edUMQ2TyK1Q
youtube.com/watch?v=6yYQrisUdus
youtube.com/watch?v=K4lLAaJSEyY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Wut

you heard me

>are there any action stories that don't revolve around action?
This is stupid.
If you want stuff that doesn't center on action, there are plenty of manga around, targeted at any demographic, shonen too.

It's all the same shit, if you like one of them you will probably like the rest.

That pic is the mindset of people who visit One Piece threads these days.

>It's important to know when to stop in life.
I keep thinking about this phrase every month or so.

But there are no fights in Bokuben...

the fighting can be abstract

>he thinks all shonen is battle shounen

Not all fighting is physical

>that pic
Next you'll complain that there's sports in your sport series.

What's the fighting in Bokuben?

Well if you extend the definition of 'fighting' to include everything that involves struggle, sure, fucking everything suddenly becomes a fighting shonen

The fight with yourself to not kidnap Moeyuki and have your way with him

Could be against school tests and about acquiring enough academic prowess.

Literally every narrative work has struggle in one way or another.
Read some Aristotle you fucking retard.

>every narrative work has struggle
Not my cute girls series!

>kabob
>not dango

Even your moeblob powerpoints have struggle.

>No matter how complex a story is, it all comes down to conflict
Granted shonen tends to be PvP fisticuff conflict.

Read Shokugeki no Soma. PvP cooking.

it's made for the western audience

>No matter how complex the Odyssey is, it all comes down to FIGHTS, continuing until Odysseus gets back to his homeland.

How is that an argument ?

Deciding which pastry to eat next isn't a struggle.

>the fighting can be abstract
death note

This image would have a point if he included the word FIGHTING between shonen and manga.

where is the struggle in yotsubato

When Yotsuba fights Yanda.

Lucky Star is a Sup Forums dogwhistle, please refrain from posting it from now on.

Fuuka's struggle with her self-confidence

this its just saying that any kind of contest can be considered a "fight", not that any struggle can be considered a fight.

>This is stupid.
No, it's not. You can have action-heavy stories without structuring the story itself around a series of fights.

>it's made for the western audience
Isn't this from Even A Monkey Can Draw Manga? Or did the translators change it?

>classic epic
>weekly shounen manga

Pick one and only one

The solution is extreme planning of the narrative beforehand and introduction of late game players early.

Like Oda does, but I'm not saying Oda is perfect at it. He's done better than most though.

>extreme planning of the narrative beforehand
>Oda
Didn't Oda say at one point he planned for One Piece to last less than five years and be about fighting the Yonkou, with the Shichibukai not even existing?

>I keep thinking about this phrase every month or so.
I found the perfect "brake" for you if you ever decide to stop.

>battle shonens have many fights
whoa, whoever make this is a genius

>It always come back to fights

And? Is that a problem? The reason I read this shit is for characters I like getting into fights against others in entertaining battles.

>You can have action-heavy stories without structuring the story itself around a series of fights.
You can?

go back to r3ddit fucking shill

So, that's why American comics suck so bad.

That image was made by Sup Forums. You need to lurk more.

yes because it has anime titties
the author actually complains in the postscript when a volume has too much fighting and not enough space for onsen scenes

>with the Shichibukai not even existing?
The Shichibukai were first introduced when Mihawk appeared at the baratie, pretty early in the series (chapter 69). I think you are confused with the supernovas who were created like a month before they appeared.

If you generalize and abstract enough, everything looks simple and exactly the same as everything else. You could make a kabob with pieces that say "plot point" and say "LOL GUYS WHY DOES ALL ANIME REVOLVE AROUND PLOT POINTS"

>OP posts image from a satire
>everyone ITT takes it literally

Fuck nu Sup Forums

hero academy is literally the only good shounen.

>Are there worthwhile battle shonen

Gash Bell. Only the manga, though

Yes, you need to refine your manhood.
youtube.com/watch?v=edUMQ2TyK1Q
youtube.com/watch?v=6yYQrisUdus
youtube.com/watch?v=K4lLAaJSEyY

You mean "Even a monkey can draw manga" isn't an educational insight into the process of producing and publishing a manga? My whole life is a life.

Safest fighting kid comic in years. I agree.

To be fair, you have to be intelligent, nihilistic and with a wicked sense of humour to understand leddit humour

Not a problem, I watch Rick & Morty so I'm pretry intelligent actually.

I wish people believed in this shit.

says you

cant be, i am taking all my life and artistic advice from it

shonenshit is held back by the fact that they're written for 10 year olds. girl characters get sidelined and don't show their titties enough because half of the readers haven't hit puberty yet. everything has to be about battles and power levels because that's all little kids care about.

I'll have the classic epic, thank you.

Then this thread isn't for you

Should we save it as
"Detective Comics/MARVEL writing guide"?
Shounen manga just goes a lot further, because there is some neat escalation, and no plans.

As much as I like his attitude I only read it for the fights now. Best character is gone anyway.

On this episode of "neo-Sup Forums":
Our heroes re-discover an old satirical classic but still get defensive and irate just because they read literal kid's fiction. Tons of people do, think Harry Potter.

The supporting characters are good enough for now. I still believe that she'll be back after this arc, but if that isn't true I'm not going to be able to keep reading.

>Can't draw an actual one, so you need to use symbolic objects instead.
Post-war Japan was a mistake.

kek this is good

Homoshit was always important to shonen

Remember when you're out of ideas, make 80 new characters and proceed to slaughter them throughout the entire arc, and revive them afterwards.

How did you mane 0 chara without ideas?

Yes, Rurouni Kenshin is pretty good. Not perfect but far shorter than other battle shounens with a well balanced cast

Please, lucky star is all about the battle between Kagami and her lesbianism.

best character is genderbent MC

i assume this is an infrequent occurence?

unfortunately yes
one arc plus I think one chapter some time later

I read this right to left at first and it totally fucked with me.

One Punch Man is the best battle shounen there is

I think Shounen does a good job of turning character based interactions into a warmer form to better translate to a younger audience

If you imagine a typical conversation, or any kind of media communications on a cold/hot scale, you can say that simple dialogue is colder than a fight, which is pretty hot blooded. Traditionally, warmer media tends to be easier for an audience to 'read'

If you see the fights as conversations, this easily fixes that whole problem of a protagonist dealing with stronger and stronger opponents - Simply change the 'topic of conversation'. Maybe a win for the hero isn't actually beating the opponent, but trying to achieve a different goal? It opens the doors for more statistically independent design.

If you think of a shounen in this light, it allows for interesting encounters. A recent example would be Mob Psycho 100, Mob vs Teruki. Teruki is trying to engage in a 'conversation of ideals' with Mob, but Mob is unwilling to even 'speak' to him, which leads to frustration. Suddenly, the audience is no longer rooting for Mob to kick Teruki's ass, but for Mob to come out of the encounter mentally sound.

So TR is designed to appeal to women? Or did the manga culture change since the 80s?

*NTR. Netorare

Fuck off normalfag.

To Love-ru and To Love-ru Darkness are shonen.

Sorry, no lewds for you.

>shish kabob

not HXH. Yorkshin ended without any fighting.

Cultural translation. Essentially an example of how they explained jokes in terms of a localization. Shish kabob doesn't need an explanation compared to dango.

He did the framework for it.
He planned to go straight to the Yonkous after the Strawhats entered the Grand Line, but then he invented the Oka Shichibukai and the reason why they are seven, is because it's the coolest sounding number (as compared to Oka Sanbukai).
And then you have current day references, because he acquired taste for Game of Thrones, which you could see in the Red Weddingesque scenario Big Mom tried to play out on the Germa 66

>I want an orange that tastes like a banana.

Just stop, ever since Boku no Hero Academia got famous we have these stupid threads with retards complaining about the shounen genre. It's like the motherfucker who watches Harem and doesn't want any fanservice, are you retarded? Shounen is mostly a genre for a young demographic of children and teens, its not meant to have deep plots and drama, that would totally kill it as a product. There are plenty of good movies with action and drama, but not shounen series. Because an adult shounen is an interesting concept but a horrible business idea, you can't sell toys and other shit to adults as well as you can with kids. Don't be a delusional otaku, your beloved anime is a product that requires money to be made and needs to make profit.

Anyone else irked by the "Germa(n) Problem"?

>literally Shinpachi

My problem with them is, after getting humbled and humiliated, most baddies are all of a sudden good guys.
Germa's redemption was basically them being on the receiving end of a betrayal. They did nothing to earn it, it was handed to them.

Mob Psycho 100

Where do I find a good place with a strong enough roof to hang a 200 lb man?

woosh