Literally still the best anime 10 years later

Literally still the best anime 10 years later.

Will it ever be topped?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VT6LFOIofRE
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>babbys first animu

>babby first super robot show

Sometimes I wonder if the people who still hold up anime from 10 years ago like this just don't actually watch anime anymore or if they are just afraid to let go of the feelings of joy that they felt in their childhoods, before their lives took a turn for the worse.
I'm not calling TTGL bad or even disagreeing with you. But its quality alone would not justify these threads. People don't make a lot of threads about how NGE or Utena is the best anime ever, because they didn't watch them in their childhoods or as their first anime and their attachment to them is of a completely different nature.

babbys first comeback

Lucky Star was better.

>the robot go b-big!
Try watching some good mecha

You wish, baby bitch.

it was good until the time skip

That Gurren Lagann did not pretend to be serious is one of the best parts about it. Most anime that pretend they are not cartoons make them look ridiculous.

I bet you find Naruto amazing too.

>super robot

I watched Gurren Lagann for the first time like 3 years ago because I wanted in on the KLK hype, and it's still my favorite anime.

I agree that a lot of people are blinded by nostalgia but I think that TTGL is actually just that good

It's really just OK, its better if you like super robot but that is a very acquired taste nowadays
most people just miss how hyped people got over it I think

I like how it's just a bunch of ideas stolen from Dezaki, Getter and early Gainax.

I dunno dude, I'm not a huge mech fan but it really resonated with me.

It's a show about overcoming your limits more than it is about robots. It also helps that the robots are literally hype powered.

I also really like the way the story itself was structured like a spiral; it kept rotating around to the same themes but it got bigger and more out of control each time.

It's muh love letter, only mecha fans would catch that and they aren't the target audience for this.

> People don't make a lot of threads about how NGE or Utena is the best anime ever
Because only a retard, even by Sup Forumsermin standards, could make that assertion.

Utena is generally held to be one of the best anime of all time though, and by people who have on average watched more anime than people who think TTGL is the #1.

>I like TTGL but every Mecha besides Eva is Gundumb!
Please, if you wanted to bait me you're going to have put more thought into your shitposts. Also watch more Mecha anime.

UC gundam is good shit, I don't understand.
also, TTGL is not really for mecha fans, it's even fucking super robot.

As someone who was on Sup Forums 10 years back and who spent copious amounts of time defending TTGL 8 or 9 years ago against smug mecha fans, it's hilarious to see it being treated as nostalgiabait now.

I haven't really posted here in 4-5 years, so I don't know what's considered to have "supplanted" TTGL (My first thought is Madoka), but great anime are great, regardless of when they came out.

>I don't know what's considered to have "supplanted" TTGL
I don't think you actually read my post.

>but great anime are great, regardless of when they came out.
They really aren't. There are shows even from 2007 that are really awkward to watch nowadays and are obviously products of their time and there are some that are timeless. I really do think TTGL is nostalgiabait because it came out in the height of popularity of anime in the west and was very popular and "hyped".

Imashi and Nakashima have always maintained that they were pastiching super robot shows they grew up watching.

And Gurren Lagann is better than any Go Nagai / Ken Ishikawa work adapted into anime.

I wasn't really replying to you as much as I was making a general comment.

Gurren Lagann absolutely holds up to a rewatch, it feels like it could have been released last year.

Also anime is more popular in the West now that ever before, I have no idea where you got the notion that anime's popularity in the west has done anything but grown since 2008

>And Gurren Lagann is better than any Go Nagai / Ken Ishikawa work adapted into anime
This. It always baffles me when people say garbage like Getter Robo Armageddon is anywhere near on the same level as TTGL.

Getter Armageddon and Mazinkaiser are better.

you must be new to animu.

besides, real men read manga.

It is hard when all the studios stopped to make good mecha shows after 2007

More like

>it was good until Kamina died

FLCL was better.

If they aren't great now they weren't great then. Also, if you can't ignore a cliche because it wasn't a cliche at the time you are garbage.

who do I believe here

Me.

Who are you?

Me.

So is Getter better? Should I watch it?

Not him but every Getter anime is trash. Read the manga, since it has some legit good parts. TTGL is still better though.

Kill la Kill was better.

TTGL is fucking trash compare to getter

TTGL > Getter manga >>>>> shit >>>>>>> any Getter anime > _____(You)

Now in back where I started.

madoka was better

But user, Kiru ra kiru was a better show and it was even from the same team.

2007 - 2017 anime better than TTGL:
Kaiba
The Tatami Galaxy
Mawaru Penguindrum
The Wind Rises
Ping Pong
Uchouten Kazoku
Kill la Kill
Space Dandy
Princess Kaguya
Wolf Children

Just read Getter Robo, Getter Robo G, Getter Robo Go, Shin Getter Robo and Getter Robo arc in that order so it doesn’t ruin the mystery. Ignore any Getter anime.

Totally this.

Why would you kill the funniest character.

Evangelion changed the entire anime industry.

What did gurren lagan acomplish? meme anime of the season.

More like:
>it became good after kamina died

>he still doesn't get that Kamina was a blatant plot device
top kek

>it became good after kamina died

Literally the opposite. The show traded in an interesting/entertaining MC for a dull one, swapped the big-breasted sniper out for a loli moeblob, and started sidelining comedy and worldbuilding- if that's the word I want- in favor of forced drama and hollow (if stylish) fights. Everything people have since admitted to hating about the show post-timeskip has it's roots in the episodes immediately following Kamina's death.

>TTGL
>Watched in their childhoods
Is that the kind of show you think this is? How old are you?

I like this show merely because it makes people angry that people enjoy it.
It's like eromanga sensei, except eromanga sensei is actually good.

ITT mechafags cry about how their favorite mecha show isn't liked by normies

We still get good OVAs occasionally, like Mazinkaiser SKL and Gundam Thunderbolt.

>Space Dandy
>Wolf Children
>Kill la Kill
Not even close, you plebshit.

And I beg to differ. Kamina utterly disgusted me with the mask of a showman, and the way he acted. It was all so fake I wanted to puke. Was about to drop the show when he finally fucked off.

it entertained me. enough for me

2bh Simon was a really dull character. He had his moment of brilliance at around episode 11 or so but his boring personality drug the entire second half down.
I don't understand how imaishi could have all these fun, quirky side characters yet make Simon a piece of wet cardboard.

Thankfully he rectified that with Ryuuko in KLK.

More like:
>it was good until Kamina died then it struggled for five episodes or so, then got good again.

this desu
ep 11 remains my favorite episode from anything ever

>TTGL
>not entry tier

it did not even top Genesis of Aquarion

>entry tier
No one cares about how popular things are, except hipsters. It has no bearing on the quality of a work.

Getter Armageddon is shit past episode 3.

Manga and Shin vs. neo are the partician entries

>kek la kek
>better than anything

>Gurren Lagann fan allowed to have any say on classic anime

Neck yourself

Better than TTGL at least.

Every month or so I go through the OST and reminisce. Such a good show
youtube.com/watch?v=VT6LFOIofRE

Heh. I like TTGL, but pretending it's somehow more "patrician" than Wolf Children is hilarious.

Wolf Children was pretty bad desu

Not really a counter-argument desu

I've basically stopped watching tv anime, I still read a lot of manga and watch movies though. The last one I tried was juuni taisen. before that It had probably been like 2 or 3 years since I last watched something.

Why would I? Trigger has only produced disappointments or fluff. Noitamina deteriorated. Can you name a handful of tv anime since say 2011 that a reasonable critic would hold in the same tier of quality as Gurren Lagann?

The last time I watched that I'd be happy with people calling better than Gurren Lagann (although I personally liked it less) was Madoka.

So seriously, what have I genuinely missed on tv since the end of 2011?
It really isn't outrageous to call Gurren Lagann the best anime since 2007.

I wasn't the original guy. I just wanted to chime in and shit on Wolf Children.

Fair enough, I guess. I still liked it better than TTGL.

>he hasn't seen Ninja Slayer

>pls spoonfeed my casual ass
TTGLfags being cancer as usual.
Fuck off.

Terrible anime. Some girl I was dating once got me to watch it and that's probably the worst thing she ever did to me.

Also just to keep things in proper perspective the same girl did try to stab me once.

>hurr that makes it bad

Get real, You're clearly just saying that to try and show off your newfag knowledge and try to fit in. You probably weren't even browsing Sup Forums when Gurren Lagann came out; as if you had watched a bunch of Dezaki anime (hardly the biggest source of inspiration to TTGL so I think you probably failed at name dropping and probably meant to say go nagai or ken ishikawa or someone else ) before watching TTGL so the fact it was influenced by those shouldn't mean anything to you.

And so what? Evangelion was influenced by Space Runaway Ideon, but as if more than like 2 people on Sup Forums watched that before watching evangelion.

So to say "hurr evangelion steals from ideon so I don't like it and it is bad" is such poseur, tryhard bullshit.
The same as it is here.

true.

Only the first episodes directed by the director of Giant Robo and G gundam hold a candle to TTGL.
horse shit. getter armageddon is hands down inferior and mazinkaiser is fun but doesn't have any real punch.

Neon Genesis Evangelion
Gundam Wing
Trigun
Anime today looks like bullshit to me. (also, Anime fans themselves have kind of ruined the scene)

It's shit and cancer like everything by nu Gainax.

>Wings of Honneamise
Literally the greatest anime film of all time. A truly beautiful and ambitious film, tastefully done and with a good message.

>Gunbuster
>Nadia
>Evangelion
>FLCL
>Gurren Lagann
All bullshit pedobait that panders to waifufags with no standards.

What happened?

>older brother introduces me to TTGL
>tries to beat me to death years later over political arguments

Really gets the noggin joggin. What is it about TTGL that attracts violent people?

It appeals to niggers with its (c)rap music

oh come on now
>kaiba
not so good compared to other yuasa anime
>tatami galaxy.
fair enough. Here's one anime in TTGL's league
>mawaru penguindrum
wasted potential. It's the kind of anime you watch because something tells you that it's going to get good. the series composition failed.
>The Wind Rises
I missed this one.
>Ping Pong
I can understand why people like this one but having read the manga and seeing how many poor choices and execution the anime adaptation has, I can't think too highly of it. suffers from being plainly a less good than the manga , often unnecessarily.
>Uchouten Kazoku
missed this one
>Kill la Kill
who could seriously believe this?
>Space Dandy
haven't watched it but judging by the reception when it came out and the fact that it's episodic and wacky/whimsical, I'm doubt it should really be considered in the same league as ttgl
>Princess Kaguya
Not seen
>Wolf Children
not seen.

this list feels a little barrel scrapey and even then there are 10 or fewer anime that are potential peers of TTGL, and one resorts to movies (although I feel if allowing movies there are more than one that could be suggested).

I'm not casual because I know that I read more manga than you and have better taste in manga than you.

If you want to convince me that there have been any anime in the same league as TTGL since 2012 , here's your big chance, champ.

TTGLfags take pride in their ignorance of anime, especially older mecha. None of them can hope to compare to the grand epic of TTGL, so why bother?

>claims TTGL is one of the greatest anime ever
>hasn't even seen the most basic 3x3-core shows
Makes me wonder if there's a connection between praising TTGL and low powerlevels.

I didn't mean 12 year old. I meant 17 years old, legally a child.
And I'm 31, if you must know.

>Kaiba
Went downhill after it went into the main storyline
>The Tatami Galaxy
Apples / Oranges comparison to TTGL.
>Mawaru Penguindrum
Forgot about this show. Good shit.

>r-really, I'm not a casual, please please spoonfeed me!
I only want to tell you to fuck off.

>Dating girls into anime
There's your problem. They're either mentally ill or attention whores.

>Claim something without providing any proof
>When called out on it proceed to call people names and act like an oldfag
Every time.

>>Claim something
Nothing was claimed, other than that you are a casual who's asking for recommendations.

>Core 3x3
>Anime made after 2012

>who could seriously believe this?
I'll bite. KlK and TTGL are basically the same thing - loveletters to over-the-top hot-blooded shonen anime, only KlK doesn't despise its own characters the way TTGL seems to. You only like TTGL better because you saw it first. KlK was a far more enjoyable show.

For your information I am not that user. I just find it funny you refuse to back up your statement shielding yourself with spoonfeeding, when the entire board is one big recommendation thread.

why did japs stop making super robots show ?