Will it ever be topped?

Will it ever be topped?

CHERRY BLOSSOM
CHERRY BLOSSOM

No.

AO blew it out of the water

I was about to make a thread and ask why I got the feeling that this could have been done in half the amount of episodes. Ive watched ~200 mecha anime and pushed E7 for so long, and I really didnt regret it. Finished in today and I really dont get where all this "incredible character development" that people try to desperately shoe-horn into this show is supposed to be. Not even gonna start on the fact that the ending is so incredibly cheesy its almost sickening.

>Ive watched ~200 mecha anime
There's your problem. You're retarded.

Season 3 is coming out soon

This, I couldn't stomach the original gundam and I can't fathom people watching 200 of those retarded shows.

So eureka got pregnant when she's still 16 years old?

fuck don't remind me

Wait, does something like that exist?

The ending was so cheesy it circled back to being kind of awesome. It'd be embarrassing to have a heart with your names on the moon though.

It might have been good back then when one is younger.

Soon

>Ive watched ~200 mecha anime
Thats why. Retards like these and don't watch mecha anime which us ronic considering how much E7 stole from Gundam and other superior series

>stole
See, this is literally a non-argument. I don't care about originality because it's an arbitrary concept. I don't watch mecha anime because the ones I've watched (read: gundam) are unprofessional cringy children's advertisements with ZERO production values. Now go tell me why someone that isn't involved in the industry should care about originality? I'm consuming media. Not purchasing stocks.

>Let me eat shit
Okay user. Nobody is telling otherwise

All your post tells me us that ypu haven't seen most Gundam let alone mecha anime in general hence why you hold shit like E7 in high regard.

What if he just likes seeing mechas skysurfing?

>no argument

>all your posts tells me is you haven't
Okay, then why do you respond. You're wrong. My post tell exactly what it is they tell. Nothing more, nothing less. So why claim only a portion?

>you haven't seen most gundam
Never claimed I did.

>let alone mecha anime in general
I have not seen mecha anime in general? What kind of stupid claim is that?

I am the one who made the original post and I personally think that execution > premise any day, but even if I do that I dont see whats supposed to be so special about E7. There are many shows that do world building better, and needing 50eps for the tiny bit of character development (outside of Renton and Eureka) that the show has really wasnt sufficient in my book. The show is from 2008 as well, but its production value are far from being as high as many claim. Yes, there are some pretty animated combat scenes and there is some pretty detailed character art at time, but its audio direction for example pales in comparison to some of Bones own shows, and the overall art really wasnt anything spectacular. In fact, most of it, particularly the backgrounds, were fairly generic. So I am not sure what sort of "production values" youre referring to here, especially considering the fact that the amount of well animation fights probably doesnt even trascend 10 minutes in total, for 1200minutes+ of overall screentime.

Also, if you wanna talk about production values and Gundam, you might wanna watch 0083, which has better overall art direction and animation than almost anything else in the entire gerne.

>keeps teasing cool shit
>a lot of episodes feel like they're just filler
>never really explored a whole bunch of ideas that kept being teased (example: that shit with the house where he fell asleep never went anywhere)
>last episodes is literally "ayy lmao it were aliens all along"
Was rather dissapointing.

Glad I could find an E7 thread, I was just thinking about it and came to another new realization after all these years. Not really new I guess, but it's a topic I hadn't traced to all of its conclusions since the basic points are self-evident.

It's sort of obvious, but there's an interesting parallel between Renton/Adroc and Dewey/Holland/their father in terms of the sacrifice king mythology. Renton didn't kill his father, but Adroc was essentially sacrificed to the land to maintain stability. Whereas Dewey arrogantly overturned the natural order and was rejected, Renton could be viewed as the legitimate heir accepted by the world. Holland is clearly portrayed as a "reject" whose path is accepting that he isn't the one as opposed to Dewey who sets out to disassemble the reality which rejected him. It's especially interesting stuff if you're into the cultural mythological studies which The Golden Bough signifies.

And it will never be topped because shows do not get 50 episodes anymore. We're lucky to get a good show that goes to 2cour, like Sakura Quest or such.

The actual script writing has plenty of flaws, but it is an absolute masterpiece in terms of narrative composition. It's not that it's 2deep4anyone, but there are many strands of variants on the basic premises of the show (coming of age, love, family, control of the world, heroic journey) woven together so that it can be picked apart in various ways to consider different aspects of those premises. This simplistic but rich narrative combined with how well the setting and aesthetics are established to reinforce the thematic elements are why E7 is so acclaimed. Even though it certainly isn't perfect, it offers a lot of content with stand-out factors such as an amazing OST, nifty robot action, great visual design, and voice performances so great that the annoying characters are so genuinely annoying that a lot of people get put off by the show and proclaim it to be garbage.

>So I am not sure what sort of "production values" youre referring to here
Referring to Gundam looking like shit mostly.

Well then, if 50 episodes of Eureka Seven were too much to slog through, then it's good that there's recap anime movies that only focus on the essentials, right?

that's like trimming off sides of a painting just to fit it on your wall

>but it is an absolute masterpiece in terms of narrative composition.
So this is the power of bad taste

Sometimes, all you care about is the Mona Lisa herself, and not the background that most likely also holds tons of interesting information if you analyze it long enough.

Refute my arguments, I dare you.

saw her in real life, overrated shit and a bunch of immature sheeple trying to push child-me out of the way just to get a closer look at it, fucking shits

And?

Those entrance fees probably cost a lot.

>The actual script writing has plenty of flaws, but it is an absolute masterpiece in terms of narrative composition.
What I get from this that you acknowledge for the writing to be flawed, but you liked the themes that were tackled.

>it offers a lot of content with stand-out factors such as an amazing OST, nifty robot action, great visual design, and voice performances
Ahem, first of, none of this is content worth 50eps, its something that you can gain from a movie or short films. Quite frankly, I wouldnt even call it content. The focus of a tv show should be on its narrative, and you already acknowledged for that to be flawed. Now, I am not sure why youd claim for E7 to have an "amazing OST" when it has no more than 3-4 memorable tracks, which is almost nothing, especially when compared to other Bones productions suhc as RahXephon. Nothing about the voice acting stands out in any form of shape, neither does the OVERALL quality of the animation since its pretty standard for the vast majority of its runtime. A few very well animated sequences dont really change much about that. Whether or not the character designs are garbage or great is pretty subjective. I know that it received an award for them, but quite frankly I really dont see why. The designs themselves arent overly detailed or unique.

Kids probably get in at a discount

It was shit , Renton should have fucked Talho while Holland and the rest of the assholes of Gekkostate watched

>talho
>fucking used goods

>The designs themselves arent overly detailed or unique.
Communicative clarity is the only metric that matters when judging designs. That's also a more objective metric since it's solely based on the amount of information the design encodes. Because the viewer can parse a lot of information about characters and the setting from the designs, it has great visual design. For example, you instantly know that the Nirvash is special because it's design is filled with nods toward super robot heroic mecha and Gundam-like coloration. By contrast, the design of TheEND is instantaneously recognizable as an enemy of note. This comes down to little details such as the point that TheEND broke a design rule the other LFOs were bound by, the use of a board. The pair belonging to Ray and Charles share many of the qualities of TheEND, creating a tension with the audience as Renton comes into contact with them. Even without any other information about them, those design features reveal their role in the narrative.

> The focus of a tv show should be on its narrative, and you already acknowledged for that to be flawed.
I said the script writing has plenty of flaws, which would cover dialogue, structure, and pacing rather than the narrative. If the show were to progress by focusing on the narrative only, it wouldn't be worth watching even if it were 24 episodes. Dominic and Anemone? Cut them, the only part of the narrative that is necessary is Renton's movement toward the conclusion of stopping Dewey. Ray and Charles can get axed too. Let's get rid of the kids; a lot of people would like that, right? Renton and Eureka can just say stuff about family in their dialogue to get across that theme and so there's no need to have extraneous characters representing it. That episode about the hermit dude with the catatonic waifu? Cut it.

This makes me curious, what do you think should be cut that it would be possible to squeeze into a movie?

He's talking about the true ending shown in the vol.12 dvd cover

I'm just depressed thinking about it.

>Dominic and Anemone? Cut them
Neither got much development and their love confession came out of nowhere.
>Let's get rid of the kids; a lot of people would like that, right?
Yep they didn't serve any point.

The notion that you have to have a shit load of episodes to tell a story is retarded as fuck. If the writing is strong enough on its own then it can tell a story in 13 episodes. All you're saying is that E7's writing wasn't strong enough to sustain its own narrative.

>keeps teasing cool shit
>a lot of episodes feel like they're just filler.

I knew I wasn't the only one who felt this.

Didn't stop holland, and the douche deserves it

>If the writing is strong enough on its own then it can tell a story in 13 episodes.
This has to be the dumbest statement I've seen in awhile. I guess LotGH could have been 13 episodes. NGE? Shit writing wasn't strong enough to sustain its own narrative.

The point of storytelling isn't to butcher a narrative down to its shortest possible iteration. No one gives a shit about a summary of events, what defines a good narrative is the quality of its thematic discourse. If there's commentary on the aspect of human life called "family," you have to show various examples of family and push those examples through to conclusions which can be compared with each other in the context of understanding the creators' mesages. This is why you are retarded as fuck for not understanding why there were 50 episodes. How the fuck is Renton supposed to try out all sorts of different configurations of proxy families (Gekkostate, Ray and Charles, Eureka and the kids) if the story is 13 episodes long?

>love confession came out of nowhere
It's not like Dominic's first major appearance in the story revolves around him already being enthralled by her. Oh shit, don't forget about Anemone's slide into depression as she considers that she drove away the one person who didn't make demands of her.

>they didn't serve any point
They served multiple points throughout the show. In the beginning, Renton became associated with them at an "equal" level to show his immaturity. Their relation to Eureka served as an obstacle to Renton's conceptualization of a future with Eureka in a way representative of an unwillingness to commit tangent to his immaturity. Later, of course, they operate to show Renton and Eureka successfully forming a family (somewhat ignoring the fact that they skip out on them at the end). For Eureka, they are representative of her realization of the concepts of life, death, and responsibility.

>quartz gun bullshit
>truth's entire existence as a character
Did we even we even watch the same show?

>How the fuck is Renton supposed to try out all sorts of different configurations of proxy families (Gekkostate, Ray and Charles, Eureka and the kids) if the story is 13 episodes long?
Not him but what youre listing here isnt worth 50episodes, and youre just hyperboling the living hell out of his post. Saying that it was too long for 50eps doesnt mean it should be 13. Same way you asked the other guy how to turn it into movies because he said that visuals are something best transported through them since its easier to uphold a high production standard for 2 hours rather than 10+. Besides, none of what you list takes even 25eps, and it didnt in the show. Ray and Charles "family arc" was quite literally 2 episodes long. Youre telling us that the other 2 required/had 48eps? Because they didnt, not even close.

What's wrong?

So start listing episodes that could be cut. Questioning how it would be condensed to 13 episodes is not hyperbolic in the slightest because that poster literally said "If the writing is strong enough on its own then it can tell a story in 13 episodes." The same with the questioning of how it would be done as a movie, which I brought up because the poster said "[the content of E7's narrative is] something that you can gain from a movie."

So what the fuck is there to drop when I can go on and on about how all of it relates to the different ideas at work in the show? Why is a 13 episode run somehow inherently better than a 50 episode run? If it isn't, you have to start bringing up specific examples of "waste" in the show which don't add to the thematic discourse. There's even some low hanging fruit like the courier prank episode or the one with the scummy uncle.

You'll never preg a cute 2d alien or fly space skateboards.

i prefer impregnating talho desu

This better be as good as advertised.

Your first paragraph is completely nonsensical you fucking retard. He was simply referring to you implying that "more is better", when a proper story can easily be told in 13eps. That doesnt mean that E7 can. Jesus christ, youer one annoying little nigger arent you? The other guy also SPECIFICALLY SAID that what you listed as content (OST, animation, art direction, seiyuu performances etc.) is something that is best focused on in a movie because thats what you go for when you want high production values for the entire thing and not just a couple scenes. Youre fucking illiterate or something. Youre also unable to not see the world in either black or white. Its either 13 or fucking 50 episodes. Something inbetween? Nah nah, dun work fellas. Responding to you is a waste of fucking time, so Ill stop to waste mine now.

18-24 episodes is fine.

>Youre also unable to not see the world in either black or white. Its either 13 or fucking 50 episodes. Something inbetween? Nah nah, dun work fellas. Responding to you is a waste of fucking time, so Ill stop to waste mine now.
I asked of you to cite specific examples of content which could be cut. You've failed to do this. Not even one episode could you name to support your side of the argument. I gave you some freebies to use and you still did nothing but shitpost.

>This has to be the dumbest statement I've seen in awhile
You must be the dumbest poster I've seen in a while.

>It's not like Dominic's first major appearance in the story revolves around him already being enthralled by her.
It doesn't. Dominic's whole ordeal is that he had to babysit her because it was his duty and was focused on other shit nowhere does it show that he was infatuated with her.

>Oh shit, don't forget about Anemone's slide into depression as she considers that she drove away the one person who didn't make demands of her.

You mean the shit that came out of fucking nowhere and had no fucking build up?

>They served multiple points throughout the show.
They didn't and everything you wrote is bullshit since Renton pretty much served the exact same role

>They didn't and everything you wrote is bullshit
Masterfully crafted argument. Try again when you're ready to graduate beyond shitposting.

Holy fuck, I just rewatched the episode wherein they send Renton on the prank errand. There are so many interesting touches I'd forgotten about. There's a cut from Dewey bringing up the Coralians to Renton looking at his trophy photo of Eureka. Then, at the end of the episode where Holland is watching the tape, the part he's watching is Renton's rant about getting depressed before accomplishing anything, which of course relates to Holland's own state of despair over having to shoulder the weight of the world and questioning whether he's supposed to be Eureka's partner. Such a great little episode.

>I'M RIGHT AND YOU'RE WRONG THE END
Masterfully crafted argument. Try again when you're ready to graduate beyond shitposting.

I think this is the only fanbase that'll make a big deal about stupid shit that don't matter

It's very important to make it sound like watching children anime like Eureka Seven is a very intellectual process in an attempt to get more little kids to watch it so that they too can pretend to be very smart.