Help me find something

There is a hypothetical scenario where a russian (I think) said something about exploding a megaton bomb somewhere in the middle of the attlantic ocean would cause a huge wave that would basically destroy both a huge part of the US' East Coast and The entire Western europe. I forgot the name of this scenario. It was proposed during the cold war.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 88K)

Other urls found in this thread:

google.com/search?q=russia nuclear torpedo tidal wave&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjA4orCl4raAhUL7mMKHTE3A8UQ_AUIDCgD&biw=1044&bih=625&dpr=1.5#imgrc=Fgq5u9eAr9rW6M:
youtu.be/qDMUekfOR-E
youtu.be/A7eb1DHZ9GQ
what-if.xkcd.com/15/
google.co.uk/maps/@27.9441669,-15.7955354,651571m/data=!3m1!1e3
youtube.com/watch?v=A7eb1DHZ9GQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

bump

Seen the video, older Russian guy, older quality video. The proposed place wasn't the middle of the atlantic ocean though I think, but rather off the coast of major cities.

Brooo I know what you're talking about. It was a talk show, and the dude saying it was a scientist from Russia. No idea how to find it..

100 megaton warhead google.com/search?q=russia nuclear torpedo tidal wave&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjA4orCl4raAhUL7mMKHTE3A8UQ_AUIDCgD&biw=1044&bih=625&dpr=1.5#imgrc=Fgq5u9eAr9rW6M:

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-03-26 at 7.21.00 AM.png (422x560, 273K)

Fug. Thanks for the bump.
> but rather off the coast of major cities.'
This might help. i can't believe I am not able to find anything about that. Maybe I will try a different search egnine.

Wold not work.
The energy evem by a megaton blast is many orders of magnitude smaller than for example the Samoa earthquake that cause the 2009 tsunami in Japan.

um the wave doesn't have to travel hundreds of miles, just one or two. it'll still be plenty big at that point. that said just nuke the fucking city why bother with a damn wave!?

>500m tsunami

The volume of water displaced by 50MT blast (like the tsar bomb) is nowhere near enough to cause such a wave.
This is the nuclear fantasy equivalent of people doing backflips when hit by a bullet in action movies.

Attached: 1518193588136.png (408x601, 373K)

That's not it. I mean, it is the same idea but I am looking for the term to research it more thoroughly.

No, it would not.
If the detonation is just 2 miles of the coast of any US city, there would not be enough water depth (read volume) to create such a wave.
At 2 miles from shore most places have only a few 10 meters depth.

Look at the famed baker test!
There is no high wave, despite being detonated 55m under the surface.

Attached: baker.jpg (1920x1008, 378K)

I refuse to believe that these hips are real.

Marianas trench. But that would destroy the whole planet.

What?

I couldn't find what you're looking for. I did find the video of the your pic. youtu.be/qDMUekfOR-E

>water displaced

That's not how Tsunami work, dumbo. The point is to trigger a seismic chain reaction along the Mid-Atlantic Ridge.

I remember the video, I looked into it and it wouldn't work. All you'd get is a huge column of slightly warmed water.

He probably got his info from this gay ass fake video. youtu.be/A7eb1DHZ9GQ

Can I trust you on that? How long did you research for?

>Cold war
>Talk show
That sounds like a factually inaccurate joke with the intent to monger fear should any Europeans or Americans find the broadcast.

Are you retarded?
What you just shat on your keyboard is so wrong, not even the opposite would be right.

Getting real sick of your seismic events caused by bombs shit. I bet you're one of those "OMG WHAT IF THEY NUKE YELLOWSTONE" people too.
There is not, nor will there ever be, a bomb so powerful that it could cause an earthquake, or indeed blast straight through six to ten miles of solid rock and release the Yellowstone magma chamber. The forces involved in dramatic geological events are so much larger than those involved in nuclear weapon detonation that it's like the difference between accidentally walking into something while you're not looking and crashing a Boeing 767 into the World Trade Center

what-if.xkcd.com/15/
turns out XKCD man did it

People actually belive that?
I mean people older than 14?

>100 megaton nuke
>in a torpedo
riiight

Let's use theoretical model where water has no viscosity, no energy is transferred to phase change and water can move only along parallel of latitude. On base of these assumption it is 100% possible to create tsunami.

Why would they waste a nuke by dropping it a couple of miles away from the coast? Dropping it dead center on the city would probably create more havoc than any wave it can create

It says so on a shitty image. Must be true.
Remember pic related?

Attached: rumsfeld-s-cave.gif (698x785, 164K)

Lol a Tsuniami has a small order of magnitude itude more energy than a 100 megaton bomb, this would irradiate a few fishing and cargo boats though
Al

undetected delivery, subverting anti-ballistic memes, etc.

shot baker was a 23 kilo a bomb, an order of magnitude smaller than a h bomb.

I'm subscribed to atomcentral on YouTube and they have some water shot footage that made a decent wave at shore. the depth of detonation is important.

Just look at OPs pic! This Baker test during operation crossraods was literally a test for creating tsunamis.
Nothing came of it.

Yeah, this is about right.

You dont know much about geology m8.

Man, because they have done it incorrectly. First you need to nullify effect of viscosity, then you need to make sure that no water evaporates and all energy is changed into kinetic movement and also it is much better to direct water only into 2 directions, letting it flow in all direction is also lose of energy. Very inefficient.

aight thanks.

I watches those movies, too. All of them. Now what?
All Baker created was a small wave, indistinguishable from ocean surf when it reached the nearest island a mile or two from ground zero.
You simply cannot build a PRACTICAL bomb large enough to make weaponized tsunamis.
A submergable tsunami bomb would have to be the size of a crude oil tanker.
This is plainly unfeasible.
Now stop with these stupid comic book fantasies!

Attached: germbal.png (299x300, 15K)

I am not sure if you are trying to be ironic.

Nah, I am completely serious.

>implying nukes are real

Oh, in that case I am very sorry.
Please stop with the drinking, Ludoslaw and call your mother! She worries.

>Tfw no Hot Polish Milf Mom to Call

you obviously didn't see the video I'm talking about, and you obviously don't comprehend the difference in scale between kiloton and megaton devices.

i never claimed a tsunami could be replicated but a dangerous storm surge absolutely could. but as i also said, it's a bad idea so just nuke the damn city.

Idk, it would seem to me, it would be much more devastating if it were done in depth of 100-200 feet deep or less. People imagine these huge 400 foot tidal waves, but the fact remains, that a 400 foot wave would take a tremendous amount of water. You can't have a wave that takes more water than what the depth is. In order to do that, it would have to be in deep water, but the energy to do that just isn't possible as far as I know. It would just disperse for the most part.

Here's the picture of a guy talking about it

Attached: 1520942668443m.jpg (728x1024, 204K)

>i never claimed a tsunami could be replicated
Then what are you doing in this thread?
Go an not-claim things elsewhere!

e
a
e
a
e
a
Nani????

>Sacharow
Genau mein brudi. Thank you.

It's actually sakharov I think man, but I'm still having a difficult time finding what you're looking for.

well stop pointing to crossroads baker like it's the end-all of aquatic weapons tests.

I once read that the right amount of H-bombs going off simultaneously could possibly ignite the oceans. Now put that in your pipe and smoke it.

The Canaries lie on a fault line. Tenerife has a giant crack running down the middle of one of it's mountains. Theoretically, a nuke detonated in that fault could cause half the island to slide into the sea. The resulting tsunami would sweep across the Atlantic and drown the entire eastern seaboard of the United States. But they would have several hours to evacuate and prepare.
This is the worst case tsunami I can think of for the U.S. short of a comet strike just off the coast (in which case tsunami's would be the least of your worries).

>The Canaries lie on a fault line
Oh, really?
And what fault line would that be?

Are you being sarcastic? It's literally volcanic. On a chain of volcanic islands.
Here: Look for yourself.
google.co.uk/maps/@27.9441669,-15.7955354,651571m/data=!3m1!1e3

What you describe is not a fault line.
The canaries are built up by hot spot volcanism and are not an island arc/chain like the Aleutians or Kurils.
Fault lines are generally NOT associated with volcanism.
Tenerife is just an unstable island about to collapse like for example the Hawaiian Islands.
This is high school level geography.

>Kraut autist spergs over inaccurate description of his high school class
Refute any of it's effects I described, you nitpicking cunt.
No-one likes you. Not even your mother.
This board is for over 18's, btw.

Better believe it, user

>> If You Detonated a Nuclear Bomb In The Marianas Trench

I hope someone will do it

You mean detonating a nuclear bomb in Mariana trench?

Impossible. There still are Russian shows that talk about aliens and Antarctic Nazis and whatnot, you probably saw an episode of that.

That still wouldn't do what OP says, it would cause global tectonic plate shifts (earthquakes) instead.

I sure do!

Attached: bin ladens fortress.gif (640x635, 223K)