Do female mangaka write better female characters?

Do female mangaka write better female characters?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=iYVO5bUFww0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

No. They write better men, in my opinion.
Honestly, art is so subjective that the author's gender could or could not matter a lot, depending on your own and your own perspectives.

Yes

yes

They seem to draw better girls at least.

That's so true, especially loli

Given the sheer bulk of Shoujo heroines that are doormats. I can't say that they do.

People write what they know. Generally people do a better job writing characters of their sex. Personally, I don't think men should sweat too much over writing a "good" female and vise versa, because it's always a matter of perception.

Also remember the characters are often written with the audience in mind; in other words, female characters in shounen/seinin manga are written for males and male characters in shoujo/josei are written for females. Sure a mangaka could have an incredible understanding of both men and women or can skillfully craft great characters of either sex, but a lot of manga is just entertainment, junk food, and pleasing the readers is what's important.

Most definitely not.

I think so

If FMAB is just the best shonen period

they can use themselves as reference.
if the men can't find a good reference on the internet they just have to guess.

>thicc mangaka draws thicc girls
the savior we need

Yes

Writing a good character is hard for both sexes, so they usually result to giving them stock personalities with minor quirks. The only time we ever see interesting characters are the main heroes, which is usually male due to audience demographics. Most other characters are filler/waifubait with personalities the exact same as dozens of characters from other anime. The few mangaka who can actually into character writing usually write their male and female characters of equal quality, depending on how story important they are.

Not period, semicolon. Like this:
If (FMAB = just_the_best_shonen) {/*stuff*/};

Might as well delete that line because the content within that block will never be reached.

yes. Even if they are love interests they at least feel more like people rather than "cute maidens" or helpless damsels

Better manly characters as well

Nope

i love this meme

>based netorare
>meme

recently saw Skip Beat.
I think they are better at writing characters.

What's a well written female to you?

good post.

Cite some
examples.

Yes.

Any one I can jack to.

OH YOU!

youtube.com/watch?v=iYVO5bUFww0

nice try officer

Depends on the series and how the characters are handled.

They don't write them worse

>No. They write better men, in my opinion.
Yup, Ranma was a fine-ass man.

I don't know, but I do know that a disproportionate amount of my favorite female characters were created by female mangakas

Until they get pregnant.

That same author made Winry, so at least half of your argument is invalid. Also what this user said

What's special about Hawkeye? She just told Mustang not to burn Envy for some cliched reason.

I see you're going to a funeral, but still wearing the shoes of the devil.

It all depends on the demographic, not the mangaka's gender. It's usually token, stereotypical female characters in shounen and token, stereotypical male characters in shoujo.

All girls in Utena.

Usually when a man writes bad female characters, I get the impression that he just fundamentally doesn't understand how women act or maybe has some weird complex about them

When women write bad female characters, I get the impression they're either straight up bad writers or are being lazy

I can forgive an honest attempt from someone with a lack of skill more than I can someone who just doesn't know what they're on about or is bringing in a lot of baggage

>they write better men
How can you even think of that? A lot of authors idealize the opposite gender and fail to make them believable, this goes for both men and women.

Yeah.
When I read idealized males in media written by women I'm usually..strangely enough...flattered.

When I read Idealized females in media made by men I'm either all damn dude, get a grip, or muh waifu.

I'm not gay but I really like it when guys are good looking and have bromance vibes.

uh...
that's kinda bi...

Everybody likes good-looking people, especially little girls. That's why shoujo manga is full of bishounen and bishoujo.

Get this medieval mindset out of Sup Forums.

>They write better men
Utter nonsense.

Men written by women tend to be stoic edgelords, borderline rapists and generally horrible people.

Are you implying that Riza "Mary Sue" Hawkeye is a well written character?

Two shit characters from a shit anime?

you gay. bruv

Explain how she's a Mary Sue so we can laugh at you.

Men write better women because they know best what men find attractive in women. Men write better men because they know best what men cherish in other men.
For women it's essentially the same, but for the female perspective.

Certainly, there are works that can appeal to either genders, but in general, a man will have a better time reading something from a male perspective and a woman will have a better time reading something written from the female perspective.

That's because men tend to be stoic edgelords, borderline rapists and generally horrible people

how? can she even preform alchemy?

Arakawa isn't that good at females. Her men are good though.

>borderline rapists

So just for clarity, where does this border lay exactly. Like does it only count penetration or what?

That's still better than the introverted, door-opening, don't-make-me-angry alternative.

Benis between legs

t. fag/woman

they're either this, or pretty much just a woman in a man's body.

But anywhere else is good?

I'm neither, I'm just annoyed with the character type. To the point I can't stand it unless it's done ironically or as a bokken in a gag.

>a bokken in a gag

I though at least Sup Forums would appreciate a joke that doesn't translate.

Absolutely, yes!

Pretty much this

I just watched Nana and I don't think a man could actually get away with writing this.

Mainly because the protagonist is a selfish, insecure, indecisive, infantile cunt who is self-aware about how it fucks up her life. It's not surprising so many women relate to it. If this was written by a man, I actually think he would have been accused of misogyny.

I'm a little girl. Can't be gay, memeposter.

>stoic edgelords, borderline rapists and generally horrible people
APOLOGISE

>Do female mangaka write better female characters?
Maybe

Women are terrible at writing bromances because they don't know what real friendship is

>When I read idealized males in media written by women I'm usually..strangely enough...flattered.
Can you give me some examples?

(you)

This.

She's the best girl? Do you need more reasons?

Best girl in a series full of mediocre girls (including her) doesn't mean anything.

I guess

Pretty shit taste senpai.

They write cuter ones for sure.

>Women are terrible at writing
FTFY

jesus christ i really cant stand that Riza isn't real
brb gensokyo

>I have never read literature

>reading degenerate shit written by women

Female mangakas always write weak characters with zero personality meanwhile all men are rapists meanwhile other female character dont exist.

So, she fucked Mustang or at the end they are just acquaintances at work and love?

Agreed

Akatsuki no Yona has pretty good bromance without it being gay

When he becomes fuhrer he probably did.

between whom?

>comparison with only one = sign
What kind of disgusting language does that?

Yes.

I don't thjnk you know what Mary Sue is. Riza is just good at what she does, and anything else is not shown on screen. if anything, she is a just under developed. not like Winry, or Lust.

maybe this is because I am basing this of the first FMA series, but Lust was a fantastic character. honestly, i think all her characters are good, but Lust really stood out as complicated, well rounded, and having a good deal of interesting internal conflict

this is a trope from waaaaaay back. looking at shit like Twilight and 50 Shades of Gray, its clear the trope is not done yet, either. its just some stupid reptile-brain bullshit that all women are vulnerable to. good female writers don't do this.

>Dorohedoro is written by a woman
>relationships between main couples are all extremely adorable despite the setting being surreal and morbid as fuck

>Lust really stood out as complicated, well rounded, and having a good deal of interesting internal conflict
are you talking about 2003 lust?

eh... don't know the dates. the one from the first series. I haven't seen the second

Love is in the air should be the OP of the non-existing anime.

dorohedoro is extremely fucking based

t. Tumblr