The Japanese voice acting is just as bad as dubs, you just can't tell because you don't understand the language

>the Japanese voice acting is just as bad as dubs, you just can't tell because you don't understand the language
I've been hearing this argument for years and I guess some of you have too, but how true is it?
I understand Japanese a little and the original voice acting seems miles better than dubs to me, but I most definitely can't say I speak the language.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vsEfUJA6NTo
youtube.com/watch?v=xU3dfRgLCIw
youtube.com/watch?v=D99MLua-Qiw
youtube.com/watch?v=mjHxypw1bDQ
youtube.com/watch?v=qjzLuddjIUI
youtube.com/watch?v=ec2tc-Pa4vw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>you just can't tell
That is enough for me. I just don't want to be distracted. Original voices have never distracted me.
Well maybe Goku's squeaky voice

It's bulltshit.

There are cases where the Japanese voice bothers me.
It's extremly rare, more recent case was Koi To Uso.
Well the shittier the characters and story is the more you'll pick up on bad voices.

Racists who think that Japanese voices are annoying and can't recognize the difference in range and emotion say this. Japanese VAs give a shit about their job, that's much less common in dubs.

>you can't recognize feelings just through cadence
It's retarded

Most of those cases for me have been characters that are meant to have annoying voices so I guess it's okay.

>you just can't tell because you don't understand the language

yeah this argument is silly. it's like saying you can't tell if someone is a good singer unless they sing in your language.

That's what you get for watching dubs.

>People replying seriously to an obvious bait thread

>top actors of a country with a massive animation industry, each with years of experience and skills sharp like katana
vs.
>random underpaid weebs

Nah, it's probably just an illusion.

having lived in japan for some years and able to pick on half of what they are saying by word recognition and context. I find the Japanese VAs are better than american dub VAs. the japanese ones always sound like they are being directed and emote properly on all the lines. While american dub VAs sound like they are just reading and only emote where the script gives them a cue for it. This blandness is also present in american animation VA work.

>but how true is it?
Just an excuse, nothing else.

No. As someone who understands both languages I can tell you the Japanese voice acting is far more polised. And even if you cannot understand Japanese you should be able to recognize the inflections of the voices or the difference in tempo.

Anyone who's watched Himegoto can tell you that user.

Goodness or badness are relative, but what I can tell you is that having watched enough anime, I can easily tell when they bring in some rookie, idol production company pushed, completely fucking awful retard to voice a character in Japanese.

Dubs are always going to be up and down depending on the company. It is just how it goes, but I don't think I've ever heard a "bad" actor in a dub, just either apathetic acting or bad directing. Or both. Back in the 80s and early 90s we had some horrible fucking dub acting, but it hasn't been that bad in over two decades.

>completely fucking awful retard to voice a character in Japanese.
So you've seen Black Clover as well?

That's the most recent example. Earlier this year we had the gawdawful bitch from Nana Maru San Batsu. Jesus Christ whose fucking idea was that?

Comparing to REGULAR Japanese Voices on television and NOT to shitty American dubs.

Inuyashiki is trying this out with the titular grandpa character, using a regular actor as opposed to a voice actor. I think it works, frankly. He's obviously NOT an experienced seiyuu, but he's still an actor.

There are only two instances where this annoys me.
1. Goku's granny voice
2. In a lot of shows, especially harems, it sounds like the VAs just give "typecasted" performances that make them borderline interchangeable. There's the "bland male protagonist voice", the "tsundere voice", the "lewd slut voice", the "rich girl voice" etc. and they all sound the same even if it's different VAs doing the voices.

The first is just annoying but exceedingly rare (Goku is the only example I can name of such a horribly mismatched voice, even though the VA is solid and her Gohan is far less grating). The second is a lot more common but just a bit immersion breaking rather than irritating.

>it hasn't been that bad in over two decades
>what is No Game No Life

youtube.com/watch?v=vsEfUJA6NTo
youtube.com/watch?v=xU3dfRgLCIw

Part of it is that the Japanese actors record scenes in the studio together, while western actors tend to voice their lines separately and then they get edited together. This means the conversation isn't as fluid.

Please don't remind me.

>Do your "lewd slut" drills Ayaka-chan.
>Don't wanna.
>But a "lewd slut" voice is integral to your future work as a seiyu!
>Don't care.
>I guess you just aren't cut out to be a seiyu then.

I'll admit, I haven't watched anything dubbed in years. Is the acting "bad" or just uninspired / no direction? There is a difference. A bad actor can turn in a good performance with a good director, but a mediocre-good actor can go to shit without someone to reign their asses in.

While the choice, or continued choice, for Goku's voice might annoy you, the argument is whether she's a bad actress and she isn't.

I haven't watched Black Clover, but the girl in Nana Maru San Batsu wasn't nearly as nightmarishly horrible as that one childhood friend in Star Driver.

I only watched a few scenes, because with dual audio torrents I feel the need to ruin the best scenes by rewatching them dubbed. The actors are bad, almost every character is changed, all the coolness is gone. They even made Shiro sound like an old hag. The worst part for me is that people defend it.

Admittedly, Kawashima (Fukami in NMSB) gets better by the end of the season, but those first couple of episodes are just pure obvious rookie pain. I'm not a huge fan of Kurosawa's voicing of Kumiko Omae either. Compared to the other seiyuu, she stands out in a bad way.

Black Clover's main is just so fucking bad, but the weird part of it is that he plays the hot-blooded shounen battle protagonist so well that he transcends the role into something utterly amazing.

There's also a bigger pool of voice actors due to the money in it. With English dubs you get the same handful of talentless hacks time and time again because no one sane wants to do the job.

This sounds less like "bad" acting and more like not liking the casting choices. Which is a perfectly fine opinion to have, just not the topic. But I'll go watch it to see for myself. I didn't care for NGNL, so watching it 'ruined' wouldn't matter to me.

Not just bad casting choices, I can't imagine these actors sounding good in any context. Don't bother watching it, do something worth your time.

Admittedly, I watched it on fast forward, but Fukami sounded pretty bad. Kumiko wasn't that bad, although for some reason she got worse in the second season, but she was still within the limits of what can be considered an actress.

The one I mentioned from Star Driver was, from what I heard, a random fan who won a lottery and got to voice a couple of lines. I believe it, because that performance was so abysmally bad I remember it like it was yesterday.

And then you listen to some absolutely stellar dubs, like the Legacy of Kain games, and you think of what could be.

While they aren't strictly Sup Forums related, the league voices are a good example.

Oh hell no. I'm obligated now (plus it is "dead week" so I have a lot of free time all of a sudden).

There has only been one dub performance I've felt met Sub level this entire year and that was 9S in fucking Nier Automata. Since both of them managed to pull of the character well, but the sub still wins because 2B and A2 are vastly inferior in English

My favorites are when they go out and find some random person who can speak English to voice westerners. They just did it in Yokai Apato and it came off as both awesome and awful simultaneously.

Two of the ways that you can measure the validity of an argument is A. the presence of a fail state, or a reasonable condition under which the arguer would accept that the argument is false and B. logical consistency.

From my experiences, people who are trying to make this argument always fail at both of these. It doesn't matter what you present to them or who's doing the presenting; there is no fail state for their argument in their minds. And then there's the fact that their argument self-destructs, as by their own reasoning, they're not capable of determining whether the Japanese track is better than the English one.

Basically, they're full of shit.

I loved it when Disgaea 1 kinda-parodied that, with the Yellow Ranger.

>I've been hearing this argument for years and I guess some of you have too, but how true is it?
It's bullshit.

Rewatch the original first, or at least a few episodes, just to get the characters into your head. The worst part is that the dub is almost a straight translation, near identical to most subs (except honorifics and name order obviously), but the characters are still completely different.

>Racists who think that Japanese voices are annoying
>Racists
Why is everything "racist" these days?

Is it like the Cromartie dub, that turned Kamiyama into a snotty ass?

That's not what that user meant. It's not that it's racist, it's racists who usually are spouting it.

There is a massive difference is quality but good dub exists and bad Japanese voice acting exists too although both are rare.
The thing is Anime dub budget is usually low as fuck so they hire shit voice actors who read their lines like the kid in your class who could barely read but was always picked to read aloud.
Voice acting is bigger in Japan, they get payed more, record lines together, get coached, go to voice acting schools, have a bigger pool to choose from and it seems all Japanese Voice actors can sing.

I like Cowboy Bebop, Fullmetal Alchemist and behind closed doors dub.
Grandma Goku is the only Japanese dub that bothered me, it doesn't anymore but I am use to it but I think there is a difference in quality between her and Sean.
The voice she uses just does not seem to match Goku anymore, her gohan is fine and I thought her Black was perfect.

You don't need to know a language to hear tone and emotion. It's actually built into humans at near birth. Go to a baby of any race and in that native language calmly and loving tell it you're going to eat its heart. Then yell words of endearment. Another example is go to a place with a different language and be jovial and friendly but speak words of hate and watch how they react.

You can tell when someone is voice acting better without having to know what they're saying. There's also the fact that you should always watch the original voices first because the original voices have access to the original writers and directors.

No, the dialogue is almost word for word the same as the subs, in terms of actual translation it's one of the best dubs. It's more that Sora's entire cool and in control character is replaced by a loud teenager and Shiro sounds like she's a 30-year old instead of a loli. Her heavy breathing is gone too which is the worst part.
For the other characters it's just the usual dub issues of squeaky women and almost-identical men from what I saw. I only watched the best scenes and the scenes I thought would be censored though.

2B is voiced by fucking Runka Chunk in the dub.
>youtube.com/watch?v=D99MLua-Qiw

No I don't think so.

Japanese VO is better by miles compared to minimum wage weebs in Vancouver, on the other hand their regular actors are fucking awful because all of them try to chew the scenery

Why do shitty localizers feel the need to "fix" the media they're working on?

That's actually not true except for very obvious emotions.

It's genetic roleplaying. Every character from a specific archetype sounds the fucking same; they express their "wide" range of emotions in same "masterfully" way using the same kind of half-assed and exaggerated voice.

I love idiots like you that like making shit out of thin air, and pulling shit out their asses, just to pretend being "intellectuals" with "fine" tastes and appreciation skills.

It literally is though. Not for babies but for adults it is.

>being deaf
I'm so sorry, user.

Honestly even if it's actually shit (it isn't) if it sounds good to you what's the problem? Dubs don't sound good to me, the Japanese usually does.

This

you guys ignore the sheer volume of untrained rookies in anime. Glad someone knows their shit.
I myself have watched plenty of recent dubs and I haven't found a bad one yet in the past 10 years. Granted I haven't seen NGNL dub, the show was terrible.

As for me, I would much prefer dubs over subs and I've been watching anime since 1978 so don't give me any must be a newfag shit. My reasoning is I don't want my attention diverted by subtitles. Sure, I watch fucktons of subs, far far far more than dubs because that's simply what's most available but I would still rather enjoy dubs if given the chance.

And no, you can't read fast enough that you're somehow magically not distracted. That's not how the human brain works.
youtube.com/watch?v=mjHxypw1bDQ

Bullshit.
>Japanese VAs actually work with the original directors etc.
>The Japanese VAs are actually acting
>Dub VAs are imitating

Often Dub VAs are just trying to match how other Dub VAs perform the archetype the character falls into, or just fail at matching the tone of the seiyuu's performance. Dub performances are often worse for this reason; they are adapting an archetypal or worse a non-archetypal Japanese voice performance into an archetypal Dub performance. A good Dub performance has to successfully match the tone of the seiyuu and be a good performance on its own and that rarely happens.

this single incident has singlehandedly converted me to sub only
having sjw horseshit injected into my comfy show about dragon maids is fucking unacceptable and I refuse to run the risk of encountering garbage like this again

>being illiterate
Anyway, you're missing more by having altered dialogue than you are from looking down for 0.1 seconds.

I find the best dubs are from shows that need to convey rudeness but Japanese sensibilities just don't translate well in tone. Shows like Black Lagoon or Desert Punk

>Can't read fast enough that you're magically not distracted
Do you seriously get distracted? Reading subs while watching anime isn't difficult to do at all and it really just sounds like you're having a sook that you can't do it effectively.

That's what I meant, the translation in Cromartie was pretty accurate, the tone of the actor's voice was what changed it. The original had an innocent and rather friendly tone, while the English VA had a rude and exasperated tone, like he was talking to a bunch of idiots, while saying the exact same lines.

While this is true to an extent, a lot of this has to do with typecasting more than acting. There are some pretty damn good seiyuu who, when given the chance to demonstrate some range, do so rather well. Others, not so much.

What's next? That visual novels and eroges are masterful pieces of universal literature? Senpai, it's good to appreciate things for what they are but not for what they aren't.

Sounds like you're going senile, grandpa.

Shit, you're more oldfag than I am. I was BORN in 78. Some of these kids don't know bad dubs for shit. I remember some of the more obscure domestic releases of the 80s that would make even B-movie lovers cringe.

Not anime or Manga

fuck off

Then yes, like that. That sounds like it would be fun, though. This is just painful.

???

>Recognizing Emotions in a Foreign Language
link.spri nger.c om/art icle/10.1007/s10 919-0 08-00 65-7
hmm.

Perhaps the problem is recognizing roughly what is being said emotionwise?

Nah.

CR fucks up nonetheless. Through the dark lord Amen.

>reddit spacing
I'm not clicking that shit, archive it or fuck off.

I was watching Rurouni Kenshin the other day and the english dub sounded way better than the Japanese.

Yeah but Itadakimasu having weird subs has always been a thing, this is literally the only thing I can partially forgive CR for, if only because they didn't start it.

I'm never going to watch NGNL's dub, but I get what you're describing because I've seen it happen before. It never stops being terrible.

Spam-Filter got set off somehow by the link to the abstract.

It's not my fault if English dubbers are failed actors who just don't give a single damn shit and basically just read the script. If we had some professional actors pouring their sould into each and every role then things might be different. Meanwhile in Japan anime VAs are a serious thing, people follow their favourite ones as much as some superstar and the most important ones make the same numbers as one.

youtube.com/watch?v=qjzLuddjIUI
Like, look at how good the voice actor of this trailer is, think about him voicing some villain, he might even outperformed the original one. Trust me, people won't complain as much.

>and pulling shit out their asses, just to pretend being "intellectuals" with "fine" tastes and appreciation skills
this is what complete fucktards who love to eat shit say to feel better about themeselves.

Have you seen the original?

Kill yourself

It is about anime though.

You're old that's why you can't watch anime and read subs at the same time, you need your medicine gramps.

>comparing people talking normally to cartoon voice actors
Are you retarded?

union talents vs underpaid scabs - wonder who's better

Yeah, which is why I get frustrated sometimes, these kids don't honestly know bad dubs.

here's one.
youtube.com/watch?v=ec2tc-Pa4vw

The translations for Gabriel Dropout got progressively more bizarre on the localizations until that episode, then the complaints got huge and CRoll put the kibosh on it. I believe Crunchy hired some former sub groups to be their subbers, and that adventure has always made me wonder if they hired coalguy's old crew.

Yes, that's why I don't want to ruin it with the dub, even more so after reading your description. I've heard this exact loli->old woman change in some scenes I really loved.

People involved in dubs are bottom of the barrel garbage that couldn't get a job with any sort of real media production and settled for the only thing that would have them.

They're diferent levels of bad, newer dubs are still bad

Ok, if this is true and I can't tell, so what?

If I can tell something is bad and impacts my viewing experience negatively because I know it's bad, like english dubs, versus something that I don't hear as bad and it doesn't affect it in a bad way, then I'm gonna take the original voice actors any day.

Bouyomi is definitely more prevalent than people think.

For example, while she eventually did become much better, I always thought it was funny how some Anons loved Omigawa while she was still embarrassingly bad at acting, likely because they were entirely ignorant of that fact.

Hells bells that itadakimasu wasn't as bad as the rest of the shit they did to butcher the subs

Felt like they hired someone from the memecartel to do the english subs. The spanish subs were accurate.

There's always hipsters and contrarians.

>you guys ignore the sheer volume of untrained rookies in anime.
You are greatly overestimating how often that happen, to the point that when it does happen it become the talk of board.
Thing is that bad Japanese dubbing is more or less at the level of average American dubs, while average Nip (i.e. typecasted/generic) is what is considered good American dubbing.
Then you get the infrequent instances of good Japanese dubbing that just have no American comparison. I mean can you imagine watching Rakugo dubbed?

That reference was the final drop.

Hentai dubs is cheating, though.

>It's not my fault if English dubbers are failed actors who just don't give a single damn shit and basically just read the script

This is utter BS. A lot of the actors who do dubs also do other forms of media, including video game voice overs. Ever play Borderlands 2? The guy who voiced the psychos? That's Krillin's dub voice. Tiny Tina is done by the same gal who did Sasha in Attack on Titan.

There are a lot of good actors there, but they're in, as it was pointed out, relatively low budget and frankly working with amateur directors / script writers. The anime dubbing industry isn't profitable / large enough to facilitate the kinds of support staff talent (read: directors / voice directors) to bring about quality acting performances every single time. This is exasperated by FUNimation wanting to do "speed" dubbing in order to put out a product in as close to the original air date as possible.

The majority of the audience who would watch Maid Dragoon dubed in english in the first place probably enjoyed that quip

>I think it works,
It doesn't, he sounds like shit. It seems the greentext in OP does apply to you.

If you didn't alter the script and had good VAs like Hank Azaria dubs might be watchable. As it stands anime dubs are shit they have interns do