What makes a good fight scene?

The choreography? The action? Flow? Music?

Post fights that got you hype and how they did so.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Z1PCtIaM_GQ
a.pomf.cat/yspekd.webm
youtube.com/watch?v=HfSMNh7OVbs
youtube.com/watch?v=xT66YPk0Q5w
youtube.com/watch?v=ZgQKVKT3RpU&t=326s
youtu.be/EEI-NCTsiPE
medium.com/@tonyszhou/postmortem-1b338537fabc
youtube.com/watch?v=rEn0x1DCk4A
youtube.com/watch?v=-BCbopEpY-I
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Wait when did that happen?

Fanmade.

Tension. A fight where the outcome is known beforehand is boring. A fight where there are no consequences is boring. Without some kind of reason to get invested in what is happening, you're just watching animation directors showing off.

of course it's MHA that actually has fans with talent

of course it's MHA which needs fans to make good fights

The long and short term narrative impact of the fight:
>Long-term
Why the characters are at odds, what their motivations are and why they couldnt resolve with words.
>short-term
What each moves' significance is - why does sasuke keep splitting apart Naruto's hands during the fight, why does Bakugou go full offensive instead of using any defensive moves against Deku, why do Zodd and Guts team up against Ganishka etc

All the rest, sound design, animation etc is just to keep the senses entertained while the brain works in the background.

kek

>165493582
>baiting this poorly
Sup Forums has gotten so amateur it's pathetic

Did you fucking delete your post then remake it with a shitty meme pic, while both times getting the link to the post you were referencing wrong? You got some dedication.

This, but I think variety of moves is important too

>All-Might vs Noumu
>Saitama vs Genos
>Saitama vs Boros
>The original DBZ Goku vs Cell
>Dio vs Jotaro from the 90's OVA

How much shit taste do I have lads?

all to see if I could get your little ass to respond, that's real bait

a high budget

They're all good fight scenes (I havent watched DBZ though, but I'd probably say it lasts too long), for the reasons I mentioned here - also OPM has absolutely stellar animation and sound design

Sausage, sensei!

real fights end with a pedophilic clown having an orgasm so yeah pretty shit taste

>a high budget
not always

>A fight where the outcome is known beforehand is boring.
I disagree to an extent.
I mean, you may know the solution to a math problem but you still have to write down how you got to it.
I kinda feel the same with fights.
Just because I know that Kuwabara is going to lose doesn't necessarily mean that he didn't put

QUALITY animator

You don't even know me!

Honestly looks better than any fight Tsuyu had in the actual series

Absolutely this. Context means the most in a fight scene IMO. It's the reason why I like the Boros scrap so much, to further prove the point that the MC really is unimpressed by the most visually thrilling of fights, even when the animation goes nuts.

Since you start with MHA, why not

I'm a fan of Bakugou Origin in the Anime, mostly because it's got some good build up behind it, and it's very satisfying to watch All Might beat the piss out of Bakugou and Deku before they get the message

Yutapon

Math problems don't usually require a level of visceral interest. Unless you're into that kind of thing, that is. I'm not saying a fight can't be considered "good" in a subjective sense by others because of things, but to me the really good ones require something. A build up, a climax, some kind of story elements that draw me in. Just watching people punching / kicking / swinging swords at each other without any meaning or purpose does nothing for me.

I like fights the emphasize the strengths of the participants. I want to see the best versus the best. Having flaws is great for character development but I don't care about that during a combat scene. The one that first comes to my mind is this (which I have a better webm at home so sorry for this thing that google found) It's not just fighting with everything you have but doing it in your own unique way. Substitute someone else and it would be completely different. I think this is also what BNHA does well with the different quirks. Because each fighter is unique there's something worth watching no matter why they're fighting or who the winner ends up being. You can cheer for the loser and feel good about it if you like their style.

Oh, but it also has to be extremely well animated too. No potatoes.

I haven't seen a Froppy move like that since Psycho Pass.

I actually found that whole bit very unsatisfying, because there was no danger, no stakes whatsoever, and All Might held back so ridiculously even without counting the weights. Neither were going to be tossed-out for losing to the all time number one hero, All Might wasn't going to kill anyone, All Might gave them constant breaks unpursued to talk it out. Bakugo didn't learn, change or get broken through to in any significant way, Midoriya didn't affect how Bakugo looks at him or will continue to look at him at all.

There wasn't anything there except some big hits in the fight. We didn't even see Bakugo's acrobatic skills give us anything cool to look at choreography-wise (or Midoriya's newfound skills). The most dramatic hit was a 5% punch Midoriya hit All Might with that didn't even move him or throw wind, but we say was "everything he had" because he's not allowed to go higher right now. Midoriya didn't unleash anything impressive but it was the end of the fight because reasons.

Honestly as a season climax, I thought it was plain bad. Even their scuffle in the Combat Training part of season 1 was more dramatic, impacted the characters' dynamic massively more and had far cooler sequences. That was neither a climax nor the most intense thing in that season.

Why is it that people who criticize this series can't do so without sounding like a fucking idiot?

The best fight scenes are effectively dialogues between the characters involved. A fight can have cool choreography and be well animated, but if it's there just for the sake of being there it won't make much of an impact

My favorite fight scene is at the end of Sword of the Stranger

I'd argue that most of it's strength and satisfaction comes from the characters. Obviously, All Might wont kill them, but the question becomes 'Will they actually succeed in co-operating'

So, as a result, a lot of the impact the episode has on the revelations about the characters - we also learn, more succinctly, just why Izuku still seems to look up to Bakugou, despite the guy being such an ass.

I disagree that Izuku didn't change Bakugous impression of him - it's a pretty big impact, all things considered - Bakugou's just a salty asshole at everyone, the fact he's toned down how pissed he is at Izuku to a level more like how he treats the others is a huge step for them

It really helps to hammer out the future impact that the other arcs have. It may not have been the biggest thing this last season , but it's still a favorite

>mfw this was me with 90% of Deku fights before the end of the sports festival arc
Every single time he fucked up his limbs Recovery Girl was there to remove any and all tension besides a fucking crooked hand.

It looks great but missed the point of the character IMO

At least you're honest about sucking dick unlike the rest of these jokers.

in essence, clarity and proper editing. lots of animated fight scenes have good impact but sometimes the fighting can be unclear because of constant cuts so they don't have to animate difficult angles. context, music, and dialogue can be great for setting the atmosphere for a potentially gratifying fight, but that's where the fight scene usually takes a backseat role and it becomes more of a charged dialogue instead so I don't consider them full on fight scenes.

Dunno, MHA is liked a watered-down shonen for me and a comfy treat to watch with my cousins, other than that I can't get invested in the sries unless they drop another All-might fighting scene

You do realize your entire stance is flawed for the sheer fact that the MC is never going to fucking die right? You even list OPM as having good fights when there's no fucking tenson in them according to you.

Goddamn thanks for that video, user!

>Tony "I get asspained at another video blowing me the fuck out so I'm going to quit every frame of painting" the faggot

If it's done by Toriyama

>caring about youtube drama
I'm ascended beyond your brainlet desire for celebrity gossip

Which video was that?

The response video for the one he made on the Marvel Cinematic Universe having bland music but to be fair his argument was retarded as fuck

>Marvel music is bland because it doesn't have anything as memorable as the Star Wars theme or the James Bone them

I never said you had to feel the same as me, user.

But marvel movies aren't memoriable in the slightest?

As an aspiring pseudo mangaka this is really motivating, thanks user!

Best animated choregraphy coming through.

Battle plan changes.
Opponent sees that she's having troubles hitting the MC due to the MC having plenty of room to move around, and instead of persisting in the same idea, escapes to a more favorable terrain, luring MC into it.

At least post the whole thing in not-AIDS quality.

a.pomf.cat/yspekd.webm

youtube.com/watch?v=HfSMNh7OVbs

Obviously choreography. DBZ style beam blasting is terrible but so is random sword slashing or random shooting.

>characters (at least the more important ones) have multiple techniques, not just their signature attacks (looking at you, Saint Seiya)
>characters using moves learned from other players or based on other players'
>characters figuring weaknesses in other players' techniques (bonus points if it's an opponent doing so)
>more than one way to deal with a move that was previously shown

"talent"

If they weren't they would't sell so damn well

The Jackie Chan school of Action Comedy.

What a terrible response and opinion.

>A franchise that has grossed 3 billion dollars is unmemorable

Only Sup Forums would say something so stupid

In manga, good panelling and pacing goes a very long way in making a fight good, it's why OPMs Garou vs. Saitama fight is my all time favorite, despite the art style it's drawn in not being pretty.
Although the verbal thrashing Garou receives after the fight is about over is probably the best part of it all.

RIP Every Frame a Painting

One of the few YouTube channels I really liked

>it's why OPMs Garou vs. Saitama fight is my all time favorite
opinion discarded

Too bad the creator was a thin-skinned faggot

All For One breaking his limbs was more interesting for working like an ammo system than for any long-term drawbacks. What he does with his tenth finger is much more interesting if he's smashed 9 of his fingers already. It's the same tension you get when a cowboy's fired his fifth shot.

What the fuck, what happened?

Someone post that gif of the manga fight where each panel is them jumping around trees and shit.

Cleverness
Expression of personality, physical ability, theme, story, and completeness in the battle.
The weight of it
The flow of it
The choreography can't just look pretty, it has to expose who they are as a person, otherwise it's simply violence for it's own sake.

read the thread

WHAT THE FUCK!!
That's fucking awful!
Look, he should just have a time limit to where he'd be just completely worn out and unable to move. Not just break his fingers and limbs.
That's fucking morbid

youtube.com/watch?v=xT66YPk0Q5w
Sword of the Stranger's end fight was tight.

Naruto fights are GOAT
Stay jelly One Piss fags

>Twitter gif
Go back there MHAfag.

better use of shadow clone jutsu than naruto ever did in his entire goddamn life

>You even list OPM as having good fights when there's no fucking tenson in them according to you.

I haven't listed shit, what the hell are you on about. However, for the sake of argument, you're correct about OPM and that is part of the joke. There is zero reason to expect tension from OPM when it is a comedy.

An example of what I am talking about is the current DBS tournament arc. The stakes are supposed to be high what with the losers having themselves and their entire universe erased, but you'd never fucking know it from how the writers want to depict this shit. Inevitably there will be no consequences anyway, as somehow all the erased people are going to get brought back, so this tournament ends up being a 60 episode waste of fucking time.

>Its suppose to be shit

Fuck off

youtube.com/watch?v=ZgQKVKT3RpU&t=326s

fast pacing is good

The otter-mode and the human ladder during the Sasuke fight were good.
And he probably double-teamed Hinata with them more than once, so that's a plus.

>Tsuyu
>Using her hands to do anything except throw people
>Not having a fighting style that's almost all kicks and capoeira style kicking tongue whipping and throws.

Seriously, what are you on about? I have not once praised the fights in OPM. In fact, I am agreeing with you that they're pointless ultra flashy animation director pieces of masturbation. It doesn't matter as much as with a serious fighting anime, though, because it's supposed to be this way. I know Saitama is going to win, because that's the crux of the joke. It is a parody. I didn't watch OPM to be entertained by the battles.

Hell, I'm not even sure why I watched OPM. I didn't like it very much. The joke was done in one episode.

>I didn't watch OPM to be entertained by the battles.

Fuck off.
Take your hard on for SUPER SERIAL REALISTIC ANIMATED FIGHTAN somewhere else.
I'm sure there's a sneakly rotoscopped scene in an anime you have to pick out and hold up as a brilliant piece of animation.

Okay, you just want to you, so, have fun with that.

I like how the hacks making super ripped off this scene and added it to that sub shit tier and retarded kamehawave set piece in ep...the one with kefla.

Characters improving (bonus points if the MC triggers a character development) along with the MC, which helps give the reader a feel that if the MC doesn't keep improving, he/she will be surpassed and left behind. Which almost happened with the MC, when she turned pro.
Also, it's fun to imagine end-game versions (or just future versions) of certain characters steamroll their past (non-endgame) opponents.

youtu.be/EEI-NCTsiPE

What made this my favorite fight was how far it took it self. You got a robot that's the size of the moon? Well let's make it the size of galaxy. We can combine with one other Ganmen? Fuck that, let's ALL combine. It set up it's own rules early on in the series then went beyond them by the end, even more so in the movies.

It's also a combination of things, the setup/context, the OP playing in the background, the characters involved in the fight, the stakes, etc.

This was great and you know it

medium.com/@tonyszhou/postmortem-1b338537fabc

fluidity and actual body contact is important. Beam spam shit is almost always worthless no matter how well animated

O

Rather just smoother taijustu, Naruto already used his clones to change direction in air before.

>Stamina management (which can also be used to show how much better/less flawed certain characters are compared to others)
>Characters not minding stalling/timerscamming their opponents as an option
>Movement/positioning options and awareness of the surroundings mattering

>literally rotoscoping marvel movies

Does anybody have a good webm of the fight scene from Rebellion? I can only find ones that are cut down or full of artifacts. Say what you will of the movie, but that sequence was pretty incredible.

It's one of many requirements.

>Gon just floating in mid air for more than six seconds. Being able to change directions while in mid air.
Why do people think this is good?

youtube.com/watch?v=rEn0x1DCk4A
>What Makes A Fight Scene Interesting?

youtube.com/watch?v=-BCbopEpY-I
>Anime Editorial: What Makes a Fight Scene?

I think it's supposed to be sped up slow motion

>Super Eyepatch Wolf

Fuck off