What made Vegeta such a better character than Sasuke

What made Vegeta such a better character than Sasuke

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=I3v0iTZ16nY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

How so? At least Sasuke was not cucked by his rival all the time

They are both terrible

Both of them were terribly-constructed characters. What the fuck are you talking about, OP?

You know what, you all are right

Ignore this thread please

They're not even the same archetype. Dark and brooding =/= constantly angry.

Vegeta gets character development and has fairly consistent goals.

Except he isn't. Stop pretending DBZ is anything but a poorly constructed shitshow for brainlets, the plot and characters is just a poor excuse to show action on screen. Naruto on the other hand has actual plot and when shit happens it is actually relevant to the world and characters, you can argue is bad or no but at least Naruto has actual plot and characters.

You are not expected to take Vegeta seriously.

They're both terrible, and I like them both.

I just don't take their series' seriously.

MUH PRIDE
and uh
MUH BULMA
and uh
PRINCE OF ALL SAIYAJINS

No plot armor. Vegeta got his shit kicked in all the time and was hated by all of the Z-Fighters. Sasuke is a Marty Stu, loved despite what he does, and doesn't have to work half as hard as Vegeta. That last one is a major part of why Vegeta is liked at all despite being a cunt; he works his ass off for his power. Sasuke just waits for his eyes to level up turning him into the strongest member of the cast.

Adding to the above this Is exactly why Sasuke is so terrible. He's an author's pet; you can tell that the creator was so gay for him that he couldn't even bear to have him lose. Sasuke took over the entire show.

This. The series isn't afraid to dump a shit on Vegeta and his obsessions, just like BnHA isn't afraid to shit on Bakugou. Sasuke, meanwhile, was revered by everybody along her, even fucking Orochimaru decided to become good again because Sasuke inspired him or some shit like that. Not all characters have to be likeable, but if a character isn't, then have the other characters and the world treat them like they deserve.

But also, in Vegeta's defense, he made Namek saga way more memorable.

Toriyama regularly took the piss out of Vegeta, where Kishi mostly sucked Sauce’s dick the entire series. Cold, arrogant rivals work less well when they’re more like enemies and never show a better/different side of themselves. Hiei is a good example of a more Sauce-like rival done better.

Vegeta's character is easier to relate to. He's a Saiyan, sure, but he doesn't have the same had powerups as Goku. At the same time he tries so hard and is so prideful you can't help but root for him, even if he's morally ambiguous for 90% of the series.

He's also not some edgelord doing dark shit for no reason. He's on the earthlings side, and helps them quite a bit.

Sasuke was just hell-bent on revenge. He did ridiculous things for the sake of being evil as he thought that being evil somehow makes you stronger.
He was a MUCH better character when he didn't leave for Orochimaru. If he stayed in the hidden leaf, but we just constantly saw his determination and hatred while not being directly against the main characters, he would have been so much more endearing.
To top it off, they just turn around and forgive Sasuke. At least when Vegeta betrayed everyone in the Buu saga, he payed for him by blowing himself up.

I have vague memories of watching both of these shows when I was younger, but I've largely avoided Shonen stuff over the past years.

What's the best way to get into Dragonball?

Because that's not saying much or anything at all, really. My dog has a better character arc than either, and I never had a dog.

With Dragon Ball...duh

Both are shit unlikable characters. One is an edgelord and the other is a generic bad boy. Honestly, it is a mystery how any of them can have such a huge fanbase unless edgelords and fujoshits have that much a huge presence in fandom

DBZ kai. No filler, most scenes are better.

I don't know what to tell you about regular dragon Ball though.
It's a lot more light hearted and humourous, kind of like One Piece, except it doesn't have heart wrenching arcs in-between. Just really bad fights.

Shouldn't it be watched chronologically?

I dunno man, I think that actually getting into melee braws in DB are a better showing off of combat than the beamspamming and machinegun punch dances that Z often passes for combat. Not that they are fantastic by themselves, just that Z was a degradation of DB's fighting

The only good fights were near the end anyway.

You only need to know a few things really.

Goku is a Saiyan, saiyans can turn into apes on a full moon.

Piccolo joins them.

Red Ribbon Army hates Goku.

That's really it, you'll get to know Bulma, Krillin and the rest in DBZ. Though they were much better friends in DB, and people like Yamcha weren't a joke.

Confirmed for not watching Dragon Ball. I don't know how you made it past the first 40 episodes of One Piece.

Yes.

Everything after Tao Pai Pai is better than beamspamming.

youtube.com/watch?v=I3v0iTZ16nY

Your nostalgia.

Vegeta is objectively just as shit.

The treatment humans in general got in Z was outright horrible. Even people who always lagged behind like Yamcha had their time to shine in original dragon ball and they legit felt like a group of martial artist with some degree of friendship. In Z, they are barely there, just jobbers to show how strong the new villain is and with luck they at least get rid of the mooks of the villain of the story arc and maaaybe do s single interesting thing like Tenshinhan stalling Cell with kikohou spam (which by the way was a fucking deadly technique in DB that could be used once, twice at best before being tired as fuck)

Alright, thanks. I'm downloading Dragon Ball now.

>kind of like One Piece, except it isn't shitty melodramatic cringefest

FTFY

Read the manga first, it's much better, the pacing of the anime is absolutely revolting, plus the usual added shit from Toei is just annoying.

Vegeta isn't an emo faggot like Sauce. Also, Vegeta had fairly good character depth and development, whereas Sasuke has little to no personality to speak of. They aren't even comparable, what the fuck are you on about?

Vegeta was a cocky prick, and still is. But Toriyama wasn't afraid to make him look bad or making him acknowledge when he was wrong.

Sasuke in the other hand goes from kid with trauma and a revenge desire, to some edgelord that just wanted to destroy things because he felt like he should. Everytime Sasuke was proved wrong he prefered to ignore it and to go in full denial. After that, he does something retarded.

Vegeta is the only anime character ever to make a receding hairline look cool

Sasuke pre shippuden was a very good character

Doesn't feel that way since vegeta comes off as a jealous cuck while sasuke feels to be of equal standing to naruto

Sasuke exists only because Vegeta existed. Naruto only exists as it is because Shonen didn't want a comic about a ramen shop and all the other Dragon Ball clones did really well.

Vegeta actually grew as a person and became a decent supporting character.

Sasuke, well, yeah, sorry...

Vegeta shows interest (and love) in his family.

toriyama hated vegeta
kishimoto loved sasuke

Can the anime still be enjoyed, or should I give it a miss?

Vegeta lost frequently, actually developed a moral high-ground compared to Goku, and his autism is generally played for laughs. He's not a good character, but compared to Sasuke he's not wanked off all the time.

Doesn't being flawed, nuanced and entertaining make him at least a decent character?

Once you read the manga (which is faster anyway) you will know the story, so when you watch the anime you can skip the boring stuff and watch your favorite scenes animated.
It's still enjoyable, since you get to see fight scenes animated and with sound, but you will know what I mean about pacing issues when you start the anime.

What the fuck? Vegeta its a terrible character, even worse than Sasuke. Kishimoto writing will always be better than "muh save the universe",

Alright, cheers. I generally prefer watching stuff since I can work while it's on, but if the anime ends up sucking a bit I'll focus on the mango.

Because he's a step toward the perfection of shonen rivals

who's this? looks dumb

How is Hiei even a rival? He never gives a fuck about beating Yusuke after the one time he was an enemy.

Dragon ball is for brainlets but this is one of my favorite pages on manga

Are those stances even practical? Because they don't look cool.

Vegeta was only kept in the show because Toriyama realized he fucked up by making Goku an alien and therefore had an overwhelming advantage in power over the entire rest of the cast. He literally could not write other characters other than Piccolo to keep up with him and have it be realistic. Somebody had to be around.

>a kid acts more immature than an adult
wow who would have thought

>Toriyama realized he fucked up by making Goku an alien

He didn't realize this, he even made Goku into super man with some of his new works

Esto, Bakugo is best shonin rival

He was allowed to lose and more importantly, understand that he's only 2nd best.

I forgot that goku just straight up kills people without a chance to surrender as a kid

They're not comparable in the least. Vegeta started out unabashedly evil but turned into a decent character after he was exposed to a more peaceful society. He is basically the shonen equivalent of turning a whore into a housewife.

In contrast, Sasuke was just a faggot.

Tamburine was both a mutant and a namekia, neither of which are people.

He did the same with the RR army though. And adult goku gave freiza a chance to live, he totally would have given tambourine a chance.

>"Sasuke is a marty stu"
>Loses nearly all the fights he's in during the series

Vegeta loved being evil

He also loves being the hero. He just likes the attention both bring.

To this day Vegeta is still butthurt about Goku being better than him, despite his monologue in the Buu saga. He also refused to help Goku with the Genki Dama like an idiot.

Meanwhile Sasuke is bro tier nowadays.

If he has helped with the Genki Dama, Goku would have been hit by the love shot, dumbass.

Nardo is much more cringy than dbz. Don't let the retarded boruto niggers tell you otherwise.

They're both edgy as fuckm but since Vegeta's shorter he isn't a chad, so he's more endearing of a rival to the MC. Naruto was so much better of a person than Sasuke, whereas Vegeta's development give him some moral bonus points over Goku.

Dragon Ball is one of the least cringy shonen actually.

80% of Nardo, Huan Piss and Bleach consist of cheesy melodramatic flashbacks. One Piece is the the biggest offender, literally every single character has a backstory as cringe worthy as Sasuke's.

Meamwhile, Dragon Ball is pretty much bullshit free. Other than Frieza destroying Planet Vegeta there is next to no angst.

trips of truth

Vegeta was a bitch, but at least he wasn't constantly obsessed over by the other main characters. And he lost a lot too, instead of getting his ass saved by constant asspulls.