Both arguably one of the best directors the medium has ever had. but which one is better?

both arguably one of the best directors the medium has ever had. but which one is better?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/wZWOOaQFHRk?t=2h26s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

equivalent of posting a pixar and disney director on Sup Forums saying how they're the best evar what's the point

anime is primarily a televised medium.

I love both but Miyazaki appeals to me more.

David Lynch:

-Has made TV shows
-Has made animation and comics
-Is considered a greatest director
-Is liked on Sup Forums
-Directed a Disney film

I guess you're wrong. Miyazaki is the better director, by the way.

overrated

nope

The one not associated with John Lasseter at the moment

Takahata is the better director and storyteller. He's able to create incredibly realistic characters and scenarios, like in Jarinko Chie and Omoide Poroporo. Even when he was just assistant director for Orochi and the Dragon or Anju to Zushiomaru, you could already feel his distinct narrative style and fully realized characters. He's also able to take classic stories like Heidi, Gauche the Cellist or Kaguya-hime and add his own touch and depth while remaining faithful to the original.

Miyazaki is a better animator and storyboarder than director. His films have been lackluster since Spirited Away. The Wind Rises was decent, but not a true return to form. That said, his work in the 20th century was almost always masterful, and certainly some of the best films ever made.

They both worked in television for decades, fucking retard.

Masami Obari.

Osamu Dezaki

>right
Wakamoto sure has aged a lot since I last saw him.

Welp, you've already said exactly what I came to say. Guess I'll just leave this picture of young Miyazaki and Takahata waving pretend axes around and be on my merry way.

Anime was a mistake

Takahata is not even an animator as far I know.

I prefer to watch something made by some one who doesn't hate what he spent his life making.

I never said he was.

Takahata is better than Miyazaki by the only metric that matters.

Takahata is the best slice of life director in the history of anime
Miyazaki is great, but his only strength over Takahata is that he's willing to approach more fantastical material

He doesn't hate his own work.
He's rightfully bitter about the direction the anime industry went.

If Miyazaki had his way anime would literally just be children's cartoons, look at how he sterilized Lupin.

Thank god he did. Anime Lupin is a much better character than the manga's bitter edgelord.

i'm glad you and miyazaki are bitter

I'm glad you and manga Lupin are both edgelords.

I definitely think that Miyazaki is a bit too edgie and set in his old ways. Has to be his way or the high way, everything has to be a super meangingful master piece or it's worthless. I like his movies, but I mean they're pretty much all the same thing. Still super enjoyable.

not even about lupin being an edgelord, he turned the tv show into a fairy tale where literally no one even dies.

How are Porco Rosso, Totoro, The Wind Rises, and Mononoke-hime all the same thing?
It's a slapstick comedy, dude. Also, Monkey Punch loved Miyazaki's work on Lupin.

He still sanitized it to fit his own vision. miyazaki doesnt have the balls to make anything that doesnt have a happily ever after, he just wants to make morally wholesome fairy tales. literally the only anime he's directed which ends on a different note is The Wind Rises, which is probably why he meant it to be his swan song, and unsurprisingly it was nowhere near as good as takahata's work.

Friend, you clearly really like Miyazaki, I like him but not enough to defend him to the death. It's not so much it's the same story, it's that it's done in the same style and fashion. It's not a bad thing, but Miyazaki is MIYAZAKI. He doesn't do anything different, it's his shtick, which is good, but it's already the same kinda thing. I don't see him pushing any boundaries of his own.

Stupid edgelord, why does it matter of he uses happy endings? Not a valid complaint.
You didn't answer my question.

>not a valid complaint
yes it is. how many great directors out there only create works where everything conveniently turns out for the best? none, because they're not making work for children. thank fuck takahata was around to push the industry forward.

>how many great directors out there only create works where everything conveniently turns out for the best?
Hayao Miyazaki, for one. Of course, I'm more worried about execution than having an edgy ending and being unsanitary.

Takahata, Miyazaki learnt everything he knows from him

Ok, why was this deleted? The guy didn't say anything outside the conversation.

Nearly every Miyazaki film ends on a bittersweet note. Only a child sees the endings as happy, which I think is the point.

his films are only "bittersweet" in that the characters go through some hardships so they can teach a moral lesson to children.

Have you never seen Mononoke-hime?

He probably deleted it himself because he clearly didn't read the post he replied to.

Totoro - mom still sick, illness (based on a real life terminal illness Miyazaki's mother had) is never resolved.
Mononoke - forest spirit dies forever, irontown is rebuilt, industrialization continues.
Spirited Away - Chihiro is separated from Haku, maybe never to see him again.

I mean, they're not sad endings, but calling them "happily ever after" endings is a stretch.

youtu.be/wZWOOaQFHRk?t=2h26s

Read his nausicaa manga and then go choke on your words.

Miyazaki is more my thing, but they're both good.

What about his more recent films?