Im 42 minutes into this. why the fuck don't they just exchange cell phone numbers...

im 42 minutes into this. why the fuck don't they just exchange cell phone numbers? they have the awareness to leave each other notes while occupying the others body.... why not just write down the fucking cell phone number and call when they are back in their own bodies? this is fucking stupid.

You must be extremely stupid to not realize that they are not living in the same time. Also they did exchange numbers, otherwise how would Taki have tried to call Mitsuha after his failed date with Okudera?

OP is a guy who pauses in the middle of a movie to post on Sup Forums

im a little further. i really gave this is a shot but it fucking sucks. lol fuck japan

CELLPHONE-LOVE FINDS A WAY

t. never been in love

>no capitalisation
>no punctuation
>lol fuck japan
Nice bait thread.

Or how the dude forgot about a giant ass comet that completely wipes a town from existence

>fuck japan
...is this by chance, your first experience with anime?

what's with all these bait threads about KNNW? is hollywood trying to do some kind of hit-job to diminish the universal negative response to them buying the rights?

"Love makes you blind"
Fucking virgins

Yeah, but they don't realize it until right at the end. The whole time they thought that they live in the same time. Really doesn't explain why they never even try to talk to each other.

Because it's a overrated piece of shit movie

they had no need to talk to each other, although it would've been more convenient than leaving notes
I'm pretty sure they only wanted to talk after they started to like each other

This was the worst.

>first anime?
no. ive liked anime since dragonball used play sunday mornings in the 90s. after that my next experience that got me in touch with more anime was when Last Exile came on adult swim. i love the first ~60ish episodes of Bleach.
this movie acts like human beings of the opposite sex are just mysterious and good and oh if only you could spend a day in their shoes! teehee!
but the reality is that all humans are predators, they have tools and boundaries and with those as their guidelines they pursue the act of fucking who they want to fuck to fulfill their drive for power. sometimes they behave in a way they can sleep at night, sometimes they dont and become alcoholics or pot smokers or whatever to keep their circadian rhythm happy. sometimes they use stimulants to get an edge against the competition or to trick their ego into thinking they are powerful even though they are really failures. but the general rule is the same: people want to fuck, and they all have an idea of WHO they want to fuck. this is the basis of all human behavior.
fuck these imaginary people who are all innocence and naivete. have you ever met people like this in real life? i have. they go to weird churches in rural areas and were homeschooled. they are fucking unsettling. they have a glassy, wide-eyed stare as they ask "ARE YOU SAVED?!" they are not like the characters in this film.

I recognise this typing. Can't be though.

They could have checked the calendar and oticed sosmething was off.
Taki could have not completely forgotten about a comet strike in a rural area in his own country.

But other than that, it was pretty solid, I saw how digibro couldn't understand how messages just deleted themselves and they lost memories of what happened and thought it was just manufactured suspense, but I disagree. What I understood is that the story got rewritten like so:
Mitsuha has a feeling about the comet and warned her friends and they played that whole evacuation plan and it worked. She didn't know that she swapped bodies with a boy from the future but then always had a feeling she was looking for someone. Taki was the same, only difference is that he went to visit the comet sight but doesn't remember why he did it, also a feeling of looking for someone.

Now because history "fixed itself" their memories and text never really happened, they got erased. If I were to claim there could be a downside for them keeping their memories, perhaps some sort of time loop, that could be broken very easily if Mitsuha met Taki in 2013-ish again, maybe causing him to not go to the village and switch with Mitsuha one last time? I dunno, but it felt like it worked the way it was intended to for me.

Not the smatest story, but I just didn't want this movie to be freaky friday, so I enjoyed it.

Forget that shit, how the fuck did they not notice they're living in different time frames? Like how the fuck do you go on living for months without noticing the year is off? You write that shit down in your fucking notebook at school, it comes up on TV, newspapers, everywhere. You see new cars on the streets every year. How the fuck do you pass a cinema billboard and not wonder to yourself "wait, why is this shit that was on screen YEARS ago being show now?"

It's part of their memories fading when they wake up.

There, explained.

The time between him actually knowing the name of the town and comet was pretty damn small, he wasn't exactly given a huge amount of time to search his memory.

Can you remember the name of the region over Russia where a comet exploded with enough energy that you could read a newspaper in London in the middle of the night? That's a really famous one should be easy.

How about the town of the Station nightclub fire?

wtf do people actually do this, pause things halfway and then go shitpost on Sup Forums

In Mitsuha's case, she has never been to Tokyo, she is from a rural area of Japan, so not many things for her to notice are different when she swaps, the setting is already different enough. Same for Taki, though Taki has less of an excuse, because he can notice stuff in the TV on Mitsuha's house.

As for newspapers, I never actually picked up a newspaper in my teen years and I know very few teens that care. Different cars are fairly irrelevant, I see old cars in my granphather's farm. Mitsuha wouldn't notice movies, or any advertisment in tokyo to be different, she would think everything is new. Taki would just suppose stuff is slow and old in Mitsuha's village because "lol farmers".

But they could have looked at the calendar, like, that isss just inexcusable, they both had one in their rooms, it showed in the film.

>Can you remember the name of the region over Russia where a comet exploded

No but I know the name of the city and the year a little meteorite fell on, in my own country. Difficult to remember in other countries, yes, but the comet fell in Japan, where Taki lives.

>I see old cars in my granphather's farm
Do you also see Mitsubishis from 2023 going around the streets as well?
And again. At least when I was in school, it was a common practice to date your work each day in your notebooks.

The calendars had the month and day, but not the year, and if you notice closely, the days of the week were different.

If I were a farm girl, every car in tokyo would look like a hovercraft from 2100, how are you still thinking this argument is relevant nigga?

Don't how how is japanese work and school, but yeah, probably they could have nooticed the year was off there too.

because i was informed that this film was some kind of grand sensation that shocked and wowed audiences across japan and i got the same lies about human nature that exist in any other fluffy wuffy body pillow tv/film work. what a crock of shit.

you're a fucking sad dude my man, no wonder you couldn't enjoy this
I mean I'd agree that love isn't so simple and straightforward like in this movie, or any fictional story for that matter, but not all men just walk around trying to manipulate girls into giving ass

>It's part of their memories fading when they wake up.
That bullshit made me angrier than anything else in the movie.
Anything not related to the plot was retained, anything that was part of the plot was forgotten.

The town name? The year? Each other's names? The entire comet incident? Forgotten
How to live each other's lives down to very minute detail? Retained

Are you pretending to be retarded

its telling that you think im just talking about men's behavior towards women. it works both ways.
when you strip away the politeness that people use to trick each other and themselves into believing they are "good" all you are left with is a naked agenda. go ahead and fool yourself if you want, i understand that many people can't face the truth.

>when you strip away everything you finally manage to arrive to my stupid reductionist views
Woah dude no way. That's deep.

Yes. I have done so on multiple occasions.

oh no your right actually i just looked out my window and saw a rainbow and then a fluffy golden retriever ran up and kissed me on the lips and then an old widower ww2 veteran in the distance sat at a diner with a picture of his dead wife every day and everyone cried tears of joy... you're so right..

It's part of the narrative and needed to tell the story. Good grief. If they figured it out right at the start and had all the answers, how could the story possibly turn out? Oh yeah they're dead.

If your narrative is so goddamn fragile you need your characters to be functionally retarded just for it to work, then perhaps you should consider the idea of telling your story in a different way?

Sadly gen z has had their brain fried by social media since early childhood so it is difficult for them to enjoy something alone or to engage with anything without interruption.

Alright, please rework the script for me where the main characters are bonafide geniuses with max level deduction skills. I'm listening.

>gen z
im 31 years old and im snowed in so i thought id enjoy an anime i had heard a lot about and instead of enjoying it it was so hammy and stupid that it pissed me off so i made this thread.
nobody in this thread has anything good to say about this film. i see people talking SHIT about it, but nobody in support of it has said anything about it, they just attack me instead of defending the material. why? because its indefensible. its garbage.

Not them but Your Name did have some shoddy narrative writing. It's one thing to set up your narrative to flow naturally while asking for a bit of suspension of disbelief from the audience, but to shove everything under "It's Musubi, I ain't gotta explain shit" is pure laziness.
I get that the movie was more about the visuals than the story, but the people who criticize the plot convenience do have a point.

>noticing you're living several years in the past within the span of a couple of months is only possible if you're a bonafide genius with max level deduction skills. I'm a genuine fucknut.
I'm not going to rework shit, you goddamn idiot. Go fuck yourself.

Okay, cool. He notices that he's several years in the past. Everything is concluded, he goes to bed that day and calls it quit. End of movie i suppose.

Why so mad?

>i love the first ~60ish episodes of Bleach.
Ok.
>this movie acts like human beings of the opposite sex are just mysterious and good and oh if only you could spend a day in their shoes! teehee!
It doesn't though. It show that boys and girls tend to behave differently and if you were given the ol' switcheroo the people around you would comment on how you act differently.>but the reality is that all humans are predators, they have tools and boundaries and with those as their guidelines they pursue the act of fucking who they want to fuck to fulfill their drive for power. sometimes they behave in a way they can sleep at night, sometimes they dont and become alcoholics or pot smokers or whatever to keep their circadian rhythm happy. sometimes they use stimulants to get an edge against the competition or to trick their ego into thinking they are powerful even though they are really failures. but the general rule is the same: people want to fuck, and they all have an idea of WHO they want to fuck. this is the basis of all human behavior.
What has this actually got to do anything? The characters in the show show us they have these desires and act accordingly, just casuse they aren't jacking up in public bathrooms doesn't meen they aren't feeling things.>fuck these imaginary people who are all innocence and naivete. have you ever met people like this in real life? i have. they go to weird churches in rural areas and were homeschooled. they are fucking unsettling. they have a glassy, wide-eyed stare as they ask "ARE YOU SAVED?!" they are not like the characters in this film.
What are you even fucking talking about now?

all im saying is the hype doesnt match the product. i didnt expect it to, i generally expect hype to mean the product equals hype divided by 2. half hype = product. but KNNW is more like .00000000000000000001 per cent of the hype it got. thats all im saying.

>What are you even fucking talking about now?
He's a hormonal teen who has just discovered nihilism. Let him brood.

>all im saying is the hype doesnt match the product.
Why cause it isn't some trash pile filled with edgy teens? If you went into this thinking it was going to be that then you are just a fucking melt lad.

they are on the opposite end of the spectrum of behavior from edgy teens, which is just as bad.

Except they aren't. They are just regular kids.

not everyone is like you, Joker

>regular kids
lol not where im from guy

Because where you are from repesents the whole world including countries where the people are just plain different? Fucking autist.

>my understanding of the entirety of humanity, all ages, is based entirely on my surface level familiarity with a couple of the kids in my class
Maybe one day when you finally get to get away from all the toilet head dunkings you can become a great philosopher, what with all your incredible insight.

so youre such a nice guy where your from that you curse and denigrate people on the autism spectrum? woah how do i move to this lush paradise?

I didn't claim I was a nice guy so learn to read you fucking spaz. So yea my point stands learn about the world you fucking autist before you start claiming everyone is a irredeemable piece or so over the top nice it creepy cause yea people like that do exist at the extreme ends of the spectrum but the great majority is just like the kids in the movie and just normal.

nice strawman, he meant that you don't understand Japan's culture, assuming you're American

OPEN WIDE

HERE COMES THE CHOO CHOO TRAIN

You just got to ignore what's bad about it, then it's good.

Lol the comet in Russia didn't kill thousands of people and wipe out an entire town, if something the US happened in that proportion in this day in age, it'd be all over the news and you wouldn't be able to not see the name of the town

JUST A SMALL TOWN GIRL

LIVING IN A LONELY WORLD

SHE TOOK THE MIDNIGHT TRAIN GOING ANYWHERE

Nice show but so overrated

whitout using google tell me how many massive earthquakes we had THIS YEAR alone?
Tip: its more than 3