Pre-2000 anime

What are you guys gonna watch over the holidays?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tpoIiK8gk8c
youtube.com/watch?v=p3FsbF_Aito
youtube.com/watch?v=wId7utadqgk
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Still cranking out Urusei Yatsura in between my non anime animation shows

Just about to hit Beautiful Dreamer.

Rewatch SDF Macross after I got Bunnyhat's BD version a while ago. Looks gorgeous. Aside from that I'll either start Hokuto no Ken or Maison Ikkoku as the show where I watch two or three episodes a night before going to sleep.

This when I'm done with uni.

Just finished the Devilman OVAs and I feel a little bit empty.

Read Devilman? If you have you'll have to wait for Crybaby.

How is the Devilman series from the 70s? I've heard it's notoriously bad.

Need to finish Gaim and Dirty Pair over break
I probably won't though.

I have warm feelings for oldnime, but for some reason can't make myself watch it anymore, prefering live-action movies instead.
I'm stuck with KOR and City Hunter 2. I keep telling myself to remove CH2 from the hard drive, but for some reason I can't make myself do it as well as keep watching.

Yeah, I'll definitely do that. I need something to watch as well though.

Not gonna lie, but I totally avoided that. It's easy to understand what's going on between each OVA anyway, just as long as you understand that there will be tons of "monster of the week" filler between each. That, or you can just read the manga + OVAs.

It's not bad at all, not as good as Mazinger or Cutie Honey from Toei, but it isn't bad.

The problem is the manga is a 10/10. The show isn't that.

Two shows that really only work as a once-in-a-blue-moon kind of anime. Sucks you can't get into it, I have the same problem with new stuff.

Watching Ashita no Joe, Lupin the Third part 2 and just finished Agent Aika, Cardcaptor Sakura and Neo Tokyo

Nothing. I only watch seasonal anime, like any overly self-respecting shithead on this board

Rewatching for like the ninth time. For some reason this time of the year gets me in the mood for retro sci fi.

I've been watching Fist of the North Star, really like it.
On a related note, is Mobile Suit Gundam Zeta worth watching? The animation and art-style look amazing but I don't know if i will carry the whole thing. I was going to watch Macross, is that better?

Does this shit get any better after the third episode?
I wanted to like it based on the premise and the "theatrical" style, but the deliberate overacting really put me off. It feels like a series of five-minute shorts that were padded out by making every line of dialogue a scenery-chewing monologue.

I didn't like Zeta compared to 0079. It felt needlessly complicated and had too many recycled plot points.

Yes, you should try Zeta. And Macross.

Thoughts on the space battleship yamato?

Started watching Space Pirate Mito, started good but show goes to shit really fast, still gonna finish it.

I've started Martian Succesor Nadesico, good so far, Gais the best by a mile
i know he comes back apparently but i still miss him

Not worth it unless you've watched the original, they take place in the same story
Even then, there is a mixed consensus on Zeta.
I personally admire some parts of it but overall think it was worse than the original in all ways plot and character related, the only improvements were in animation

Watch Zeta if you've seen the original Mobile Suit Gundam and then decide for yourself, it's a very divisive topic on Sup Forums and /m/
If you haven't seen the original then go watch it now

I loved it. Very fun and campy. Some good gore in parts as well for a 70s show.

>Does this shit get any better after the third episode?
yes.

Just finished Yamato Season 2 last night. I prefer it over the film version. I love this series.

Devilman

Finish up Initial D stage 1, probably start stage 2

I started watching Ai Shite Night, but I've put it on hold and now I'm rewatching Yuri on Ice. I regret NOTHING.

More on-topic: I watched Wicked City recently. I wasn't all that impressed, to be honest. It looked good, but that's about it. I really, truly hated that old guy they were guarding. That type of character has always pissed me right the fuck off, but in this setting he felt really incongruous.

I think Zeta is brilliantly written and that most people get it wrong on their first time watching it. Tomino really packs the show densely and it is easy to miss important details of the story and the characterization. It isn't really an accessible show.

Macross is probably the best story in all of anime - but goddamn, for about ten episodes the animation gets atrocious. After that it picks up and goes from good to fantastic - but you really need to be invested in the plot and characters in order to get through those ten episodes painlessly.

Currently I am working on Orguss. The plot finally got going in a serious way after meandering a bit and I am hooked - Mikimoto's character designs look consistently great, and I am really growing fond of the cast. I have 20 episodes to go and I have a feeling that it is about to get really rewarding.

I watched the Sanctuary OVA, which was a neat little gritty crime/political drama. The characters were a bit meh, and it could have used some more sakuga. But the art was fitting and the plot was tight and definitely had me engaged.

I also watched 1001 Nights, which was astonishing despite about a minute of awkward cgi.

I think I am going to go for a classic 80s or 90s movie tonight after I get my work done. On one hand I have been wanting to watch The Dagger of Kamui or Night on the Galactic Railroad - I also kind of want some hyper violent schlock as well, hard decisions.

About to finish Babel II OVA. Still confused why of all the OVAs from that era, this little known one got a BluRay release. Where's Gall Force, or Dirty Pair, Silent Mobius, Ah! My Goddess, and so on.

Finished the Escaflowne series and movie.
>great animation
>fun villain
>good pacing

The only thing stopping me from ever re-watching it is the MC who suffered from useless shoujo heroine syndrome.

Night on the Galactic Railroad is a real trip.
Also, Macross is nowhere close to the best story in anime, not that it's bad by any means.

You forgot god-tier OST. Easily my favorite OP of all time.

I loved Wicked City for the visuals, aesthetic, music and general ideas. I feel that if it was edited better and some of the more gruesome and gratuitous parts were lessened (and the old guy either removed or greatly improved) it could have been an instant classic.

This based on the Jack London novel? I didn't realize there was an anime of this. I'll have to add that to my list.

The only issue I have with Wicked City is the plot twist at the end, other than that it seems like pretty top tiered schlock to me.

I've yet to see a better story in anime than Macross personally - and I'm not exactly a new viewer.

I finished rewatching it a few days ago. Wish they had even more money to do a 3 cour while keeping the animation standards high.

OST is gorgeous.

>hurr durr I'm such a good pilot
>Minmay so cute
>wait this other chick is cute too
>MUSIC!??!? WTF OUR ARMY IS DEAD
>I'm going to go fuck my wife beating drunk cousin now
>OTP, so gratifying, much triangle
BRAVO

Yeah it's top-tier schlock, but I think if it followed the changes I suggested it could be above that.
And I didn't mind the plot-twists actually, but if some changes were made it would make more sense.
I just think the first 10 or so minutes are fantastic with the atmosphere and everything, but as soon as the old guy's added it goes down hill.

Can someone recommend me some non ecchi with good nudity

>tfw probably gonna cry out of self pity again when the yearly Christmas charol thread gets posted

Kanashimi no Belladonna
Ghost in the Shell
Gunbuster? Although that might be ecchi.

I know that's all kind of entry level, but most nudity is either not that great or in a show that's clearly ecchi.

How is tourettes screeching in text form supposed to be a critique ?

Macross is such a great story because of the way it seamlessly integrates the idol story with the sci fi story and the love triangle, each element is integrally related to the other two to the point where you can't do justice to any of the parts by separating them out.

Just look at how it covers the themes of military vs civilian life. It integrates them on one level by incorporating the idol story into the combat through it being one of the main parts of the culture shock that the Zentradi go through that changes the course of the war, on another level through the contrast between the two is at the root of the Zentradi developing as a species as they learn about the lost protoculture their shared origins with humans, since they do not have civilian life while the humans do, and it it is exemplified by the problems that come up between Hikaru and Minmei, and why Misa is the better choice, because Hikaru and Minmei live in totally separate worlds due to Hikaru being in the millitary. Its incredibly tight in its construction and the thematic unity is really masterful from a writing standpoint.

I'm happy with it keeping all the over the top violence and sex personally. I don't have an issue with the old man character either, though I think I prefer the one from Ninja Scroll - which is kind of the improved Wicked City 2.0 in a lot of ways.

Unfortunately Beautiful Dreamer is the best Urusei Yatsura has to offer, specifically because of Mamoru Oshii's directing style. Shame they fired him for it because he was better at the show than the new dudes.

I'm fine with the over the top violence and sex too, but it could be more tastefully done. For example, shots 'linger' a bit too long so they feel more exploitative and gratuitous than shocking and emotional.

Does anyone know if Argento Soma used Cells or is all digital? Kinda hard to tell with this one. It looks digital but sometimes it doesnt.

>White Fang
holy shit it might be

Been watching City Hunter. Ryo is a straight up fucking molester. Get this nigga off the streets.

From the colors I'd guess digital, but it's hard to tell when the only releases are so low-res.

Just finished the Dark Tournament Arc of YYH.

Does anybody know why the colors, and I guess the animation looked so weird in EP 66?

God I hate characters like this, exactly the reason I couldn't get through Urusei Yatsura. Ataru is a despicable serial molester and one of the most hatable characters I've ever seen.

Weird. I was in the mood for some cell animated anime and thought this would be the one but I cant tell if its actually animated like that. Seems like its not that obvious
Is there a way to find out how its being done? The staff list does list some digital work.

What year was it? It's possible for some 2000 and 2001 anime to still be analog, like Noir.

Topo Gigio.

Watching for the first time. I am going to have a stroke by the time I finish this.

Its from fall season 2000, sunrise. I checked noir again and it does look cell animated Whereas as soma looks to be almost switching between the two.

Yeah, I found this series arousing as well.

Noir's BD makes it plain to see it's cel.

If Soma is digital then I wonder why shows that came 3 years later looked so much worse. To me it looks Cell animated too.

This is beautiful...

Finally finished rewatching Dragonball. There should have been way more stuff that showed the rest of the world and people in it. There are a bunch of cool designs that are just fodder background characters. Also something I didn't realize until I rewatched it, do they ever bring up Launch liking Tien ever again? I don't remember it showing up in DBZ at all.

It's definitely a combination of the two.

Would you be interest in Fighting Mecha Xabungle?

I still have this show in my backlog but the OP is god tier.

Its actually one im thinking about picking up after Nadesico. The mechs look great and that op is amazing.
HAYATE NO YOUNI
XABUNGURU

Great anime, exelent OP
youtube.com/watch?v=tpoIiK8gk8c

I have a real hard time getting into most of the generic 70's-90's mecha. They are too samey to chain watch so I have to space them out to like once a year.

V Gundam is so underrated

A secret top tier animu

Xabungle had more of a MadMax vibe to it that space scifi but I see why you would feel that.

Warning: Do not watch Victory Gundam. No matter how alluring those bikini soldiers are. It isn't worth it.

>>fun villain

>tfw you're talking about Dilandu when the villain is actually Dornkirk

how does it feel that Gurren Lagann is closer to the 90s than the present?

I was watching Fist of the North Star before grad school kicked me in the balls. Semester's finally almost done, so I'll probably pick it back up once I finish cracking this last paper out in the next few days.

I thought it was a C-average anime that was elevated by a pretty amazing soundtrack.

Will continue to watch this over my break. I want to catch up on Attack no. 1 as well, and finish Akage no Anne finally.

nice, totally forgot my pic.
also plan on watching tokimeki tonight sporadically when I'm in the mood.

DBZ showed it at the start with some filler moments with the last scene being her getting drunk in reaction to hearing of his death.

>I have 20 episodes (of orguss) to go
Oh boy you're in for a ride. It drags for a while in the last quarter, but the ending is spectacular.

I'm getting mixed messages here.

I just started watching Doremi. It counts, right?

I was, but evil Isaac Newton who looks like he stepped out of Dune is fun in his own dumb way.

what's a fucking holiday

I don't get any paid vacation time because this is fucking Mexico

While I don't love Kimagure Orange Road. I gotta say, those OP and ED songs are gold. Meiko Nakahara and Kanako Wada made some good tunes.

youtube.com/watch?v=p3FsbF_Aito

youtube.com/watch?v=wId7utadqgk

>California Crisis cels on Y!A
Wew, this is what a remaster would look like.

Watching Utena and enjoying it very much so far, only at the beginning right now.
Also card captor Sakura which is also very good, great nostalgic trip.

Finally watched MD Geist 1 and 2. It was worth it. Dude had a grenade on his knife.

YA-MA-TO!

Just got done watching the Ideon tv series, now on to watch Be Invoked. Hoping it's as good as everyone says.

I'm watching Ebichu.
It's fun.

Gonna watch Nadia, Akage no Anne and Giant Robo.
I've heard good things.

watched S1 of the original Yamato a few weeks back, no moved onto Harlock.

Seems alright.

Hell yeah my nigga, that shit is great!

just started watching MSG ZZ and the change in tone is really weird. also new mc is just as annoying as kamille

>Make robot catwaifu
>No cat ears 99% of the time
why.jpg

I saw the first Nuku Nuku OVA a few days ago, it was pretty okay, worth watching but the action and serious plot parts were less fun than the regular life parts.
Nuku Nuku is what Project A-ko wishes it could have been

xenophobia, the anime

despite the amounts of QUALITY, just the ost and atmosphere made it worth it for me
TOMOYOooo